Prepaid sim card

40ariel

Mouseketeer
I am hoping to purchase a prepaid US sim card for our trip. Any recommendations? Do you purchase before your trip or once in US.

In the past we did this, but now I buy a US eSIM instead so that I don't have to remove my SIM. Most of them are data-only but a few (T-Mobile, e.g.) have calling ability.

We had planned to go to a T-Mobile store after crossing the border and purchasing a T-Mobile SIM card with unlimited data for 30 days. We don't need 30 days but it seemed reasonable. We also don't really need calling ability, it is the data we are after.

We had planned to go to a T-Mobile store after crossing the border and purchasing a T-Mobile SIM card with unlimited data for 30 days. We don't need 30 days but it seemed reasonable. We also don't really need calling ability, it is the data we are after.

For data only, I highly recommend looking into an eSIM - although, of course, your phone has to be compatible with an eSIM. I use Airalo for mine.

How do you keep in contact with home if you change out your SIM?
Whatsapp or Wechat works best if you don't want to use the phone.

I've used Airalo the last few times I've been in the states, and left my Canadian SIM active as the mobile carrier. That way I can take a call if it's an emergency, and eat the roaming charges if I have to - it's a lot cheaper than however much per day it costs to "roam like home".

I will likely try this again when I go to France this summer.

How do you keep in contact with home if you change out your SIM?

With a physical SIM: We use whatsapp, although iMessage would also work for anyone who has an iphone I suppose. Whatsapp will detect that you have a new SIM and will ask whether you want to keep using Whatsapp with your existing number.

With an eSIM like Airalo: you can do as starvenger does and keep your Canadian plan as primary. If you need to take calls or make calls you can still do so on the primary plan. There are also other ways to make calls such as Whatsapp calling, Facetime over wifi, wifi calling.

I will be doing everything I can to avoid paying Telus any roam-like-home fees, the amount I pay for cell phone is high enough already!

Whatsapp or Wechat works best if you don't want to use the phone.

I've used Airalo the last few times I've been in the states, and left my Canadian SIM active as the mobile carrier. That way I can take a call if it's an emergency, and eat the roaming charges if I have to - it's a lot cheaper than however much per day it costs to "roam like home".

I will likely try this again when I go to France this summer.
If I use Airalo eSIM for Data, and leave the Rogers SIM active for phone calls, will I still be charged for Roam like home by Rogers?

No. You'd assign Airalo as your data provider, and Rogers as your phone provider. You'll get hit with per call/text roaming charges, and I would check those prices to see if it works for you.

For example, I'm using Virgin Plus (basically Bell), and they charge $12/day for their "Roam like home" service.
Their a la carte service chargers $2/min on any call and $1 per outgoing message.

Back in Dec 2021, I tried the "Roam like home" as I was in Phoenix for 4 days for my previous job (which, cheapskates that they are, they did not reimburse me for. But I digress). Worked perfectly fine, but that was a $50 hit. That said, I didn't have to worry about roaming charges or using wifi calling when I used my phone, but then again I didn't need to call a whole lot, so it probably wasn't the best use of my money.

In July of 2022, I used Airalo while I was in California. 5GB with a 30 day limit cost me $16USD. On that trip, I DID need to make calls due to my MC getting skimmed, but I was able to do that using wifi calling from my Airbnb, and I was able to do other calls with WhatsApp. So overall my roaming/LD cost was $0

If I use Airalo eSIM for Data, and leave the Rogers SIM active for phone calls, will I still be charged for Roam like home by Rogers?

If you actually make phone calls, then yes. Or if you send SMS text messages. If you stick to imessage, Whatsapp etc, then you won't be charged. I try to stick to Whatsapp so I know I won't be charged. If you get it all set up properly with Airalo, you shouldn't be charged.

If you are worried about roaming charges from Bell, Rogers etc, you can sign up for a Canadian phone number through Fongo and download the app to your phone. You would need a spare phone to leave your Rogers sim in at home and forward your calls to your Fongo number.

No. You'd assign Airalo as your data provider, and Rogers as your phone provider. You'll get hit with per call/text roaming charges, and I would check those prices to see if it works for you.

For example, I'm using Virgin Plus (basically Bell), and they charge $12/day for their "Roam like home" service.
Their a la carte service chargers $2/min on any call and $1 per outgoing message.

Back in Dec 2021, I tried the "Roam like home" as I was in Phoenix for 4 days for my previous job (which, cheapskates that they are, they did not reimburse me for. But I digress). Worked perfectly fine, but that was a $50 hit. That said, I didn't have to worry about roaming charges or using wifi calling when I used my phone, but then again I didn't need to call a whole lot, so it probably wasn't the best use of my money.

In July of 2022, I used Airalo while I was in California. 5GB with a 30 day limit cost me $16USD. On that trip, I DID need to make calls due to my MC getting skimmed, but I was able to do that using wifi calling from my Airbnb, and I was able to do other calls with WhatsApp. So overall my roaming/LD cost was $0
I am with Virgin Plus as well. We used to get a 30 day package for $60 but it is no longer available. With the a la carte do you just pay for calls and text? What about roaming charges?

You'll get hit with those when you make calls unfortunately but if you stick with wifi calling and messaging apps you won't have a lot of true roaming.

I was considering using Airalo on my next Disney trip. Do you buy it when you get there or do you buy while in Canada?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter