• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Probably a risky topic: kids on planes

I don't understand why you should feel 'deeply offended' by my comments - As I said it's a very subjective matter. The people who's children you find a problem may think that their children are well behaved, surely it's all relative.

I have been on flights with problem adults but it seems acceptable to address these people but if you address a parent you are viewed as being intolerant.

This is a forum where everyone is entitled to an opinion and I just don't understand why you should feel so 'deeply offended'.

I've travelled with children and no matter how hard you try children will be children. So why is it so unreasonable for people who travel without children to want a child free zone?

I'm offended as you class all parents the same - they are not. It's like saying all childless couples travelling will behave the same - they won't, some will get drunk and behave horrendously on flights, some will not. Do you want them seperated too? How for do you want this segregation to go, once you're in your little bubble? Short people over there? Tall people over there? Salary band A over there, Salary band B over there? Left-wing over there? Right-wing over there?
Society includes children, those children travel on holiday - face it, you will have to come into contact with them, be them good or bad.
Most of the time it's the luck of the draw who you get to sit near, regardless of which fare class you choose, there is nothing you can do about it, we have ALL suffered from it, some of us have been the cause of it. You just have to take the rough with the smooth when in a confined space with a mix of people.
Unfortunately, in my opinion there is a cancer running through this country and it's called "lazy parenting". I put time, patience and lots and lots of effort in the upbringing of my children - I see it as my full time job, and guess what? MOST of the time I see the results. However, I don't claim to always get it right.
Many other parents do not, many children are given anything they want to keep them quiet, these parents speak to their children as if they are peers (giving them too many choices etc), many parents do not want to be the baddies anymore, they are frightened of their own children! This leads to children having few manners and little respect for adults around them and those they come into contact with. In short, it's the characteristics of a spolt brat!

'on a plane'

This thread has totally proved my point, we dare not make any comments about children without being made to feel like the childcatcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!!

The idea was to try and satisfy everyone, but what comes across is that some parents want it all!!

I'm taking cover now!! :rotfl:

If "wanting it all" is wanting to be treated like any other person in society? If it is, then yes, I can confirm - I do want it all!

I'm offended as you class all parents the same - they are not. It's like saying all childless couples travelling will behave the same - they won't, some will get drunk and behave horrendously on flights, some will not. Do you want them seperated too? How for do you want this segregation to go, once you're in your little bubble? Short people over there? Tall people over there? Salary band A over there, Salary band B over there? Left-wing over there? Right-wing over there?
Society includes children, those children travel on holiday - face it, you will have to come into contact with them, be them good or bad.
Most of the time it's the luck of the draw who you get to sit near, regardless of which fare class you choose, there is nothing you can do about it, we have ALL suffered from it, some of us have been the cause of it. You just have to take the rough with the smooth when in a confined space with a mix of people.
!

Excellent post, completely articulates what I have been trying to say, I am with you 100% on this.:)

I would love a new children section on the plane for me in the future. It would be easier for the people with children as well as the people without. BTW I have 3 and 1/2 kids

My wife and myself took our 3 year old granddaughter to Orlando last March, while we were seasoned travellers Caitlin had never been near an airplane. We went VA and sat upstairs in PE. Granny sat with Caitlin and I sat in front.

From the time we got on the plane to the time we got off she was as good as gold. We were concerned about take off with her ears but she did not bat an eyelid. She ate her meals OK, watched a bit of TV and slept well.

There were even comments on how good she was. Even had those around us in fits of laughter when over New York we hit a bit of turbulance and she shouted out ''grandad I want to get off and walk the rest of the way''. I am certain the lady opposite wet herself.

It is a long flight and kids are kids. I have been on flights where kids misbehave and the parents are too busy drinking to tell them off. We made sure Caitlin had plenty to occupy her plus a few special treats we have packed.

She is by no means perfect but not all kids are the same

Behaviour anywhere whether on planes or at home is down to the parents. Maybe that is why our country is such a mess at the moment with kids out of control. The parents are too busy to discipline them

Would not hesitate taking her again that is for certain

My wife and myself took our 3 year old granddaughter to Orlando last March, while we were seasoned travellers Caitlin had never been near an airplane. We went VA and sat upstairs in PE. Granny sat with Caitlin and I sat in front.

From the time we got on the plane to the time we got off she was as good as gold. We were concerned about take off with her ears but she did not bat an eyelid. She ate her meals OK, watched a bit of TV and slept well.

There were even comments on how good she was. Even had those around us in fits of laughter when over New York we hit a bit of turbulance and she shouted out ''grandad I want to get off and walk the rest of the way''. I am certain the lady opposite wet herself.

It is a long flight and kids are kids. I have been on flights where kids misbehave and the parents are too busy drinking to tell them off. We made sure Caitlin had plenty to occupy her plus a few special treats we have packed.

She is by no means perfect but not all kids are the same

Behaviour anywhere whether on planes or at home is down to the parents. Maybe that is why our country is such a mess at the moment with kids out of control. The parents are too busy to discipline them

Would not hesitate taking her again that is for certain

''grandad I want to get off and walk the rest of the way'' So sweet!:thumbsup2

We flew with our 3 month old & our 14 month old. We flew with Virgin. We were seated in what certainly seemed like "the nursery" there were only families with children around us. We were also made to wait until everyone else had gotten on the plane before we were allowed to board. Not an easy hour and a 1/2 with 2 crying babies. The babies were crying because we were trying to hold them both as well as hand luggage. We were standing because several couples were sitting down. I should imagine they were complaining about the noise. I know I certainly got looks. Funny thing is, all it would have taken was for 1 couple to offer us their seats. Instead of complaining about the noise, why not see if there is something you can do to help. Some people are just downright selfish. Perhaps the airlines should consider a better policy for people with children if they want the children not to be upset and unhappy. We were appalled and have sent a letter of complaint.

By the way, both of the babies were very well behaved throughout the flight. DD (3 month old) slept for most of the flight and DS (14 month old) watched the seatback TV until he fell asleep.

The only time we had any problem was getting on the plane and going thru passport control, where we were again struggling to carry everything and everyone.

When did Virgin change their boarding policy? It always used to be those needing special assistance and families travelling with small children, followed by UC, PE, then rear to front in sections. Admittedly, these days we tend to turn up right at the end of boarding time, so I haven't been around to witness the order of boarding.

Don't know when they changed it. We flew in November last year. Ironically, we chose Virgin because we'd heard of the policy you're talking about.

We flew with our 3 month old & our 14 month old. We flew with Virgin. We were seated in what certainly seemed like "the nursery" there were only families with children around us. We were also made to wait until everyone else had gotten on the plane before we were allowed to board. Not an easy hour and a 1/2 with 2 crying babies. The babies were crying because we were trying to hold them both as well as hand luggage. We were standing because several couples were sitting down. I should imagine they were complaining about the noise. I know I certainly got looks. Funny thing is, all it would have taken was for 1 couple to offer us their seats. Instead of complaining about the noise, why not see if there is something you can do to help. Some people are just downright selfish. Perhaps the airlines should consider a better policy for people with children if they want the children not to be upset and unhappy. We were appalled and have sent a letter of complaint.

By the way, both of the babies were very well behaved throughout the flight. DD (3 month old) slept for most of the flight and DS (14 month old) watched the seatback TV until he fell asleep.

The only time we had any problem was getting on the plane and going thru passport control, where we were again struggling to carry everything and everyone.

I too thought Virgin had a 'Families With Small Children on first' policy! How awful for you struggling like that. I don't know what it is about that boarding area but it seems to bring out the worst in people - last time a woman had a go at my son for 'pushing in' when he was simply joining me to go thro' as a PE passenger! We've all got seats - there's not a problem... Anyway, I shall remember your post next time I fly and keep an eye out for anyone who looks like they need a hand. Might make the time seem a little less stressful...

Hi Im wth you an adult area would be perfect, who is going to tell VA what a unique selling point it could be. My girls are now 13 and 16 and we have travelled to mco for past 15 years, the girls have never been allowed to run up and down the isles as you describe and incidentally we also experienced the last twice we travelled PE wth VA. really frustrating I know all that money to upgrade and the parents wont or cant control them. on the flip side we came back upper and there was a young girl say 5 or 6 who was a credit to her parents and enjoyed the movies peacefully, we only knew she was there as we we sitting next to them. so you can t win. good luck with the next flight

we took our 6yr old grandaughter,to hawaii last year.on the leg from heathrow to L.A,the captain was waiting for us, when we were disembarking.
he told kiera,that he had been told,she had been a pleasure all the flight & he gave her a present ( an overnight vanity bag ) & asked her to marry him,to which she told him 'i don't think my daddy would like that'
i was really worried about taking her,such a long way,but she was as good as gold,even when i fell asleep & the stewardesses,came round with drinks,they said she used her manners.
saying that,all children are different & certainly have different boredom levels & i certainly realise,that we couldv'e easily not been so lucky,so i try my best not to judge,other passengers with children & am more than willing,to let situations go over my head & just try to enjoy the flight.
it must make it harder,when some people are so judgemental.we have 2 new grandchildren due this year & who knows,our next trip could be so different!!!
tracy

now tell me where do I get grandparents for my children that are so nice as to take them all the way to hawaii ? LOL

Going out with my new little un(will be 8 months)in july.
Hope im not sat to some people who have occupied this thread.
Surely 9 hrs cant be that long for all you dinky people?
Ho Hum!

Priceless :goodvibes

chip&dale
we take her everywhere,that holiday was to hawaii,then on to florida.this year it's san francisco,then onto florida.i wouldn't go without her.however in the space of a week,the grandchildren have grown from 1 to 5.we have been told,there are 2 on the way.1 in aug,1 in sept,then last week my husbands son,was succesful with his adoption,so next month we will have 2 adopted grandsons aged 3 & 5.this has all happened within about 7 days.
so we may become,that nightmare family:rotfl2:
tracy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter