Question about Expedition Everest

I love EE (and coasters in general) but have noticed its much more extreme if you ride in the back. I would maybe try to get up front for your first time to see if you like it. The front somehow seemed a lot less intense to me. After like 7 rides in a row in the back we got put in the front and I wondered if they had slowed it down for that trip.

If your not worried about a "spoiler alert" search youtube for EE and you'll find a real time video of someone on the ride. It gives you a good idea of how fast it goes and how long it goes backwards.

Watching a ride video gave me the courage to ride, knowing about the backwards drop was key. I rode with my family, and I was ok, but I will not ride again. We rode twice in a row (with 25 min line wait in between) and experienced enough motion sickness to have to keep my head down by my knees all through the "Finding Nemo" show.

Everybody is different, but watching the video will help you decide for yourself.

If your not worried about a "spoiler alert" search youtube for EE and you'll find a real time video of someone on the ride. It gives you a good idea of how fast it goes and how long it goes backwards.

Watching a ride video gave me the courage to ride, knowing about the backwards drop was key. I rode with my family, and I was ok, but I will not ride again. We rode twice in a row (with 25 min line wait in between) and experienced enough motion sickness to have to keep my head down by my knees all through the "Finding Nemo" show.

Everybody is different, but watching the video will help you decide for yourself.

When it goes backwards it's not a drop,it's a helix.

EE doesn't compare to BTMRR. EE goes 50mph BTMRR only 35. Do not ride on the front or the back for the first time both places will be more intense. I am not a big roller coaster fan but I ride everything in Disney that is my limit.

I am not good with roller-coasters. Just can't take 'em. I can take spinning all day long but it's the drops that my stomach can't seem to handle. For that reason, I haven't gone on Expedition Everest. I love Big Thunder Mt. Railroad, Test Track, and have gone on Space Mt (although I must admit I don't particularly enjoy Space Mt).

I am thinking about trying Expedition Everest and would like to ask someone else who might have a similar "problem" if they have tried Everest and how that worked out? Is EE similar to any of these other attractions?
I don't have a similar problem, but I'm a big fan of Expedition Everest and I think if you survived Space Mountain, you could at least give EE a try. I don't feel like it has a bunch of drops. Have you ever done Primeval Whirl? For some reason, that first drop on it scares me more than the drops on any of the roller coasters (aside from Space Mountain which I thought was horrible). But I like Primeval Whirl anyway. :)

I love EE (and coasters in general) but have noticed its much more extreme if you ride in the back. I would maybe try to get up front for your first time to see if you like it. The front somehow seemed a lot less intense to me. After like 7 rides in a row in the back we got put in the front and I wondered if they had slowed it down for that trip.

I agree with the suggestion to ride the coaster from up front. Years ago I had ridden the coaster in one of the back seats and the backwards portion of the ride seemed to feel more intense and I got off feeling dizzy and "sick". Since then I request a seat towards the front. They actually sent my DH and me to the first seat once or twice and before I could say"what...no!" I was in the seat and on our way. It was really cool and I actually loved it lol!

I don't have a similar problem, but I'm a big fan of Expedition Everest and I think if you survived Space Mountain, you could at least give EE a try. I don't feel like it has a bunch of drops. Have you ever done Primeval Whirl? For some reason, that first drop on it scares me more than the drops on any of the roller coasters (aside from Space Mountain which I thought was horrible). But I like Primeval Whirl anyway. :)

Funny you should mention Primeval Whirl. We went on it a couple of years ago and I had the same experience...the drops bothered me even though they can't be much more than 10 -15 feet. I must have a very weak stomach!

The drop looks much worse than it really is. I remember walking up thinking wow Disney finally has a large drop on a ride. Nope it appears much worse than it is. Also the lift hill you see brings you to the top all at once, you go down in sections.

As for the backwards part I would say their is only a brief moment of G's I wonder if other riders know what I mean? Backwards is pretty smooth except for one 2 second part where you "feel it" I thought it was just me but last trip I asked others in my car and they knew what I meant the G forces while backwards.

It took me 20 years to conquer my fear of coasters but once you, let that genie out of the bottle you will be riding everything. That or thinking your dyeing ;)

If you can ride Space Mountain you will enjoy Everest
This from a major motion sickness suffered that I am as well

I am not good with roller-coasters. Just can't take 'em. I can take spinning all day long but it's the drops that my stomach can't seem to handle. For that reason, I haven't gone on Expedition Everest. I love Big Thunder Mt. Railroad, Test Track, and have gone on Space Mt (although I must admit I don't particularly enjoy Space Mt).

I am thinking about trying Expedition Everest and would like to ask someone else who might have a similar "problem" if they have tried Everest and how that worked out? Is EE similar to any of these other attractions?

This is very similar to how I feel about coasters. LOVE BTMRR!!! I despise big drops, but if there is a slight turn in the drop, I can handle it. This is the situation with EE's big drop. I'm not going to lie, you'll still get the stomach sensation, but it won't be as bad as Splash. You'll also feel the "push" down (g-force) in your seat more on EE than BTMRR, but it isn't terrible. I think you'll be freaked out when you try it the first time, but when it's over, you'll realize it wasn't as bad as you thought it would be. I second the idea of watching the youtube POV video of EE, it'll help with your nerves.

I tried RNR last year for the first time and I also was surprised at how it turned out to be not as nauseating as I thought it would. I think you could do that one as well!! I just can't talk myself into Tower of Terror...

I love BTMRR, but have never attempted Splash (no way, not with that drop) or Space Mountain.

Last October we faced our "fears" and tried EE. It was fun, but quite intense (IMO, but I'm a big chicken). I did feel a bit "woozy" when we got off, but I was fine - I just didn't think I could ride it twice in one day.

I'm glad I tried it, and I'll probably ride it again sometime, but I definitely prefer BTMRR any day (DD16 feels the same way, too).

Me too! The ride is so cool, I really love the theming, but it's intense and I don't feel so great right after riding it. I will ride again, but I have even a hint of a headache or upset stomach it's a no-go for that day.

BTMRR and TOT are two favorites for me, Splash is fine, and Space Mountain is ok(but I don't mind skipping it). :earsboy:

Its definitely the dip whilst going backwards part that is the only bit to take note of. A definite holding breathe moment! I prefer rides that are all out terrifying, sets me up better mentally! ;)

I hate roller coasters and tried expedition Everest. The first time I went on it I got very nauseous and lightheaded from the backward part. I tried it again and what I did was as soon as it started going backwards, I took a deep breath and tighten up my stomach muscles, and held until the backward part was over. Now I can ride it over and over again without a problem

EE is my favorite ride at WDW with SM a close second. However, the going backwards part is quite intense and the drop is quite a bit worse than anything BTMRR has to offer. Not as bad as a full-blown coaster, but you do feel it. Going backwards can be quite dizzying too. If you don't really enjoy SM, you may not enjoy these aspects of EE either.

If you can do RNR.......you can EASILY handle ToT

Would have to disagree with you regarding RnR vs. ToT. WHether or not you can handle either depends on what you like and don't like about thrill rides. I don't mind going upside-down which is a lot of the thrill on RnR. However, I hate freefall and ToT is basically a continuous freefall ride - in the dark. I really don't like it at all, yet there is nothing else at WDW that bothers me including RnR, SM, EE, TT, and BTMRR.

I went on ToT once and didn't like it because of the freefall. Yes, there are some freefall drops on RnR and SM, but they are known and predictable as with any coaster. The freefalls on ToT are totally unpredictable as to how far you drop and how many times you drop.

However, I've agreed to go on ToT again because my daughter wants to try it.

word of warning: it made me want to vomit. not the drops, those are cool. it's the backwards mess that made me super sick. beware!

I can do the following and not get the least bit sick (for perspective):

Rock N Roller Coaster, Tower or Terror, BTMRR, Space Mtn,

I have not attempted mission space or star tours because of the motion.

While I do enjoy EE it is by no means a BTMRR which is a very tame coaster by any standard. EE is intense though the drop doesn't feel long because it is on a curve - the only weird part is the backward helix and it did make my stomach feel a little uncomfortable. If not for that part, I would ride it more times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter