Question list for the first Kidani guests, now with answers!

WebmasterCricket

<font color=blue>Administrator<br><font color=red>
I'm not sure if this qualifies as "planning" but ...

I thought it might be easier for those first week members who kindly choose to report back here on the new Kidani resort if we had a list of the basic questions we would like answered ahead of time so they don't have to keep coming back to a report thread and get new questions over the course of a few days.

I will update the first post with any added questions or alter the questions if someone wants different details.

Questions are:

--------Resort--------

Do you have any pictures?

Some of the following have hit their bandwidth maximum.

A cast member preview set of photos can be located here.

Raw photos (with some bonus pool photos) are here.

More photos...
Now Updated with Sanaa food photos!

Tell us about the check-in experience. What is the check-in area like? Do they have a good number of CMs there? Is there a waiting area for kids close to the front desk?

It has been reported that there is a TV in the lobby with chairs around it playing typical cartoons/movies. No specific kids play area was specified.

What food if any is offered at the pool bar?

Maji Pool Bar offers a variety of beverages including specialty drinks, as well as a limited assortment of food items such as Club Sandwich, Tandoori Chicken Caesar Salad, Fresh Fruit Cup, and frozen novelties – menu subject to change

Had a chat with the lady at the bar down by the pool at Maji. There are 2 options for dining down by the pool. There are some round tables with 4 or 5 chair around and there is a 'quick service' style menu. This is items kept in a fridge behind the bar menu here;

CIMG1521.JPG

The second option is private dining at the pool side (delivery charge and 18% applies as if you ordered in the room) this comes complete in a box

CIMG1520.JPG

What are the pool bar's hours?

The closing time of the bar was a little vague at dusk which I think was another question.

Is there any special resort specific merchandise in the store?

There was 1 shirt reported so far...

Please give details on the parking situation both valet and self-park? Where can you enter and exit the under building parking lot?

Self parked under there are plenty of stairs and elevators taking you up it works really well and you can drive to park closer to the pool if need be.

Where is the valet lot?

How does the under building parking access the side of the building near the pool?

See map below

How do the pedestrian walkways interact with the roads? Do you need to cross roads to get to the pool?

See map below

What are Sanaa's hours? Is it open for breakfast or lunch (there's been confusion on that)? Can you post a menu?

Sanaa offers lunch from 11:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. and dinner from 5:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
- The inspiration for the creative menu is the many cultures and cuisines along the historical spice route—Africa, India, China, and Europe
- Central to African-Indian cuisine is the use of the tandoor oven, essentially a large clay pot similar to a pizza oven. The restaurant will serve familiar foods from tandoor ovens, such as tandoori chicken, lamb, and shrimp. In addition the menu includes curry entrees, salad sampler platters, paneer cheese with spinach, and Indian style breads.
- For those who prefer more American flavors, the menu includes items such as grilled pork chop, grilled flank steak, and club sandwich (menu items subject to change).
- Desert items include mango pudding, vanilla-coconut rice pudding, and eggless chocolate cake

Can any Sanaa food be taken "To go"?

Just had lunch in Saana! Didn't expect to but were about the third guests through. So caught up forgot to take pictures from the menu but did get some of the views from the Savanna window seat we had and the desert sampler we had. The food was amazing, from the UK we have lots of curries and Indian type food and this is heavily biased that way but not overly so. My 1 and 3 year old had food off both our plates. Most of the dishes are also available from room service which I'll try and get a good photo of later. The bread and 'dip' selection was fantastic and the vibes from the staff was cool the chef and manager came round every table. The animals got really close and the staff know their names.

Is there a kids menu? Could you post it please? :)

Kids menu.

Just posting links to the rooms service menus which hopefully all can see

Saana kids menu, we tried the cheeseburger and the meaty macaroni with vegetables (green beans) and fruit which was good. Someone had the pizza on the table next to ours and it looked nicer than we have seen before.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Fe-V6UqccOc/SfuV4Hu0KaI/AAAAAAAAAIw/bU5DK8n8zbA/s512/CIMG1536.JPG

Room service Kids all day
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Fe-V6UqccOc/SfuWSZidkWI/AAAAAAAAAI4/2eRPZ9Ri-Oo/s640/CIMG1529.JPG

Room service lunch
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_Fe-V6UqccOc/SfuWTonN7nI/AAAAAAAAAJA/0-_A4IY3QEU/s512/CIMG1530.JPG

Room service dinner
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Fe-V6UqccOc/SfuWUrF0dJI/AAAAAAAAAJI/QVK3ACa6V44/s512/CIMG1531.JPG

dinner cont.
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Fe-V6UqccOc/SfuWV3CfI0I/AAAAAAAAAJQ/6tW-BJs_KuI/s512/CIMG1532.JPG

The lady at Maji said that although the flavours are currently mild they expect that 'on guest feedback' they may well 'spice things up a little' over time.

Please give details on the pool area (features, quiet area)? Please post pool specific pictures along with the kids play area!

Many of the photo threads above give details on the pool area.

Uwanja Camp
- Uwanja Camp is the resort’s specialty themed and wet activity playground.
- In Swahili, the word “uwanja” means “play area.”
- Uwanja Camp is divided into three zones as it moves downhill from the waterfall through the Base Camp, the Departure Zone and the Observation Station, each designed with its own character and age-specific activities.
- The adventure begins in the Departure Zone, designed for kids ages 5-7.
- Next is the Observation Station for kids ages 4 or younger.
- Finally, Base Camp gets kids ages 8 or older in on the act.

Where can you refill mugs?

Johari has a self service station as well as Maji

Is there a bar/lounge inside?

Yes, in Sanaa.

Is there an indoor fire pit like Jambo?

YES~!!! Rustyalaska's photo set shows a fireplace in the Library here, and also in Jeff's video listed in the next post.

There is also an outdoor fire pit.

What are the bus routes? Is the bus service compatible with use for going between Jambo and Kidani -- in other words, do some of the busses stop at Jambo first before going to Kidani and some at Kidani first before going to Jambo?

The bus for the parks will be stopping at Kidani first, than Jambo. So Kidani guests can take the bus to Jambo without walking. Guests at Jambo can hop on a Downtown Disney bus, which then will go to Kidani.

Comments/reviews on the walk between Jambo and Kidani

It was reported that the walkway is clearly marked on the map and it is not as long as was expected (10 minutes but time is based on location)

Please provide any details you can about the community hall including any snap shots ;)

There are photos of the hall as well as the "library" at Allears.net

Community Hall

- Kidani Village features a Community Hall where Members and Guests can enjoy a pool table, Foosball, PlayStation2 games, watching TV, and participating in planned activities.

- Basketball, tennis, and shuffleboard equipment are available.

- Across from Community Hall is Safari So Good Arcade, as well as laundry facilities.

Survival of the Fittest

- Survival of the Fittest features treadmills, bicycles, stair climbers and limited free weights.

Recreation/Activities

- A barbeque pavilion with two charcoal barbeque grills and two picnic tables under cover is located near the sports courts area of Kidani Village

- A basketball half-court and a shuffleboard court are located in the sports courts area

- Tennis courts – two lighted hard courts are located near the sports courts area

- Recreation equipment is available at Community Hall

What portions of the building are still not finished; are all common amenities -- pool, new recreation area near pool, restaurant, store, main viewing area for animals, (others), open?

All the specific listed areas are open. Nothing posted yet about exactly which rooms are not available.

How long is the walk from the end of one of the wings to the lobby (estimated distance but better, time it takes, normal walking pace)?

See next question's response

Where are the elevators, particularly do they have ones located along the wings and how far down from lobby?

The layout from the parking garage is around 4 elevators, Timon, Zazu, Rafiki and Pumba, oddly the lift to the lobby doesn't have a name and pops up outside by the front door. Timon and Zazu are both in the wing which is open.

Our room is between the 2 lifts and DD4 and I walked over, down the Zazu elevator and over to Jambo gift shop as the shop here didn't have AAA batteries. We were there did some shopping and back in under 20 mins I was surprised it wasn't actually all that far. No major roads to cross and a fair amount of foot traffic, I would have thought it might be quicker than getting the bus.

Do they have access to the street area along the wings and not just from the lobby, if so where (e.g., how far down the two wings)?

See above question's answer

Where is the public laundry room located? Is there the right detergent for it? Is there more than one location? How many machines are there of each type? Are they "HE"?

It appears there is only one community laundry. I don't have confirmed details on the rest yet but it does not appear that the community laundry is HE.

How are the views? What animals can be seen on the new savannah? Where are the shared viewing areas? Pictures of the views with the location of the view labeled would be outstanding!

The next post has standard view shown

Pics of views are in the photo threads posted above as well.

Where the DSAs are and how many?

See map below

Can you post a copy of the resort map, and the activity sheet for Kidani so we can get a feel for what is offered through Community Hall, etc.?

Allears.net has info about the "library" and examples of it's events.

See map below

--------Room--------

What model TV's are they and what jacks are easily available?

LG_________

...the TV has a connection break out box with HDMI, VGA and composite inputs, the bed side alarm clock has an ipod dock and an illuminated light, bigger living area...

Where are the Internet jacks exactly?

In 1 bedroom it is by the desk in bedroom

Is there an outlet on the sink side of the island in the 1/2 bedroom kitchen?

Yes, on the wall and in at least 2 places in the backsplash.

What thermostat model is being used? (photo please if possible)

Can someone ID this and it's specific override sequence?

kidanivillage033.jpg

Is there a wooden restaurant style highchair?

Yes.

What type of child cabinet locks would be appropriate?

If you are staying in a 1BR or larger are the new washer/dryers the conventional type or the newer HE (High Efficiency) type that require special detergent? If HE, do they provide HE detergent?

Our in-room washer was a conventional type (non-HE).

The public laundry room has two conventional washers and one large front-loading HE (which was out of service).

Does the vacuum have a detachable hose for attachments (for possible SpaceBag use, etc)?

No, it is the same as Jambo

What shape/size ice does the icemaker make?
Any scale up-close photos of the room safe inside and out?

...The safe is huge would easily take my laptop which is quite big...

2 pics of the room safe with a documents folder in for scale

CIMG1484.JPG

CIMG1485.JPG

Great idea!

What are Sanaa's hours? Is it open for breakfast or lunch (there's been confusion on that)? Can you post a menu?

What are details on the pool (features, quiet area)? Please post pictures!

How about these:

If you are staying in a 1BR or larger are the new washer/dryers the conventional type or the newer HE (High Efficiency) type that require special detergent?

If HE, do they provide HE detergent?

Does the vacuum have a detachable hose for attachments (for possible SpaceBag use, etc)?

Wanna merge my thread I started yesterday?

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2073191

- - Edited by WebmasterCricket to include linked post - -

In case some here didn't know, the opening weekend for the new DVC resort at the Animal Kingdom Lodge is set for Friday May 1. It looks to be a beautiful resort and opening weekend should be filled with nervous anticipation for both the guests and especially the cast members.

I'd like to make a list of Disers who are scheduled to be there for opening weekend, so if you're going, drop a post and I'll start a list.

I am hoping this thread will be useful for those that will be staying there opening weekend. It sure feels like we are heading into the great unknown, which we sort of are since it's all new. I'll be trying to find out what kind of resort activities will be available and the times.

One of the important dates just around the corner is Feb 16, which is the first day DVC members can make ADR's for the new table service restaurant named Sanaa.

As far as I've read, the new pool is supposed to be open on May 1.

One thing I'd like to know is what time can we check in on Friday morning? We arrive on Thursday night so the earlier we can check in on Friday the better for us.

Any useful information posted I'll bring up into this first post. (hope this is OK with the mods?) Any questions you should also post here and we'll try to find the answer. Again though, this is just for opening weekend at Kidani.

Disers there for the opening weekend:
Lugnut33
Disney 1474
Mickeyworld
Nykidatheart
Jmb910
Pickles

Great idea! Can you add...

Since there isn't a counter service rest. planned, where can you refill mugs? In the store? At the pool?
Is there a bar/lounge inside?
Is there an indoor firepit like Jambo? (We loved that!)
What was the bus route?
Thanks!

Great idea. We won't be there til August - but I like this thread and want to know all the details.

I'll be there for the opening week and will try to answer all questions that I can. I hope I don't forget:)

Also, don't forget to report back your room number & room details so LisaS can update room database.

I forgot to add - would love pictures, pictures of everything (especially the new pool which was already mentioned).

Not sure if it has been mentioned - will the Kidani building have a Community Hall room?

I forgot to add - would love pictures, pictures of everything (especially the new pool which was already mentioned).

Not sure if it has been mentioned - will the Kidani building have a Community Hall room?

It will have a community hall. I remember seeing it on the blueprints. I'll add a question about details of it though :)

Here is some more to add:

1. For those in May, what portions of the building are still not finished; are all common amenities -- pool, new recreation area near pool, restaurant, store, main viewing area for animals, (others), open?

2. How long is the walk from the end of one of the wings to the lobby (estimated distance but better time it takes normal walking pace)?

3. Where are elevators, particularly do they have ones located along the wings and how far down from lobby?

4. Do they have access to street area along the wings and not just from the lobby and if so where (e.g., how far down the two wings)?

5. Is the bus service compatible with use for going between Jambo and Kidani -- in other words, do some of the busses stop at Jambo first before going to Kidani and some at Kidani first before going to Jambo?

We're checking in on May 1st, so I will try to get some things posted. We are in a studio, so I won't be able to give much info on the bedrooms, but I will see about answering the other stuff.

Jennifer

You can PM me questions too if you don't want to post them.

I'm up to date...

We're going in August too, so I'd love to see some of the answers and photos!

And to add to the questions: How are the views? What animals can be seen on the new savannah?

Where are the shared viewing areas?

I am really interested in the underground parking stuctures and where they go in and out, Photos would be GREAT!!

Pictures of your View and Room Number :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter