~ Rachel Made it to DISNEY! Christmas at AKL ~ Oh. My. Gosh! ~ 1/22

maroo

DIS Veteran
Christmas in DISNEY!!

First let me introduce my friends and trip mates!

The Cast:

Joyce and Rachel
joyceandrachellikethisone-1.jpg

Joyce and Rachel are my good friends from church. We also enjoy being addicted to a few TV shows (One Tree Hill anyone?), so we get to hang out watching TV, too!

Rachel has a rare genetic disorder called mucopolysaccharidosis (MPS). There is a conference for families who are dealing with MPS in Orlando in December. Which is why we are going to Disney! In addition to MPS, Rachel also has a spinal cord injury from a surgery she had just 3 days before Katrina wiped out our coast. :hug:

Rachel and Joyce have been to Disney before, but this is the first trip for Rachel since she has been using a power chair.

When we were planning Lauren's wish trip, Joyce was quoted to have asked why in the world I LIKE Disney? In fact, I really thought she was a Disney Hater... But...as we have started to plan this trip, I have discovered that Joyce actually LOVES Disney. She gets sorta giddy when we talk about it, actually. :goodvibes

Of course, Joyce and Rachel can't go to Disney without this precious girl...

elliepic.jpg

Meet Ellie!

Ellie is the 4-yr-old grandaughter to Joyce, neice to Rachel.

Of course, Ellie has very sweet parents, too...so we guess they can come along! ;)

rachelginaandellie.jpg

This is Gina with Rachel and Ellie. Gina is Ellie's Mommy!

rachelandjustin.jpg

And this is Justin. Justin is the Daddy to Ellie and brother to Rachel!

So...are you confused yet? No? Ok...well let's add the rest of the cast!

Rosemarypic-1.jpg

Meet Rosemary! Rosemary is one of Rachel's best friends!

And then there is me...

ce61056a-1.jpg

Maroo! And I won't go through my details again. All you really need to know about me is...I am a DISNEY addict! A total Disney FREAK! ::yes::

We stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge - Savannah View! But more about that later!

Overall we had a GREAT trip! We did have a few tense moments - but mostly this was a trip FULL OF MANY, MANY BLESSINGS! And I just can't wait to share them all with you guys!

Table of Contents
:

The Drive :)
A Sweet Suite....and you wanna do what?!?
It's a FIGHT!
GAC and Le Cellier
Candlelight Processional
A DIS Meet!
Oh. My. Gosh.

Looking forward to reading more.

I too love One Tree Hill... It's one of my guilty pleasures. Well it used to be, not happy with this season. Just not the same without Lucas and Peyton.

Enjoying your great pictures as well. :)

I am so glad this trip got to happen after those rocky times with Rachel's health! I can't wait to read all about it! Sorry I have been MIA - I missed you guys!

Looking forward to reading more.

I too love One Tree Hill... It's one of my guilty pleasures. Well it used to be, not happy with this season. Just not the same without Lucas and Peyton.

Enjoying your great pictures as well. :)

I totally agree with you! In fact...I used to watch OTH with Rachel each Monday and we are switching to Thursday's so that we can watch Grey's!

Thanks for the picture compliment!

lol

I see how it is. ;)

I am so glad this trip got to happen after those rocky times with Rachel's health! I can't wait to read all about it! Sorry I have been MIA - I missed you guys!

Me too!! I am so glad it happened!

We have missed you, too! Hope all is well for you guys! :hug:

I'm ready and waiting!popcorn::

:) It is coming! I promise!

Joining in!

Awesome! Thanks so much for posting!

I love your user name!

I am leaving for Disney AGAIN today...(a day early due to weather :eek:)...

As soon as I get back, this thing is going to start!

I did some writing as I was traveling home last time and am ready to start this - just need to add a few pics - so it will be forthcoming! I promise!!

have a great trip

I had a wonderful time!!

Woohoo! Have a great time, Maroo! We'll be waiting :)

I had a great time!

popcorn:: popcorn:: popcorn:: popcorn::

Just passing out a little popcorn for you hungry folks!

I got back and we have issues here in Jackson - no water. Amazing how much depends on clean water around here...did I mention I need to do laundry! :rotfl2:

I will do my very best to post an update here soon!

First of all, I want to thank you all for praying for Rachel. You prayers back in July and August when she was so critically ill were very much appreciated. When she was sick again right before we left, you guys prayed again…and I am so happy to report that this trip exceeded all of my expectations. The weather, her health, Disney’s accommodations…I just can’t even express in just these few words what your support in planning meant and how much it helped us on this trip.

This would have been a completely different trip without the DIS – I shudder to think about it.

But, like all trips, it had some moments. Yes, “Grumpy Butt” will make an appearance – maybe more than once – and it wasn’t always me. :goodvibes

So without further delay....

The TRIP REPORT BEGINS!!!!!!!

Now, normally I would not spend much time writing about my drive to Disney….but ours was eventful, so I will start there.

And to understand the “events” – you need some background information.
The night before we left, I reserved us a room at the Comfort Suites in Lake City, FL. I had previously called three other hotels in the area and none had a room with 2 beds and a handicapped restroom, which we definitely needed. But Comfort Suites is a new hotel and they had a “suite” room with 2 queen beds, a sofa, plenty of room AND a handicapped shower.

DISCLAIMER!! .... I should mention that I don’t have as many pictures as a normal “Maroo” trip report. I am sure you will notice this lack of pictures…but I was stressed on this trip. Stressed about each little detail and constantly thinking through contingency plans and walking this fine line between trying to help Rachel’s Mom (Joyce) and just staying out of her way.

Rachel and Joyce have an interesting relationship that comes into play on our trip. Lauren, the star of my very first trip report Click Here, also uses a wheelchair full time (but requires more assistance than Rachel). Lauren comes from a family with 2 parents and she has had LOTS of caregivers over the years. She has always been disabled and tends to go with the flow when others help her. She doesn’t really care HOW you do something, as long as it gets done. However, being 16 has really made Lauren a stickler for having her makeup done just right and her hair – even in Disney. Especially in Disney - since it was her wish trip!

Contrast this with Rachel and her family. Her family is just Rachel and her Mom (Joyce). And the injury that causes her to use a wheelchair full time was recent. Joyce is her primary caregiver and they have a system. They are extremely efficient. :laundy: They don’t worry so much about makeup and hair, but they are particular about things being done in a certain order – because this is how they have always done it and they believe it is the most efficient way.

So, it is a little difficult for someone like me to come in from the “outside” and just pitch in and help. I do things a little different. In a different order. Of course, I think I am pretty efficient. :upsidedow :flower3: But Joyce can get on a roll and really wants to do it herself sometimes instead of having anyone mess with her system. So to really help, I need to anticipate her movements and try not to get in the way. Sorta help in the background until I can figure out their system.

But, I have been around them for several months now and basically have the order figured out, so I help when I can and can usually tell when Joyce is in a groove and just wants to do it herself. :thumbsup2

Now, where were we…Oh yeah. The drive.

So, we left Jackson on time. In fact, our original plans had us leaving at 3:30 and we left at 1:50 PM CST. We were all beyond excited to be OFF! We are going to Disney!

But the rain was heavy. Joyce gets very nervous in the rain and wanted to do all of the driving when it was raining. She doesn’t trust anyone else to drive in the rain. On most trips with other families, I do most of the driving. It gives them a break and keeps me from getting sick in the back seat :sick:. I also drive pretty fast and have a knack for avoiding speed traps - usually ;). I also had the directions and could not see from the backseat well (this is a converted van for her wheelchair and the seats are really tall and you have to bend over to see the road signs).

Oh well, I better grab a Sprite at the next stop so that I can avoid car sickness, since the weather forecast calls for rain and thunderstorms for most of our trip down. :eek:

Rachel and I played “Words for Friends” on our iPhones (basically Scrabble). I love my iPhone. It kept my mind off the sickies and kept me entertained for hours!

Rosemary has a blackberry. The rest of us have iPhones. Between the Maps, Games, Music and other applications – we were on them during the whole drive. And it was the center of some conversations, since Rachel and I were playing games against each other. At one point Rosemary said, “You guys are OBSESSED with iPhones!!”

Oh, she has no idea how bad the obsession is. We all cracked up laughing. I was playing a game with occasional advertisements and kept getting this ad for weight loss products. I was trying to figure out how my iPhone knew I needed those! :rotfl: And at one point I actually asked Rachel if SHE was also getting the weight loss ads…Nope. :sad2: What is up with that! We had a good laugh on that one, too. :rotfl2:

Around Mobile, AL there was a break in the rain. We took a “quick” break to fill up the gas tank, take a restroom break, help Rachel with her bathroom stuff, grab food to go from the drive thru, and a mandatory Starbucks stop. ::yes:: Joyce loves her Starbucks! :goodvibes Then we were off again. Since it was not raining, I asked if I could drive some. Yes, of course! Woo Hoo!

I drove. :drive: I was efficient. ;) Avoiding all tickets. But I had checked the radar and I knew the storms were coming. They were just a few miles north of I-10 and you could see the brilliant lightening in the distance. My iPhone – which I am TOTALLY addicted to, by the way – was my friend on this drive. I had my map on there and my radar, so I was ready for whatever I needed. And yes, I use those things as I drive. Flame away. I have never had a wreck (or even come close) and am probably more careful when I drive when I am glancing at my radar. I do most of this without looking at my phone at all.

THIS is what the radar looked like as I drove. This is our first…let’s call them “blessing” moments. This rain…which looked so threatening…never made it to I-10. It stayed north of I-10 our entire drive to Lake City. What a blessing!

photo-34.jpg

Because we made such great time (ahem) :moped::moped:, I actually drove us all the way into Lake City. We did make one additional stop for gas. We arrived at 10:30 PM (9:30 CST). Wow. For those of you guys that don’t feel like doing any math – it took us 8 hours and 40 minutes to make it to Lake City. I had guessed it would take us 8 hours of driving time and with the rain and stops – we made good time!

Up Next: The Suite Life...You wanna do what??

I'm glad the iphones kept you distracted from being sick. I've never been one to get carsick, so I have trouble predicting what will do it for Tessa. She gets sick very easily, on short drives, long ones, straight roads, curvy ones, while watching dvds or just chilling. I don't get it. :confused3 I don't know where Lake City is so I'm in suspense to see how far you have to go on day 2.

I'm here and I'm looking forward to reading all about this trip! :goodvibes

I just saw on Liesa's PTR that you started this! Then I get here and you started your TR over 2 weeks ago! :badpc:

WHEW! Now that I got that off my chest... I can't wait to hear all about it! popcorn::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter