Reservation walking

luckyman_apd

DIS Veteran
Been a DVC member for almost 12 years now. When we purchased DVC we had an Idea that maybe we'd used it someday and go to Hawaii. We decided that 2024 would be the year we go (oldest child graduates HS this year). Between covid shutdowns and park reservations, our family trips have changed. But man I was TOTALLY unprepared for the amount of walking reservations going for June at Aulani! Like, 7 months walking is a complete crapshoot but it's going on anyway. I went on at 8am Friday to book June 24th, and absolutely nothing. I had been watching a few days earlier to kinda see what was open and what could work with 3 years worth of our points. I was totally unprepared and did not get the 24th. Somehow got VERY lucky to snag studio yesterday morning for the 25th (Standard view at that!) and then plan to get the rest of the trip in a 1 bedroom till we were out of points. Was even prepared to buy some 1 time use points if needed to get as many days as we could. I stalked that site all day yesterday watching rooms on the 24th open back up but the 25th gone. Same thing this morning. I was able to get a 1br for 7 nights starting on June 26th, but noticed right after completing my reservation, that June 25th had availability again in the same room, but 26th is sold out. 100% has to been people walking it right? Adding a day at the end the next morning and then dropping the first day?

After 12 years, I never imagined we'd have such a tight window to be able to get this trip in, but careers change, vacation ability changes. Would love to go a less busy time. I read June was a popular time but wow was that stressful to get. Planning to use 3 years worth of points at once only to have to scramble to get the resy....phewwww. lol

Been a DVC member for almost 12 years now. When we purchased DVC we had an Idea that maybe we'd used it someday and go to Hawaii. We decided that 2024 would be the year we go (oldest child graduates HS this year). Between covid shutdowns and park reservations, our family trips have changed. But man I was TOTALLY unprepared for the amount of walking reservations going for June at Aulani! Like, 7 months walking is a complete crapshoot but it's going on anyway. I went on at 8am Friday to book June 24th, and absolutely nothing. I had been watching a few days earlier to kinda see what was open and what could work with 3 years worth of our points. I was totally unprepared and did not get the 24th. Somehow got VERY lucky to snag studio yesterday morning for the 25th (Standard view at that!) and then plan to get the rest of the trip in a 1 bedroom till we were out of points. Was even prepared to buy some 1 time use points if needed to get as many days as we could. I stalked that site all day yesterday watching rooms on the 24th open back up but the 25th gone. Same thing this morning. I was able to get a 1br for 7 nights starting on June 26th, but noticed right after completing my reservation, that June 25th had availability again in the same room, but 26th is sold out. 100% has to been people walking it right? Adding a day at the end the next morning and then dropping the first day?

After 12 years, I never imagined we'd have such a tight window to be able to get this trip in, but careers change, vacation ability changes. Would love to go a less busy time. I read June was a popular time but wow was that stressful to get. Planning to use 3 years worth of points at once only to have to scramble to get the resy....phewwww. lol

This is where I find myself trying to book at 11 months at BWV, my home resort and where I have most of my points.
Last few years I've been locked out and have had to wait until walkers dropped what they didn't want, although garden view is a bit easier.

I used to be able to book January when I couldn't book Oct, Nov, Dec in one shot. Now January is a mess since they lowered the standard view points to 9 on weekdays.

I find myself using my points at AKL, Grand Floridian and Riviera because those resorts will come available at 7 months for me. They are all lovely places to stay but cost more points per night than my home resort.

The two highest DVC demand times of the year at Aulani are Dec 23 to Jan 2 and about June 6 through July 5. Durning that June to July time, even ocean view (which is 45% of all rooms and otherwise often open) can disappear before 7-months out. Walking is mainly something that is done during the 11-month window because it has significant uncertainty of success with the 7-month window, since any owner of Aul can cut off anyone attempting to do a 7-month walk.

Openings you are seeing pop up are probably not mostly walkers but instead openings being created by those, including Aul members, modifying Aul reservations they already had to something else at 7-months out.

What room size/view are you trying to book? I would expect studios to disappear, even at 7 months. I've been trying off and on over the last few years to boo a studio at BLT, but none are ever available. I have been able to get a Poly studio and a Savannah View one bedroom at Kidani. Fortunatle, I love my home resort of OKW, and rarely have booking issues for anything other than a Hani-accessible GV at 11 months, so I alwyas book there, and then try to change at 7 months, if I want to.

Hawaii is on "someday" list, but I woudl need something larger than a studio, as I'm sure other folks would want to go with me.

What room size/view are you trying to book? I would expect studios to disappear, even at 7 months. I've been trying off and on over the last few years to boo a studio at BLT, but none are ever available. I have been able to get a Poly studio and a Savannah View one bedroom at Kidani. Fortunatle, I love my home resort of OKW, and rarely have booking issues for anything other than a Hani-accessible GV at 11 months, so I alwyas book there, and then try to change at 7 months, if I want to.

Hawaii is on "someday" list, but I woudl need something larger than a studio, as I'm sure other folks would want to go with me.
We wanted a 1 br. We have 125 pt contract so I had max 375 to play with to get as many nights as I could. It worked out for us.....we are going 1 day later than planned. First night I got a studio (standard view and was shocked it was even open for me as it was only 1 of 2 days in June showing availability, but had to get at 8am yesterday) and the next 7 in a island view 1-br). If I wasn't able to get the 1st night studio, it would have been a 7 night trip instead of 8. Was hoping for 9 but I knew as a non owner I'd get what I get and not be upset lol. I'm glad it worked out, hindsight 20/20 I'm glad I got anything at all. Unfortunately my wife's Job requires her there for about 5 weeks straight after 4th of July week, and if we waited till August, we'd be pushing up against prepping the kid for college and a few other events she has going on.

The two highest DVC demand times of the year at Aulani are Dec 23 to Jan 2 and about June 6 through July 5. Durning that June to July time, even ocean view (which is 45% of all rooms and otherwise often open) can disappear before 7-months out. Walking is mainly something that is done during the 11-month window because it has significant uncertainty of success with the 7-month window, since any owner of Aul can cut off anyone attempting to do a 7-month walk.

Openings you are seeing pop up are probably not mostly walkers but instead openings being created by those, including Aul members, modifying Aul reservations they already had to something else at 7-months out.
I'm well aware of the risks in walking at 7-months which is why I'm surprised at what I'm seeing. But know what I saw change each day and then become available....today you can book 7 days right up to July 3rd....and in every category except standard view....every day is available in all 1br...except today. and now their are 1 or 2 days available prior to today popping back up. No doubt there are a few walking for the 4th of July. If I had more points..I'd love to stay and check out July 5th instead of 3rd....but it is what it is. I can see if someone book Aulani because they have vacation time and then said "Hey, lets switch to Disneyland or world....It's not like me owning at BLT and booking there but then at 7 months saying Hey, let me try for BCV or Poly or something. Holding a reservation at Aulani doesn't help you get a WDW or WDL trip in.

I'm well aware of walking, and have done it myself in the past for a BLT standard view studio in early December when points usage used to be really low....so it really could stretch our points and give my wife what she wanted, Disney decorated for Christmas. It was a huge PIA, I hated every second of going on everyday or 2 to shift the reservation. I think we did that twice before I said never again lol. I also felt "dirty" and "sneaky" walking a reservation.

When Poly was built and those Pizza Huts on the swamp were built with astronomical points usage.....it changed the entire system. Prior to that we were able to book studios on a whim (except the real busy times back then) at places like OKW or SSR.....and even other resorts. But once those points flooded the system (because we all know very few people bought poly to stay in those), it put sooo much demand on studio's everywhere else at 7 months.

Last edited:
This is where I find myself trying to book at 11 months at BWV, my home resort and where I have most of my points.
Last few years I've been locked out and have had to wait until walkers dropped what they didn't want, although garden view is a bit easier.

I used to be able to book January when I couldn't book Oct, Nov, Dec in one shot. Now January is a mess since they lowered the standard view points to 9 on weekdays.

I find myself using my points at AKL, Grand Floridian and Riviera because those resorts will come available at 7 months for me. They are all lovely places to stay but cost more points per night than my home resort.
Keep in mind that January 2024 was unusual in that all standard view villas and an unknown number of P/G view villas were blocked from being booked due to the refurb. So BWV availability was much less than normal (although I didn’t have any trouble booking a BW view 1BR for late January at 11 months). Hopefully availability for January 2025 will be back to normal.

Just a data point from our 2018 end of June/beginning of July trip. I was a little late getting going and started trying to book 8 nights in a 1 BR Ocean View a week or so after the 7 month mark. I got one or two nights and waitlisted everything else in various chunks. Bottom line - I got all 8 nights in a row in a 1 BR Ocean View, with the last night being July 4th, within a couple of months or so. So I would suggest using the waitlist and not giving up on getting all the nights you want in the same room. We went with our then 17 and 11 year olds and had a wonderful time! Loved Aulani and all the activities we did (the typical Pearl Harbor, climbing Diamond Head, surfing lessons etc )! Good luck and hope you have a fantastic vacation!

I would waitlist your 1st 2 days, if you want them, for the 1 bdrm island view and purchase 1 time points and then have the reservations merged.
We were in the same room last year,,ask for EWA tower highest floor and hope you get one overlooking the Luau, then you have partial Ocean view as well. Good Luck

I would waitlist your 1st 2 days, if you want them, for the 1 bdrm island view and purchase 1 time points and then have the reservations merged.
We were in the same room last year,,ask for EWA tower highest floor and hope you get one overlooking the Luau, then you have partial Ocean view as well. Good Luck
So the only way that can work... Is if I can get another night in a standard studio to start the trip. We definitely WILL NOT end a trip downsizing a room at the end. Our 1st night is a standard view studio and then 7 nights in an island view 1br. The 1 br took 350 points. The studio was 24. I only have 375 points to play with. So I have 1 point and could buy 24 1 time points but that leaves me 1 point shy of all nights in a 1br.

Appreciate the heads up. I may stalk the site and see what opens up... Wouldn't mind pushing back the trip 2 days to say for july 4th and leave the 5th.

Keep in mind that January 2024 was unusual in that all standard view villas and an unknown number of P/G view villas were blocked from being booked due to the refurb. So BWV availability was much less than normal (although I didn’t have any trouble booking a BW view 1BR for late January at 11 months). Hopefully availability for January 2025 will be back to normal.

Carolyn, thanks for reminding me!

I did just go to my account to see what was happening for January of 25. I was able to do a 1 bedroom standard that I will start walking, but not a standard studio. I'll keep looking to see if I can jump in somewhere along the way once the early December walkers get finished.

Last year for my trip to BWV starting this Friday I did get BW view in a studio, eventually, as people dropped nights.
Just wondering if I'll end up sleeping in a BW view room, lol.

Carolyn, thanks for reminding me!

I did just go to my account to see what was happening for January of 25. I was able to do a 1 bedroom standard that I will start walking, but not a standard studio. I'll keep looking to see if I can jump in somewhere along the way once the early December walkers get finished.

Last year for my trip to BWV starting this Friday I did get BW view in a studio, eventually, as people dropped nights.
Just wondering if I'll end up sleeping in a BW view room, lol.
Good luck - I'm watching availability as well because I'm wanting an equally difficult BWV reservation, a 2BR BW view or GV for Marathon Weekend.

:tink: :tink: :tink:for you!

Walkers are annoying! I wanted a 2 bedroom SV at BWV (for the end of October) and had to wait for the walkers to pass on by. I suppose they are walking for Jersey week, the race weekend, Thanksgiving or early December.

I did get what I wanted, so all's well that ends well, I guess. But I still think they are annoying!!!

Good luck to those of you who have to "walk behind" .

I would expect studios to disappear, even at 7 months. I've been trying off and on over the last few years to boo a studio at BLT, but none are ever available.
What time of the year are you trying to get BLT? We find BLT Lake View to be one of the easiest studios at 7 months.

Walkers are annoying! I wanted a 2 bedroom SV at BWV (for the end of October) and had to wait for the walkers to pass on by. I suppose they are walking for Jersey week, the race weekend, Thanksgiving or early December.

I did get what I wanted, so all's well that ends well, I guess. But I still think they are annoying!!!

Walking begets more walking is what I say. If people didn't they'd probably find it's unnecessary but they read about it and decide it's a must. Still, I have no desire for any change as their fix would not be good IMO and I will continue to pick up the dropped nights if/when I happen to run across it.

I was able to pick up 6 single nights as walkers dropped days from 5/26 to 5/31 for a 2br ocean. So annoying thinking about not getting the next day. I wait listed the next 2 nights and got them filled last week for 6/1 and 6/2. Called MS to combine the stay.

Stressful since 8/9 in my party had booked flights already. Really thinking of selling one of my contracts and getting Aulani as SAP and not deal with this in the future.

I'm following the walkers for that same room for race weekend. I'm still waiting for the last few nights to get dropped before I can not worry about not having a full reservation.

I know walking is allowed and all that, but it's still annoying when it's happening when you're trying to book a room.

Was able to get a reservation for the first week of July at Aulani. Wanted a 2 bedroom OV and I am really pleased because I was able to get it. Ir will be the end of out Hawain trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter