Reservation walking

Is there a way to see how much inventory there is? Owners are walking a room category for early November (can’t book for a start date of Nov 5th). I don’t want this room category and the room category I eventually want for end of November is available to be booked for Nov 5th). How would I know if I need to walk this room category for end of November and if so, when to start?

I know we can’t discuss availability so I attempted to keep details vague. Hope that’s ok.

Is there a way to see how much inventory there is? Owners are walking a room category for early November (can’t book for a start date of Nov 5th). I don’t want this room category and the room category I eventually want for end of November is available to be booked for Nov 5th). How would I know if I need to walk this room category for end of November and if so, when to start?

I know we can’t discuss availability so I attempted to keep details vague. Hope that’s ok.

There is some way to do it...you have to do something with the code and it will show. There is also a paid site that I belive gives you that info...https://unlockedmagic.com/

One thing you can always do is call MS to find out. I did try to do it on my own and just could never get it to work. Keep an eye on the rooms and if you are seeing that the room you want is not going right at 8 am, the chances are pretty good you don't need to walk.

Most people walking for end of November into the holiday season have already started...

This is where I find myself trying to book at 11 months at BWV, my home resort and where I have most of my points.
Last few years I've been locked out and have had to wait until walkers dropped what they didn't want, although garden view is a bit easier.

I used to be able to book January when I couldn't book Oct, Nov, Dec in one shot. Now January is a mess since they lowered the standard view points to 9 on weekdays.

I find myself using my points at AKL, Grand Floridian and Riviera because those resorts will come available at 7 months for me. They are all lovely places to stay but cost more points per night than my home resort.
I just had the same issue with people walking at BwV. i was open with my dates and every morning at the time booking starts I was on the site all set up. Never got the first day of the trip so I couldn’t book anything even though the next days all wide open. I even called member services and obviously there was nothing they could do not their fault. Every morning so finally I just booked a garden view. I waitlisted the same dates and forgot I had done that. Several days later I get an email my waitlist was filled! The walkers walked right past. It’s so frustrating I mean what do these people do sit there with like 4 computers at booking time trying to get in there first? I know it’s technically allowed but they should try and find a way to stop this. Truth be told I think I want a garden view instead of the standard view but now that I have it and all thone extra points I have I can’t give the standard view up LOL

We bought a small add-on for CCR this summer so we could do studios and see the Christmas decorations at Thanksgiving. I am learning quickly that November booking at CCR is worse than VGF where we have the majority of our points. I never had to walk there for this time of the year before.I guess walking is going to become a part of my life.

I also felt "dirty" and "sneaky" walking a reservation.
Awe, don't feel that way! In actuality, our points are equal in and of themselves. I got what I wanted easily for many years. It's just a little more complicated now.
I just had the same issue with people walking at BwV. i was open with my dates and every morning at the time booking starts I was on the site all set up. Never got the first day of the trip so I couldn’t book anything even though the next days all wide open. I even called member services and obviously there was nothing they could do not their fault. Every morning so finally I just booked a garden view. I waitlisted the same dates and forgot I had done that. Several days later I get an email my waitlist was filled! The walkers walked right past. It’s so frustrating I mean what do these people do sit there with like 4 computers at booking time trying to get in there first? I know it’s technically allowed but they should try and find a way to stop this. Truth be told I think I want a garden view instead of the standard view but now that I have it and all thone extra points I have I can’t give the standard view up LOL
I almost always want a standard view because of location closer to the bus stop and parking. There are plenty of garden views that are just as close if I get that request. Problem is not getting the request.
We bought a small add-on for CCR this summer so we could do studios and see the Christmas decorations at Thanksgiving. I am learning quickly that November booking at CCR is worse than VGF where we have the majority of our points. I never had to walk there for this time of the year before.I guess walking is going to become a part of my life.
Back in the 'old days' when I purchased it was dead around here. (I'm sitting in my BW view room right now.) I remember coming with a friend and being in Epcot with almost nobody but cast members and watching the old Tapestry of Nations parade. I think it's great that things have livened up a lot, and I guess I can't have it both ways, lol.

It was crowded in each park I went to and that translates to the DVC rooms being popular. But still, the magic was there if I let it happen. If I'd been lucky enough to get my less expensive standard view room this trip, I would probably not have been awoken this past weekend after midnight to see Luminous testing for it's debut last night. I think I saw more fireworks during the test than I did last night!

Anyway, I'll now be joining in, trying to beat the walkers but I'll also be booking what's there as I go along.

Happy Holidays to all!

I don't think what you are seeing is walkers, walkers don't need to be in the 8 am battle royale. Walking only works if you modify the day before your current check out day.

As expected CCV studios have been being walked for the last week to get to December 2024. Waiting for the walkers to go past to hopefully book early next November

As expected CCV studios have been being walked for the last week to get to December 2024. Waiting for the walkers to go past to hopefully book early next November
That me but I am not walking to December just Thanksgiving so it should open up for you soon. I will say when I started walking on Sunday the walk in shower studio was not an option but opened up Tuesday morning when I checked at 8am. I guess someone already grabbed the tub studio I released yesterday.

I'm not sure how to prove this, but it's been pointed out on the ROFR thread lately that there are corporate entities buying huge chunks of points, stripping them (as rentals) and then selling them very stripped. My guess is that a lot of the "walking" behavior is these large contracts specifically trying to book in rooms with the highest profit per point that they will then list for rentals. When people are traveling for personal use you're going to get huge demand over the holidays (so more walking) but when a lot of people are trying to rent for profit it's going to add a whole additional batch of "walkers" for the resorts where the rooms have the best value.

I'm not sure how to prove this, but it's been pointed out on the ROFR thread lately that there are corporate entities buying huge chunks of points, stripping them (as rentals) and then selling them very stripped. My guess is that a lot of the "walking" behavior is these large contracts specifically trying to book in rooms with the highest profit per point that they will then list for rentals. When people are traveling for personal use you're going to get huge demand over the holidays (so more walking) but when a lot of people are trying to rent for profit it's going to add a whole additional batch of "walkers" for the resorts where the rooms have the best value.
There will be a few walks broken this morning since the DVC site is currently down and people can't modify their walk before 8am.

Isn’t the whole point of walking that you try to stay a whole day (or more) ahead?

(Edited from is to isnt)
Just from past posts I have seen when the site has gone down before there have been people complaining/whining that they "lost" their walk because they were unable to modify in time. When I do walk I do it for 7 days in advance and modify it at least every 3 days. Some people are procrastinators and wait until the last minute.

Isn’t the whole point of walking that you try to stay a whole day (or more) ahead?

(Edited from is to isnt)
I have been trying for two or three weeks to walk BWV standard studio for mid November. I have never once even been able to get the first night, even at the very opening seconds of booking to start walking. So, I guess I will just have to pick it up day by day after the fact. Up until the last couple years, I have never had issues getting what I want at 11 months exactly, but not anymore.
I need 3 studios at the end of January 2025, that should be great fun.

Been a DVC member for almost 12 years now. When we purchased DVC we had an Idea that maybe we'd used it someday and go to Hawaii. We decided that 2024 would be the year we go (oldest child graduates HS this year). Between covid shutdowns and park reservations, our family trips have changed. But man I was TOTALLY unprepared for the amount of walking reservations going for June at Aulani! Like, 7 months walking is a complete crapshoot but it's going on anyway. I went on at 8am Friday to book June 24th, and absolutely nothing. I had been watching a few days earlier to kinda see what was open and what could work with 3 years worth of our points. I was totally unprepared and did not get the 24th. Somehow got VERY lucky to snag studio yesterday morning for the 25th (Standard view at that!) and then plan to get the rest of the trip in a 1 bedroom till we were out of points. Was even prepared to buy some 1 time use points if needed to get as many days as we could. I stalked that site all day yesterday watching rooms on the 24th open back up but the 25th gone. Same thing this morning. I was able to get a 1br for 7 nights starting on June 26th, but noticed right after completing my reservation, that June 25th had availability again in the same room, but 26th is sold out. 100% has to been people walking it right? Adding a day at the end the next morning and then dropping the first day?

After 12 years, I never imagined we'd have such a tight window to be able to get this trip in, but careers change, vacation ability changes. Would love to go a less busy time. I read June was a popular time but wow was that stressful to get. Planning to use 3 years worth of points at once only to have to scramble to get the resy....phewwww. lol
Yes it took me over a week of attempts to finally get a week in early June. Lesson learned, Aulani subsidized acquired 🎉

This will be our first year trying to do CCV during December so hoping the 1BR’s aren’t as bad as the studios 🙏

This will be our first year trying to do CCV during December so hoping the 1BR’s aren’t as bad as the studios 🙏
I don't think you will have a problem as long a you book when the 12 month window opens. At BWV, 1Bedrooms SV haven't been a problem at 11 months - they weren't for 2023 for us, so I doubt they will be an issue at CCV either.

Historically, CCV 1 Bedroom villas have not been an issue at 11 months.
DVC Field Guide - CCV 1 Bedroom

I don't think you will have a problem as long a you book when the 12 month window opens. At BWV, 1Bedrooms SV haven't been a problem at 11 months - they weren't for 2023 for us, so I doubt they will be an issue at CCV either.

Thanks. We have a December use year so no walking for us. All I can do is wait until New Years and see how it goes 🤞

I agree with CarolMN I think the 1 bedrooms will be fine at 11 months.

Our goal is 1 bdrm points so we don't have to walk each year.

I agree with CarolMN I think the 1 bedrooms will be fine at 11 months.

Our goal is 1 bdrm points so we don't have to walk each year.
We don’t quite have enough points for a 1BR but the studios are just too small for 2 adults, 1 teen, 1 toddler, and 1 newborn so we have to borrow like a hundred points to do a full week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter