***Riding out the hurricane at a Disney resort? Post your experiences here!***

Hope y'all are having a fun (and safe) time riding out Irma!

We're planning a Sept/Oct trip to WDW, probably next year and it's made me think of things I never thought about. Like, you know, hurricanes. Just out of curiosity, how do the hotels handle guests with food allergies/intolerances during this 'ride out' period? I have Celiac and I know I'd be OK at the restaurants, because Disney is super for allergies/intolerances. It's more the 'grab and go' pre-packed meals and snacks to keep in your room I'm curious about. Has anyone seen 'gluten free' or 'allergy friendly' packed lunches? Or a good variety of allergy friendly snacks? You can only eat so many bags of plain potato chips and Snickers bars!

We're here now.. The chefs are amazing with food allergies and have been for the last 10 days we've been here , but we didn't want to assume that gluten free would be an option for the next couple of days (staying at Pop Century) ... so we bought extra portions of g/f chicken tenders and fries yesterday and are keeping them on our fridge. We can eat them cold during curfew, and heat up in the microwave when possible (we did that for lunch today). All the snack supplies are low now in the Pop food court, but normally they have g/f mini cupcakes and brownies at least, and fruit. We're all stocked up with snacks from the Walmart too. Hope that helps :-)

I've been checking too as I have some time planned there as well in a couple of weeks. I'm really surprised at how very few postings there are over there about Irma!!

The Universal board just doesn't get the traffic that the Disney boards do. However, the regulars on the Universal board are great, dedicated, and as friendly as can be. Not saying people here aren't.

If I was plannign a September stay in Disney I am choosing a resort with interior corridors and a lobby. I would not wish a hurricane on me or anyone else, but if I am stuck in one, I want Disney! I am so glad you all are making the best of a tough situation!

I seriously should not have read this thread. We were due at the Poly on Friday (leaving next Saturday) and I cancelled everything Friday morning. I'm so upset I could cry.

I seriously should not have read this thread. We were due at the Poly on Friday (leaving next Saturday) and I cancelled everything Friday morning. I'm so upset I could cry.

Don't feel bad. I remember you from the Irma thread. There were people on that thread scaring posters to death about this trip. (they should be ashamed of themselves)

You made the best decision you could with the information you had and when you are able to make your new trip it will be AMAZING!!! :) pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:

POFQ just had Mardi Gras parade after making jeweled masks......donald, pluto, chip, dale have been in the lobby for 5+ hours.

Bar open until 9...room curfew at 10.....driving curfew at 7.

I love POFQ! Glad to know the bar hours and curfew have been extended. My plan would be to have fun, go to bed at 10:30 or so, and hopefully sleep through the worst of it. Stay safe!

How did you get this done, did you go to the front desk?
Yes.
I went to concierge to see if there would be a way to get to our GF dining reservations tomorrow. After we established no, they formally cancelled them. To me, better to do it proactively rather than "let the system" take care of it. Cancelled today's dining reservations as well.

I then asked if Disney knew how they were going to comp for park tickets for the 2 cancelled days. We booked hotel and tix through AAA. So a refund of the cost for 2 days was our only option.

They credited it to our account so we can use it now via magic and charging. Any credit after our trip will be credited to our charge card.

My last trip to the lobby I went to concierge to thank them for everything, let them know how appreciated it was, and about all iabout the great positive postings going on here from all of the different resorts.

Guests and CMS have been fantastic.

We adore the recreation staff at POFQ! We were just there, and flew home on Thursday to avoid the storm. The recreation staff at the French Quarter are beyond extraordinary. We think they have a better recreation staff that at any of the deluxe resorts we have enjoyed.

Most respectfully I would like to add another viewpoint. No judgement, no animosity, just another side....

Some dogs, when left alone in a strange setting, will bark, and bark, and BARK. Perhaps the pet owners who are out and about are choosing the more respectful option. If they need a meal or even just a short break from the room, leaving their pet could have far worse consequences. Most of these animals are probably well socialized and could pose a great learning experience for the apprehensive child or adult. Friendly pet owners usually LOVE to share their love of pets with others. :dog:

No answer for those with allergies but hopefully you have an epi pen available.

The point about the barking is well-taken, but unfortunately those who are legitimately scared of dogs - and I'm not talking about kids who are just wary - will be in an awful situation, unable to fully relax and enjoy common areas without constantly looking around for a surprise dog. I got over my very serious fear when I was a teenager (and now actively seek out every single dog so I can pet it!), but my mom had hers all her life.

That said, I'm happy to see hotels taking pets, if the alternative is people refusing to evacuate because of them.

Last edited:
Thank you Poly for keeping us safe, informed AND entertained and for welcoming evacuees and their pets with open arms!

Trying to insert video but not succeeding!

We are at YC and honestly the staff has been nothing but amazing. So many activities and fun things to keep our family entertained. There is currently a 7pm curfew, meaning we have to be in our resort by then. We have been moving between BC &YC all day. Currently waiting for our table to be ready at Cape May Cafe for dinner.

Hi...we are at Pop Century (50's building behind the jukebox). The CMs have been awesome. Everyone with a smile and super helpful. Food court was open until 3pm today. People were in the pool all morning until it closed around 2pm. We haven't experienced any lines to speak of at the food court and thought that was all handled very well. Almost every guest we have encountered has been great as well. Seems like people are prepared and knew what was ahead of them so for the most part people who didn't want to be here have left. We are one of those that flew in yesterday morning (my wife and I are both in our 30s and no kids). We may have made a different choice if we had little ones to consider. In our opinion it was worth it to get done what we did at HS and Epcot yesterday. We feel comfortable with our decision and are incredibly impressed with Disney and the CMs during these couple of days. Heavy rains on and off but we expect the worst overnight through 8am tomorrow. If anyone needs anything at POP until the curfew tonight let us know. We have chargers, plenty of water, and snacks. Best wishes to everyone and let's all stay safe.

And for those concerned with pets and having to use the bathroom. When we went through hurricane Sandy our dog would not go outside even during calm periods. He just held it until the storm was over. Animals can sense changes in weather we can't. It's not that long of a time period for them to wait to go out. And those dogs that need to can use pee pads on the bathroom tile floor. For those who are so concerned about pets...how many kids do you think have had accidents in the hotel, on the floor, on the beds, etc. Please don't kid yourselves (no pun intended). It's life....these things happen. Let's all keep a positive attitude and get through this together.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter