Riviera Sales by the numbers (vs CCV) for 2019 - (December added 1/16/2020)

I actually love the location of RIV! I totally understand that MK is the "big" park but it isn't my favorite (and possibly isn't my 2nd favorite). The idea that you have to be an MK to be a premium resort is WAY over exaggerated in my opinion. I love the idea of having access to both gates at HS and EP while still being a stone throw away from the Boardwalk. I have no issue with the other resorts being on the skyliner loop, because i'm not sure why that matters? RIV will have some of the biggest rooms of all the DVC resorts, not to mention incredible room design.

I honestly think DVC is moving more towards stay where you buy (and occasionally might be able to switch) and if that is the case, sale restrictions aside, I think RIV is going to be a much better premium product than a lot of DVC resorts.

...I’m sorry, but this must be said too. Who are these people acting like they don’t want to stay at a hotel “next to a moderate” or “share gondolas with value hotel guests”. I don’t want to go too off subject here, but really?!? You think the DVC resorts are so nice that you can’t mix with the “regular folk”? I’ve been to quite a few DVC events, and there are all kinds of people at them even those who “can only afford moderates or values” but bought in on the cheap. I also have quite a few friends who can easily afford deluxe and choose value because they don’t want to spend the money. These are doctors, lawyers, engineers, investment bankers, you name it. I’m just very tired of seeing this. Ok. Rant over for now...

***Edited the CCV initial sales date

I didn’t mean to ruffle any feathers by pointing out that Riviera’s location near the very large moderate resort CBR as well as it’s rather close association with two budget resorts may have a negative impact on its’ perceived value. That comment isn’t disrespectful to people who chose to stay at moderate or budget resorts, rather I was pointing out that in real estate location does effect value.
SSR and OKW are the least expensive resorts on the resale market for 2 reasons, first is their location which is not near any parks like the nearby moderates POR and POFQ, and second they are larger resorts. Riviera’s location - which includes the neighborhood it is in - may impact how desirable it’s perceived to be. To make financial sense DVC should save you money over cash reservations in the long run. VGF saves me money v. paying the cash rate for a GF room. Poly presumably saves owners money v. paying cash for a Poly room. Riviera with it’s high point cost per night & high MFs, most likely won’t save someone money over staying at the nearby CBR, POP, or AOA. Thus the value question is does Riviera offer me enough more in ambience and amenities v. just investing my $30-50,000 buy in and paying cash to stay at POP, CBR, or AOA if I want to stay in that neighborhood. The Skyliner, which looks to be awesome btw, doesn’t tilt the scales in favor of the Riviera because guests at CBR, POP, & AOA also enjoy that benefit.

I didn’t mean to ruffle any feathers by pointing out that Riviera’s location near the very large moderate resort CBR as well as it’s rather close association with two budget resorts may have a negative impact on its’ perceived value. That comment isn’t disrespectful to people who chose to stay at moderate or budget resorts, rather I was pointing out that in real estate location does effect value.
SSR and OKW are the least expensive resorts on the resale market for 2 reasons, first is their location which is not near any parks like the nearby moderates POR and POFQ, and second they are larger resorts. Riviera’s location - which includes the neighborhood it is in - may impact how desirable it’s perceived to be. To make financial sense DVC should save you money over cash reservations in the long run. VGF saves me money v. paying the cash rate for a GF room. Poly presumably saves owners money v. paying cash for a Poly room. Riviera with it’s high point cost per night & high MFs, most likely won’t save someone money over staying at the nearby CBR, POP, or AOA. Thus the value question is does Riviera offer me enough more in ambience and amenities v. just investing my $30-50,000 buy in and paying cash to stay at POP, CBR, or AOA if I want to stay in that neighborhood. The Skyliner, which looks to be awesome btw, doesn’t tilt the scales in favor of the Riviera because guests at CBR, POP, & AOA also enjoy that benefit.
I didn’t think you were in anyway being elitist. I just saw a chance to attempt to be funny.

I wasn’t directing my comments at any one poster. I honestly can’t even keep track of how many have made comments about AoA, POP, and CBR being on the gondola as a negative. I didn’t know who made the comments, but I keep seeing them made.

According to your argument, no one should own BWV or BCV either. They both share the boats with Swolphin, so why pay the premium when you can stay at Swolphin for significantly less than BWV or BCV? BRV and CCV are a stone’s throw away from the campsites at Ft. Wilderness which also use a boat for transportation. Why pay that premium for CCV or BRV either when I can get to Ft. Wilderness just as easily via boat and save a bunch of money? I will tell you why people pay the premium: to stay at a nicer resort/hotel. Just because a nice hotel may be close to a hotel which isn’t as nice doesn’t keep people from staying in them. Now, if the proximity of cheaper accommodations is a deal breaker for some, that is their prerogative. I just don’t get that Riviera is the big, bad wolf for daring to be close to cheaper accommodations and/or sharing a transportation system while BRV, CCV, BWV, and BCV aren’t.

CBR is my favourite mod on property. I know a lot of people around here dislike it, but we just love it. Before becoming DVC members we stayed there annually - at least 20 times.

That being said, I do find it strange that Riv will be overlooking CBR. To me it detracts from the theming of both resorts. I also find it odd that the preferred studios (a large majority of studios) will presumably have views of CBR. If I’m paying a premium in points for preferred at my home resort of Poly, I’m looking at the castle.

I’m also sad for our beloved CBR, as now they’ve got the gondolas flying right through the middle of their resort which has to kill the relaxing Caribbean atmosphere that we love so much. It’s got to be more than a little distracting to be floating in the Aruba quiet pool and having these things flying literally right over your head with people from above staring at you.

That being said, I am excited for it to open and see what happens. I’ll reserve my complete judgement until then!

CBR is my favourite mod on property. I know a lot of people around here dislike it, but we just love it. Before becoming DVC members we stayed there annually - at least 20 times.

That being said, I do find it strange that Riv will be overlooking CBR. To me it detracts from the theming of both resorts. I also find it odd that the preferred studios (a large majority of studios) will presumably have views of CBR. If I’m paying a premium in points for preferred at my home resort of Poly, I’m looking at the castle.

I’m also sad for our beloved CBR, as now they’ve got the gondolas flying right through the middle of their resort which has to kill the relaxing Caribbean atmosphere that we love so much. It’s got to be more than a little distracting to be floating in the Aruba quiet pool and having these things flying literally right over your head with people from above staring at you.

That being said, I am excited for it to open and see what happens. I’ll reserve my complete judgement until then!

I don't get "preferred" at Riviera. 75% of the rooms are preferred. Does preferred now just mean "not the parking lot"?

I do have to agree that the views of CBR should’ve been deemed “standard”. I think people could wrap their heads around that. As someone who books standard views because we care more about saving points, this would have been more appropriate. Views of parking lots or other random stuff which take away from the theme of your particular resort at the other WDW resorts are all standard. To deem a view of a different resort as “preferred” is silly.

I do have to agree that the views of CBR should’ve been deemed “standard”. I think people could wrap their heads around that. As someone who books standard views because we care more about saving points, this would have been more appropriate. Views of parking lots or other random stuff which take away from the theme of your particular resort at the other WDW resorts are all standard. To deem a view of a different resort as “preferred” is silly.
I agree. If there’s so view of anything special, it should all just be one booking category and point chart, like BCV.

I don't get "preferred" at Riviera. 75% of the rooms are preferred. Does preferred now just mean "not the parking lot"?

From their description of Preferred views (theme park or "water"), that's basically it. Now, I'm not really on board with the idea of splitting things into more micro-categories, but I think the only way to really "solve" this issue is to split Preferred view rooms into two new categories: Theme Park and Water View. Otherwise I can tell you right now, most people booking Preferred without reading the fine print are going to assume they will have a view of one of the two parks (which is mostly Disney's fault because they're really pushing the whole "see fireworks from this hotel" angle).

My personal feeling is that while CBR might look nice across the water, it's not worth the increased points for Preferred view vs Standard.

BWV has something like 27 standard view units and all the rest are garden or boardwalk view. (same point cost for garden or boardwalk view)

BWV has something like 27 standard view units and all the rest are garden or boardwalk view. (same point cost for garden or boardwalk view)
Yes, but P/G and BW View are actual booking categories. RIV preferred view doesn’t give the option of designating TPV or Water View when booking. Knowing before you arrive at BWV that you’re either going to be looking at BCV or the scary clown is important to keeping guest expectations in check.

Yes, but P/G and BW View are actual booking categories. RIV preferred view doesn’t give the option of designating TPV or Water View when booking. Knowing before you arrive at BWV that you’re either going to be looking at BCV or the scary clown is important to keeping guest expectations in check.

That could always change at RIV if they get excessive requests for a certain area. It's been done before. OKW and SSR come to mind.

I’m sorry, but this must be said too. Who are these people acting like they don’t want to stay at a hotel “next to a moderate” or “share gondolas with value hotel guests”. I don’t want to go too off subject here, but really?!? You think the DVC resorts are so nice that you can’t mix with the “regular folk”? I’ve been to quite a few DVC events, and there are all kinds of people at them even those who “can only afford moderates or values” but bought in on the cheap. I also have quite a few friends who can easily afford deluxe and choose value because they don’t want to spend the money. These are doctors, lawyers, engineers, investment bankers, you name it. I’m just very tired of seeing this. Ok. Rant over for now...

***Edited the CCV initial sales date

It isn't about sharing with value guests or being next to a moderate, it is about why pay a premium for something when you can get it at a moderate or value price. Location wise, the RIV is the same as the CBR and the values that are on the Skyliner. Pricing for Disney has always been driven mostly by location, with resort theming/amenities 2nd on the list. Look at Bay Lake and Wilderness Lodge. Wilderness Lodge beats Bay Lake on everything other than location, yet Bay Lake has always been priced higher than the Wilderness Lodge. Same with AK, a beautiful resort, but still priced lower because of its location.

I don’t mind a bit that CBR is next door, or if it is what I see off my balcony, if my room and room finishes are what I see for RIV.

if I can use the skyliner to get to EPCOT. I don’t care that the skyliner is shared with values... TTC is wide open to all for the monorail and that didn’t ruin the VGF, BLT, or Poly.

I’m also okay with RIV eating up some points if it’s similar to VGF in room finish, dining availability and concierge services. I will pay for something “more” at this point in my life, including 11month booking priority to make sure I have best chance of staying in a room type I prefer. My life is busy, so I need to reduce the battle somewhat to stay where I want.

I’ll resale some Poly or VGF in the future, and I’ve researched and considered this for about 10 years, so I understand every variation of saving money per point while still getting access to the resorts. I personally don’t feel like battling it out 7 months with direct SSR points.

it is about why pay a premium for something when you can get it at a moderate or value price.

This is exactly where people are going to disagree. Riviera lovers don't see CBR, Pop, and AoA as substitutes to get "the same thing" for a cheaper price, they place value in the accommodations, resort amenities, dining, etc.

But if most of what one cares about is a bed, pool, and quick service options, many would do better to avoid even value resorts in favor of off site resorts that are increasingly offering many of the same on site benefits.

A lot of opinion differences will be hammered out after the resort opens. For example people will differ now on the better location for parks between Boardwalk and Riviera. My own thought is that Riviera is better situated because short skyliner rides are more appealing to than walking in same time (getting off my feet) or boating (time involved). But maybe that's untrue, maybe the skyliner lines will be untenable. Again, not something we'll know until the resort opens.

You can now get a nice slow ride thru the skyliner station and a pretty nice view from both directions. I wouldn't discount that for a sales boost. It does look pretty "grand" (if you will) coming upon it from up above.

This could be a negative as well seeing how close Caribbean Beach is to the resort without actually staying there to likely understand it won't matter.

where a brand new DVC resort could be built with a very short walk to MK. Would those considering a purchase possibly wait to see if this is on the horizon?

Some of those who would want that short walk will have kids that will "outgrow" MK as the "only" park by the time it would be built.

Darn right. If I can even sense that there's a moderate resort nearby, it's game over! Heck, I may not even ride the Skyliner because the gondola car I get might have once been to a value resort! :oops: the HORROR!!

8-)

You joke but is it not a negative? Its not even that they are value. There is going to be roughly 300 rooms at RIV and 6500 rooms elsewhere on the Skyliner. Think of how easy it is for those guests to arrive and take up common space for the fireworks views at the bars and restaurants (if it turns out to be "the place").

There is even some negatives for BWV with possibly more people using BWV entertainment resources and spaces (unless BWV gets maintenance reductions because of purchases made by people visiting the Boardwalk). Now that I think of it, its probably worse for BWV than it will be for Riviera since its "free" entertainment.

We are buying more points in the spring but here is why we won’t buy at RIV in this order:

1. Resale restrictions simply a deal killer. The contract length is long and we will be dead before it expires. Why would we leave our kids a contract to deal with like that?
2. Point chart too high
3. Member fees too high
4. Reliant upon the gondola which we are not thrilled about. (Crowds of people packed in gondolas/ yes, no a/c another deal killer for us/ sweaty people in gondolas— just yuck.)
5. Resort is boring. Not a lot of effort in theme. Disney phoned this one in.

This could be a negative as well seeing how close Caribbean Beach is to the resort without actually staying there to likely understand it won't matter.

Some of those who would want that short walk will have kids that will "outgrow" MK as the "only" park by the time it would be built.

You joke but is it not a negative? Its not even that they are value. There is going to be roughly 300 rooms at RIV and 6500 rooms elsewhere on the Skyliner. Think of how easy it is for those guests to arrive and take up common space for the fireworks views at the bars and restaurants (if it turns out to be "the place").

There is even some negatives for BWV with possibly more people using BWV entertainment resources and spaces (unless BWV gets maintenance reductions because of purchases made by people visiting the Boardwalk). Now that I think of it, its probably worse for BWV than it will be for Riviera since its "free" entertainment.
Agree completely on this. It is becoming a serious problem for Disney. They are going to start having to limit resort visitors. There are annoying people all over utube telling people to go hang out at resorts and do the “free” activities instead of buying park tickets.

As long as they don't fill up Atlantic Dance Hall, it's OK with me. I wouldn't want that place to get more crowded than it already is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter