rude people behind you at a show, what would you have done?

BeccaG

DIS Veteran
So the other night we were at one of DL's night time shows. we had arrived early to get a good spot with are two kids, both under four and 3 grandparents in tow
About 45 minutes before show time a few of us go to the bathroom. I get an urgent text to return. When i arrive my mom explains the family behind us had told their kid to squeeze on front of her and she had said, excuse me that's spot is for my family
His mom jumps in and says that was rude
My .mom says she is sorry if that is how it sounded but those seats were saved
Well then mom and teenage daughter continues to make snide remarks loudly behind our backs
I turn around to tell them they need to stop. To make a long story short. (I know too late)
Words were exchanged, nothing foul but security ended up moving them
. So What would u have done?

Sorry, OP, that happened to you and your family. :hug:

Next time have an adult in your party go get a CM before it comes down to words being exchanged. :thumbsup2

Sorry, OP, that happened to you and your family. :hug:

Next time have an adult in your party go get a CM before it comes down to words being exchanged. :thumbsup2

Thanks. I thought of that but it felt so elementary school yard like..

That happened to us at WoC. I told the kids they had to leave, their parents were upset about it and talking behind us, and when I turned around, they shut up.

Depending on how abusive their language was, I may have ignored it. Sometimes it's just easier that way. If they are persistent and abusive with their language, I would have turned around and had words.

I'm not dumb enough to have a physical altercation in the parks (I don't want to get banned), so I would likely setup a meeting at the flagpole at 3:00.... :thumbsup2

That happened to us at WoC. I told the kids they had to leave, their parents were upset about it and talking behind us, and when I turned around, they shut up.

Depending on how abusive their language was, I may have ignored it. Sometimes it's just easier that way. If they are persistent and abusive with their language, I would have turned around and had words.

I'm not dumb enough to have a physical altercation in the parks (I don't want to get banned), so I would likely setup a meeting at the flagpole at 3:00.... :thumbsup2

Thanks. I am probably a little more sensitive about it because she is my mom and it has been a rough year

Did you have a blanket or something where you were based , marking your spot ?

Were these people behind you when the group went to the toilet ? Maybe you could have told them what you were doing , my experience is tell the folks around you and they will help mind your space by stretching out a little and looking out for you .

No need for words to be exchanged thats silly - if they didnt know you guys were there , can you blame them ?

So the other night we were at one of DL's night time shows. we had arrived early to get a good spot with are two kids, both under four and 3 grandparents in tow
About 45 minutes before show time a few of us go to the bathroom. I get an urgent text to return. When i arrive my mom explains the family behind us had told their kid to squeeze on front of her and she had said, excuse me that's spot is for my family
His mom jumps in and says that was rude
My .mom says she is sorry if that is how it sounded but those seats were saved
Well then mom and teenage daughter continues to make snide remarks loudly behind our backs
I turn around to tell them they need to stop. To make a long story short. (I know too late)
Words were exchanged, nothing foul but security ended up moving them
. So What would u have done?

rossip - clearly they knew they were there after they were told so! Sure, the initial 'moving in' could have been an honest mistake, but when they were told the spots were saved for people that went to the washroom, that should have been the end of it. And yes, I would blame them for making snide and rude comments after the issue was completed - that was childish and sounds like they were trying to start something

We have had this happen to us a few occasions too.
I think it is truly rude for parents to force their kids into the front rows after they have clearly seen you standing/sitting there. I think its rude!
Sorry you had a bad experience, but you handled it as best as you could of.

I agree it is completey uncalled for and we had something similiar happen. We had been at the 50th movie and then wanted to wait for the parade but it was going to be AWHILE before it started. 3 hours in fact LOL but everyone was simply exhausted and so we got some GREAT seats on the benches on top of the train station. We sat down and then a few of us went and got ice creams from Gibson girl and then we kind of took naps while we waited and people watched. We were obviously there a LONG time but then as the parade got closer people started filing in behind and to the sides of us.

Well we had about 2 or 3 feet between us and the railing and I had planned to video the parade. Not to mention regardless I wanted an unobstructed view and I think waiting 3 hours gave me that right to have that! Anyway this man comes up and stands behind me but then pushes his kid in FRONT of me. At first she sat on the ground next to my kids and since I could see over her head I didn't say anything but then when the parade started she stood up RIGHT in front of me. I said excuse me several times but the dad did nothing and so my husband said please move. Well then the dad went ballistic and said this is for the kids or some garbage like that and started getting into an altercation with my dh and I turned around and said look if you wanted a good view for your child you should have gotten here 3 hours in advance like WE DID!!!! Then he starts cussing us out and going on and on. I have ALL of this on video because of course I was trying to tape the parade. I could NOT believe the nerve of this guy. I was nice enough to even LET his kid sit in front of us when clearly we were there LONG before he walked up but then he had to be rude and a jerk. I really don't get the mentality of some people where they think they can get away with this stuff.

We also had something similiar at world of color this past june. We paid a LOT of money for the dinner package and got a spot up right next to a railing. There was a small cement fence type thing at the end of the railing where the cast member said MANY times to people no sitting on or putting kids up there. Well once the lights went out what did the people do, put their kids up there and let them STAND on top of this fence. I was livid. Not only did it TOTALLY block our view but when I said excuse me I can't see the guy just looked at me and then turned back around. GRRRRR.

SO rude!

I am so sorry this happened to you. It sounds like you handled it very well. We just returned from our trip this past week and some people just think they are entitled to do whatever the heck they want. DH and I and my girls were lined up early for something as well (first ones in line) and two boys and their mom and grandma basically ended up in front of us. First, the two boys went right around my DH and were in front of us. Next thing I know, the grandma and mom are standing right next to me. I just don't get it. I don't get how people think that's ok?! My DD8 looked at me and said "Why is he (the boy) in front of us?" Now I am getting all fired up again! :laughing::furious:

I feel your pain! That happened to us at WDW Epcot -Illuminations. There were 6 of us at a spot waiting, and both little ones needed the restroom, so grandma (me) took one and DD took the other and we rushed off leaving the men to watch our spots. A very rude woman and her kids pushed in between our guys. DH explained that we would be right back from the restroom, and she went on a tirade about not being able to save places, and she was staying!
Security was quick! There was words exchanged,:rolleyes1 and the lady left, unwillingly. This is one reason I hate these kind of shows. They stress me out.:headache:

FWIW...
-we did have blankets and the like marking our spot
-no I do not believe they were there before we left and there was a good ammount of room in our section but none in the front row

-as many of u shared in your accounts the mom went on and on about how it was for her son and it's his birthday. I understand her sentiment, in fact we gave a poncho and created a view for another family with small children earlier. However, we had kids to and had gotten there early to insure a good view for them and my mom in law's bday.
Thanks all for your kind words, again not sure what i would have told security bwforwthw point i called them

Just wondering, in cases like this, do you have to call security, or are they just so discretely omnipresent that they "appear out of nowhere"? It's these sorts of scenarios that make me hesitant to even attempt any of the holiday evening entertainment without feeling like I would have to fork out a small fortune for reserved viewing packages.

I would shoot them a dirty look and then ignore anything after that. Maybe flex a little muscle too...:lmao: However, if their words got to the point to where it was interrupting my enjoyment then I would say something. I don't see anything wrong with confronting a problem as long as you're keeping it mature. If they intend to escalate it to another level then I definitely think telling a CM/security would be the next step. I can be a very nasty person but a show at Disneyland is neither the time nor the place.

I am so sorry this happened to you. It sounds like you handled it very well. We just returned from our trip this past week and some people just think they are entitled to do whatever the heck they want. DH and I and my girls were lined up early for something as well (first ones in line) and two boys and their mom and grandma basically ended up in front of us. First, the two boys went right around my DH and were in front of us. Next thing I know, the grandma and mom are standing right next to me. I just don't get it. I don't get how people think that's ok?! My DD8 looked at me and said "Why is he (the boy) in front of us?" Now I am getting all fired up again! :laughing::furious:

I would have chimed in loudly that it's "because he is being rude and not following the rules."

I would have chimed in loudly that it's "because he is being rude and not following the rules."

I know...I should have. :sad2: I am such a non-confrontational person though. I did tell DD "I am not sure why he is front of you" loud enough to where they probably heard, not that they cared....

I know...I should have. :sad2: I am such a non-confrontational person though. I did tell DD "I am not sure why he is front of you" loud enough to where they probably heard, not that they cared....

Well I chimed in and it it just got worse, albeit temporarily. I debated for a good 20 minutes if I should just ignore them and they went on and on, so I said something. I totally understand not saying something too, because you are right, rude people don't care.

Allowing kids to come through and be in front is ok by me as long as it is not compromising my or anyone in my party's view.... But it is also not a right, often I will offer or if someone asks thats ok too, but to simply push them forward without asking is rude.... I am sad to say I have seen posts here where people have said that as they had waited for hours, that gave them the right to have that spot with noone in front of them (and from that I take regardless of whether it affects their view or not).... People this is Disneyland, it is all about the children and thats why Walt built the park in the first place....

rossip - clearly they knew they were there after they were told so! Sure, the initial 'moving in' could have been an honest mistake, but when they were told the spots were saved for people that went to the washroom, that should have been the end of it. And yes, I would blame them for making snide and rude comments after the issue was completed - that was childish and sounds like they were trying to start something

Oh I agreee with all the above - sorry if my initial post sounded like I was having a shot at the OP , the fact she had a blanket there was enough for me to say she had that area staked out !

However I have seen on many occasions people pushing through the crowd claiming to meet with family and friends only to force themselves into a better viewing position. Likewise people who mind a space for hours whilst the rest of their party is off riding etc and show up minutes before the show starts , both very annoying.

Exchanging words however is so not the Disney experience !

All I can say Becca is if the mother and daughter behind you continued to carry on , they are not worth it and shows the type of people they are. The fact security moved them shows you were right !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter