rude people behind you at a show, what would you have done?

In crowd/line situations when people push in our crowd my personal space I start talking to my friends about my "Rash and Cough".
I tell them all about how the doctor doesn't know what it is or if it's contagious and I start coughing and scratching a lot.
The risk of catching my germs might make them move! ;)
If that doesn't work get one of the boys in your group to make an unpleasant odour! Lol.

I am so sorry this happened to you. It sounds like you handled it very well. We just returned from our trip this past week and some people just think they are entitled to do whatever the heck they want. DH and I and my girls were lined up early for something as well (first ones in line) and two boys and their mom and grandma basically ended up in front of us. First, the two boys went right around my DH and were in front of us. Next thing I know, the grandma and mom are standing right next to me. I just don't get it. I don't get how people think that's ok?! My DD8 looked at me and said "Why is he (the boy) in front of us?" Now I am getting all fired up again! :laughing::furious:

This is so true. Next time, let them know that if they don't respect your space you will be calling a CM.

It's unfortunate that many of us go to DL to have a great time and end up running into people like this.

Thanks. I thought of that but it felt so elementary school yard like..

Yep...and the folks behind you were the ones stuck in elementary years not you. Being disappointed that you can't have the seats you want is fine....continuing to make rude remarks about it as if that's somehow going to change your mind and you give them the good seats....juvenile.

I'm all for wanting a nice seat to watch the parade/show whatever....but if I really think it's important than I know to get there early. Sometimes VERY early. If I'm not willing to do that then making some other family feel bad or intimidated as I try to worm my way into their seats....wrong, just wrong.

The CMs are trained to deal with these problems. SO let them rather than enduring ongoing rudeness. Sad part is, the CM probably moved them to a spot that made them happy....when they didn't deserve it. But that's kinda juvenile in my thinking as well....after all who cares so long as they're not annoying me anymore, lol.

Really, these big crowd situations are the only thing I hate about a trip to Disneyland. We are the "get-there-really-early-to-get-a-good-seat" kind of people. Like clockwork, there is always some family that tries to squeeze in a kid or two or the whole lot of them. Rude, rude, rude.

My two SILs are the nicest people you'll meet, but they said they had to be very forceful and strong when it came to people wanting to take "empty" spots that they had saved while their family used the restroom or grabbed a snack. They said people just couldn't take no for an answer! One said that her son fell asleep on the bench and a lady just proceeded to sit on her son's head! :eek:

My two SILs are the nicest people you'll meet, but they said they had to be very forceful and strong when it came to people wanting to take "empty" spots that they had saved while their family used the restroom or grabbed a snack. They said people just couldn't take no for an answer! One said that her son fell asleep on the bench and a lady just proceeded to sit on her son's head! :eek:

Last trip we had a nice spot on one of the tiered sidewalk areas waiting for the 2nd F! show. Because it was so late, the then 6 & 8 yr old fell asleep on the sidewalk next to the railing. Try as hard as we might, they were NOT waking up! :sad2: The youngest was asleep in her stroller, which I placed in front of me at the rail, but because the older ones were sleeping to my right, the stroller was sticking out a bit to my left. Some girl was trying desperately to crowd her way in and get me to move that stroller, but I couldn't without running over the other two. DH, MIL & I had to sort of straddle all the kids to keep them safe. (Getting everyone back to the hotel after that was quite the adventure, lol!)

I really want to do the F! Desert Package to avoid all this, but DH isn't buying into the cost, especially since I'm already wanting the Holiday Tour package to not have to volley for parade seating. I guess I'll let him camp out for 5 hours to save and protect a spot for the early show this time.....:confused3

In crowd/line situations when people push in our crowd my personal space I start talking to my friends about my "Rash and Cough".
I tell them all about how the doctor doesn't know what it is or if it's contagious and I start coughing and scratching a lot.
The risk of catching my germs might make them move! ;)
If that doesn't work get one of the boys in your group to make an unpleasant odour! Lol.

OK, that has to be my favorite idea yet!!

I am always suprised how many times this sort of things is talked about. I don't care how early I get for something, it's disney and kids come first. I will always offer to make sure and help those around me be able to see. I will share a table at the fireworks or even move so that my view is partial so someone else can enjoy the magic as well. I think that's what makes disney magical...the spirit of the people.

I am always suprised how many times this sort of things is talked about. I don't care how early I get for something, it's disney and kids come first. I will always offer to make sure and help those around me be able to see. I will share a table at the fireworks or even move so that my view is partial so someone else can enjoy the magic as well. I think that's what makes disney magical...the spirit of the people.

My thoughts exactly...

I'm all for sharing the magic. Sharing, helping others to see... all good points. I've traded tons of pins to kids for crap just because they were kids and were cute about it.

However, when a situation like the OP describes occurs that is where my "magic" stops and yes, I will complain. Doesn't matter if there's kids involved or not.

Don't get me wrong, I am not blaming the kids. In 99.5 percent of the cases I've experienced it is the parents' fault.

But if you let the parents get through with their rude behaviour in my opinion that does only tell the kids "hey, just be rude and obnoxious, it might work out in your favor after all!" And that is not a lesson I like any kid to learn.

I'm all for sharing the magic. Sharing, helping others to see... all good points. I've traded tons of pins to kids for crap just because they were kids and were cute about it.

However, when a situation like the OP describes occurs that is where my "magic" stops and yes, I will complain. Doesn't matter if there's kids involved or not.

Don't get me wrong, I am not blaming the kids. In 99.5 percent of the cases I've experienced it is the parents' fault.

But if you let the parents get through with their rude behaviour in my opinion that does only tell the kids "hey, just be rude and obnoxious, it might work out in your favor after all!" And that is not a lesson I like any kid to learn.

I totally agree with sharing the magic. That said, I also totally agree that what happened to the OP was out of line. Sharing your space is one thing but having someone cut into your space and then be very rude when you ask them to move back because the family took a quick potty break and have them be nasty with you.......well that is uncalled for. I personally have let children who I noticed standing behind me trying to see in between the adults in our group up so that they could see. I've asked that they not block the kids in my group and they almost always respect this.

Ultimately I feel that the grip here isn't that "someone stepped into my space" but that "someone was very nasty about me not giving them my space and letting them block my view." So in this case......I fully agree that the OP has a right to vent.

I am always suprised how many times this sort of things is talked about. I don't care how early I get for something, it's disney and kids come first.

Well...why? Why is it ONLY for kids? Why do you sacrifice your enjoyment, when you clearly planned better, for the kids of lesser planners?

Not that it's not nice that you do that, but why is it a MUST?

I personally think it should all be height-based. Of course, I'm 5'3" so obviously I'm biased LOL...

I'm really sorry this happened. :( UGH..........

I am never shy about letting people know that we are in line and that they need to get in back of us. It AMAZES me how many people just show up and are oblivious to everyone else in line/waiting/etc.

If people want the spot in front/along the rail, then they need to get there themselves. I would never dream of having our daughters go in front of someone just because the are children. That fact doesn't mean they can displace someone else who has been waiting. I'll never understand some people. <shaking head>

See now that's just plain rude, actually going to sit on his head. Some people think that if they go to do that that you're just going to move so they can sit down, whether or not someone in your party may have just gone to the restroom or to go grab something to eat.

I have many times let small kids get in front of us so that they can see better, especially at the parades when I'm standing at the sidewalk. I don't like when the parents (who are already tall) put the kids on their shoulders in front of me and then I can't see, when my dad took me and my DD to WDW he stood near the back (he's 6'3") and he put my daughter on his shoulders then so she could see and he could still see but there was no one behind him. I understand that it's Disney but it's not just for the kids. The adults pay to go there so they have just as much right to make sure that they get the spots that they've been at for hours and not have people shove their kids in front of them and then come up after them.

I agree with the spirit of your suggestion,but what if you didn't have anymore space to move, or someone insisted that you had to share? I have no problem sharing and as i mentioned earlier had already made room for another family. However, what I do have a problem with is people being rude if I don't have room to share and then bad mouthing my mother when we decide we can't fit anyone else. And I must admit I am less inclined to share when they are rude first. And should i give up my children's view for their kids? That sounds snarky and it's not meant to, but I got there early for a reason, to ensure a good view for my children and my mother in law for her birthday.

I really didn't want to start a debate about sharing :) Sorry if this is a sore and repetitive subject.

...it's disney and kids come first....

Why is that?

Do adults not deserve a magical experience? Do adults not have dreams? Do adults not get to buy into the fantasy of it all?

Help me to understand: Why do kids come first?

- Dreams

I'm really sorry this happened. :( UGH..........
If people want the spot in front/along the rail, then they need to get there themselves. I would never dream of having our daughters go in front of someone just because the are children. That fact doesn't mean they can displace someone else who has been waiting. I'll never understand some people. <shaking head>

I think there has to be a little give and take on this subject....

If you have a good spot that can accommodate anothers children without compromising your own view and space then why wouldn't anyone allow this?????

What everyone agrees on is it is not a right and must be politely asked for and if refused or not so obvious that you don't have the room because you have some of the party absent then the person asking for the space has to move on without comment.... there is no excuse for rude behavior....

I remember on our first trip, my kids were much younger and smaller and a number of times I asked or was freely offered space in front of adults for my son who was only 7... It was not our whole group but just my son. He got to talk with some other kids while they waited, their view was not compromised and everyone won... We have done the same in reverse since and have met some lovely people, its all part of the experience...

Why is that?

Do adults not deserve a magical experience? Do adults not have dreams? Do adults not get to buy into the fantasy of it all?

Help me to understand: Why do kids come first?

- Dreams

Walt built the park for children and adults alike, as a family place that parents can enjoy as well as their children... Families means children and I really don't understand that if you can spare a little space for anothers child to have a view of the show they otherwise would not have and that it doesn't compromise your own view and enjoyment why wouldn't anyone allow this... I don't think anyone here is inferring that any child should have priority over any adult for viewing spots just because they are children...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter