Rumor about “modified experiences” when Disney reopens (read 1st post for potential modifications being considered)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious if anyone else with a summer/fall trip will be traveling with little kids and how you think you’ll handle the M situation?
I don’t think my 7 year old will handle it well.
If it’s actually being required/enforced for kids we may have to cancel..

Curious if anyone else with a summer/fall trip will be traveling with little kids and how you think you’ll handle the M situation?
We have an 8 yr old. He will wear it whether he likes it or not because I want to go. :)

And I kid you not, I listened to the whole thing and the very second he said DisneyWorld, my internet crashed. Wasn't down long, but still- I have the absolute worst luck in the world.

If your internet wasn’t down too long I guarantee you didn’t miss a thing! lol.. That man can talk for hours & say pretty much the same thing 10 different ways 🙄

I saw plenty of kids wearing their masks yesterday at citywalk. At that age I think you can explain what needs to happen, and if they agree that they will leave it on, have the kid practice at home wearing it for a couple of hours, then walk outside or ride a bike or whatever for a couple of hours

I saw plenty of kids wearing their masks yesterday at citywalk. At that age I think you can explain what needs to happen, and if they agree that they will leave it on, have the kid practice at home wearing it for a couple of hours, then walk outside or ride a bike or whatever for a couple of hours
My grandson is here with me, and we honestly had never asked him about how he feels about masks. He's been at home the entire time, so hasn't had to wear them hardly at all. His first reaction when I asked, " If Disneyworld is open, and we have to wear masks, would you rather stay home?" His answer was a no, he didn't want to wear masks. So, I said, do you mind waving goodbye to Grandma when we leave? Because I don't mind wearing a mask." He promptly changed his mind. lol He's going to get some practice wearing one, just to get past the whine stage, but he'll manage. 8 yrs old is plenty old enough to understand. Besides, if I make him one with Forky material, he may never take it off. Gotta bribe 'em sometimes.

I think it is more than just the "M" situation when it comes to kids. The younger ones especially will WILL whine about that and
I thought about this the other day. How disappointed will the kids be (and how will they "handle" it in the hot Florida sun) when:
1) "No we can't go to Tom Sawyer's Island - it's closed"
2) "No, we can't go see Cinderella, she isn't home today"
3) "No, we can't go see the Tiki Birds, we aren't allowed to go inside"
4) "I know you're hot, but we have to eat outside right now"
5) "I know you are tired, but the line to get on the bus is really long because they are only letting on half the people"

So is it worth to try and vacation with them when disappointment and "rules" will be around every corner?

My 5 year old wants to be like the adults wearing masks. She'd probably do better with it than I would, but like the rest of us, she would take it off as quickly as possible as well. I don't know how this would translate into a hot humid day anywhere, let alone in a park, but still worth a shot, imo. I also think we'll get to a point rather quickly that we as a nation are tired of masks and most will go back to not wearing them even to the places that say they require them and no one will say a word.

I think it is more than just the "M" situation when it comes to kids. The younger ones especially will WILL whine about that and
I thought about this the other day. How disappointed will the kids be (and how will they "handle" it in the hot Florida sun) when:
5) "I know you are tired, but the line to get on the bus is really long because they are only letting on half the people"

So is it worth to try and vacation with them when disappointment and "rules" will be around every corner?

I’ve thought of all that too.. my son loves the rifles at Tom Sawyer’s Island and I predict a tantrum over that if it’s closed..
I just hope we find out soon what will be open and when.
Our trip is July 11th which is now looking like possibly in the first two weeks of being opened.
We would need to see info and feedback before deciding to go or not..

I’ve thought of all that too.. my son loves the rifles at Tom Sawyer’s Island and I predict a tantrum over that if it’s closed..
I just hope we find out soon what will be open and when.
Our trip is July 11th which is now looking like possibly in the first two weeks of being opened.
We would need to see info and feedback before deciding to go or not..
Also things like what if pool is open at WL but splash pad closed? My son will freak out. We need details like this!!

I am booked for July 14 w DS9 and DD14 - SHE really doesn't like the mask, but here in nyc, we must wear it - she won't wear it in wdw, and I wouldn't force her to (in the summer)
We would just cancel if mandatory
Son is on spectrum and has sensory issues, so he really doesn't like the mask !

It depends on the kid. Ours will have the situation fully explained once we know details so he knows what to expect. We've had trips before where disappointments were plentiful, but there were plenty of good times too. This will be no different. He's been to WDW many times- he knows all about the heat, the lines and missing things we wanted to do that nothing could be done about. If this were a once in lifetime trip or even one we only made once a year, we wouldn't be considering it.

I also have a 7 year old, and I have no idea how she would respond. We won't know until we get there. Kids can be very unpredictable. It would really be no fun if she decided after half an hour in the park that she was not going to wear the mask. She might be fine, but she might decide that she is having none of it. I made her a couple of masks with the thinnest, sheerest material I could find, and she thought they were so cute. Wore them for about 45 seconds. Thought it was fun to take them on and off, on and off.

It would really be awful for people to pay the admission prices Disney charges and then have to leave after an hour or so because their kids won't wear the mask. Could we then expect a refund?

Of course, the talking point around here would be "Make your child or don't take your child. Easy peasy."

Really not so easy peasy at all.

Regardless of the union contract, something will change with the masks soon, I still believe. Disney has to be kid friendly. Masks are not kid-friendly. They aren't even adult-friendly.

I am sure there are plenty of childless adults who are happily dreaming of a kid-free park experience, but that would be so un-Disney.

I will be watching in June to see what happens with the mask situation at CityWalk and Disney Springs, and hopefully by mid-July (our third trip planned this summer- and probably the one we are most likely to take), they will have devised a more practical plan- more along the lines of what Germany and the airlines are doing.

It depends on the kid. Ours will have the situation fully explained once we know details so he knows what to expect. We've had trips before where disappointments were plentiful, but there were plenty of good times too. This will be no different. He's been to WDW many times- he knows all about the heat, the lines and missing things we wanted to do that nothing could be done about. If this were a once in lifetime trip or even one we only made once a year, we wouldn't be considering it.
Sure, I wasn't really referring to the disappointment or the potentials tantrums while there. I was just more referring to just "why go .. if half the stuff they would WANT to do is just impossible." My kids too have been many times already, so they will be happy with what they can do, I am also talking about MY disappointment by having to tell them "Nope" around every corner. At home and at school kids are told "can't do that" around every corner. I like vacations to be a little more freedom for them. I think a "virus-mode" theme park will just be more of "don't touch that, cant' do that, that isn't open" .. too much negative and not enough positive.

If we were local, or was less than a day drive away, sure, let's put on the masks, go to WDW and see what we can do, but to plan (and PAY ) for a "normal" vacation when it won't even be close to that. Nah. I think I'm all in on passing .. even if Disney is (by some miracle) open on June 16th.

And besides, like people have mentioned above. We have ZERO details of what the parks will be like, so hard to plan and prepare and look forward to a trip that (for me) is only a month away and may be forcibly cancelled anyway.

We all know that social distancing and wearing masks 100% of the time can't really work in most of our walks of life. There are just too many things where people HAVE to be close to each other: elevators, airplanes, theme parks, sports arenas, the waiting rooms of doctor's office, standing in line at the DMV, going to a Chick Fil-A.

So, yes, even places at 50% capacity means people won't even be close to 6 feet apart. And we NEED to be okay with that. But, at this point, the fear is so large we just can't jump in with both feet without freaking out a lot of people. So governors paving a path to re-open (no matter how risky) is a GOOD thing over governors that feel locking down longer "until its safe".)

The reduced capacity is just simply to help reduce the odds of getting infected in a crowded place AND help people "feel" safe. To help communities feel its okay to start going back to being among other people (which is needed in order for society to function). Once people start getting back out there and doing "normal" things at a reduced capacity, with safety procedures in place (like masks on), then the country as a whole can begin to heal and feel ALMOST as safe going out and about like we ALL do during flu season.
That's why masks are needed, you can't enforce 6 foot distances in too many places at WDW. That said some doctors offices are having you wait in your car. You'll be called or texted when it's time to go to an exam room. We had to take our dog to our vet. We waited in our car. An employee took our dog from our car to the vet. The vet talked to us on our phone. There are things business can do to reduce physical interaction.

At least he gave an outline of what theme parks need to do to open present a plan with safety plans for employees and guests along with a proposed opening date and he approves or denies i guess

I would guess that Disney/UO was already aware that they would need to submit a plan for reopening and as already have this mostly ready present, especially since the have reached an agreement with the labor union. All this is definitely progress!

I listened to most if the press conference, I agree that man can definitely talk! But, I was actually pretty impressed with him and how Florida has handled the situation.

I would guess that Disney/UO was already aware that they would need to submit a plan for reopening and as already have this mostly ready present, especially since the have reached an agreement with the labor union. All this is definitely progress!

I listened to most if the press conference, I agree that man can definitely talk! But, I was actually pretty impressed with him and how Florida has handled the situation.
yes, all major parks are part of the Florida task force and the Orange Co task force, so they probably knew what would happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter