Running costumes

OMG Keels! I love that skirt! You made that?? Ugh I wish I could sew, lol! Luckily my mom lives with us and she is an excellent sewer. Just sometimes she doesn't "get" what I am wanting so I have to have patterns for her. And she has been in California for over a month and won't be back till 9/13 so I need to figure out what I need her to make SOON! :)

Sewing isn't hard! It just takes A LOT of patience. I can't make much - mostly things like curtains/roman shades and pillowcases. BUT. I started making my own Halloween costumes about four years ago because I'm really picky and so I've been branching out since then!

@Keels as cool as your shirt it I have to say I'm in love with your skirt. That fabric is perfect for world of color.

Awww, thanks! :flower3:

It wasn't what I was originally envisioning, but it caught my eye at the fabric store when I couldn't find what I was exactly looking for. I'm SUPER thrilled with how it's turned out!

I just got this skirt in the mail. It is the first piece for the first of my three costumes for Princess Weekend. I was super excited to find this. I have been searching everywhere for blue polka dot fabric to make a skirt. I had actually bought some on esty, but the store never shipped it and I ended up having to get a refund.

I'm planning to do a classic Minnie. I'm going to add ears and the red hat with the daisy on top.

Love seeing all the pics. I get easily irritated by anything "extra" by mile 3 so I am all about Disney "inspired" outfits.

It's so cool seeing all of these awesome costumes. Being a guy I'm having a hard time finding an inspiration on what should be for at least the WDW 5k. Not sure if I want to wear a costume for the half.
Yes, I saw people running as X-Wings, TIE Fighters, and even the Death Star itself during Star Wars race weekend, but I also saw simple race costumes that clearly evoked the character. If you want to run in a costume, just start simple.

There are plenty of simple running costumes for men that work quite well. Just think of your favorite Disney characters and/or your favorite Disney films and then think about how to apply their look to something you would wear and feel comfortable in while running. And if nothing comes to mind, there just watch a Disney movie and think of how to simplify the attire for running purposes. The Disney fairy tales are actually simple enough for men's running costumes. What does the Prince wear in the movie? Can it be easily adapted to a running costume? I've ran as Prince Phillip from Sleeping Beauty and that was somewhat complicated, but still doable with tech clothing. If you're not stubborn like me, Eric from The Little Mermaid is even simpler. Black shirt, red pants/shorts and you have Mickey Mouse. Blue shorts/sweats and a green little green men shirt from Toy Story. Anger from Inside Out is also simple enough.

It doesn't have to be limited to traditional Disney either. Last year I saw a lot of tech shirts for Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk et all in my local sporting goods store. Star Wars offers a lot of simple enough costumes without armor or fur as well. White shirt, dark vest, and blue short/sweats and you have Han Solo. If you want to expand outside of Disney, Batman and Superman are simple enough and I know of people who ran in Star Trek costumes at the Star Wars 1/2. I'm not one to say that a costume should be limited to Disney. If I ever run the Avengers 1/2, I'm running as Batman. Again, coming up with a running costume can be as simple as wearing running clothing in the same colors as that character.

At least for me, the far more difficult part of a good running costume is doing it on the cheap since I run in tech clothing for comfort reasons.

Sparkle skirt questions: Do any of them have pockets? Also, what do you find most comfortable to wear under them?

The basic sparkle skirts from www.sparkleskirts.com have a "pocket" in the waistband. I say "pocket" because I don't know what you could actually use it for - nothing would stay in it (no zipper) and it is teeny.

The basic versions at www.sparkleathletic.com son't have any kind of pocket.

I wear bike shorts under them (you HAVE to wear something under them!)

SparkleSkirts knowledge:

SparkleLights: no shorts (so you can wear them over your own shorts, capris, whatever), one pocket in the waistband, cost less
SparkleTechs: have shorts, 3 total pockets (one on each leg and another on the waistband - skirt can be worn so that waist pocket is in front or back), cost more. Different cuts available, but the waistband is the same on all: SwingStyle (cut as a semi-circle, allowing more room and a "swingy" flow to the fabric) HikerChic (same as SwingStyle except that the skirt is 2" longer and the undershorts are 1" longer), SlimCut (cut into a bell-shape, so they are more form-fitting and best suited for athletic, straight or apple shaped figures - the undershorts are exactly the same as SwingStyle) and VentedSlimCut (a slim cut with a "vent" or opening in one side). Note that HickerChic and VentedSlims cost more than Swing and SlimCuts, and XL, 2XL and 3XL sizes cost more than XS, S, M and L sizes.

(Per SparkleSkirts FAQ section.)

I have a slightly related to costumes question for my Sparkle Skirt wearers out there ...
From looking at the skirts, they look like they're meant to be worn on the waist. Can they be worn on the hips or is that too awkward with the shorts?
(I'm specifically thinking of the HikerChic style, which if I wear it on my hips may be one of only running skirts I've found that's long enough for me).

I am one that always wore just the basic running clothes. When my DD said she wanted to run the GSC and run it with me. I said you bet. Started talking about costumes. I told her I would run in what ever she wanted me to. Right now the plan is we both go as Maleficent.

What do you think. This 56 yr old guy is going to have a blast running with my daughter. She ran the half with me in January.
That's just ... so fantastic! Love the hi-low for the dress and the shoes are KILLER!

Here's my Ariel-inspired running look! Pretty simple, but, again, I feel like it captures the essence of her look.

View attachment 114695
That headband is so very very perfect. I love how running costumes you just need the essence to be able to make it perfect!

I've worn all sorts of costumes for various Disney races... I've gone as Elvis, Thor's Hammer, Trader Sam, Magic Carpet, three different pirates, Stinky Pete (Toy Story 2), and Russell from Pixar's Up. I've also created several costumes that I haven't even worn yet... Baymax, Gaston, Sultan, and John Darling. I've also have a few in the works that I prefer to keep a secret. What I've learned wearing costumes is that you shouldn't expect to PR any race because people like to take pictures with you and sometimes the costumes are just to bulky or awkward. Good luck and have fun.
If you were Mjoinir for either the DL Half or Avengers last year I feel like I saw you? Your face was painted too? I would be amazed if I was thinking of someone else because how many hammers are running half marathons?!

Half Marathon outfit for Disneyland - finished!

View attachment 114891
Gosh, that looks so amazing! I did the Mickey Mouse CLub logo on the back but then decided I wanted something on the front for pictures and for people to "get it" and just did like a little upper chest one. When I saw your pic it was like duh- the sleeves.

Annnnnnnnnnnnd ... World of Color is almost done!

I just have to finish off the headband/hairbow (that's the black sparkle fabric) and attach the under lining of the skirt in the same black sparkle fabric. Then, just cut the hems to fit and I'm done! I'm really excited with how this one is turning out! I can't wait to wear it in front of the fountains for the 5k!

image-jpg.115238
The pink shirt with the yellow behind Mickey- it's all so perfect. Please post the pic of you at the fountains! It will be so color-iffic!

Sewing isn't hard! It just takes A LOT of patience. I can't make much - mostly things like curtains/roman shades and pillowcases. BUT. I started making my own Halloween costumes about four years ago because I'm really picky and so I've been branching out since then!
I started making my running costumes just based on seeing things on esty and seeing how expensive they are and figuring there must be some way to make it for less. Hadn't sewn anything ever before my first Disney race in 2014. It has since branched out from running costumes to steampunk- can't wait for the kids to go to school so I have time to get back to sewing!

I just got this skirt in the mail. It is the first piece for the first of my three costumes for Princess Weekend. I was super excited to find this. I have been searching everywhere for blue polka dot fabric to make a skirt. I had actually bought some on esty, but the store never shipped it and I ended up having to get a refund.

I'm planning to do a classic Minnie. I'm going to add ears and the red hat with the daisy on top.

Thanks! I'm pretty excited about it. I have searched everywhere and I haven't been able to find pics of anyone else that has done it before.

I'm trying to decide if I need to do a white frilly underskirt too. :-)
Love the blue classic Minnie! It's so sweet! If you are running the 5k or 10k as Classic Minnie, I'd say the frilly underthings would be a fun touch, but if this is a half marathon costume, the frilly-ness might not be worth the loss of comfort. Are you going to have a daisy in your hair?

So now that I have just one week before I shove my kids back to school- er I mean, my life will be sad an empty while they fill their heads with knowledge- I'm thinking Avengers costumes. Last year for the 5k I was Star Lord and the half I did Captain America. This year I'm doing the 5k, 10k and half, so I have three costumes. I'm thinking of reusing one of them and doing a girly Hawkeye (like the one I made for my daughter) and then for the half I was thinking of a Disney/Marvel mash up, like Tinker Thor or Captain Anna, where it's basically an Avenger's costume done in the colors of a Disney character. Thoughts?

This year I'm doing the 5k, 10k and half, so I have three costumes. I'm thinking of reusing one of them and doing a girly Hawkeye (like the one I made for my daughter) and then for the half I was thinking of a Disney/Marvel mash up, like Tinker Thor or Captain Anna, where it's basically an Avenger's costume done in the colors of a Disney character. Thoughts?
We've recently turned our attention to the 10k and half for Avengers as well, also leaning toward a mashup so that we can stand out a little bit. We had a lot of fun with our 2014 EEC mashup as Kermit the Hulk and Wonder Piggy...

Kermit-the-Hulk.jpg

With the long blonde hair I could see a good mashup between Thor and Rapunzel, maybe swapping out Mjolnir with a magical skillet. For the Captain America 10k I've thought about some kind of Cap'n America Crunch mashup (the cereal) or maybe a Steve Rogers Rabbit spin. Maybe some mashup potential between Buzz Lightyear/Ironman, Jack Skellington/Ghost Rider, and Elsa/Storm, too...

We've recently turned our attention to the 10k and half for Avengers as well, also leaning toward a mashup so that we can stand out a little bit. We had a lot of fun with our 2014 EEC mashup as Kermit the Hulk and Wonder Piggy...

Kermit-the-Hulk.jpg

With the long blonde hair I could see a good mashup between Thor and Rapunzel, maybe swapping out Mjolnir with a magical skillet. For the Captain America 10k I've thought about some kind of Cap'n America Crunch mashup (the cereal) or maybe a Steve Rogers Rabbit spin. Maybe some mashup potential between Buzz Lightyear/Ironman, Jack Skellington/Ghost Rider, and Elsa/Storm, too...
Oh my gosh, those costumes are wonderful! Kermit Hulk! It *really* isn't easy being green!
I love all the mash up ideas! All of them! Captain America Crunch! You are mixing your Army/Navy, sir!
I'm kind of leaning towards Tinker Thor and instead of the gray/silver/red having the costume be green/silver/white with fairy wings for the helmet. The bonus with that is I could reuse it for the Tink half.
However, my concern is that shoving a chubby old lady in the costume the mash up aspect would be lost on the instant recognition scale, ya know?

If you were Mjoinir for either the DL Half or Avengers last year I feel like I saw you? Your face was painted too? I would be amazed if I was thinking of someone else because how many hammers are running half marathons?!

Yes, I was Mjoinir for the Avengers race last year and yes, my face was also painted to match the hammer. I was such a fun race and I had a great time with my fellow runners.

I have a slightly related to costumes question for my Sparkle Skirt wearers out there ...
From looking at the skirts, they look like they're meant to be worn on the waist. Can they be worn on the hips or is that too awkward with the shorts?
(I'm specifically thinking of the HikerChic style, which if I wear it on my hips may be one of only running skirts I've found that's long enough for me).
There is no eloquent way to put this...I think you'd have a saggy crotch if you wore it that way. Others may have more (better) thoughts on this.

Love the blue classic Minnie! It's so sweet! If you are running the 5k or 10k as Classic Minnie, I'd say the frilly underthings would be a fun touch, but if this is a half marathon costume, the frilly-ness might not be worth the loss of comfort. Are you going to have a daisy in your hair?

I'm going to use this one for the 10K. I'm thinking maybe just a ruffle made of white spandex would give the hint of frill without being too distracting. It might end up being too many layers though.

I am planning to buy a Mickey ear hat and then create Minnie's red pill box hat and daisy on it. I'm also trying to decide if there is some way to make my shoes yellow.

There is no eloquent way to put this...I think you'd have a saggy crotch if you wore it that way. Others may have more (better) thoughts on this.

That's what I figured.
I do this a lot with skirts - wear skirts that are supposed to be worn on the waist on my hips - but my skirts don't generally have shorts underneath. I think I tried it once with shorts (as part of a Mickey Mouse costume, actually), and it didn't work.
I was hoping I'd get good news, but I'm not surprised that it wouldn't work.

That's what I figured.
I do this a lot with skirts - wear skirts that are supposed to be worn on the waist on my hips - but my skirts don't generally have shorts underneath. I think I tried it once with shorts (as part of a Mickey Mouse costume, actually), and it didn't work.
I was hoping I'd get good news, but I'm not surprised that it wouldn't work.

I was curious about this, so I tried with one of my HikerChic skirts (this one, in fact) yesterday morning. If you don't mind kind of rolling the waistband over part of the shorts waist/hip area but still under the skirt (not visible then), you can wear the skirt on your hips (or at least I could) without having the crotch sag. The only issue is that the shorts are then quite a bit shorter than the skirt. On me, by doing this, the skirt fell to just below my knees, but results may vary for others depending on leg length. It didn't seem to be less comfortable than normal, but I also didn't run with it set up like that. You could probably secure the waistband rolled over the shorts with a few reinforced darts/stitches. The other thing you may want to consider is that I think Sparkle Skirts do take custom orders, so if you really want one of their skirts but longer, this might be an option. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter