Running for my Disney - Now a PTR!

Your itinerary looks fabulous :thumbsup2 I can't wait to hear what you think of Palm Springs as that is on our list for the next visit.

Power to you for doing the marathon. In my wildest dreams I'd do it:rotfl2:…Maybe if you could walk instead of run..I'm SOOOOO not a runner. :sad2:

Your itinerary looks fabulous :thumbsup2 I can't wait to hear what you think of Palm Springs as that is on our list for the next visit.

Power to you for doing the marathon. In my wildest dreams I'd do it:rotfl2:…Maybe if you could walk instead of run..I'm SOOOOO not a runner. :sad2:

Apparently I'm not a runner either :lmao: Hopefully I'll get the 10km without causing too much damage though. I'd love to do the half marathon, but there is no way my legs would hold up :sad2:

Since Palm Springs is right at the beginning of our trip, hopefully I'll manage to get to it in my TR before you head off :thumbsup2 We've been asked by a number of people why we're bothering. Apparently it's all golf courses and country clubs and nothing else. Obviously they haven't seen what I've seen, because I'm not at all into golf or country clubs and I'm really looking forward to it! :confused3

Apparently I'm not a runner either :lmao: Hopefully I'll get the 10km without causing too much damage though. I'd love to do the half marathon, but there is no way my legs would hold up :sad2:

Since Palm Springs is right at the beginning of our trip, hopefully I'll manage to get to it in my TR before you head off :thumbsup2 We've been asked by a number of people why we're bothering. Apparently it's all golf courses and country clubs and nothing else. Obviously they haven't seen what I've seen, because I'm not at all into golf or country clubs and I'm really looking forward to it! :confused3

We didn't go into or stop at Palm Springs itself, but we really enjoyed going up the Aerial Tramway.

I LOVED the Camarillo Outlets, we barely scratched the surface though, there are so many shops.

Palm Springs seems to be pretty popular atm ,especially for weddings etc. Hey, if all the cool kids are doing it, why not :lmao:…I can't wait to hear what you think of it .

We didn't go into or stop at Palm Springs itself, but we really enjoyed going up the Aerial Tramway.

I LOVED the Camarillo Outlets, we barely scratched the surface though, there are so many shops.

Do you have any photos? I'd love to see!

Glad to hear you enjoyed the Camarillo outlets too. I hadn't heard of them, and wasn't sure what they would be like, but it was really the only place I could fit in a bit of outlet shopping :rotfl:

Palm Springs seems to be pretty popular atm ,especially for weddings etc. Hey, if all the cool kids are doing it, why not :lmao:…I can't wait to hear what you think of it .

Absolutely :cool2:

Glad to hear you enjoyed the Camarillo outlets too. I hadn't heard of them, and wasn't sure what they would be like, but it was really the only place I could fit in a bit of outlet shopping :rotfl:

Camarillo is one of the best outlets we've been to as well. The range of shops is great and you might need to think about which shops you hit depending on the time you have. We originally thought a couple of hours shopping on the drive up the coast. We ended up there for 4 hours and had to drag ourselves away.

Absolutely :cool2:

Here is one on the Tramway looking down

Just caught up with your posts and saw 'MY' Anaheim house. So exciting!! We loved it and its so easy to walk to the parks.
It's a little smaller than I expected, but still fine. We were there for 9 nights. We didn't use the outdoor area though as it was a bit overcrowded with bushes, and had way too many bugs for me!
The laptop was great, even though we also had our own. There is absolutely everything you could want there.
You're going to be very envious of your Mum and Dad as they'll be able to watch the Disney fireworks out of their bedroom window!

Camarillo is one of the best outlets we've been to as well. The range of shops is great and you might need to think about which shops you hit depending on the time you have. We originally thought a couple of hours shopping on the drive up the coast. We ended up there for 4 hours and had to drag ourselves away.

Thanks for the advice PIO. Will make sure Mum and I make a list of priorities before we go. I'll have to look up the opening hours too.

Here is one on the Tramway looking down

Awesome! Thanks :goodvibes

Just caught up with your posts and saw 'MY' Anaheim house. So exciting!! We loved it and its so easy to walk to the parks.
It's a little smaller than I expected, but still fine. We were there for 9 nights. We didn't use the outdoor area though as it was a bit overcrowded with bushes, and had way too many bugs for me!
The laptop was great, even though we also had our own. There is absolutely everything you could want there.
You're going to be very envious of your Mum and Dad as they'll be able to watch the Disney fireworks out of their bedroom window!

Awesome! It's great to hear first hand from someone who has been there :thumbsup2 Any nights that we're 'home' and the fireworks are on, we'll be invading the main bedroom too!

Just a couple more updates...

First, on the accommodation front.

I've booked our 2 bedroom suite at Sunnyvale Garden Suites Hotel in Twentynine Palms.

Front and entrance

Gardens

Hot tub deck

Room

Room courtyard

Also booked the Tower Suite at Bella Capri Inn & Suites in Camarillo, on their advice.

Front and entrance

Kitchen

Dining area

One of the bedrooms

I've sent a booking request to the Corral Creek Resort too, but will wait until I get the confirmation.

After much discussion between the four of us, we have decided not to go ahead with the Arroyo Grande rental. I'm disappointed because it looks amazing! But it was just turning out to be too much hassle just for 2 nights. We're currently looking at a cabin at the KOA (like a Big 4) in Santa Margarita - s'mores anyone? :rotfl:

We've also decided to ditch VRBO for Palm Desert, and are currently looking at a 2 bed 2 bath suite at Homewood Suites by Hilton.

Next, on the running front.

I've got my appointment with the sports doctor tomorrow morning before work (which means I have to leave home by 6:30am :crazy2: there's dedication for you lol!). I really hope he has more to offer than everyone else I've seen so far!

Finally, on a completely new idea ;)

DH has suggested we add a few days to the end of our trip, because he wants to do more flying to get AA miles :rotfl: So guess who might be off to Arizona for 3 nights :cool1:

Our very rough proposed itinerary for that section:
Day/Night 1: Overnight train from LA - Winslow
Day/Night 2: Drive to Payson via Homolovi ruins and Petrified Forest
Day/Night 3: Check out the Tonto Natural Bridge, Montezuma Castle, and end up in Cave Creek for a sunset trail ride among the saguaro cacti
Day/Night 4: Make our way to Phoenix and start the trip back home (via Chicago and LA...)

Boy, it was really hard to narrow it down for only 3 nights!

Trying not to get too excited though - nothing's locked in yet.

You're heading to Winslow, Phoenix and Chicago? Cool.

KOA. I have fond memories of KOA's. We spent 4.5 weeks doing a camping tour across the US on one of our earlier trips. The Kampgrounds of America were the 5 star resorts in the camp world back then. They were the only campgrounds with thick, lush grass. So comfy to sleep on. :rotfl:

Your accommodation looks great.

Does that hotel room have a piano? That place looks cool - just the kind of quirky decor that would appeal to me.

You're heading to Winslow, Phoenix and Chicago? Cool.

KOA. I have fond memories of KOA's. We spent 4.5 weeks doing a camping tour across the US on one of our earlier trips. The Kampgrounds of America were the 5 star resorts in the camp world back then. They were the only campgrounds with thick, lush grass. So comfy to sleep on. :rotfl:

Your accommodation looks great.

We'll, it looks like we may be heading to Winslow and Phoenix. The most we'll see of Chicago is the airport :rotfl:

Add-on days are always cool! All in all looking great.:thumbsup2

Hopefully it works out :thumbsup2

Does that hotel room have a piano? That place looks cool - just the kind of quirky decor that would appeal to me.

I think it's one of those old style desks. But I think there was one place that had a piano, so maybe that's it :confused3

Yeah I'm really going for the more off the beaten path type places on this trip. Going for charm and character over 'pleasant' looking hotel rooms that all look the same.

Another accommodation update...

We both received our confirmations for the Corral Creek Resort, just out of Kernville. This is our base for the Sequoia National Forest, and is the only place where we were unable to find a 2 bedroom suite. We booked 2 separate king rooms and have asked to be located to each other.

Hotel exterior

King bed

Kitchenette

I also heard back from the owner/manager at the Santa Margarita KOA, and we have decided that it will be suitable for us instead of the vacation rental. Which reminds me, I must contact that lady and tell her we have changed our mind.

Although we were happy with the existing cabins with one queen and a cool looking sleeping loft with twin beds, I've been advised that there should be a brand new 2 queen cabin installed and ready for occupation by September :thumbsup2 I've been instructed to book the original cabin and put a note on it that we would like the 2 queen cabin if available. She also confirmed that they can provide good quality linen and towels, and that she would personally help me find a way to make s'mores if there does happen to be a fire ban and we can't use the campfire :goodvibes

And after that, the only accommodation we will have left to book is Palm Desert.

And finally, a leg update!

After much ado this morning trying to get to the city on time, I finally made it to the sports doc!

He was very good, really listened to my symptoms instead of just assuming that it's shin splints. He actually thinks that it has been around far too long and persistently to be shin splints, and wanted to investigate other possibilities.

In the end, he came to the conclusion that it's probably a condition called compartment syndrome. What this basically means is that the fascia holding my lower leg muscles together does not have enough elasticity to allow the muscles to expand when they're working. He said it's not anything I've done, I've most likely always been like that.

I have to do a test to confirm a diagnosis, which measures the pressure in my muscles before and after exercise. If the pressure is above a certain level, it means that it's compartment syndrome.

If it does turn out to be compartment syndrome, no amount of therapy or training will allow me to ever do anything more than a leisurely stroll without getting some sort of shin pain. The only option is surgery. Apparently it is a fairly simple procedure, and the doctor says there's still time before the run. Unfortunately though, the doctors who are able to do the test are currently tied up with the tennis :furious:

Although the test is invasive and painful, and the solution involves surgery and probably a few weeks of rehab, I'm still hopeful that this is it! At least then I'll know what it is and I can go about fixing it :cool1:

This appointment has given me a glimmer of hope, and my enthusiasm and motivation for training has just gone through the roof! I really want to work on my aerobic fitness and muscle conditioning, so that when my legs are fixed, I can get straight into serious training :thumbsup2

I will of course keep everyone updated as I go through the process.

Finally! A way forward on your leg. Hope that it all works out for you, Zanzibar and that it is properly treated. Surgery seems a little extreme from where I am sitting; but I guess the experts know best.

Will you have a bit of time in Sequoia? We really enjoyed our walk up Moro Rock. The views from the top were spectacular and the walk was a little test of nerves at times as we were walking up a stairway.

YAY for only having one more accommodation to go.

Is there a reason to fly into Chicago? It is very out of the way from Phoenix. This might be one time where a direct flight is best. I know that SouthWest just had a sale and Phoenix to LAX was $69 one way.

Finally! A way forward on your leg. Hope that it all works out for you, Zanzibar and that it is properly treated. Surgery seems a little extreme from where I am sitting; but I guess the experts know best.

I decided long ago that if there was a surgical way to fix my legs, I would do it. From what the doctor says, it makes complete sense that surgery is the only way to fix that problem, it just depends whether it turns out that's what I have. I'm thrilled to have found someone who's willing to look into things a bit further anyway, rather than just assuming it's shin splints :thumbsup2

Will you have a bit of time in Sequoia? We really enjoyed our walk up Moro Rock. The views from the top were spectacular and the walk was a little test of nerves at times as we were walking up a stairway.

We've only got time for 2 nights at the very southern tip of the Sequoia National Forest. Unfortunately we won't have time for the actual national park on this trip.

YAY for only having one more accommodation to go.

:cool1:

Is there a reason to fly into Chicago? It is very out of the way from Phoenix. This might be one time where a direct flight is best. I know that SouthWest just had a sale and Phoenix to LAX was $69 one way.

We'll be flying Qantas/AA everywhere on our trip, since we have platinum status with AA (gotta take advantage of all those hard-earned privileges!). DH is looking at adding extra flying segments to get extra points. We'll book it all on one ticket so we don't have to worry too much about connections, and hopefully earn enough miles to retain our status :thumbsup2

Great news that someone is taking the time to investigate your leg properly. There is nothing worse than doctors who can't be bothered looking beyond their first diagnosis.

The latest accommodation looks like it's in a lovely location. I like the way you post up accommodation pics of the places you intend to stay in. It's a nice way of letting people share your planning. I'm presently investigating some fun accommodation options for my trip, and I may have to copy your idea.

I have been jogging over a few weeks, and have an unpleasant pain in my lower left leg, not nice (possibly a shin splint?). So back to mainly walking for me. I hope you get a definitive diagnosis for your issues soon, compartment syndrome sounds pretty serious.

If you are looking for accommodation in Phoenix I 110% recommend here
http://wigwamarizona.com/index.shtml
We stayed midweek for 2 nights and had the Oasis pool completely to ourselves, there was no one else around ( the few people that were staying were in conferences during the day ). We got one of the rooms that overlooked the pool and it was just a lovely and serene couple of days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter