Running for my Disney - Now a PTR!

Good to hear you are making process with your leg though I also felt like PIO, surgery seemed a bit drastic. I would double-check there are no potential complications that could leave you worse off first. All the best with that anyway.

Love the Sequoia accom. I admire those of you dedicated to acquiring points. I have never succeeded as we flit about between airlines too much and don't work the system eg 2011 I never joined Virgin loyalty to acquire points from our US long haul-I have no idea now why I didn't. My Qantas FF may one day creep up enough for a trip to Hong Kong (my goal).

I have been jogging over a few weeks, and have an unpleasant pain in my lower left leg, not nice (possibly a shin splint?). So back to mainly walking for me. I hope you get a definitive diagnosis for your issues soon, compartment syndrome sounds pretty serious.

If you are looking for accommodation in Phoenix I 110% recommend here
http://wigwamarizona.com/index.shtml
We stayed midweek for 2 nights and had the Oasis pool completely to ourselves, there was no one else around ( the few people that were staying were in conferences during the day ). We got one of the rooms that overlooked the pool and it was just a lovely and serene couple of days.

Apparently shin splints are fairly easy to treat with physio, massage, icing, rest etc. It's only because mine's been lingering for so long and not responding to any sort of treatment at all that it's so much of a problem. I think compartment syndrome is only really serious if it's acute. If I have it, mine will be the chronic variety, which is really only bad news for running. But I've come this far, I'm not giving up now if there's a way around it!

Thanks for your recommendation in Phoenix :goodvibes I've just quickly opened the link at work and it looks great so far :thumbsup2 Will check it out in more detail over the weekend.

Great news that someone is taking the time to investigate your leg properly. There is nothing worse than doctors who can't be bothered looking beyond their first diagnosis.

The latest accommodation looks like it's in a lovely location. I like the way you post up accommodation pics of the places you intend to stay in. It's a nice way of letting people share your planning. I'm presently investigating some fun accommodation options for my trip, and I may have to copy your idea.

Oooh I will look forward to seeing your fun accommodation options :thumbsup2

Good to hear you are making process with your leg though I also felt like PIO, surgery seemed a bit drastic. I would double-check there are no potential complications that could leave you worse off first. All the best with that anyway.

Unfortunately there is just no other way to fix this affliction, so if I don't have the surgery I will not ever be able to run, and definitely won't be able to do the RunDisney 10k :sad: From what I've read, the only likely complications from the surgery are that it just won't work (in which case I won't be any worse off), or small areas of lingering numbness which wouldn't affect the use of my legs at all. Most people I've read about (found a few blogs etc) have had a relatively short and easy recovery and are very happy with the results. I will definitely discuss in more detail with the doctor though if the test results come back positive.

Love the Sequoia accom. I admire those of you dedicated to acquiring points. I have never succeeded as we flit about between airlines too much and don't work the system eg 2011 I never joined Virgin loyalty to acquire points from our US long haul-I have no idea now why I didn't. My Qantas FF may one day creep up enough for a trip to Hong Kong (my goal).

DH is quite into it and is always investigating ways that we can earn more points. We're hoping to get enough for a long haul trip (eg Europe) in business one day :thumbsup2

We'll be flying Qantas/AA everywhere on our trip, since we have platinum status with AA (gotta take advantage of all those hard-earned privileges!). DH is looking at adding extra flying segments to get extra points. We'll book it all on one ticket so we don't have to worry too much about connections, and hopefully earn enough miles to retain our status :thumbsup2

Shame that you won't have time for the NP proper; but at least you get to experience the park and the trees. I expect that there will still be plenty to do at the southern tip.

Your DH is one of the kings of collecting points. :thumbsup2 If you don't mind the extra time it will take to fly to Chicago and then back, then it will probably be worth it for you two later down the track.

I was diagnosed with compartment syndrome 3 years ago, after walking non stop for 3 weeks in Europe, my shin was really painful, everything was ok until I flew then my leg just blew up, it was so swollen, they took me offtens plane in London and sent me to hospital by ambulance straight from the plane, after thinking it was a DVT, all the tests were negative, I was eventually diagnosed with compartment syndrome, ice elevation and rest, eventually allowed it to go down.I had the pressure testing done, it wasnt to bad at all.
I am an orthopedic nurse and acute compartment syndrome Is a medical emergency, however it is only after major orthopeadic surgery that acute compartment syndrome is a problem, where emergency surgery is required to release the pressure in the compartments, and generally skin grafts are required because you can no longer close the skin together due to swollen compartments.

It was so weird to see my leg swell so much and be so painful with no injury! I know the pain you are going through:flower3:

Shame that you won't have time for the NP proper; but at least you get to experience the park and the trees. I expect that there will still be plenty to do at the southern tip.

Your DH is one of the kings of collecting points. :thumbsup2 If you don't mind the extra time it will take to fly to Chicago and then back, then it will probably be worth it for you two later down the track.

Yeah we've only got a week for 'touring', so it was either go somewhere a bit further off and spend a week there, or do a road trip and get to see a little bit of a few places, but all the destinations had to be pretty close together. I'd rather see a little bit of a few places. I'm sure Yosemite/Sequoia NP will feature more seriously in a future trip :thumbsup2

I'm not sure how I feel about flying the extra segments to get the miles directly before the long flight home, but you're right, if it all works out, it will be worth the discomfort.

I was diagnosed with compartment syndrome 3 years ago, after walking non stop for 3 weeks in Europe, my shin was really painful, everything was ok until I flew then my leg just blew up, it was so swollen, they took me offtens plane in London and sent me to hospital by ambulance straight from the plane, after thinking it was a DVT, all the tests were negative, I was eventually diagnosed with compartment syndrome, ice elevation and rest, eventually allowed it to go down.I had the pressure testing done, it wasnt to bad at all.
I am an orthopedic nurse and acute compartment syndrome Is a medical emergency, however it is only after major orthopeadic surgery that acute compartment syndrome is a problem, where emergency surgery is required to release the pressure in the compartments, and generally skin grafts are required because you can no longer close the skin together due to swollen compartments.

It was so weird to see my leg swell so much and be so painful with no injury! I know the pain you are going through:flower3:

Thanks so much for sharing your experience :goodvibes I'm finding it difficult to find that much information on it.

It sounds like you had a much more serious and dramatic onset version of it than I do. I don't really get swelling, and my shins generally stop hurting as soon as I stop exercising (which is one of the reasons why the doctor thinks it is compartment syndrome rather than shin splints). It really only bothers me when I try to run, or when I walk briskly or uphill.

Glad to hear the test isn't so bad... it doesn't sound like much fun and I'm not looking forward to it at all :sad2:

I'm not sure how I feel about flying the extra segments to get the miles directly before the long flight home, but you're right, if it all works out, it will be worth the discomfort. :

I wish I properly understood Frequent Flyer points like your husband does. I've read a bit into Air NZ's point system as that's what I have. But for the amount of travel we do (1-2 trips per year ) the benefits aren't very good. Certainly not good enough to persuade me to pick them over a cheap, comparable airline.

Europe in business class would be a dream come true. Roughly how many years and flights does it take to get to this stage? If it's more achievable than I realised, I might have to start doing more research.

I wish I properly understood Frequent Flyer points like your husband does. I've read a bit into Air NZ's point system as that's what I have. But for the amount of travel we do (1-2 trips per year ) the benefits aren't very good. Certainly not good enough to persuade me to pick them over a cheap, comparable airline.

Europe in business class would be a dream come true. Roughly how many years and flights does it take to get to this stage? If it's more achievable than I realised, I might have to start doing more research.

We're halfway there! DH has enough points just for himself so far. I think we've been actively collecting points for about 5 years, but only getting really serious about it in the last couple. We pretty much use everything we can to get points - credit card (DH has his own business so we get a few points for business expenses), supermarket rewards, hotel rewards, rental cars, phone bills... basically wherever there is an option to earn points (even if it's instead of discounts etc) we go for points. And whenever we book something, we try to go through Qantas if the price is comparable, as you can get points for all sort of things like river cruises and theatre tickets, as well as the usual stuff like hotels and rental cars. We also keep a close eye on our points before we book flights, and if we're close to earning a new status, we'll book extra side trips to get the points required.

The Australian frequent flyer programs are actually pretty poor value. American Airlines is great, it's just so hard to earn points for it from overseas. We're looking forward to stocking up when we go to the US though :thumbsup2 Also, using AAdvantage, you can actually purchase points, and they often have good promotions where you get 30% extra or something. So even if you buy the points, then use them towards an airfare, it still saves you money if you play your cards right. I'm not sure how much use it would be to you in NZ, because it's a OneWorld airline. It's good for us because it links up with Qantas, so the points and benefits are kind of interchangeable.

There is a fantastic forum for aust frequent flyers, they teach all the tricks to earn points, as a result of that forum, we have been flying on points now for about five years, the last two years in business class. We also put everything through credit cards, and then transfer our points from Amex to whatever airline has the best flight availabilty etc.
Our upcoming around the world trip is all in business class.:goodvibes

There is a fantastic forum for aust frequent flyers, they teach all the tricks to earn points, as a result of that forum, we have been flying on points now for about five years, the last two years in business class. We also put everything through credit cards, and then transfer our points from Amex to whatever airline has the best flight availabilty etc.
Our upcoming around the world trip is all in business class.:goodvibes

Wow sounds like you've got on a good thing :thumbsup2

DH is always on that forum (like me with the DIS :rotfl:). We've got heaps of great tips from there.

Just a small run update...

There is finally a thread going for the event in the W.I.S.H. area of the forums, so I've subbed in to that :thumbsup2

The information so far is that the 5k will actually be on the Friday, instead of being run kind of concurrently with the 10k on the Saturday like it was last year. I've spoken to Mum and she's keen to do the 5k as well, like a warm up. I don't think the 5k is timed, so even if we need to walk it, at least I'll get to experience a little bit more RunDisney magic! Haven't spoken to the boys yet, but if they'd rather just stick with the 10k, Mum and I will be happy enough without them ;)

Just a small run update...

There is finally a thread going for the event in the W.I.S.H. area of the forums, so I've subbed in to that :thumbsup2

The information so far is that the 5k will actually be on the Friday, instead of being run kind of concurrently with the 10k on the Saturday like it was last year. I've spoken to Mum and she's keen to do the 5k as well, like a warm up. I don't think the 5k is timed, so even if we need to walk it, at least I'll get to experience a little bit more RunDisney magic! Haven't spoken to the boys yet, but if they'd rather just stick with the 10k, Mum and I will be happy enough without them ;)

:thumbsup2

It sounds like you both have the whole frequent flyer thing wrapped up. It makes more sense now that I realise so many other purchases (other than just airfares) are helping you incur the points. Not sure why I didn't think of that.
The perks sound awesome, but I'm just not sure I have the energy to figure it all out right now.
I put all purchases on my credit card and earn reward dollars that I can use for buying a range of stuff including travel vouchers. I've been collecting the points for about 18 months and probably have enough now for a return economy flight to Fiji. Hardly first class to Europe, but it's a start :goodvibes
The good thing is that they never expire, so I'm going to ignore them for about another 5 or so years, and then hopefully we'll have enough for my family to do a whole trip to Fiji. :beach:

Wow sounds like you've got on a good thing :thumbsup2

DH is always on that forum (like me with the DIS :rotfl:). We've got heaps of great tips from there.

I'm on four forums regularly :scared1:
Obviously the dis, the flying one, the cruising one and the building one, my DH doesn't bother saying anything anymore:lmao:

It sounds like you both have the whole frequent flyer thing wrapped up. It makes more sense now that I realise so many other purchases (other than just airfares) are helping you incur the points. Not sure why I didn't think of that.
The perks sound awesome, but I'm just not sure I have the energy to figure it all out right now.
I put all purchases on my credit card and earn reward dollars that I can use for buying a range of stuff including travel vouchers. I've been collecting the points for about 18 months and probably have enough now for a return economy flight to Fiji. Hardly first class to Europe, but it's a start :goodvibes
The good thing is that they never expire, so I'm going to ignore them for about another 5 or so years, and then hopefully we'll have enough for my family to do a whole trip to Fiji. :beach:

We've got to let ours build up too - we don't earn them at that high a rate. The good thing about our platinum status with AA though is that we earn at a higher rate when we fly with partner airlines, which is handy :thumbsup2 And we're flying premium economy a bit now too (which increases your earnings rate), because DH is finding cheap fares from tips at the frequent flyer forum. So far I've used my Qantas ones for a return flight to Perth, DH upgraded me to business class on Virgin for one leg of a Perth trip, we upgraded the Perth to Melbourne part of our honeymoon on points, and the Singapore trip.

The thing you've got to watch with the Qantas one (mainly for international trips) is that the taxes are such a large portion of the fare, a lot of the time you'd find that you'd be using a large amount of points PLUS still be a couple of thousand dollars out of pocket for a family of four. For that reason, we won't redeem our Qantas points for international economy fares - we'll wait until we've got enough to go business, where the taxes are a much lower portion of the entire fare. However, AA have much lower taxes, so it would be worth redeeming for economy with them if we get enough points :thumbsup2

I'm on four forums regularly :scared1:
Obviously the dis, the flying one, the cruising one and the building one, my DH doesn't bother saying anything anymore:lmao:

Wow you're a busy bee! I get told off just for the amount of time I spend on the DIS :rotfl:

Just a small update on my legs...

I've finally got my appointment for the compartment pressure test. I'm booked in at 9am on 6th Feb. Apparently it takes an hour and costs upwards of several hundred $$ :crazy2: But I will know by the end of the test if that's what I have or not.

I've asked to be added to the waiting list for cancellations, but not holding my breath.

Just a small update on my legs...

I've finally got my appointment for the compartment pressure test. I'm booked in at 9am on 6th Feb. Apparently it takes an hour and costs upwards of several hundred $$ :crazy2: But I will know by the end of the test if that's what I have or not.

I've asked to be added to the waiting list for cancellations, but not holding my breath.

:flower3:

Good luck for it.

Just a small update on my legs... I've finally got my appointment for the compartment pressure test. I'm booked in at 9am on 6th Feb. Apparently it takes an hour and costs upwards of several hundred $$ :crazy2: But I will know by the end of the test if that's what I have or not. I've asked to be added to the waiting list for cancellations, but not holding my breath.

I'm pleased you now at least have a date. I hope they diagnose the issue and fix you up as quickly as possible. :)

:flower3:

Good luck for it.

I'm pleased you now at least have a date. I hope they diagnose the issue and fix you up as quickly as possible. :)

I got my confirmation letter yesterday. I knew the test was going to be invasive and painful, but the letter I got looks like instructions for surgery :eek:

As well as the list of what to bring, how to prepare etc, there is also a long list for after the test. Among other things, I have to elevate and ice my legs afterwards (um, could be tricky when I have to catch the train back to work!), take panadeine as directed for the pain, and not do any exercise for 24 hours (gentle stroll is ok).

Now I'm REALLY nervous!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter