• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sad Story from One Who Trusted without Checking!

Lots of great info here! I am a first time renter and you really do rely a lot on trust and its blind trust but there are warning signs. I am positive that the person renting from me checked my post count and posts that I actually wrote to help validate that i just didnt arrive and started posting to seem like an actual dismember. I did the same.....if something looks fishy at that beginning step run dont walk away from the deal!

Also- I am so glad to hear that he ended up with a positive experience!

I have rented points from Dis members a few times over the years, and I've been very happy. Of course, I would never rent from anyone who had not been actively around the boards for a while - no matter what the price! In fact, I look at the post count before even reading through the rental details.

I work for a bank and I can tell everyone never send money Western Union Money to a stranger. This is a great story, but a sad lesson. It is a loss a bank can not recover for you. However, on a postive note I caught a frauder sending real money to the people he was about to scam. I felt the next transaction would be the scam. The customer profited over $2K from me catching it. :cool1: She scammed the scammer LOL

I work for a bank and I can tell everyone never send money Western Union Money to a stranger. This is a great story, but a sad lesson. It is a loss a bank can not recover for you. However, on a postive note I caught a frauder sending real money to the people he was about to scam. I felt the next transaction would be the scam. The customer profited over $2K from me catching it. :cool1: She scammed the scammer LOL

Okay, I have GOT to know how that worked! So a scammer was sending someone money? :confused3

I almost feel like this thread needs to be a sticky somewhere here.

whooo whooo--cough--cough--just blowing the dust off this thread

We have rented in both directions (as owners and renters) so many times I've lost count. We also have begun to rent from Bonnet Creek owners. I think the success we've had is due to communication. I have found that honest renters are always willing to share names, addresses, phone numbers (home, cell, work), etc. Frequently extra emails or phone calls are made just to make sure everything is in place or offer advice for the vacation. All of our transactions are completed through PayPal to ensure extra protection and identity.

I almost feel like this thread needs to be a sticky somewhere here.
It is referenced in the stickies on the Rent/Trade Board, obviously because of the fraud aspect of the thread.

I also kinda think this thread, the annual Christmas Tree Sharing thread, and "Hanname" are worth remembering because they demonstrate the kind of community we have here on the DIS DVC boards. You don't find that everywhere...not even everywhere on the DIS.

It is referenced in the stickies on the Rent/Trade Board, obviously because of the fraud aspect of the thread.

I also kinda think this thread, the annual Christmas Tree Sharing thread, and "Hanname" are worth remembering because they demonstrate the kind of community we have here on the DIS DVC boards. You don't find that everywhere...not even everywhere on the DIS.

Ah. Hanname. I wish they hadn't retired that thread. I can't tell you how many times I read those first few pages.:goodvibes

Oh! I just found it!!!

hanname
do we have the pleasure of buying a mig at sasatoga speings thanks

I think the OP wants to know if SSR is selling Russian fighter jets. (MG's reply)

It all started with a mig.:lmao:

Sorry mods, I couldn't help it!:goodvibes
Shutting up........:rolleyes1

I would hope anyone renting would demand:
1. a written agreement
2. references
3. And be cautious of someone offering to rent with few if any post history for $9/pp. It amazes me how quickly renters jump for lowest price.

I was wondering who blew the dust off of this thread! This is a wonderful DVC/Disboard community story. I didn't know that it was a sticky, but I do now and I am very glad. I agree that this thread has so much really helpful and useful information.

On a seperate note ....

Ah. Hanname. I wish they hadn't retired that thread. I can't tell you how many times I read those first few pages.:goodvibes

Hanname - just the name wants me to :rotfl2:!

I didn't look at the date on the first post. I read it and thought "Oh, no she's done it again to someone else. " :lmao:

This is a really informative thread. Thanks to all who have posted.

Sadly, I am from NYC. But I promise you that we aren't all scammers here. Really.

I just sat and read about 35 pages of this thread... so sad! Too bad these things have to happen:(

The email address? For the poster? No...I used PM to contact her, and then what turned out to be a cell phone number thereafter. I have a name, her cell phone number (which shows her name on my caller ID and it's the same name she gave me), the city where she picked up the money I wired to her, her screen name here on Disboards, and that's it...

I realize that I am very late to this particular post. I wonder if this ever worked out somehow or was this member never seen again here?

So sorry this happened to you. I am one of the people who will greatly benefit from your sad tale. thank you for posting it.

I realize that I am very late to this particular post. I wonder if this ever worked out somehow or was this member never seen again here?

So sorry this happened to you. I am one of the people who will greatly benefit from your sad tale. thank you for posting it.
You'll benefit a lot more if you read the thread past the first page and find the answers to your questions. The thread is 66 pages, and there is a reason why it ran that long.

I am in the EARLY stages of THINKING about renting DVC points and ran across this thread in one of the "Read this first" threads. I know it is an old thread but I am very grateful for all those who contributed to it and I'm glad that it is still here for people to continue to see it. If I do end up renting, it has helped me with what I should be checking on before I send any money to anyone.

I don't know if Dani or Stacey are still around here, but I just wanted to say that I'm really glad that Stacey got her money back and I am glad that Dani found peace with it all.

Thanks again for everyone involved with this thread!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter