Sad Story from One Who Trusted without Checking!

Hi, DisneyNic...

Yup, I'm still here, and Stacey & I still swap holiday cards each year (she & her family bought DVC shortly after this experience)...since this "sad story," I've had four very positive renting experiences--two on each side of the transaction (had insufficient points of my own twice, so once I rented points for a reservation, and another time did a points transfer, both with the same really wonderful owner who I found here on the Dis; and twice when someone I "knew" (in the cyber sense!) here on the Dis needed points and I had a few extras...of course, the days of having extra points are long gone--I've added on four times, and am currently half way through 2013 points (borrowing)...Disney and DVC are addictive!

I've long since gotten over this "sad tale" and have enjoyed going on 7 years now of DVC ownership and WDW trips...

Good luck to you as you explore your options...Dani

... but I just wanted to say that I'm really glad that Stacey got her money back and I am glad that Dani found peace with it all.
There were at least three others -- that I know of -- who also lost money to this thief.

The aunt subsequently transferred the DVC membership to the thief, but I haven't checked in Orange County records in several years, so I don't know if she is still a DVC owner.

I would equate a low post count to a starter set of checks (which may not be how they do it any longer but I have had the same bank account for 14 years so I'm not sure). When I opened a new checking account, I was given a pack of starter checks that had no name or address printed on them and the printed checks were sent within a few days/weeks. There were not many, if any, places that would accept those checks. It didn't mean that I didn't have plenty of money in the account, I just hadn't "proven" myself yet.

To this day, the liquor store near me has a sign posted stating that checks under #1000 would not be accepted. If you don't write a check very often, you might not ever reach that check #. That doesn't mean you don't have the money.

I know this particular post is from a while back, but...the last two times I've opened checking accounts...no, three times...(1 in the late 90s, the other 2 in the 00s) they asked what number I wanted to start my checks at. So there goes THAT method!

The aunt subsequently transferred the DVC membership to the thief...

That's the strangest part of the tale yet! Glad I reread the whole thing tonight.

You'll benefit a lot more if you read the thread past the first page and find the answers to your questions. The thread is 66 pages, and there is a reason why it ran that long.

Aw, can't you give them a hint?

Question to anyone familiar with vacation insurance. Would this sort of situation be covered (payment made and reservation not made)?

Question to anyone familiar with vacation insurance. Would this sort of situation be covered (payment made and reservation not made)?
I wouldn't think so.

Trip insurance policies clearly state the causes they will cover. Generally, they are medical issues of the traveler or immediate family, but there are variances from company to company.

As with any insurance, it is critical to understand what IS covered and what is NOT covered.

Hi, DisneyNic...

Yup, I'm still here, and Stacey & I still swap holiday cards each year (she & her family bought DVC shortly after this experience)...since this "sad story," I've had four very positive renting experiences--two on each side of the transaction (had insufficient points of my own twice, so once I rented points for a reservation, and another time did a points transfer, both with the same really wonderful owner who I found here on the Dis; and twice when someone I "knew" (in the cyber sense!) here on the Dis needed points and I had a few extras...of course, the days of having extra points are long gone--I've added on four times, and am currently half way through 2013 points (borrowing)...Disney and DVC are addictive!

I've long since gotten over this "sad tale" and have enjoyed going on 7 years now of DVC ownership and WDW trips...

Good luck to you as you explore your options...Dani

I am so sorry that you were taken advantage of. I am glad that things worked out for Stacey and that you were able to rebuild from that experience. Thanks for posting this :hug:

I wouldn't think the insurance the DVC offers would cover it because no reservation was made. And even if it did it only reimburses the DVC member for the value of the annual dues for those points. As to private companies you would just have to check with them.

I am new to DIS and although this was some time ago feel the need to thank you for sharing this as I will be a "first-timer." I wish things like this didn't happen to good people like you. You actually made lemonade out of lemons by sharing your story to prevent anyone else from falling into this.
Thanks again! :hippie: (peace as it should be)

Thanks for all the positives for us renters/transfers on both sides as i have done it both ways. in today's world we all have to be cautious and approach things with our eyes open and i think it will be ok, i have never had a problem either way on this board. lets hope the negative stories are far and few between. if we hear about them, lets post to keep everyone on their toes!!

Thanks for all the positives for us renters/transfers on both sides as i have done it both ways. in today's world we all have to be cautious and approach things with our eyes open and i think it will be ok, i have never had a problem either way on this board. lets hope the negative stories are far and few between. if we hear about them, lets post to keep everyone on their toes!!
LOL, Shell. Always good to proceed with caution, but did you notice that this thread began about 12 years ago and that the post just prior to yours is nearly 6 years old? :)

Fortunately, the problems here are rare, but they do pop up every now and then. Both sides of a transaction need to do their "due diligence".

Fortunately, the problems here are rare, but they do pop up every now and then. Both sides of a transaction need to do their "due diligence".
could there be a sticky thread where people can post feed back on renters/transferers? It would be nice to give props to those who are responsible honest renters and possibly give a little piece of mind to those on the other end.

I recall my first transaction for a transfer was a little nerve racking, but the member who transferred the points was excellent and very timely with communication and making the transfer

could there be a sticky thread where people can post feed back on renters/transferers? It would be nice to give props to those who are responsible honest renters and possibly give a little piece of mind to those on the other end.

I recall my first transaction for a transfer was a little nerve racking, but the member who transferred the points was excellent and very timely with communication and making the transfer
I don't think the DIS will do that for fear that some people will just tell the world how great an owner they had and they are just using another log in. And vice versa.

And then a non-owner will get scammed and blame the DIS.

I just happened to find this thread and realize it is older but I have transferred points a few times and have had great experiences with the transfer process .The transfer went great both ways .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter