• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sad Story from One Who Trusted without Checking!

I am really sorry that this happpened to you. I rented out points this year for the first time. We had to cancel a trip and I was going to lose those points.
Luckey for me that the person I was renting to knew alot about this because it was my first time. We exchanged copies of our drivers license's before any money changed hands and also at the same time we both signed a contract.
It worked out great for both of us.
Everyone wants to be able to trust each other but it is hard. Going to Disney is such a fun thing you don't want to think you could get screwed.
I hope things work out.

I hope your DL doesn't have a copy of your SSN on it. Some states include that. That's kind of a lot of information to give to a stranger.

I hope your DL doesn't have a copy of your SSN on it. Some states include that. That's kind of a lot of information to give to a stranger.

Really? I am surprised on that but don't doubt you, so much for protecting your security by not carrying for SS card. . anyone know which states?

wow I read the whole post from page one to hear,

I dont think I will rent from any one in NY in fact I want to rent from someone close enough to drive there and get my money back face to face.

I realy do want to rent points and think I will try it next yr.

I want the 2 bedroom and I just cant afford to do that though Disney but buying points make it more in my range. I even like the idea of not having a made come in the room every day.

It just sounded like a good deal all around a true win/win.

This New Yorker prefers to rent to people who understand which homonym to use when writing....

(Just kidding)

I don't know if they still do that, I know that Illinois did it about 15 years ago but I think they stopped. However, there is probably enough info on your DL between you DL number and your birthdate for a person to do a little identity hijacking without your SSN. I would never photocopy my DL to rent out my points. If someone insisted on it, I would politely decline and send them on their way to rent from someone else :).

Ohio had SSNs on our licenses for a while, then we had an option to have them removed but then the license may not be accepted in some situations as identification, and now we are back to NOT having it listed on them.

Crazy world; I don't think I'd want to give a copy of license to private person. A business or financial institution sometimes seems scary enough.

Anyway, glad you rental went smoothly!

Virginia used to have SSNs on their licenses. I think I finally had mine changed to a regular number in 2004 or so.

I know this is several years old, but it has alot of good information for all of us who either have points to rent or want to rent them.

I hope Stacie and Dani have had many magical trips since this unfortunate incidence occurred.

Jenn

I know this is very old but I am new to this. I have heard about it before but just read it again in the new Unofficial Guide to WDW 2010. This has definately made me aware of the possible trepidation. I will move ahead with eyes and ears open.

Thanks for Sharing and have a magical day!

I know this is several years old, but it has alot of good information for all of us who either have points to rent or want to rent them.

I hope Stacie and Dani have had many magical trips since this unfortunate incidence occurred.

Jenn

I know this is very old but I am new to this. I have heard about it before but just read it again in the new Unofficial Guide to WDW 2010. This has definately made me aware of the possible trepidation. I will move ahead with eyes and ears open.

Thanks for Sharing and have a magical day!

The OP recently posted a big, extremely positive, review of a recent trip taken after renting points. :)

For those sitting on the fence and thinking of renting:

I recently went through the process of renting points for the first time.

This thread helped me a lot to make sure I took the right steps to make sure I took as many precautions as possible so that I "the purchaser" did not get - burned.

It really was very valuable, and I followed the steps.

So far so good; we're scheduled to leave in July and I'm confident that there will be no glitches, because we followed the precautions.

At the end of the day, it's really a matter of trust because ultimately the DVC member can cancel the reservation (pretty much) anytime before you check in, and there’s little that you can do about it then.

It's definitely not for the faint of heart - but if you do your homework, I believe it certainly takes much of the drama out of it.

I believe things will go well, and I'm confident - that as a result - I will rent again in the future.

Cheers,
Zebsterama
:hippie:pirate:

I found this thread last night and it, along with the thread about owners being responsible for renters whose credit cards are declined, have given me great pause about renting or transferring points. I am new to Dis and have a low post count and I am also bothered that I would be considered unreliable by many people. We ...(snip)..... that I was considering renting or transferring if we cannot talk our college age children into a trip ........ Now I think I may just let them expire if we or a family member do not use them. Renting and transferring sound like an awful lot of hassle, headache, and heartache. Thank for bumping this thread to where I could find it.

We ....(snip)....... that I was considering renting or transferring if we cannot talk our college age children........ Now I think I may just let them expire if we or a family memberdo not use them. Renting and transferring sound like an awful lot of hassle, headache, and heartache. Thank for bumping this thread to where I could find it.
Yes, it can be a big hassle. If you want less hassle you can contact one of the DIS board sponsors, DVC By Request, at the top of the Rent/Trade board: http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29.

I found this thread last night and it, along with the thread about owners being responsible for renters whose credit cards are declined, have given me great pause about renting or transferring points. I am new to Dis and have a low post count and I am also bothered that I would be considered unreliable by many people. We ...(snip)..... that I was considering renting or transferring if we cannot talk our college age children into a trip ........ Now I think I may just let them expire if we or a family member do not use them. Renting and transferring sound like an awful lot of hassle, headache, and heartache. Thank for bumping this thread to where I could find it.

would you like to adopt me?

Just read this post after clicking the link from the topic on potential renters. A big thanks to all who posted, in fact a big thanks to all who post on all the topics. I am a new poster having just joined the boards. Still thinking about joining DVC and the boards have been a wealth of information. Just got back from a Disneyland vacation with family and these boards have been a huge help in understanding the whole DVC process. GL to all involved and thanks again for everyones input.:yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter