Saratoga Springs help

SweetSerenity

Thank you evenin' star!
My husband and I just became DVC members November, 2018. My precious mother has been through quite a lot lately so, for a gift, I asked her if she would like to go somewhere on our points. She asked me to take her to Disney World.

This will be my first time booking ever as a DVC member. I'm a total rookie. It looks like the best time for us to try to go before the heat of summer settles in too much will be the first week of May. It isn't exactly ideal, but because of my work schedule and competing with others for vacation time, it's the best I can do. There are not a lot of options for booking. Her dream is the Polynesian, though she has told me that it doesn't matter to her so long as we can go. I can only find two nights at the Poly, and there really is nothing else available to fill in the rest of the gap (I'm trying for 5 nights.) With it being less than 5 months out, I don't want to try the waitlist as I need some certainty for planning the other aspects of the trip.

The one thing I can do is book the entire stay at Saratoga Springs in a studio (I can sleep on the couch bed.) This is where I need help. I know very little about the resort. Actually, nothing at all. She has a lot of mobility issues due to multiple surgeries on her back, neck, knees, and feet. She has used an ECV before, but she told me she would really like to try this trip without it. I have neuropathy in my feet and legs myself, but I'm okay to walk so long as we take breaks.

I know she would like to enjoy the pool, likely go to the main lobby, eat at the food court and the Turf and Club Grill. To the best of my understanding, the resort has multiple bus stops. There is no way she could do stairs daily so are there elevators? Also, I think she would like to take the boat over to DS. I just need help trying to navigate this resort as far as location and what to request (I know it's not a guarantee) to make it the most accommodating for her. I want her to enjoy staying here as much as she will enjoy being in the parks.

Any advice would be appreciated. Also, if you have any pictures or wish to tell me why you enjoy this resort, I would love that. Thank you all.

Did you purchase Direct from Disney? Or on the Resale market? If Direct from Disney, then you can use your points to trade into French Quarter, Caribbean Beach or Coronado Springs. I know those aren't ideal, but if you grabbed the 2 days at Poly and made two waitlists for the rest, then, at least it might get you into SOMETHING for the days you need. Of course, if you do this, the Rule of Four applies and you can't do it within the last 4 months of your Use Year. Also, I believe that once you make that reservation and exchange with Disney, you can not then cancel the reservation and pull the points back, and use them for a reservation at a DVC resort.

But I'm not sure why you are having problems. At the current time, Saratoga Springs has Studios available for almost every night. So does Old Key West. There are a smattering of Studios available at Animal Kingdom and various other resorts, and if you would be willing to step up to a 1-Bedroom, then availability at multipe resorts gets even better.

I know none of this is IDEAL, but it will get you there.

@SweetSerenity : If you purchased direct from Disney, call your guide and tell him or her what reservation you want and for when. They will do it for first time, direct-buyers, even if it shows "sold out" for the DVC system. They hold back inventory for maintenance and the like so they should be able to make your first DVC trip a "trip to remember" (or at least a trip that will make you think fondly of purchasing direct from them.)

Did you purchase Direct from Disney? Or on the Resale market? If Direct from Disney, then you can use your points to trade into French Quarter, Caribbean Beach or Coronado Springs. I know those aren't ideal, but if you grabbed the 2 days at Poly and made two waitlists for the rest, then, at least it might get you into SOMETHING for the days you need. Of course, if you do this, the Rule of Four applies and you can't do it within the last 4 months of your Use Year. Also, I believe that once you make that reservation and exchange with Disney, you can not then cancel the reservation and pull the points back, and use them for a reservation at a DVC resort.

But I'm not sure why you are having problems. At the current time, Saratoga Springs has Studios available for almost every night. So does Old Key West. There are a smattering of Studios available at Animal Kingdom and various other resorts, and if you would be willing to step up to a 1-Bedroom, then availability at multipe resorts gets even better.

I know none of this is IDEAL, but it will get you there.

We purchased directly from Disney at Copper Creek. I did not know you could trade in for a moderate resort, which is fine with me. Like I said, I'm new and a bit lost.

I'm not having any issues getting Saratoga Springs. It is fully available during our dates, but it actually is the only resort with full availability. I may could make it work if I wanted one night at AKL, 2 nights at Polynesian Resort, and 2 nights somewhere else, but by the time you add up all those points I will have spent more than the total cost of the full stay at SSR. I cannot afford the points to spend for a 1 bedroom. I would definitely go for AKV if we could, but there was only one night available.

I was just mainly asking for help understanding Saratoga Springs because that is likely where I will book. I know so little about the resort.

@SweetSerenity : If you purchased direct from Disney, call your guide and tell him or her what reservation you want and for when. They will do it for first time, direct-buyers, even if it shows "sold out" for the DVC system. They hold back inventory for maintenance and the like so they should be able to make your first DVC trip a "trip to remember" (or at least a trip that will make you think fondly of purchasing direct from them.)
Really? That is wonderful! I just wanted to make it a special trip for my mom. Thank you for the information.

Really? That is wonderful! I just wanted to make it a special trip for my mom. Thank you for the information.

Yup! I think the Poly has the sofa bed and the pull down bed option (with a real mattress) in addition to the queen bed/mattress so if you are short (5'5" and under) the pull down murphy bed (I think it's regularly a table) might work for you.

We purchased directly from Disney at Copper Creek. I did not know you could trade in for a moderate resort, which is fine with me. Like I said, I'm new and a bit lost.

I'm not having any issues getting Saratoga Springs. It is fully available during our dates, but it actually is the only resort with full availability. I may could make it work if I wanted one night at AKL, 2 nights at Polynesian Resort, and 2 nights somewhere else, but by the time you add up all those points I will have spent more than the total cost of the full stay at SSR. I cannot afford the points to spend for a 1 bedroom. I would definitely go for AKV if we could, but there was only one night available.

I was just mainly asking for help understanding Saratoga Springs because that is likely where I will book. I know so little about the resort.

Can't tell you much about Saratoga Springs, I've never stayed there, though I have driven around and walked the property. I would stay there if that was all that was available, and I wouldn't feel bad about it at all. ANY Disney Vacation is worthwhile. Period. Except that it sounds like you might have 5 people, and I think SSR is only supposed to have 4 people in their Studios. But then, so are the hotel rooms at French Quarter, etc.

You can only use your points for reservations at the Moderate resorts (the Disney Collection) if you bought Direct from Disney. It is one of the 'Perks' that Disney restricts from resale purchasers. There are various rules, perhaps the most important being the 'Rule of Four' which essentially says that you cannot make this 'exchange' (and Disney does consider it an exchange of DVC Points into Reservation Points) if you are more than 4 months from the end of your Use Year. Once you have done this, then the 'Reservation Points' go back into your account as Reservation Points, and cannot be used for DVC. They can only then be used for a different reservation at a Moderate Resort, or (maybe?) a Disney Cruise.

Exchanging your points in this way is not generally considered to be a good use of points. At a Moderate Resort the exchange rate isn't too bad, but for Cruises is it horrible, and I also one time used points to book a Hotel Room at Grand Californian. I love love love Grand Californian, but the point exchange rate was not good. The only reason I did that was because I really wanted to travel with my Family in mid-November, on relatively short notice. (The Rule of Four DOES NOT apply to Disneyland Hotels. I don't know why. So you can stay at Grand Californian, Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier Hotel on points, if you have points to burn.) Nowadays, if I was to do it again, I would probably just Rent out my points through one of the point brokers and use the cash to pay for the room.

Which brings up another thing you can do: Contact Davids Vacation Rentals or one of the other point brokers and rent out your points for $13 or $14 each, and then take the cash and use it to stay in a Disney hotel, even a Value Resort, if you want. It actually is quite easy to do. And cash is more flexible, if you are talking about Hotels rather than DVC Villas.

I realize that you probably won't do any of these things, but I wanted to explain some of the possibilities, so you can understand your DVC better.

Hi! Welcome Home! I do not think I would take my mom on a split stay as you both take your first DVC trip. Yes, all buildings in SSR have an elevator. There are five bus stops. There are preferred buildings, Congress Park and The Springs, and standard, Carousel, Grandstand and Paddock.

If you want to be closest to the main pool, check in building with the counter service and Turf Club, request The Springs. However, that’s the last bus stop to the parks, and if your mom uses an ECV, sometimes you may have to wait for a bus, because they only accommodate 2 per bus.

Still, I took my aunt last December, she had an ECV, we were in the Springs, and only once in 4 Park days did we have to wait for a second bus. My aunt, my cousins, my sister and I had a lovely SSR stay in an HA two bedroom.

Here’s the SSR lovers thread. There is a lot to read.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/ssr-lovers-and-owners-part-3.3303265/

All of the buildings at SSR have elevators. But if OKW becomes an option, only three buildings there have elevators, so you may need to request a first floor studio for medical needs. At OKW you'd get two real queen beds, no sleeper sofa.

If you want to try for the Polynesian, you could waitlist that entire stay.

SSR is my home dvc. If you want a pool and close to the main pool and main building then it's best to request the preferred area The Springs. This is closest to the main building which has the dining, is close to the boat to disney springs and close to the magical express bus stop. You always have the option of calling bell services and getting a golf cart type vehicle to pick you up as needed. All disney bus stops are at a short walk from the villas.
If you don't have a car and don't want to use the disney buses(there is long waits at park close) you have the option to rent a car, use the Minnie vans, lyft or Uber We rented and went and got our own groceries but that's all up to your own personal views
If you don't have the points an idea would be to contact sites like David's vacation club rentals https://www.dvcrequest.com/ where you can get more points thru DVC members that are selling their extra points. That might give you some more options for different villas .
We just got back from an 8 day trip and my wife needed an ecv. She had no problem with it at all. If your mother has any doubt about standing for long times, such as wait in line for rides or walking long distances, because WDW is very big. SSR is big. 1 trip around the lake at EPCOT is app 1.2 miles. Look at renting from a Disney provider ecv dealer They will deliver it to your resort and it'll be waiting for you. We rented from Apple again and had a new ecv with no issues.
{f you are flying make sure the airline knows about your mother and they will help her.

If you go to SSR. I would request the Grandstand area building 16. It is really close to the paddock pool which is very quiet, has a soda fountain and a bar. The main building, the boat ramp are really close. It is the first bus stop so getting on the bus will be easy. You would be the first to get off when you get back. We stayed there in the fall in a 2 bedroom. It was wonderful. We have stayed in Congress Park and enjoyed the closeness to Disney Springs. It was a hike to get to the main building. We didn’t mind the walk, but some do not. The Turf Club, always had a great meal there.

Last edited:
If you go to SSR. I would request the Paddock area building 16. It is really close to the paddock pool which is very quiet, has a soda fountain and a bar. The main building, the boat ramp are really close. It is the first bus stop so getting on the bus will be easy. You would be the first to get off when you get back. We stayed there in the fall in a 2 bedroom. It was wonderful. We have stayed in Congress Park and enjoyed the closeness to Disney Springs. It was a hike to get to the main building. We didn’t mind the walk, but some do not. The Turf Club, always had a great meal there.

Grandstand is the first bus stop.

If you go to SSR. I would request the Paddock area building 16. It is really close to the paddock pool which is very quiet, has a soda fountain and a bar. The main building, the boat ramp are really close. It is the first bus stop so getting on the bus will be easy. You would be the first to get off when you get back. We stayed there in the fall in a 2 bedroom. It was wonderful. We have stayed in Congress Park and enjoyed the closeness to Disney Springs. It was a hike to get to the main building. We didn’t mind the walk, but some do not. The Turf Club, always had a great meal there.
Have they changed the bus route? Last we stayed it was Grandstand, Carousel, Paddock.

The buildings aren't numbered at SSR, just the villas. So if you request Bldg 16 they will have no idea what you are talking about.

There is a reason why SSR is wide open. The walk alone to the bus stop could be an issue. (That doesnt include the pool and dining area issues). Disney Springs is also excessive walking. Please waitlist the Poly. You can have a good vacation just at that resort. Your back up plan should include OKW because they have buildings dedicated to mobility issues.

We enjoy SSR but it is spread out. Unless you will have a car, I think your mother is going to want an ECV because you just never know if your request will be honored. When we took my mom there was no way that she would have made it to the main buildings let alone around the parks or disney Springs with out it. I would think that you could do a split stay with the 2 nights at Poly and then the remaining 3 at SSR.

Oh please don’t expect that they’ll do this for you. Some guides say this, but they will be extremely limited in their abilities. They can’t magically get rooms for you.

And please encourage your mom to get a scooter no matter where you stay. Even Poly is huge. SSR is giant.

I like the Paddock area at SSR.

Oh please don’t expect that they’ll do this for you. Some guides say this, but they will be extremely limited in their abilities. They can’t magically get rooms for you.

And please encourage your mom to get a scooter no matter where you stay. Even Poly is huge. SSR is giant.

I like the Paddock area at SSR.

They actually have it is a program now - it's more formal than it used to be and I wouldn't hesitate to use that benefit of direct purchase nor discourage the use of it. No, there may be nothing but it is a bonafide part of purchasing now where as in the past it was a beg your guide type of thing. I actually don't know if it even needs to go thru a guide now but it wouldn't hurt to start there.

And Riverside is huge, and Caribbean Beach and Coronado Springs, and I swear Kidani Village is almost a half mile long, INSIDE the building, when you walk from one end of the building to the other. All of these places can be a challenge for people with arthritis or other problems.

My husband and I just became DVC members November, 2018. My precious mother has been through quite a lot lately so, for a gift, I asked her if she would like to go somewhere on our points. She asked me to take her to Disney World.

This will be my first time booking ever as a DVC member. I'm a total rookie. It looks like the best time for us to try to go before the heat of summer settles in too much will be the first week of May. It isn't exactly ideal, but because of my work schedule and competing with others for vacation time, it's the best I can do. There are not a lot of options for booking. Her dream is the Polynesian, though she has told me that it doesn't matter to her so long as we can go. I can only find two nights at the Poly, and there really is nothing else available to fill in the rest of the gap (I'm trying for 5 nights.) With it being less than 5 months out, I don't want to try the waitlist as I need some certainty for planning the other aspects of the trip.

The one thing I can do is book the entire stay at Saratoga Springs in a studio (I can sleep on the couch bed.) This is where I need help. I know very little about the resort. Actually, nothing at all. She has a lot of mobility issues due to multiple surgeries on her back, neck, knees, and feet. She has used an ECV before, but she told me she would really like to try this trip without it. I have neuropathy in my feet and legs myself, but I'm okay to walk so long as we take breaks.

I know she would like to enjoy the pool, likely go to the main lobby, eat at the food court and the Turf and Club Grill. To the best of my understanding, the resort has multiple bus stops. There is no way she could do stairs daily so are there elevators? Also, I think she would like to take the boat over to DS. I just need help trying to navigate this resort as far as location and what to request (I know it's not a guarantee) to make it the most accommodating for her. I want her to enjoy staying here as much as she will enjoy being in the parks.

Any advice would be appreciated. Also, if you have any pictures or wish to tell me why you enjoy this resort, I would love that. Thank you all.

For my precious mother I'd have a very frank discussion about walking and distances at WDW. It's a lot, even within any resort. If it's the difference between comfort and protecting against pain then I'd strongly suggest renting an ECV. Even if it isn't used all the time if there's any discomfort with walking it's going to show up most anywhere onsite. Be comfortable and really enjoy the trip!

I didn't notice if anyone asked if you were looking at the standard rooms or the preferred? It makes a difference on where you'd be and what you could request. And even different areas within the sections vary on the distance to the Carriage House. Most sections have a pool within them except for Carousel. Carousel is in the standard category so if you book preferred then you would guarantee not being in that section.

Definitely call and check about a Welcome Home booking though and see if they can find something at Poly for you or maybe they have another location that sounds interesting. It has to be for a stay within 6 months of your purchase which you probably just fit into.

Also, I'd stick with SSR vs trading out to a moderate. That trade has restrictions etc that aren't worth it IMO unless you just love that moderate and want to stay there.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter