Sensory issues and face masks?? NO DEBATE, suggestions only

Status
Not open for further replies.
I imagine would have to be exceptions to wearing masks for individuals with certain disabilities per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Under the ADA, just like with service animals, the business is not allowed to ask what your medical condition is.
There are health and safety exceptions to the ada. It is possible that wearing a mask could be fall under those exceptions.

Ironically when it comes to the face mask sensory issue, I'm the problem and not my son. He has taken to to face masks like a champ, and will wear on for about an hour.

I can't breath within 30 seconds as I really start to panic. I suspect there are others out there who just aren't able to wear masks.

Plus, wearing a face mask might be ok for shower periods, but people have already died from wearing them too long. Wearing a mask for a brief outing to the doctor or a store is one thing, but wearing one from rope drop to close is a whole different thing. Especially for folks who already have breathing issues.....added onto a situation where on any given day people have heat exhaustion and heat stroke.

I would say too, that if my child's therapist wasn't able to work around a sensory issue, the therapist should provide referral to someone who can. Even as well as my son has done, we don't put demands on him while he wears a mask. To me, it would be like someone asking me to do my taxes while they ran their nails on a chalkboard.

That’s a good point. However will there be those who have been positive and recovered who won’t be at risk or pose a risk ?? I’m no doctor

The virus has mutated enough already that they are considering if having it from one strain is even enough to keep you from getting the new strain or not, or if the vaccine based on the older strain will work against the new one. So I wouldn't count on having had it already as any kind of immunity.

This article seems to think everything will be okay though: https://www.healthline.com/health-news/what-to-know-about-mutation-and-covid-19#The-bottom-line

Face masks are not a magical shield guaranteed to prevent the spread of Covid. There is no scientific evidence that the cloth ones even work. They're recommended on the assumption that they stop large particles from being spread from the mouth to others, but they don't stop smaller particles, and also, the germs spread by people (especially kids) fiddling with their masks, and then touching surfaces that others later touch, is another vector of germs. Plus, many people do not wash their reusable masks every day, which contributes to the level of germs and bacteria on them, which gets spread via people touching their masks and then touching objects (such as at the gift shops...). This is part of the reason why the World Health Organization still recommends against community-wide mask usage.

Covid can be spread with or without masks. Even the CDC acknowledges that and therefore reminds people to not get complacent while their masks are on. Yes, plenty of people would be happy to go to Disney World now. Some want to wear masks there, and some don't.

All more reason not to be going to WDW though, if they require people to wear masks. The requirement would be because the virus is still out there and easy to catch - risk having a kid get it (and pass it on to others weeks later) from all the touching that goes on for hours and hours in the parks?

Ironically when it comes to the face mask sensory issue, I'm the problem and not my son. He has taken to to face masks like a champ, and will wear on for about an hour.

I can't breath within 30 seconds as I really start to panic. I suspect there are others out there who just aren't able to wear masks.

Plus, wearing a face mask might be ok for shower periods, but people have already died from wearing them too long. Wearing a mask for a brief outing to the doctor or a store is one thing, but wearing one from rope drop to close is a whole different thing. Especially for folks who already have breathing issues.....added onto a situation where on any given day people have heat exhaustion and heat stroke.

I would say too, that if my child's therapist wasn't able to work around a sensory issue, the therapist should provide referral to someone who can. Even as well as my son has done, we don't put demands on him while he wears a mask. To me, it would be like someone asking me to do my taxes while they ran their nails on a chalkboard.

Where did you read/hear that people have died from wearing masks too long? I did a Google search and came up with one story where the police jumped the gun and said a car crash was caused by a guy wearing an N95 mask, but they had no proof of it.

Last edited:
I imagine would have to be exceptions to wearing masks for individuals with certain disabilities per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Under the ADA, just like with service animals, the business is not allowed to ask what your medical condition is.
I expect the health and safety exceptions of the ADA to apply and that Disney may very well require the use of masks by all guests. I expect there's also a liability question or two that will come into play.

Keep an eye on what happens when Disney Springs reopens next week. The president of WDW stated that face coverings are required to be worn by cast members and guests at DS. Wearing face masks isn't a Florida or Orange County requirement but rather Disney's own rule for accessing their private property. We'll see shortly if exceptions are made.

I have the same issue. There’s no way my sensory son can handle a mask. I struggle with it plenty myself. We’ve just had to take the extreme option of he goes nowhere in public until it’s safe enough to do so without a mask. He hasn’t been anywhere besides my house and his dads since early March. I have a fall break to Disneyland planned for October, but since DL doesn’t require as much advance planning, we’ve just put that on hold until it’s actually open and we see what requirements there will be. It sucks, but I’m fully prepared to push that trip off another year.

This kind of feels like a dig against my DD's therapist and the situation I related in my first post. If I felt there was no way my DD could adjust to wearing a mask, then I think it would be on me to tell the therapist we wouldn't be able to continue to see her and ask for a referral. But since I'm in a high risk category, it's important for DD to adjust to mask wearing for my protection. Otherwise, she won't be able to go anywhere in public until things get better, and that's not a good option for a teen that needs interaction with more people than just me. I know she can adjust, with the right motivation and incentives. This is the girl that would refuse to wear a certain pair of pants because of a tag she didn't like, even after I removed the tag, but she could put on a scratchy, polyester princess dress and deal with it. She was motivated with the dress, but not with the pants.

Plus, no way would we leave this therapist. We've been with her for 6 years, and she's our Annie Sullivan, our miracle worker. DD knows how important she is and really looks forward to her therapy appointments with her.

I just saw on the news a band of players behind a roped-off area playing their musical instruments without masks. Behind and above them were all the characters waving to the guest as the band played. It looked like all of the Shanghai Disneyland guests were wearing masks,

Another part of the news showed Shanghai Disneyland guests walking down a street all wearing masks along with cast members along the way by the look of their uniforms.

I did see one Shanghai Disneyland mask-wearing guest with her mask below her nose.

Disney Shanghai opened by taking temperatures and NO face masks. Just showed reopening on news.

That's interesting, all of the video from this morning that I saw showed everyone in masks, including young children in strollers.

Last edited:
As for SDL, I also watched a video that showed most people wearing masks, but I did notice several people that weren’t. The city relaxed mask-wearing requirements a few days beforehand, so it may have had something to do with that. I also read a report by a blogger that was linked here on the DIS - he reported that people were frequently removing them, and it doesn’t appear anything was said to them.

These are some great suggestions. I appreciate the time and thoughtfulness you’ve put into your suggestions. Hopefully others will keep them coming as I’m sure they will be beneficial to someone.

Our son is unfortunately non verbal and has a severe Intellectual impairment. When cutting his hair, trimming around the ears can’t be done until he’s sleeping using only scissors so not to wake him with the vibration and noise of clippers. Things like sunglasses, balaclavas and shirts with tight or large collars are a complete no go. He now will no longer wear a helmet of any type, which unfortunately means he can no longer enjoy going for rides on certain recreational vehicles etc. His slowly increasing ASD severity is robbing him of so many things he once enjoyed. My fear is that his annual trips to see Mickey might be next?? Hopefully any requirements to wear face masks will be short term and phased out as the Covid threat dies down.
I am facing a similar issue. We need to cut his fingernails while he sleeps. He has actually flipped out whenever he sees my husband or me wearing face masks. There is absolutely zero chance of him wearing one. His comprehension is not to the point where he could really get it. His spare time is spent watching Disney rides on repeat on YouTube. Disney is the highlight of his life. We already cancelled our next trip because of COVID-19. I know we won’t be going this year, but now it’s a new fear that the requirement to wear masks will prevent us from going beyond then too.

I decided to call Disney’s Disability Services line and straight up ask them about mask requirements. Before I share what I was told, I want to clarify that 1. I know this is a phone CM, and that the information could be faulty, and 2. They told me I was one of many calling with similar questions. If they are answering everyone the way they answered me, and things don’t actually work this way, then I foresee issues at the park for many, which could create problems for a guest who thinks they have done their due diligence beforehand, only to find out they have false information.

I expressed my concern over my disabled child’s ability to wear a mask. I was told that whenever the parks reopen, accommodations WILL be made for those with disabilities of all ages. They emphasized it may read in a press release like it will be required of all guests, but that other more detailed information for those with disabilities would be posted somewhere. The process will be the same as it is now to receive a DAS - going to Guest Services. No more details on what exactly we’d need to do once there or how it works around the parks, as there is no official mask statement yet for parks. I then asked about DS, and was told I would need to go to Guest Services once there to explain the situation, but they didn’t have any more information on that yet, but they expect too soon.

Edited to add: Don’t have a trip planned, but thought it would be useful info for the near future.

I decided to call Disney’s Disability Services line and straight up ask them about mask requirements. Before I share what I was told, I want to clarify that 1. I know this is a phone CM, and that the information could be faulty, and 2. They told me I was one of many calling with similar questions. If they are answering everyone the way they answered me, and things don’t actually work this way, then I foresee issues at the park for many, which could create problems for a guest who thinks they have done their due diligence beforehand, only to find out they have false information.

I expressed my concern over my disabled child’s ability to wear a mask. I was told that whenever the parks reopen, accommodations WILL be made for those with disabilities of all ages. They emphasized it may read in a press release like it will be required of all guests, but that other more detailed information for those with disabilities would be posted somewhere. The process will be the same as it is now to receive a DAS - going to Guest Services. No more details on what exactly we’d need to do once there or how it works around the parks, as there is no official mask statement yet for parks. I then asked about DS, and was told I would need to go to Guest Services once there to explain the situation, but they didn’t have any more information on that yet, but they expect too soon.

Edited to add: Don’t have a trip planned, but thought it would be useful info for the near future.

I am glad that it sounds like according to this if what the phone cast member told you turns out to be true Disney is willing to accomatate those with sensory and other issues that make wearing a mask impossible. My concern would be more other guests unless it is worded as Masks are recommended and strongly encouraged but are not a requirement to visit park name. If not it could come down to a situation similar to those who themselves or who have children who can walk for short distances but who get tired out and will use a stroller as a wheel chair, wheel chair, or if an adult even an ECV and parking it either for a single attraction or for an entire land depending on how the individual is doing that particular day.
I think everyone of here know that the judgmental statements come out in that situation. "Your just trying to cut the lines", "Your faking it." "Why don't you make your child walk or carry your child like everyone else" nevermind that a 38 pound toddler who has severe low muscle tone and is falling down when exhausted or in tempature extremes is equivelent to carrying a 72 pound older grade schooler and no one would even suggest you carry a child that big short of an emergency situation and only to the point that other means of transport can be used. I.E. Your hiking and that 72 pound child severely spains an ankle to the point where it is impossible even after wrapping with the ace bandage from your first aid kit so depending on the strength and abilities of others in the group that child is either piggy backed out and any items carried by the child and the carrier are distributed among the others in the group or a two person seated carry is utilized and just the child's itesm being carried are divided out according to weight. Both of these are done only to get to a point of either shelter or to a trailhead depending on distance, weather conditons, and the ability to obtain more advanced transport be it walk out using a litter, flown out via a helicopter rescue, or a vehicle at the trailhead.
Side note it's really nice when some person tells you this and a law enforcement in uniform that knows you and your child pipes up that even they as a trained professional would not like to carry your child around all day like they are suggested because it is like carrying a dead body. The judgemental people tend to shut up really fast at that point.

Hi, DisneyElite4. Thank you for calling and info.

I decided to call Disney’s Disability Services line and straight up ask them about mask requirements. Before I share what I was told, I want to clarify that

1. I know this is a phone CM, and that the information could be faulty, and

2. They told me I was one of many calling with similar questions. If they are answering everyone the way they answered me, and things don’t actually work this way, then I foresee issues at the park for many, which could create problems for a guest who thinks they have done their due diligence beforehand, only to find out they have false information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter