Share a WDW moment: It’s a Star Wars Weekend! It's today - BUH-BYE!!!!

I regret that too. It would have been so good to meet up for a bit. We don't have any trips planned at all. I am taking a year out of earning to do my primary teaching course. There is no way that we can afford to go to Disney for a while. Really sad about that but it cant be helped. I have always wanted to teach so it is all worth it. Come August I will be earning again but will take a while to save up.

Our flights last year came to over £1800. Don't know what the exchange is at the moment I think it is about $3000. Not cheap at all!!!! Lots of saving required!!!!

I am really enjoying keeping up with everyones reports at the moment. Its keeping my disney addiction fed and you actually feel like you are getting to know people on here! Hopefully the next time we come I will be able to meet up with some Disers - hopefully Melissa will still be there too!

Really enjoying this pretrippie. Hoping that your girl's friend is able to come. How exciting for her to bring a friend.

After I posted and asked about another trip, I remembered that you were going back to school. Hope it is going well!!!

Vickie, love those luggage tags. :cool1:

You sure do love cliffhangers.

Ok, I read through your PTR today and I need more.....next chapter please!

Hey, wildcatfan -- thanks for the review & subscribing via post -- seems like only yesterday when I had fewer than 100 posts on this board...just start a trip report, and it adds up quickly! :woohoo:

Okay, Melissa -- I'm guilty about the cliffhanging thing, obviously -- do you know I SERIOUSLY don't plan to do it?? I actually just start writing, and then figure out when to stop...and it's just...rather convenient... ;)

Okay. Will do some more in a second...!! :goodvibes

I should have mentioned earlier that prior to Natalie's sleepover with us, I had sent Brenda a Facebook message that outlined what the price of the airline ticket and the park ticket would be: $250 for each, approximately. When I did that, I realized we hadn't discussed the food issue -- I had assumed we would probably pay for Natalie's meals, since we invited her along, but hadn't discussed with DH.

When DH and I put the figures together for the DDP for 4, along with the price of the tickets (for 3) and the airline tickets (for 3), we were...astounded. Now, I know there are people who pay much more for airfare, and then perhaps some who lose out on $ exchange fees, and then pay for park hoppers, and water parks, etc -- so I shouldn't complain. But...we were really not in a great financial situation as in years past, so these expenses were adding up quickly.

I don't have the poor scrap of paper that we furiously wrote upon, scratched our heads over and argued over -- if I did, I'd take a picture of it. :rotfl:

In the end, we decided to put off doing the DDP, and go for the QSDP for the portion of the time we aren't in concierge.

Back to the sleepover... popcorn::

The entire time Natalie was over, I didn't mention WDW, but I wondered if the girls had talked about it. At the very end, when we were taking her home, I finally couldn't stand it anymore, and turned to the girls in the backseat.

"Well, did you girls talk about the WDW trip?" I asked.

"No," they both answered. I couldn't believe it.

"Well," I said, carefully, "Natalie, if you would, talk to your mom and tell her if she has any questions, to let me know. We are really excited for you to come with us!"

"Okay!" she answered, and we dropped her off at her house -- her dad was home, but we didn't see him.

A few days later (maybe it was a day, I really don't know), we were all home and Jordan called out to me -- "Mom, Natalie's mom wants to know how much it's going to be for WDW!" She was on the phone with her friend.

Hmmm. "It's about $250 for airfare and $250 for park tickets," I answered. "Tell her I sent her an email on FB w/all the details!"

"Okay," Jordan answered. No further communication that day.

Later on that weekend, I saw that I had missed a phone call from Brenda on my cell phone. This is it, I thought!
:yay:

I called Brenda back, and she apologized in that she hadn't been checking email lately -- so we discussed the prices.

I assured her that we would take care of the food issue -- so the airfare, tickets for 6 or 7 days (we hadn't decided at that point how many days we were buying, so I told her close to $250), and any spending $$ would be her cost -- that would be around $600. I was poised to buy the airfare by the end of the month, but I told her we would put it on a credit card and she could pay that out. She felt like she could pay us by March, which was fine.

The park tickets, I reassured her, we wouldn't need to buy until we got there, latest. So, no need to come up with that cash, as yet -- we have until June.

"Well then," she answered, "I think we can do it -- Natalie really wants to go!"

Yayness!!! :yay::yay:

As for spending money, I told her that last year, we gave the girls Disney gift cards with a set amount of money, and they kept up with their spending purchases through the receipts. That prevented frivolous spending on our part, and made them really think about the things they wanted. She really liked that idea. When I told her she could get the cards at the Disney store, she thought that was great.

So...! :banana: I told her I was blogging about this trip, but hadn't yet sent her the link for this PTR. We talked a bit more about the girls, church and stuff, and then I told her I would send her information about the flights when I booked them. She said -- "okay!"

Next up: Booking the flights!!

GReat! I am glad she is going! I think it is always fun to have a first timer along. It is fun to watch them explore the first time. We have had family go along the last couple of years that have been first timers. Of course they loved it! Last year we had family go and they had a stoller, even though they loved it they made the comment that they would not return until he was old enough to walk. Well, this year they are planning to return. :lmao: I am telling you it becomes an addiction.:thumbsup2

GReat! I am glad she is going! I think it is always fun to have a first timer along. It is fun to watch them explore the first time. We have had family go along the last couple of years that have been first timers. Of course they loved it! Last year we had family go and they had a stoller, even though they loved it they made the comment that they would not return until he was old enough to walk. Well, this year they are planning to return. :lmao: I am telling you it becomes an addiction.:thumbsup2

You are not kidding! DH was just telling me he thought that using our DVC points for 3 years (banked, current & borrowed) would be okay for doing a Disney cruise, and I asked, "Okay? So, you are saying you only want to go on a WDW vacation once in 3 years??" He quickly realized that one vacation in 3 years probably wouldn't be all that great! :lmao:

I TOTALLY am excited for my DD's friend -- the next time Natalie comes over (other than the DD's birthday party she had this weekend), I want them to go through the parks and fill out the WDW maps -- let Natalie decide what she wanted to ride! :yay: Can't wait!! Of course, the best thing would be if I get the vacation-planning DVD in by that time -- love to watch those!!

How old was the child in the stroller? I remember having an umbrella stroller "just in case", when the child got tired and didn't want to walk anymore ...otherwise, it was a great thing to have to put things in that you didn't want to carry! :rolleyes1

When I first embarked on looking for airline flights, we were thinking that we would leave San Antonio on Saturday, the day after the last day of school. Both girls have half a day of school on Friday.

As I began looking at the times of arrival in Orlando, I realized that the whole Saturday was pretty much gone by the time we arrived in the resort...which only left Sunday to go see the Skinners, and they would have to leave that day, so...??? I had to reevaluate. What if we left on Friday?

If I calculated correctly, leaving after school that day would put us in Orlando, getting to the resort around midnight. Yuck!! :headache: The kids would be in little mood to get up early the next day, and we wouldn't enjoy the first day in the resort at all.

What if...what if we left early on Friday? I called up Brenda to see what she thought about it.

"Oh, she wouldn't mind not going to school the last day, especially if it's for Disney World," she said. "Besides, they don't do anything the last day, anyway." Hmmm!

My DH reiterated, "Let's just go in the morning! Do we have points to spare to get us a room for Friday night?"

I quickly referred to our DVC point website -- yes! We did have enough for a studio somewhere...but where?

We pulled out the big DVC catalog of resorts...well, I argued, we did want to go to Bay Lake Towers...DH wasn't impressed. "Let's try Boardwalk," I compromised. "If we can't do that, what else do you want to try?"

"Beach Club Villas," was his reply.

I called DVC Member Services.
:wizard:

I have to back up a bit. I didn't call Member Services. Perhaps I should have, but I do believe it was "after hours" when we made this decision, and it was too late. Otherwise, my preference would have been to call.

As it was, I was looking on the DVC Member site, and saw where I could put in my request for booking a room, and it gives you Option 1 and Option 2.

So, I put in Option 1: Boardwalk Villas, studio. Option 2: Beach Club Villas, studio.

And we got...........(drum roll)..........

Option TWO, a studio at Beach Club Villas:

bcv2010stud6.jpg

Now, I have heard these have been refurbished. I saw this picture on someone else's thread (hope this is allowed!!!)

DSCN0721.jpg

IMG_1425.jpg

And, I know the girls will love this, the first evening at WDW!!! :cool1:

IMG_7006.jpg

:woohoo::woohoo:

Isn't Beachclub the one with a pool with a pirate ship? I know Jacob would love it. Still don't know if we are coming Friday or Saturday. Jonas doesn't like the idea of changing resorts.

Also planning a few days in July.

So, now you're probably wondering: "Vickie, didn't you just say that you were staying at Kadani, then Jambo at AKV, and now prior to THAT, for just one day, you are staying at Beach Club Villas??"

And the answer is, YES! We move twice in a week -- I have seen that other people do it, and...I'm thinking it'll just be part of the adventure of it all. :) Jonas might not like moving because you guys have to pack all that stuff up and put it in your car, Melissa -- but if you can get them to transport it for you to your next resort, will it matter as much? pirate:

And, the schedule for DHS is opening time is 9am on Saturday, June 5th...can we meet at rope drop, Melissa?? It would be my first!

Back to booking flights. After we determined the firm dates of arrival and departure, I began web-surfing for flights. Don't we all do this, now? Does anyone CALL for a flight anymore? In fact, we have a vested interest in one website, which I label LTC...here's what I got during my hunt:

Airtran website $1,167.20
LTC AA and Delta (split) $971.20
LTC Airtran $1,095.00
Southwest $1,326.40

I liked the price of the one-ways that split our coming and going between airlines, but we just had a bad experience once with doing that (losing luggage), so I was disinclined to try it again. The price for Airtran on our LTC website was the best price of them all, so I jumped on it. However, you may note that the price per person for that flight was still above $270. :sad2:

And THEN!!! When I tried to pick the seats...! They wanted to CHARGE me for the seats. I was like, $%^% ^%@ @#@!!??? What am I paying for, the privilege of standing in the aisle?? Then I figured, if you don't BOOK the seats and wait for them to place you, they don't charge you. But I couldn't believe it. Not just the luggage (which of course, isn't in this price), but charging you for the SEAT?? Oh, and they had different prices for different seats.
:mad::mad:

Ridunkulous.

I got to thinking after I posted that last post -- people are going to think I'm mean and have a nasty temper, and not want to read my thread anymore! :eek:

Well, as most who know me can testify, I am a person usually full of joy for life and carries a smile most of the time. :cutie:

Here's the flight itinerary for the four of us:
Depart San Antonio: 10:52 am (yeah, it's later, but that's okay)
Arrive Orlando: 4:59 pm

We're planning to spend the evening checking out the resort amenities -- the pool and the campfire/smores and movie on the beach! :yay: popcorn::

And, my DD just informed me that she would like to go do something, just her and Natalie...so I told her there was an arcade, and she was good with that. :) Any other things anyone knows about for BCV for teenagers to do?

Thanks!!

Vickie

Glad you got your flights! The girls will enjoy the arcade, Jacob sure does. Any resort we stay at he has to check out the arcade.

Are you set on DHS for Saturday? I know it will be extremely busy on Saturday, how do you feel about Sunday? I think we could handle staying until the Hyperspace Hoopla. I think it is normally at 6 or 7 pm and then we could head out. I'll have to speak to the hubby about it. He is horrible about making plans so far out.

Were you going to get park hoppers?

Glad you got your flights! The girls will enjoy the arcade, Jacob sure does. Any resort we stay at he has to check out the arcade.
Are you set on DHS for Saturday? I know it will be extremely busy on Saturday, how do you feel about Sunday? I think we could handle staying until the Hyperspace Hoopla. I think it is normally at 6 or 7 pm and then we could head out. I'll have to speak to the hubby about it. He is horrible about making plans so far out.
Were you going to get park hoppers?

Believe it or not, we have never checked out any of the arcades! Do they take cash, or KTTWC? It seems like I remember someone talking about getting arcade $$ with a dining plan, but that may have been incorrect news...I don't ever remember seeing that on any official WDW sites.

Well...I thought you would want to go do the whole day at DHS...but see? I don't know how the crowds are, so you tell me!! :) We had NOT planned to get park hoppers; reason being that we tended to mostly stay at whatever park we went to to begin with, and maybe only once a stay have park-hopped. Or twice. But it hardly ever seems to be worth the price, since we don't do it much. So, if you think Sunday is a better day to do DHS, we will do that. I've started a spreadsheet, similar to what you did last year; I need to put all the park times on it instead of what I think I might want to do. If we do DHS on Sunday, what do you think we should do on Saturday? We will have the whole day, but I know you guys will want to spend some time at AKV.

Of course... :rolleyes1 ... I always want to begin with MK on the first day, so maybe that could be what we do? I need to check the times.

I'm kind of envious of the people who have everything already figured out and just list it out on their PTR...! :upsidedow

Well, phooey. Sunday for MK has EMH from 11pm-2am...and I had told Jordan that we would stick those out! :laughing:

So the only way we could make that is if we do have park hoppers...or, the only other time we could do those kind of EMH is on the following Friday, the 11th. The last day...may not be a good idea, though, seeing as we leave the following day. :confused:

I spoke to Jonas about this tonight. He doesn't mind staying until 6 or so on Sunday, may just take that following week off so we would just need to get back in time for Jacob to get to bed. They really won't have any school work. Honestly the only reason they are in school that last week is so they can send home the report cards on the last day. The grades all have to be in the Friday you arrive at WDW. Does this make sense? Tax dollars at their finest.

I say stay late at MK that Friday. You can always go to the resort and take a nap during the day, start packing and then head back in time for the parades and fireworks and then stay for EMH. I think it would make for one last great time before heading home. What time is the flight the next day?

SWW causes DHS to be horribly packed. But we can go Saturday or Sunday, we probably just couldn't get there until later than 9:00am on Saturday. Got to get the dogs to the kennel etc.

The arcades have a machine you put cash, credit card, or KTTW card (if you have charging capability) into and they spit out another card with a point balance. I actually have a couple in my wallet right now. I know because I couldn't find one of my credit cards but kept running into these things.:rotfl:

And MK is Jonas' favorite park.

By the way, I don't think I had mentioned. Another reason we can't spend more time with Vickie and her family and friend is because the following weekend we have to head to NC for my stepdaughters high school graduation. Which is that Friday at 8:30am? I can't believe they are holding graduation on a Friday morning, anyone else's school district do this?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter