Should I participate in FE or is it just drama?

We did it twice. Won't do it again. We decided we would rather put the money we spent on fe gifts toward our souvenir budget. The ROI on participating was too low for us.

We did the FE exchange on our second cruise 4 years ago (before our DS was born). We did it so our daughter could have fun with it - and it more than accomplished that as every time we came back to our cabin there was a surprise waiting for her on our door. She would giggle with delight - no matter what it was - she was 4 years old then and we were so happy we did it.

This time we have our son - so that means extra luggage and less room for FE gifts. We are traveling with 3 other families, so we may just do something in our little group to save space in our suitcases. I guess what I'm saying is if you're going to participate, I would do it for the fun/experience only. It's fun to come back to your room and see a surprise waiting! My DD also loved delivering gifts to other mailboxes. You may receive some cute gifts in return- or you may think someone else's idea of a cute gift is a bit different than yours. lol!!

Have fun!

Loved doing FE through a different social media website. Absolutely zero of the drama that occurs here. You never even have to meet the people if you won't want to.

I honestly think that the FE is overblown. Some of the hangers are ridiculously too big, people complain about theft. This is one activity I wish DCL would ban. The DCL ships are very well decorated and then you have these tacky wall hangings throughout the ship.

Just because you don't like it and some people complain of theft you think it should be banned? LOL The ship is gorgeous and the FE make it fun. Cruise another line or turn your head if my dinky FE holder upsets you that much.

I've done it since it's inception here on the DIS in 2005 and every year since. I will not participate any longer. I strongly dislike the lists stating all the do's and don't, likes and dislikes, rules, rules, rules and more rules. It was never like that. I loved the simplicity. I loved the camaraderie. The FB FE group has so many outspoken people that it truly turns me away. I was never raised to be ungrateful over a gift. It appears to me that some missed that lesson in life. It's sad because they have ruined it for so many like me.

DISboard FE groups carry a lot less drama and expectations.

I will say first off I read your question but none of the other comments.

My DD and I have been on 3 cruises and participated in the FE exchange all 3 times. That being said we won't do it again. It's personal preference but I will say I've used about 25% of the FE gifts I've received. Some gifts have been AMAZING, some good and others just not our style.

Next time I will still hang out our FE but then put things in it for her when she isn't around. It's the excitement for her of finding little treasures and I'd prefer to choose things she will enjoy and/or use.

We've been on 3 cruises and did the FE on the first 2 cruises. The kids certainly enjoyed it when we did it, but after 2 times we felt it was enough because it ends up being a lot of work. You end up getting a lot of stuff that ends up in the trash quite honestly.

I enjoyed watching the concierge explain to a guest in the lounge that it was not a concierge service to deliver FE gifts.

Ha! I guarantee this was one keeping a spreadsheet. People like this take the fun out of extra magic activities like this. I very much wanted to do FE on our cruise but now I'm not sure.

I have organized a Local Candy/Snack Exchange on my last 10 DCL cruises. Once we had only 3 participants, sometimes 32, and I organize into groups from 6-11 in size.

We enjoy the experience, and it's definitely something that adds to our DCL experience.

Bobbi

I have been the coordinator from our last cruise and felt it was a great success. It was incredibly hard work for the one keeping up with everyone's information and answering the same question over and over again, but I also knew that many people were new to FE exchange and had questions. It was all good.

That said, I kept the rules simple, stressed that FE was meant to be fun, not expensive (it's not about the money, after all), and set the limit on how many FE participants would be in a group. All this helped immensely. Speaking for this poster (me), I received very thoughtful gifts and I was thankful for anything I received. Many of the little gifts, I still have today.

FE gift exchange is NOT for everyone. I would say if this is your first cruise and less than 7 nights NOT to get involved. Anything less than than 7 days is crazy (imo). lol I agree with other posters who wanted to do something special for their children and created their own FE gifts for thee and those in their party.

First cruises are to be enjoyed and explored...and not worrying about about the process of purchasing for people they don't know, wrapping and packing it all in a suitcase (especially if you are flying), and then delivering them.

I was part of the FE Facebook group in the very beginning and soon felt it was getting out of hand so I left it. However, I also gleaned some really cool ideas for gifting in the future while I was there.

Don't drop your FE plans, I say give it a try and decide for yourself if you want to do it again. Yes some give less expensive gifts and others go overboard. I say do what is best for you and your budget and have and enjoy! :-)

It's a vacation not an obligation so I say - do what gives you pleasure. I enjoy sewing, so finding the right fabric and coming up with a design for a FE gives me pleasure and something to do/think about while waiting for our cruise time to come around. Walking around with my DD and seeing her having fun dropping off gifts, and her excitement in finding something in her own pocket gives me pleasure. Committing to a FE group and HAVING to come up with X amount of gifts of a certain type to be distributed to specified people does not give me pleasure so I don't join a group. I'm with the folks who just pixie dust away - for me, that is the pleasure and not the stress. My DD always likes what I sneak into our FE for her, and if someone doesn't like what we leave they can pitch it or regift it and I'll never know. And I'm good with that. When DD gets older we might rethink how we do this but for now it works for us.

I thought my daughter might be disappointed if we didn't do it even though our first cruise was a surprise for her. From reading on here and other places, it sounded like EVERYBODY did FE. I decided I couldn't handle doing it for a surprise trip, so I didn't. I was surprised when we were on the ship that I saw VERY FEW FE hangars outside doors. My daughter didn't even notice. I'm so glad I didn't do it. No stress and she had no idea she might be missing something. So, unless you WANT to do it, don't feel like you HAVE to do it.

This, this, this! Before our cruise, I was stressing about whether or not to do FE - and then when I felt like there was too much stress and pressure based on some of the posts, I was stressing that we'd be the only ones on the ship not participating. Boy was I wrong. I saw so few doors with FEs outside! Made me feel better about my decision. Definitely not taking part on our next cruise either. I love sharing gifts, but some of the judgment is ridiculous... and I can't stress about making sure my gifts are good enough - this is vacation. But I don't see any reason for Disney to ban it - people choose to do so on their own accord and have to face the whole risk/reward - and it certainly has the potential to be lots of fun...

I have organized a Local Candy/Snack Exchange on my last 10 DCL cruises. Once we had only 3 participants, sometimes 32, and I organize into groups from 6-11 in size.

We enjoy the experience, and it's definitely something that adds to our DCL experience.

Bobbi

A snack exchange doesn't sound too bad! I wish I could have gotten in on one of those. There is an ornament exchange in our FB group that I was leaning toward, but it's for a whole group. I kinda wish it was just an exchange with person, lol. I need to decide soon though!

Don't do the FE this time, they can be a lot of work, hassle and cost, but DO tip your staff as DCL recommends :daisy:

D'oh! I totally missed this connection until I read this. I wholeheartedly agree. If the OP can't afford to tip their waitstaff, then they can't afford to do a FE group.

ETA: Poster has participated in just 3 threads. All hers/his. Two on their not wanting to pay the standard daily gratuities and a third on the "drama" of FE groups. Me thinks the OP is motivated by drama.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter