• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Shows that have jumped the shark

See I always thought the phrase jump the shark came directly from when Fonzie jumped the shark because it was so ridiculous. I don't think the show was ever the same after that.

You are correct on both counts. The jumping the shark moment is not when a series ends, it's an event or change in the series where the show is never the same again and on a quick or slow decline after that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_shark

See I always thought the phrase jump the shark came directly from when Fonzie jumped the shark because it was so ridiculous. I don't think the show was ever the same after that.

The phrase comes from that incident. But in regards to Happy Days itself, it's a false meme. The decline of Happy Days didn't come in season 5 when Fonzie jumped the shark. It didn't really come until season 8 when Richie left. It didn't fall out of the top 10 until season 7. And it didn't fall out of the top 20 until season 10. So the meme as it pertains to Happy Days is false. Happy days really jumped the shark when Ron Howard (Richie) left the show, not really when Fonzie actually jumped the shark.

But I think Fonzie had an explanation for that. "Bull makes the world go round"

Last edited:

NCIS New Orleans jumped the shark episode 1 in my book.
Same goes for Law and order criminal intent. Trial by jury, LA, true crime, All the rest of the lame Law and Orders that didn't last that long.

The irony of the phrase is Happy Days didn't actually jump the shark when Fonzie jumped the shark (S5e1) It was popular before that episode and remained so after that episode. In fact it lasted several seasons after that episode. Happy Days really jumped the shark when Richie and Ralph both left (season 8)

maybe your right, but I look at jumping the shark is when the show becomes stupid, shows will often get great rating years after it jumped the shark, living on its past. When major character left Happy Days people stopped watching, but it become stupid when Fonzie jumped the shark.

The Walking Dead. I haven’t even started watching the current season yet. It’s just been building up on the DVR.
I watched until a couple of years ago but only with the every more faint hope humanity would exhibit some resilience and start taking it to the zombies. That's what should have happened instead of the inexorable belly-crawl towards total extinction.

I did watch Scandal through to the end, or rather hate-watched it the last 2 seasons. What started out as a fairly compelling premise, complex characters and good, suspenseful story lines devolved into a bunch of one-dimensional villains each more loathsome than the next. By the end I just wanted them all to finish destroying each other and be done with it.

Gotham. I'm not watching this current final season. Then again it was pretty over the shark from Day One.

Law and Order SVU. When Christopher Meloni left the entire show's vibe and formula changed. I still watch it but I do miss the old way of it.

I watched a year or two after he left but then gave up. But I do catch occasional SVU marathons of older episodes on (I think) the USA network. My favorite DA was Diane Neal rather than Stephanie March.

I look at jumping the shark is when the show becomes stupid, shows will often get great rating years after it jumped the shark, living on its past. When major character left Happy Days people stopped watching, but it become stupid when Fonzie jumped the shark.

:thumbsup2 Fonzie jumped the shark. Richie leaving was the show slitting it's own wrists.

Last edited:
I’ve never in my 40 years heard the phrase “jump the shark”. I assume from context it means the point at which something went downhill?

Law and Order SVU. When Christopher Meloni left the entire show's vibe and formula changed. I still watch it but I do miss the old way of it.

I loved Stabler! But, watching some old seasons after watching the newer shows and it really shows that he really was a bit mean.

I love the show now but there were a couple of seasons there that it was just not as good. The cast they have now are good.

I watched a year or two after he left but then gave up. But I do catch occasional SVU marathons of older episodes on (I think) the USA network. My favorite DA was Diane Neal rather than Stephanie March.
I had stopped watching it after he left for a while but then decided to watch the subsequent seasons via Netflix until I got caught up.

I loved DA Casey too (Diane Neal).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter