Shulas - never again

I may have been to Shula's more than probably most other signature restaurants.

I cook a lot of steaks at home, so, it's very seldom I just order a regular steak in a restaurant. I'll order Steak Diane, Steak Au Poivre, sometimes a Prime Rib or Porterhouse, maybe a Chateaubriand.

I have never had a mediocre meal at Shula's. The personal service along with the diverse offering and quality of sides makes this one of our faves. Going to the restroom and coming back to a refolded napkin and my chair being pulled out for me is what I've come to expect there.

We will stop there on our way to Il Milino just to get great bar service and an unbelievable Blueberry Martini.

After 3 horrible trips to Le Cellier, and a regrettable trip to Yachtsman, we have discovered Shula's is the steakhouse for us, though, after many years of somehow missing out on Flying Fish, their Double Charred Strip is a contender.

I’m now thinking if I get a wild hair up my butt that I may try Bull and Bear in lieu of either yachtsman or 71. I keep hearing great things about it.

I may have been to Shula's more than probably most other signature restaurants.

I cook a lot of steaks at home, so, it's very seldom I just order a regular steak in a restaurant. I'll order Steak Diane, Steak Au Poivre, sometimes a Prime Rib or Porterhouse, maybe a Chateaubriand.

I have never had a mediocre meal at Shula's. The personal service along with the diverse offering and quality of sides makes this one of our faves. Going to the restroom and coming back to a refolded napkin and my chair being pulled out for me is what I've come to expect there.

We will stop there on our way to Il Milino just to get great bar service and an unbelievable Blueberry Martini.

After 3 horrible trips to Le Cellier, and a regrettable trip to Yachtsman, we have discovered Shula's is the steakhouse for us, though, after many years of somehow missing out on Flying Fish, their Double Charred Strip is a contender.
My one and only trip to the Sheila’s in the dolphin ended up with a party of two sitting in the lobby for an hour past our reservation….

I have never had that problem at STK and have had some really wonderful meals

I stopped going to Le Cellier before COVID; they weren't bad; Disney has just come up with better options....
I would love to hear how they are now.
I stopped going to Yachtsman after Covid. Unless it’s greatly improved, it’s a shell of its former self.

I’m not dissing Shula’s but as steakhouse chains go give me Capital Grille or Ruth Chris any day. However you can do those almost everywhere outside of Orlando. Yachtsman’s is challenged by a number of factors that most steakhouses don’t face. First There are a large number of guests that don’t normally go to a steakhouse. Then you have a number of antsy guests that want to get in and get out so they can get on with their day. And then they have those that are looking for a fine dining experience. I’ve never had a bad experience or steak there. I believe it’s because I express my desire for the experience I am seeking at the start of the meal and have been treated according to my wishes

While I understand everyone has different tastes… To me I would never go to a steakhouse and order a Filet. For the times that I have been forced to order a T bone as recent as last week at Keens the Filet side always has a layer of sea salt to bring out the little flavor that type of steak has. Go to Peter Lugers and you have a choice of one steak and it is not a Filet. If you want a Filet save your time and money and go to a higher end place that serves a non aged steak and cooks it in some type of flavoring. A steak house cooks in a flame type oven so you taste the meat period. This would mostly explain the variation in opinions…. Although you could ask for light or no salt but I would doubt you will like the almost nothing taste.
Capital Grille cooks an awesome filet. I was in Montana for the last few years and the "baseball cut" is fabulous.

Capital Grille doesn't serve prime meat, unless it's one of the couple that are specifically stated on the menu, but they sure charge prime prices. A good quality grill can overcome a lower grade of meat to a certain extent, but if you're eating filet it doesn't really matter much anyway.

Decades ago, felt both YS & LeC worth the price, sadly not for sometime.

Last meal over fall vacation at LeC was dismal, other than the soup.

Steak decent at steakhouse 71 for lunch :). Dinner a bit over-rated IMO. Not a fan of their brioche nor, most of their steak sauces.

Last meal at YS took hours. server (whom we’ve had before & informed he’s “a real treasure there”) just a bit too full of himself…yet, again.

Even tho convenient when ”home” in that area, we’ve checked out. Just too many other choices, especially considering we usually have a rental car or uber being reasonable.

Feel the atmosphere & quality has declined at The Palm-HRH, starting precovid

We enjoy the seasoning on Charley’s steaks, not so much their seafood.

Feel the atmosphere & quality has declined at The Palm-HRH, starting precovid
The Palm went bankrupt then was sold to Landry. Not surprised the quality went down.

I'm not sure what happened to Shulas. Graham built Miami Lakes. They own a cattle farm. They partnered with Don Shula. Naming rights. I think other locations were franchised. The beef wasn't prime. After Don died Graham removed Shulas branding and changed their restaurants. I don't know if the Grahams have anything to with the chain. I don't know if they still get their beef from Grahams .

The Palm went bankrupt then was sold to Landry. Not surprised the quality went down.

I'm not sure what happened to Shulas. Graham built Miami Lakes. They own a cattle farm. They partnered with Don Shula. Naming rights. I think other locations were franchised. The beef wasn't prime. After Don died Graham removed Shulas branding and changed their restaurants. I don't know if the Grahams have anything to with the chain. I don't know if they still get their beef from Grahams .
I believe the current menu mentions the beef is from Linz Heritage Angus Beef.

We went a couple of years ago and it was OK, but not great. The best steak I have had on property was from Flying Fish. I was surprised, as I had avoided the restaurant for years because I don't eat seafood. Server said they sold more steak than any other dish.
I went there in May and was surprised with how many steaks I saw. I just noticed there are two on the menu now; I only remember the filet being there previously. Everything I had was fantastic.

Sorry to hear about your experience at Shulas. It's always disappointing when a dining experience doesn't meet expectations. On a brighter note, blue plate taco customer service has always been exemplary in my experiences. They consistently make sure that each visit is enjoyable, combining great food with attentive service. It's places like this that restore faith in good restaurant experiences.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter