Since when is this acceptable?

Not meaning to minimize your opinion (or maybe I am, but not vindictively) but I just don't see how towels in the hallway is affecting your experience as another guest. It's a mild eyesore, and I'm not saying it's okay, but seems weird that would be enough to detract from your vacation.

If they were throwing the towels into my ROOM, then I would be mad, but otherwise, if I'm on vacation, little worries like towels on the floor in a shared hallway are not enough to stress about.
You’re right. I’ll admit I let it bother me more than I should have. Though, I don’t think it was the eyesore itself, but what it represented in how some people let their own comforts, desires or laziness affect others.

You’re right. I’ll admit I let it bother me more than I should have. Though, I don’t think it was the eyesore itself, but what it represented in how some people let their own comforts, desires or laziness affect others.
While I get that it's unappealing and depending on the circumstances of an individual hotel room's layout a fire and trip hazard when I'm at a hotel my biggest concern is actually noise from other people in the rooms around me. Sure towels outside the room are something but screaming, yelling, very loud music, very loud tv, slamming of doors, etc are all something to me more indicative of one's concern for how they affect others and that has been a tale as old as time.

While we were on our Disney/Universal trip in May we were at a Hampton Inn for the last part of our trip, it was below all the other Hampton Inn's personally speaking I've stayed at from the guests to the staff but it was a good location for getting to Disney. Anywho we had a wedding in AK to go to and had been up since before 2am for it. We all went back to our respective hotel rooms for a nap before getting back out to the parks. During our nap the cleaning people were playing music and talking extremely loudly during their cleaning of the room across the hallway from us. I let it go for a few minutes after being woken up by it and then opened the door and politely said "I'm sorry I'm trying to sleep would you mind keeping it down please" and they all looked a bit embarrassed and sorta shocked. I get it, most would be out of the hotel at 11am, but we had been out early and came back. Still though the cleaning staff should assume there could be guests for whatever reason. That would stick out at me far more than seeing towels because towels aren't waking me up or keeping me from getting sleep or just being overall a disruption to me while I'm in my room. It doesn't really matter that it was a Hampton Inn because in truth this can happen elsewhere. We've never had a bad experience at Hampton Inns it's not to us something showing "you get what you get" sort of mentality (just touching on what some of the other comments have been in this thread).

Also did you ever tell the hotel of the issue? I don't remember if you mentioned if you did.

Anything below a Hyatt Regency is a mid-level brand and not luxury (obviously, neither is DVC, but you referenced this practice as occurring at "luxury" hotels earlier). Any hotel that you qualify as "fairly nice" also doesn't evoke images of high-end accommodations.
LOL, I guess the VGF towel offender is a low-end "Hyatt Regency" level guest.

I bet even Hyatt Regency wouldn't tolerate that ECV like that.

And the Hyatt Regency would be less noisy than my stay at VGF2.

Last edited:
What are people's thoughts about putting smelly workout shoes in the hallway (to dry? because they stank too much for them to put it inside? ick). I am staying at Home2Suites near Salt Lake City Utah - I did have smelly shoes of my own but the rooms are huge and I was able to tuck it into a corner of the room without any issues. Is this acceptable to put stinky shoes or clothes in the hallway when staying at a hotel?

If there were towels pilling up in the hallway for more than a day or an ECV in the hallway, trash, etc...I would simply call from my room to make the resort aware. If the objects weren't removed within a couple of hours, I would take pictures and take it to the front desk to show it to management. Problem solved. We were staying at Yacht Club last September and the fire alarm went off around 9:30pm. It was one of the loudest ones I ever heard. It made my 12 year old jump out of his pants and my niece, already asleep, spring up screaming and uncontrollably crying. She refused to get up and walk. I had to grab, a pretty tall 8 year old, and carry her down the hallway and down multiple flights of stairs. I am in good shape but have a troubled back. It was one of the most grueling things I had to do. I threw my back out and set out our last 2 days in the park. There were hoards of us carrying children already in pajamas down hallways. I can't imagine carrying her and dodging towels, trays, and ECV's. I wouldn't put my towels outside my door either, but I have put take-out-food trash in bags and room service trays out. I use the resort phone to call and alert them to this. It is 100% the resorts responsibility to keep the hallways clear. I would have no issue taking it to a trash can if told where one was.

LOL, I guess the VGF towel offender is a low-end "Hyatt Regency" level guest.

I bet even Hyatt Regency wouldn't tolerate that ECV like that.

And the Hyatt Regency would be less noisy than my stay at VGF2.
Keep working that Tu Quoque. One day it might work.

What are people's thoughts about putting smelly workout shoes in the hallway (to dry? because they stank too much for them to put it inside? ick). I am staying at Home2Suites near Salt Lake City Utah - I did have smelly shoes of my own but the rooms are huge and I was able to tuck it into a corner of the room without any issues. Is this acceptable to put stinky shoes or clothes in the hallway when staying at a hotel?
If your name is Al Bundy, no.

If there were towels pilling up in the hallway for more than a day or an ECV in the hallway, trash, etc...I would simply call from my room to make the resort aware. If the objects weren't removed within a couple of hours, I would take pictures and take it to the front desk to show it to management. Problem solved. We were staying at Yacht Club last September and the fire alarm went off around 9:30pm. It was one of the loudest ones I ever heard. It made my 12 year old jump out of his pants and my niece, already asleep, spring up screaming and uncontrollably crying. She refused to get up and walk. I had to grab, a pretty tall 8 year old, and carry her down the hallway and down multiple flights of stairs. I am in good shape but have a troubled back. It was one of the most grueling things I had to do. I threw my back out and set out our last 2 days in the park. There were hoards of us carrying children already in pajamas down hallways. I can't imagine carrying her and dodging towels, trays, and ECV's. I wouldn't put my towels outside my door either, but I have put take-out-food trash in bags and room service trays out. I use the resort phone to call and alert them to this. It is 100% the resorts responsibility to keep the hallways clear. I would have no issue taking it to a trash can if told where one was.
I had that happen to me once while attending a conference in Vegas. 15th floor and everything started going off at 3 am. Those alarms are LOUD. You find yourself debating whether it's real or a false alarm thinking about all those stairs, while the hallway fills with hoards of people who have been "enjoying" Vegas all day and half the night...LOL

"Do I really want to head down that stairwell with this crowd?"

I had that happen to me once while attending a conference in Vegas. 15th floor and everything started going off at 3 am. Those alarms are LOUD. You find yourself debating whether it's real or a false alarm thinking about all those stairs, while the hallway fills with hoards of people who have been "enjoying" Vegas all day and half the night...LOL

"Do I really want to head down that stairwell with this crowd?"

"Or would I really just rather die in the fire?" :lmao:

They do not remove towels for the security check. Removal of towels is part of trash and towel day or full cleaning day if eligible.

Security checks may not always be just housekeeping either.

Even if you call and ask for more towels they don’t take the old ones if it’s not trash and towel. No longer a charge for that.

Now, I don’t think it should be suggested to leave in hallway though. And if they do, then it should be suggested to do when during the time housekeeps work to clean rooms.
Thanks for clarifying that for me, @Sandisw. I guess I lumped the "trash and towel" in with the trash removal done by the "security check". That makes sense that the security folks wouldn't have a linen cart that they are hauling around with them to grab towels too.

Whenever I see towels in a pile on carpet like that all I can think of is mildew, especially in Florida. We always hang ours up until they're completely dry. I'd rather see a towel hamper at the end of the hallway than this. Or provide a small basket in the bathrooms. I have definitely seen that at some top tier hotels, for those talking about other luxury brands.

Speaking of hotels, this is one of those things about DVC that's in the gray area of timeshare vs. hotel. There's more personal responsibility implied in staying in a timeshare, IMO. Take care of your stuff because you're the one paying for it.

First off people care less everyday about the other people they share this world with. It is a shame. I wish this was not true but I am afraid it is.
Saying rude and inconsiderate behavior is no big deal only helps ensure the slide down will continue. Just something to think about.

That being said if I see towels, trash etc in the hallway near my room for more than 24 hours I am calling the front desk to have it removed. Heck I will tell them I just tripped over it.
Don’t care. I get things done.
If that doesn’t work maybe I put it in the elevator. See how long it stays there.

Let’s be clear here. I don’t get angry or upset over these things. I will however calmly do my part to help hold up civility and a proper standard in this world we share.
I disagree.

I do agree that rude and inconsiderate behavior is not acceptable, but I can only control myself and my own behavior - accepting or not accepting other people's rude behavior is out of the scope of my problems in life. I'm not going to pretend that I can somehow influence people's/stranger's behavior. So, knowing that, I would choose to just not stress about petty things, like towels on the floor.

To me, trying to change other people's rude behavior is about as effective as telling a smoker "hey, do you know that's bad for you?"

The hallway ECV is also a violation of like three rules, and they're everywhere also. I mean you couldn't fit a double stroller past that, or even certain wheelchairs. I care a lot more about that than some towels.

On my last stay at AKV, I had our ECV parked in our room, and Bell Services told me to park the ECV in the hallway. He even moved it for me to outside the room. Housekeeping told me the same thing when they came by and I parked in the room.

So, I think this 'violation' is not well known by the CM's - or even actively ignored since I had it parked in the room and was told multiple times to move it to the hallway. They said they prefer it that way since guests have trouble getting the ECV's through the door while holding it open (which was the problem they saw me struggling with).

So, if this is indeed against the rules, then someone needs to tell the CM's. There is no way I would know and certainly if I am encourages against it, I am going to listen to them.

On my last stay at AKV, I had our ECV parked in our room, and Bell Services told me to park the ECV in the hallway. He even moved it for me to outside the room. Housekeeping told me the same thing when they came by and I parked in the room.

So, I think this 'violation' is not well known by the CM's - or even actively ignored since I had it parked in the room and was told multiple times to move it to the hallway. They said they prefer it that way since guests have trouble getting the ECV's through the door while holding it open (which was the problem they saw me struggling with).

So, if this is indeed against the rules, then someone needs to tell the CM's. There is no way I would know and certainly if I am encourages against it, I am going to listen to them.
It's a violation of several rules.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/1...dio-with-roll-in-shower.3884221/post-64077956

I was told the exact same thing by Bell Services at BWV, AKV, RIV, and BLT. I'm not refuting that there may be some written policy to the contrary somewhere. But when I'm told something by employees in multiple resorts (and on multiple separate occasions at each) what I should be doing, that's who I'm going to listen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter