• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Slinky Dog Coaster

My favorite part of it was in one of the rooms if you look up you can see the other (prop obviously) cart tracks. I thought that was so cool! During my ride I think I gawked at it instead of looking at what I was supposed to.

That's such a great point.

They take you on a ride so you can "see" the coaster-that you wish you were on.

Back to slinky dog is it bad I'm looking more forward to this that galaxy's edge? Part of me thinks it's because this is more unique to the park and the fact that I'm a bigger Toy Story fan than I am a Star Wars fan. I like Star Wars but I love Toy Story

Not bad at all, I'm sure a large % will feel this way-it does look like it may be unique as you say.

If I had to take a guess as to which WDW coaster Slinky Dog Dash will most resemble in term of thrill level, I'd probably say Primeval Whirl (seems that most people on here have forgotten about that ride). Though I would expect SDD to be a lot more fun than PW (and, hopefully, a lot less painful).

If I had to take a guess as to which WDW coaster Slinky Dog Dash will most resemble in term of thrill level, I'd probably say Primeval Whirl (seems that most people on here have forgotten about that ride). Though I would expect SDD to be a lot more fun than PW (and, hopefully, a lot less painful).

With no lift hill, no spinning circular ride vehicles, and the track layout, I don't think SDD will have much to compared to PW.... probably more like a tuned down cheetah hunt at busch gardens.....

I was kind of hoping since it is a Slinky Dog that they would incorporate some kind of motion between cars imitating a spring action. Kind of like they made mine train a little more interesting by the swinging cars.

I was kind of hoping since it is a Slinky Dog that they would incorporate some kind of motion between cars imitating a spring action. Kind of like they made mine train a little more interesting by the swinging cars.
There were some rumors about that early on in the process but they went away. I don't know if it was a technology issue or simply too expensive. Regardless, I think the swinging barrels were an interesting idea, but I hardly notice them during the ride. Not sure it was worth the effort except as PR.

There were some rumors about that early on in the process but they went away. I don't know if it was a technology issue or simply too expensive. Regardless, I think the swinging barrels were an interesting idea, but I hardly notice them during the ride. Not sure it was worth the effort except as PR.

I don't believe that was ever a legitimate rumor, just armchair Imagineering.

I think a lot of us had similar thoughts - it'd be interesting but seems like a nightmare on basic physics. They'd have to unofficially name the thing "The Whiplash".

Not forgotten so much as it's another mouse coaster similar to Barnstormer (with a higher thrill level). Primeval Whirl also has one of the highest height restrictions at 48" - I wouldn't expect SD to be more than 42" since this is a family coaster (7DMT is 38" and BS is 35") - which I think suggests thrill levels closer to those than PW.

Why is the Barnstormer referred to as a mouse coaster?
The Barnstormer has banked turns and multi-car vehicles, neither of which fits a mouse coaster's standard:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Mouse_roller_coaster
a Wild Mouse roller coaster (also Mad Mouseor Crazy Mouse) is a type of roller coastercharacterised by small cars that seat four people or fewer and ride on top of the track, taking tight, flat turns (without banking) at modest speeds, yet producing high lateral G-forces.

Why is the Barnstormer referred to as a mouse coaster?
The Barnstormer has banked turns and multi-car vehicles, neither of which fits a mouse coaster's standard:
If you use the technical definition, BS is not a mouse coaster. It'd be called a junior coaster. You'll also see SM occasionally referred to as a mouse coaster or mouse-style coaster (even though it doesn't fit the definition either). Best guess is that these all have similar thrills (going back to the OP) - small profiles, small drops and lower speeds than traditional coasters that are spread out, go faster and have big drops. So the terminology gets lazy. Plus it's Disney - we want any excuse to call something a mouse.

Just saw posted on Facebook - pictures of what appears to be a Slinky Dog Coaster car arriving at WDW ... guess that is what the announcement on the 30th will be

View attachment 265307 View attachment 265308 View attachment 265309
So what will the announcement be about? Based on the photos of the cars being delivered and considering the track is done AND they are already putting in decorative elements around it already, are they going to have the coaster operational WAY sooner than "Summer of 2018?"

Seems odd they would be adding the decorations and having cars delivered already if they don't plan on opening it to the public until 8 months from now.

So what will the announcement be about? Based on the photos of the cars being delivered and considering the track is done AND they are already putting in decorative elements around it already, are they going to have the coaster operational WAY sooner than "Summer of 2018?"

Seems odd they would be adding the decorations and having cars delivered already if they don't plan on opening it to the public until 8 months from now.
It won't be open way sooner but it will be open by Summer.

There is still a lot of testing to be done, of that I'm certain. They have to have learned a bit about not rushing things. They certainly can be testing it with a ride vehicle or two, and that would be obvious to the public. So I'm guessing they will announce the tentative opening schedule, to perhaps ease the ruckus that is likely to occur when people perceive it's ahead of schedule(or in reality on time).

It won't be open way sooner but it will be open by Summer.
I'm not expecting it to open soon, but why the announcement I wonder then? Why the mysterious "announcement" boxes that some have gotten?
The big announcement already happened at D23 that the land would open by Summer 2018.

Would it be out of the ordinary if they opened up the coaster before the rest of the land (since DHS is down a ride after GMR closing?). They have to be feeling some sort of pressure having a theme park (that costs the same to get into as the other three) that has four whole rides and a few shows.

Maybe this is just an announcement to hype up the land? But that feels too early too.

Guess just wait til tomorrow, but was curious what people thought the announcement would be about specifically.

I'm not expecting it to open soon, but why the announcement I wonder then? Why the mysterious "announcement" boxes that some have gotten?
The big announcement already happened at D23 that the land would open by Summer 2018.

Would it be out of the ordinary if they opened up the coaster before the rest of the land (since DHS is down a ride after GMR closing?). They have to be feeling some sort of pressure having a theme park (that costs the same to get into as the other three) that has four whole rides and a few shows.

Maybe this is just an announcement to hype up the land? But that feels too early too.

Guess just wait til tomorrow, but was curious what people thought the announcement would be about specifically.
My guess is it is a media preview of these ride vehicles. The land is supposed to open as one not in phases. The coaster isn't any farther ahead than the rest of the land. Sure the track is in place but the load/unload isn't ready yet.

Maybe they could do a run though and show how it goes ... though that would probably make people mad to see it running - but then telling people they can't ride it for 8 more months or whatever

Slinky Dog Dash Coaster Spotted Entering Disney’s Hollywood Studios
http://blogmickey.com/2017/08/photo...r-spotted-entering-disneys-hollywood-studios/
slinky-dog-coaster.jpg

Maybe they could do a run though and show how it goes ... though that would probably make people mad to see it running - but then telling people they can't ride it for 8 more months or whatever
Considering they just arrived today I am not sure they would be running trains on Wednesday already.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter