Snakes at Blizzard Beach!!!!!

nappmandoa

Earning My Ears
Has anyone else encountered this. I was with my family getting onto a tube on one of the lazy river entrances and we saw the life guard go running towards a patch of grass. Then one of the other guards said that they have been having a problem with theses little black water snakes that try to get into the the pools. Sure enough we look up and there is one going up a little hill into the bushes. Now although we were told that this specific kind of snake was not poisonous or prone to striking, that was the end of that waterpark adventure ;) I wonder if anyone else has seen something like this there or at TL before. I hate snakes so I dont think Ill be making any trips back there for a while.

In the past we have had a decent number of posts reporting snakes in the lazy river at TL. Unfortunately they're part of nature and even Disney can't keep them from the fun. I too am totally petrified of the things-- I haven't been back on the lazy river at TL since I read about the common occurence of them in the river.

:eek: Man, I don't know what I would do if I saw a snake in one of Disney's pools or any pool for that matter. But I do know that I would be out of the pool in a flash( and I would be screaming my head off), I do not like snakes at all! And I don't blame you at all for not wanting to back in there after that, I would not go back in there either( for a long time).

I cant say anything about the alligators since Ive never seen them while at the parks. What I have seen though are pictures of one floating along next to I think what was the dock for the boat from WL to MK. That would make me have to think twice about ever renting any water recreational equipment. Not only for my own safety but if there are gators there I would be upset if I hurt one with something, you can call me crazy. I know I am ;)

I think being in the seven seas lagoon with gators wouldn't bother me. They're not really going to go up to any boats. They are more likely to hang out towards the quieter edges of the lagoon.

But snakes in the lazy river at Typhoon lagoon is something I just COULD NOT HANDLE!!!!:earseek:
I have a terrible phobia of snakes. I love the lazy river. I sit in my tube all day and pretty much almost fall asleep. If I saw a snake, there wouldn't be any screaming. I'd just faint. Sad, I know...

So I guess no more snoozing in the lazy river for me!;)

We saw a lifeguard carrying a small snake away on a long stick w/ a hook on the end at BB several years ago. Ironically we saw one at POR the same trip. In 16 trips to the World this was the only time this has happened to us.

Thanks for the post about Snakes!!:earseek: Now I know to put BB on a list of not to do.. I hate snakes. EWWW!!!

Yep. Wife and I were at BB back in 2k and we came across a snake as we were walking onthe path on the west side of the trail next to the lazy river. My wife was snapping pictures and I told her "Take a picture of him" and pointed. We moved to the other side of the trail since it didn't look like too friendly of a snake. A CM was coming the other way and we warned her to get over since it was right there. She looked at it and said "Eeek. We need to call removal right now." Another CM from the Orlando area came by and saw it and agreed. It was one of these...
AAGGGGHHHH!!!

I kid you not. It's Florida and there are Snakes. I'm just glad that sucker didn't get into the water, although I've heard they don't stay in long as the Chlorine irritates them. Would I not get in the water now? Nah... I would think the odds of something like that ever happening again would be highly unlikely. Makes you remember where you are though...:earseek:

We have a screen enclosed swimming pool in the back yard and I find a small black garden snake in the pool at least every other year. I have no idea how they get in. With all the wide open areas Disney pools are in they are bound to get a snake in one every now and then. Most of you have snakes in your yard right now you just don't see them.

We were at BB in March and saw a bunch of lifeguards looking in the bushes as we floated by on the lazy river and my DD saw the snake. I didn't look and could pretend it didn't happen. If I had actually seen it......yuck!!

I was going from the food court back to my room at POFQ just last month when a snake ambled by right on the street. He was crossing the street to get to the bushes. There was one slight problem with this... the bushes he was going for was right in front of my room!!!!

It was late in the afternoon, and this thing was black/dark grey, about 2 ft long and he was just ambling by like it was his place.

I have seen snakes a couple of times on my past trips to WDW but I just keep my distance and thankfully none of them have taken me by surprise - LOL!! You would definitely hear me screaming - that's for sure.

I was sitting on a beach chair in TL on May 31, 2004, when I heard someone shout "Mamam you better get up!" I looked up from my book to see two cm's running towards me chasing after a snake. I was like "OMG", it went right under my chair, so of course I jumped up and stood there for what seemed like a lifetime while they looked for it in the bushes behind my chair. After they had been searching for it for at least fifteen minutes, I guess it didn't phase me that much, because I just wanted to sit down and have them give up looking since the snake had obviously found a great hiding place and wasn't about to come out. I felt like a dork standing there because of course a crowd had gathered to try and figure out what was going on. My husband was off doing some slides at the time and missed the whole crisis. They never did find the snake. :D

my goodness! ACTUAL WILDLIFE at WDW and NOT at Animal Kingdom???

WHAT CAN WE DO???

TIME TO PAVE "THE WORLD"!!! :jester:

Yet another reason not to go to the water parks! I know it's nature and all, but if a snake was in the lazy river next to me I'd jump out of my skin. For DD8, however, it would be the high point of her vacation!

that is BEYOND gross.
We were at the TL lazy river last week and DH fished out a lizard (one of the little guys) and that was pretty nasty IMO...but a SNAKE?

ew ew ew

fish out a black snake from one of the waterslide splashdown pools. It freaked me out a little but we didn't leave. DS love them and it totally freaks me out. I have to share what is now a humerous story but completely unfunny at the time. I was in my bedroom one late afternoon doing a workout. I was on my back with the top of my head facing the door doing butt crunchies when all of a sudden DS 3 at the time shoved this long slimy garden snake 2 inches from my nose and says "LOOK WHAT I GOT MOMMY" K, I torpedoed to the ceiling, had 2 heart attacks and a stroke. I just calmly said "Yes sweety, please take the snake outside." :earseek:

Don't worry....there's snakes in the parks too.

I've seen a pretty large Black snake at the ticket counters to AK and one of these guys in the exit queue to Big Thunder Mountain...people were afraid to walk out until it slithered away..

Cemopho3.jpg

I've also seen gators in the canal between the Epcot Resorts and MGM as well as a good sized one prowling the waters around Tom Sawyer's Island.

They say that nearly every non-pool body of water in Florida has a gator in it. Also, recent storms have pushed all kinds of wildlife around and you have a good chance of seeing things you might not normally see.

That said, I have lived here for 13 months now and I have seen two gators and no snakes.

Keep in mind that I LOOK for them. I grew up wanting to be a herpetologist and I have a degree in Wildlife Management.

Holly is quite happy that we have not encountered any snakes and she knows I'd have it in my hands before long.

The most I have seen in the lazy river at TL or BB was an anole or two. They don't do well in the current with all the big tubes floating by. I try to help them out.

Ted

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter