Someone defend Tough to be a Bug to me

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's too bad that things like that bother you. I feel that it is mostly imagined.

If you read carefully you will see that I wrote "I think it is quite a stretch". I too think it's mostly imagined, and it bothers me not at all. :)

I don't want it to be closed because it scares some people...there are multiple warnings before you go in. You choose to ignore the warnings, OK.

If even one kid feels this way and misses so much other magic, then yep, I think there is something wrong with ITTBAB!

My nephew at age 7 decided he was ready for Rockin' Roller Coaster and he really wasn't. He wouldn't ride anything else all day. So I guess there is something wrong with Rockin' Roller Coaster. Maybe they should close it, or just make it a cute little car ride.

So you are really willing to condemn all attractions that even once child is scared of? Better be ready for the whole park to be shut down!

I don't want it to be closed because it scares some people...there are multiple warnings before you go in. You choose to ignore the warnings, OK.

My nephew at age 7 decided he was ready for Rockin' Roller Coaster and he really wasn't. He wouldn't ride anything else all day. So I guess there is something wrong with Rockin' Roller Coaster. Maybe they should close it, or just make it a cute little car ride.

Please don't misunderstand. I am in no way saying this or any ride in WDW should be closed. The question was "defend ITTBAB" and I said that I could not defend and I chose not to bring my family on it. I wish the other family I mentioned had understood to do the same.

I think the problem is education. Some folks ignore the warnings because they think of Disney and say "it can't be all that bad" but they find out otherwise. You are correct that it's their fault, and hopefully a learning experience.

On our first trip dd was 4. She was scared of EVERYTHING, well everything with any reference to fire (our house had burned a year before) or anything she though MIGHT have a reference to fire--and we had no way of knowing how her little mind might perceive something and apparently ghosts because she couldn't do HM.

We went in ITTBAB expecting to have to leave. She loved it. She laughed and giggled the whole time. And considering that only the day before we had scared her for life (lol) by trying to take her on Haunted Mansion (made through the stretching room and dh had to take her out); I was surprised she got past the being in a dark area BEFORE the show. But, like I said, she loved it.

I like the show because of the animatronics, the effects--including the sting and the spray, and the overall theme of it.

I have never heard a kid cry or even act scared in the attraction. Until I came here, I never realized that there were so many people scared of this attraction. :confused3

I think dark rides/attractions are always going to be questioned. Every kid/family is so different in what their expectations are... what scares one child may be hysterically funny to another.

We usually do ITTBAB once per trip, and that's usually enough for our family. The darkness and special effects have never bothered my girls, although we're not fans of being stung. :) That being said, we just lean forward enough so that it doesn't really affect us. We hold our nose during the stinky part, but the show itself is very well done. We have encountered a few scared kids during our visits, and I feel for those children, but I've learned to tune those out (luckily, my kids have never freaked out).

CM at ITTBAB told me that she's seen teenage girls leave the theater early and in a panic.

I have been on it a bunch of times, and have never heard any kids crying? :confused3 also, I don't feel that the story line is "too adult"

CM at ITTBAB told me that she's seen teenage girls leave the theater early and in a panic.

Unless said teen girl has some kind of extreme phobia, that sounds more like teen girl drama queen actions to me. I just cannot fathom some one of that age being that scared of cartoon bugs. There is nothing about these bugs that look remotely real.

A child, sure, a teen? Really? And believe me, when it comes to creepy crawlies, I scare easy. A rubber snake is scarier than these bugs!

It is true that many persons have an extreme phobia of insects and arachnids, if that is the case what are they doing voluntarily attending an interactive show that features insects and arachnids? did they just not catch going in what the theme of the show is?

It is true that many persons have an extreme phobia of insects and arachnids, if that is the case what are they doing voluntarily attending an interactive show that features insects and arachnids? did they just not catch going in what the theme of the show is?

:thumbsup2 If their phobia is that extreme, I cannot imagine them considering going to the show at all. Its pretty obvious what the show is about. What else would one expect to see besides BUGS?

Like the scary rides when I was a child, it is supposed to be a little scary. And funny. And clever! My kids loved it from the start. And rerides are even more fun, because you are already in on the jokes. My very favorite part is the effect of the bugs leaving the theatre. Pure genius!!!

If you don't like it, don't ride it. Please, please, PLEASE don't let them dumb this down like Alien Encounter.

and I hope running straight to a mental health professional or their guardian! because unless they have a true phobia of bugs (and why would you go then) and honestly think the bugs could hurt them they are to immature to be on their own at a park!

More like they didn't realize how long it would take and were panicking when they realized they were late for their check in time with the chaperon!
only reasonable explanation.

Hannathy said:
and I hope running straight to a mental health professional or their guardian! because unless they have a true phobia of bugs (and why would you go then) and honestly think the bugs could hurt them they are to immature to be on their own at a park!

More like they didn't realize how long it would take and were panicking when they realized they were late for their check in time with the chaperon!
only reasonable explanation.

My 35 year old ex brother in law started crying in the middle of its tough to be a bug. He has an extreme phobia of Bees, and even though I knew they were used in the ride I didn't think the cartoon variety was enough to throw him off the deep end. I was wrong and he didn't know going in that they would be bees in the ride. He also had to leave in the middle of the Drew Carey thing in Hollywood studios because of the bee portion of the ride...which I had forgotten about.

Phobias are irrational fears.

My 35 year old ex brother in law started crying in the middle of its tough to be a bug. He has an extreme phobia of Bees, and even though I knew they were used in the ride I didn't think the cartoon variety was enough to throw him off the deep end. I was wrong and he didn't know going in that they would be bees in the ride. He also had to leave in the middle of the Drew Carey thing in Hollywood studios because of the bee portion of the ride...which I had forgotten about.

Phobias are irrational fears.

They are and I can understand them. I have a phobia of spiders and heights. Now, the cartoon spiders don't bother me but any heights and especially if I am moving on whatever is up high is going to completely freak me out. I know that going in, so my first question if I can't see something is "how high is it?" I wouldn't ride Soarin' until dh, dd and ds rode it to let me know if they thought I could do it. Dh used to think he could tell me "but you are really only X ft. in the air" Doesn't matter, its the perceived height and movement that matter.

If my phobia of any kind of bug was that strong, (like mine is of heights), I cannot imagine thinking I should put myself in that kind of situation.

For my kids this is a must do every trip. Their first trips were at 2.5 and 18mths and neither was scared then. I've never seen any child cry or have to get up and leave during this performance. Once in a while you may hear a random loud squeal, but nothing crazy.
I cannot even begin to imagine how someone would consider this attraction offensive. Even if you had a bug phobia, you would just stay away from it given the nature.

Even if you WERE a BUG you would not find this attraction offensive. It is comical and truly enjoyable! I have seen it at least 10 times and have never heard a wailing child or witnessed a traumatized teen!!!

I think dark rides/attractions are always going to be questioned. Every kid/family is so different in what their expectations are... what scares one child may be hysterically funny to another.

We usually do ITTBAB once per trip, and that's usually enough for our family. The darkness and special effects have never bothered my girls, although we're not fans of being stung. :) That being said, we just lean forward enough so that it doesn't really affect us. We hold our nose during the stinky part, but the show itself is very well done. We have encountered a few scared kids during our visits, and I feel for those children, but I've learned to tune those out (luckily, my kids have never freaked out).

Same here. DDs get the antics and do OK. My wife literally had to hold my Grand Daughters eyes and have her sit in her lap. After the show our comment was we did not even remember it being scary. Keep in mind Granddaughter even got scared of cannon going off and the loud noises in Muppet Show.

My 7-year-old gets scared by a lot (including Mission:Space) but ITTBAB didn't bother him any. suum cuique

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter