Spinoff - Food Quirks

I am curious how people cook onions and they still crunch. Raw onions crunch, but cooked onions are soft and caramelized. I love onions and cook them in many things and the cooked ones don’t crunch.

I hate condiments of any kind on sandwiches. I think it gives sandwiches a slimy texture. For example, I eat burgers that are just meat, cheese, and bun.

I hate melon of all kinds. It always smells and tastes spoiled to me.

I don’t like things the consistency of yogurt or pudding. I will eat both frozen, but not normal serving temperature.

I have a lot of texture aversions. For example, I don’t mind the flavor of apples, but the texture makes me gag. I don’t mind the flavor of bananas, but the texture makes me gag.

There’s a few things I won’t eat but the food issues I have that people tend to find “odd” include:

I won’t eat anything on a stick and get grossed out seeing other people doing it. My son is almost 17 and never eaten a popsicle at our house. No idea why this is but I’ve gotten good at tuning it out

I have to eat my meal in a certain order and finish all of one thing before moving on to the next (bread, vegetable, starch and then meat)

I'd have eaten gruel for every meal to go on any vacation that was free for me.
I'd love to be like that, but I'm far from it. Between dietary restrictions and dietary choices, food is often a tough part of travel for me. Funny, though, actual gruel I could eat! It's not going to have artificial colors, flavors, or sweeteners; it won't be high in actual sugar (which my digestive system does not tolerate well at all); and it's vegetarian if made the traditional way with just some sort of cereal grain and water or milk. :) So, yep, gruel checks all of my dietary boxes, LOL! But something like surf & turf paired with a decadent dessert would be an issue for me! 😄

I won’t eat anything on a stick and get grossed out seeing other people doing it. My son is almost 17 and never eaten a popsicle at our house.
I cringe at the feel, sound, & taste of actually hitting a wooden stick when it comes to a food on a stick, so I avoid them unless I can simply remove the food, and even then I don't love the feel of the fork sliding down the stick, either. (My kids get popsicles, though because we make them with silicone or plastic forms at home, with plastic handles or no handle at all. :) )

I'd love to be like that, but I'm far from it. Between dietary restrictions and dietary choices, food is often a tough part of travel for me. Funny, though, actual gruel I could eat! It's not going to have artificial colors, flavors, or sweeteners; it won't be high in actual sugar (which my digestive system does not tolerate well at all); and it's vegetarian if made the traditional way with just some sort of cereal grain and water or milk. :) So, yep, gruel checks all of my dietary boxes, LOL! But something like surf & turf paired with a decadent dessert would be an issue for me! 😄
Dietary restrictions don’t bother me. I’d have worked with my niece if she had issues with certain things. She just won’t eat anything other than Mac & cheese and bread. Though she will eat plain macaroni and specific pizza

I asked her if she wanted to go to Poland with us and she told me no. Her brother was eager, though. He is an adventurous eater like my DD and I.

Oatmeal. I don't just dislike it; I actually resent it. It's a total fraud. It smells soooo good cooking but tastes horrible. I've fallen into that trap for the last time. :(

I am curious how people cook onions and they still crunch. Raw onions crunch, but cooked onions are soft and caramelized. I love onions and cook them in many things and the cooked ones don’t crunch.

Cooked onions don't crunch like celery or anything, but they still have a little crunch and I don't want to bite into that in a dish that is supposed to have no crunch.

Cooked onions don't crunch like celery or anything, but they still have a little crunch and I don't want to bite into that in a dish that is supposed to have no crunch.
My DH says cooked onions “squeak”. He hates any onions so I typically exclude them from most things that aren’t slow cooked for hours and hours. Occasionally I will purée them in saucy type dishes. He’s fairly annoying to cook for—hates most fruit and vegetables—but his good qualities make up for it.

Oatmeal. I don't just dislike it; I actually resent it. It's a total fraud. It smells soooo good cooking but tastes horrible. I've fallen into that trap for the last time. :(

How do you prepare it? My mom always made oatmeal in a way I have never seen anyone else make it, and it's delicious. We are Puerto Rican, so it has some strange ingredients. However, I am willing to bet you would like it.

Here's how you make one serving:
1/3 cup old fashioned oats
1/3 cup EVAPORATED MILK
1/3 cup water
2/3 cup regular milk
1 tablespoon sugar
Rind only (try to peel it on one piece) of one lime
1 cinnamon stick

Put everything in a saucepan and heat, stirring, until boiling. Turn off heat, lay towel over pan, cover with lid. Wait 10 minutes. Remove lime rind and cinnamon stick and pour into bowl. Sprinkle with extra cinnamon.

It is SO good, and not pasty and gloppy like most traditional preparations of oatmeal. It's more like a soup.

This is such a hilarious post! I cannot believe so many of you all have the same kind of reactions to the mentioned foods, etc. Here's mine:

Corned beef and cabbage-the smell and looks of it makes me gag. It was one of my mom's favorite meals to make. I dreaded coming home from school as a kid when St. Patrick's Day came around. I would open the door to the house and I'd about double over. The smell was in my hair and on my clothes.

Popsicle sticks- I shudder if my teeth touch the stick. I don't like biting into whatever it is and having to think about how to get the food off of it. I don't like the wet and dry combo. I was having a hard time last year eating the Key Lime Pie on a stick at Hollywood Studios. I carefully took off as much as I could and gave the rest to DH.

Paper straws. I don't like them when I get a drink at AK. Sticks to my lips and then gets mushy. Yuck.

Head Cheese-Do you know how that is made? Again, coming home from school, walking in the door to something far worse...an actual pig head on the stove boiling in a pot. Darned thing had whiskers and all.

Chicken on the bone. I don't care for the tendons and veins and all so there is no way I could find this appealing to eat. But, my family likes it and I am ok with it as long as I'm not eating it.

Here's how you make one serving:
1/3 cup old fashioned oats
1/3 cup EVAPORATED MILK
1/3 cup water
2/3 cup regular milk
That is A LOT of liquid for 1/3 cups of oats. It is usually a 2 to 1 ratio and that is 4 to 1.

I like mine on the drier side and to do 1.5 to 1 ratio (3/4 cups liquid to 1/2 cup oats).

That is A LOT of liquid for 1/3 cups of oats. It is usually a 2 to 1 ratio and that is 4 to 1.

I like mine on the drier side and to do 1.5 to 1 ratio (3/4 cups liquid to 1/2 cup oats).

That's why I said it's unlike most oatmeals. The towel absorbs some of the liquid, and it doesn't end up that watery. However, like I said, it's almost like oatmeal soup. It's very comforting and tasty this way, rather than the "stick to your ribs" way most people eat it. You can up the oatmeal to 1/2 cup of you wish, and that isn't much more liquid than what would be recommended by the container (mine says 1.25 cups liquid per 1/2 cup oats). My recipe is 1.3 cups per 1/3 or 1/2 cup oats.

Things I have tried but cannot eat:

Sauerkraut
Blue Cheese
Yogurt (though it depends on brand and flavor, mostly I really hate it).

Things I have not tried and almost certainly never will:

Seafood that still looks like it's original form (fish served whole with head etc).
Frog Legs (because I have a serious fear of frogs and can't imagine them in my body)
Snakes (same as above)
Balut (sp)
Offal
Haggis
Other very odd meat products

Things I can eat but do not enjoy and avoid when possible, though if served them as a guest, I would eat.

Black Olives (I will pick them off pizza, but a stray one doesn't bother if I miss it)
Lima Beans
Black Eyed Peas
Pineapple on pizza. Warm pineapple is just wrong
Canned Peas (love fresh or frozen but canned is gross)
Under cooked/stir fried carrots. I pick around them in dishes. I prefer my carrots raw or cooked to almost mush.
Under cooked or over cooked broccoli. There is a sweet spot.
Cooked tomatoes. I like them raw, as a sauce etc, but am not fond of chunks of cooked tomatoes or tomatoes lightly cooked in a dish.
Cooked green veggies mixed with tomatoes or tomato sauce. Except vegetable soup IF the broth doesn't have too much tomato flavor/sauce etc.

Seafood that still looks like it's original form (fish served whole with head etc).
Frog Legs (because I have a serious fear of frogs and can't imagine them in my body)
Snakes (same as above)
Balut (sp)
Offal
Haggis
Other very odd meat products

Haggis looks like ground beef.

I despise pineapple on pizza but love it on a ham roast especially if cooked on the grill.

Im not sure why people object to black olives cooked in a dish or pizza. They don’t really have that much flavor. Green olives I can understand although I love them.

I'm not sure why people object to black olives cooked in a dish or pizza. They don’t really have that much flavor. Green olives I can understand although I love them.

I love both, but DS doesn't eat the green ones, and DH doesn't eat either kind. - Oh well, more for me!

I do not like sweet and savory mix. :sad2:

No fruit on my salad, raisins in my stuffing, compote on my brie, or pineapple on my pizza.

If a sauce or rub for a protein calls for sugar, I typically half the amount so sweet doesn't over power the meal.

This is me except I am Exceptionally averse to what I call "sweet meat." Honey ham, teriyaki, chicken salad with grapes, BBQ... It's not happening. (I have learned to barely tolerate BBQ when I absolutely have to, but I won't be happy about it. :upsidedow )

But I'm with you on all the other items you mentioned too.

I won’t eat any organ meats, it’s a taste and texture issue. Quinoa, brussels sprouts, and cucumbers all taste bitter to me. Zucchini, eggplant, and cauliflower make me gag. I don’t understand the appeal of truffles, they taste like dirt to me. I don’t like curly lettuce like frisee, it’s the way it feels in my mouth. I hate the taste of all things grass fed including the milk, cheese, and butter from grass fed animals. I don’t eat shellfish, it’s both a taste and texture thing. I like pepperoni in a sandwich but not cooked on pizza. I don’t like hot drinks- coffee (although I love the smell) upsets my stomach, hot tea has a weird aftertaste to me, and hot chocolate is either so hot that it sears the inside of your mouth or cold and tastes nasty. I’m not a fan of fruit or nuts in things, I will eat them by themselves, and I hate cooked fruit.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter