Stop taking away things and begin adding things, for example...

I agree when you stay at a high end hotel you expect all the little extras. Disney it high end(price-wise} when comes to cruises. I really wish they'd change the Castaway gift. It's ridiculous to offer the same gift year after year. The state room gifts suck also. Why do I need unripe fruit when there is plenty of fruit onboard. The Chocolates....blah. Palo menu never changes. Come on Disney if your want to keep customers your going have to do better.

This x 1000!!!!

Following up on the several posts regarding the large shampoo/conditioner dispensers...I "like" the individual bottles of shampoo/conditioner etc BUT why not have them packaged in environmentally friendly containers. Remember the old milk cartons we used to receive in school (unless of course you are too young to have received them :goodvibes ) They were environmentally friendly and still provided a safe, individual product. Surely, Disney could be a fore leader in something like this. It would make them look very good. Also, why do we have to buy bags when shopping in a Disney venue, cannot they provide paper bags? Their recyclable bags are still "plastic" that are not environmentally friendly.

I hope no one will flame me about this post, it is just my thoughts about the topic and may not be the general public's thoughts.

I made this list of "things taken away/increased in price" just since my first DCL cruise in Nov 2017, in an earlier post when the onboard booking credit was first taken away:

• Rainforest passes, single day: doubled in price
  • Liquor tastings: all increased by $3-5 per person at least
  • Palo: $10 price increase
  • Remy: $30 price increase
  • Gratuities: $1.50 per person per night increase
  • No more individual toiletries in rooms
  • No automatic delivery of paper Navigators to rooms
  • Transfers to/from port: $4 increase per person each way (Orlando), more at other ports
  • change to Onboard booking benefits
  • No bag provided when you shop on the ship; instead you "get" to buy a reusable bag made from even more plastic (why not just switch to paper bags... or maybe deliver my stuff directly to my room!)
Someone mentioned the removal of Gold/Platinum reception on cruises less than 7 days.

I'm sure if you go back even further, the list would grow.

I don't see much of a comparable list of things they have added to... except for the price!

You could easily put the navigators and individual plastic bottle changes into the “better for the environment” category. The amount of paper saved across all 4 (and eventually 7) ships in a year will be significant. The app is dynamic and can be easily be adjusted for weather or other unforeseen situations. Apple doesn’t do paper receipts in store, rental car companies, many hotels- DCL is just following industry.

I believe we have debunked the' good for the environment ' line with the actual increase in paper advertising for shopping and DVC. I continue to despise the subpar app. It will always be a paper navigator for me. That said, due to recent price increases and decreased perks, I have probavly booked my last DCL cruise. It remains to be seen if I actually sail on it or cancel before PIF.

Yeah, that's DCL's mantra "we'll only falling in line with what's happening in the industry".

But, in the meantime, they are cutting back on the upscale image (that many of us are willing to accept the higher cost for) all the while increasing the price for a lesser product.

It really, really bugs me when Disney uses the "industry standard" excuse for anything - for example, charging for overnight parking at WDW resorts.

We vacation at Disney Destinations because they offer better product, service, and value than others in the industry - and I think others choose Disney because they are different, too! So the, "We're just doing what everyone else is doing," line doesn't sit well with me.

Following up on the several posts regarding the large shampoo/conditioner dispensers...I "like" the individual bottles of shampoo/conditioner etc BUT why not have them packaged in environmentally friendly containers. Remember the old milk cartons we used to receive in school (unless of course you are too young to have received them :goodvibes ) They were environmentally friendly and still provided a safe, individual product. Surely, Disney could be a fore leader in something like this. It would make them look very good. Also, why do we have to buy bags when shopping in a Disney venue, cannot they provide paper bags? Their recyclable bags are still "plastic" that are not environmentally friendly.

I hope no one will flame me about this post, it is just my thoughts about the topic and may not be the general public's thoughts.

Those milk carton boxes have plastic coating on the inside so they aren’t recyclable.

I love Disney but cringe at how behind the times they are in terms of environmental consciousness and sustainability. I’m very happy to see them making a few minor changes here and there (whatever their motivations).

Yeah, that's DCL's mantra "we'll only falling in line with what's happening in the industry".

But, in the meantime, they are cutting back on the upscale image (that many of us are willing to accept the higher cost for) all the while increasing the price for a lesser product.

People can always vote by taking their money elsewhere.

For me - they are just more convenient. Multi-use containers on the counter seem just too "gym-like" to me. Not a nice hotel. And I'm more confident that no one's messed with them.
California just passed a bill that will ban individual toiletries at all hotels with >50 rooms in the next couple of years. It’s the way of the future! If th large states start others will follow and it will become the new normal.

Most of us wouldn’t deny that moving away from individual toiletries is a good move from the environmental perspective. Same with paper Navigators. But if that was really the motivation, then why are so many paper ads still delivered. Why offer the paper version at all (thousands were printed and handed out to be cut up on our EBTA cruise for an orb making event, that’s not wasteful????) Why does DCL use disposable cups on the pool deck instead of reusable cups? Why use tiny cartons of milk instead of installing a milk dispenser in Cabanas! The reality is, almost all the changes they have made are driven by profit, not the environment.

It really, really bugs me when Disney uses the "industry standard" excuse for anything - for example, charging for overnight parking at WDW resorts....

What!?

I obviously haven’t been there in years. That was a big reason for staying in a WDW resort instead of off-park - to avoid paying parking at the parks (I like driving myself instead of riding the bus).

I made this list of "things taken away/increased in price" just since my first DCL cruise in Nov 2017, in an earlier post when the onboard booking credit was first taken away:

• Rainforest passes, single day: doubled in price
  • Liquor tastings: all increased by $3-5 per person at least
  • Palo: $10 price increase
  • Remy: $30 price increase
  • Gratuities: $1.50 per person per night increase
  • No more individual toiletries in rooms
  • No automatic delivery of paper Navigators to rooms
  • Transfers to/from port: $4 increase per person each way (Orlando), more at other ports
  • change to Onboard booking benefits
  • No bag provided when you shop on the ship; instead you "get" to buy a reusable bag made from even more plastic (why not just switch to paper bags... or maybe deliver my stuff directly to my room!)
Someone mentioned the removal of Gold/Platinum reception on cruises less than 7 days.

I'm sure if you go back even further, the list would grow.

I don't see much of a comparable list of things they have added to... except for the price!

That is a lot in only 2 years. My first cruise with DCL was 2001 - so there are a few additional things that could be added to your list.

As for Remy - I don't count them because they are not owned by Disney. They are a 3rd party that "leases" the space. I found that out on our last cruise. Although I am sure Disney gave them the OK for the huge price increase.

People can always vote by taking their money elsewhere.

That is exactly what people will (or should) start doing to let Disney know. And with 3 new ships coming out - you know they aren't going to lower the prices, you can expect to see prices continue to climb.

DH and I just booked our first cruise outside the line and are trying NCL next year. We are doing a 7 day Western to all the same ports the Fantasy goes to (except it's NCLs private island), leaving the exact same day as the Fantasy for the same itinerary. We are saving 57% on the cost of the cruise for the same "comparable" room. Both inside guaranteed staterooms... $1404 vs $3262. And if I wanted to bump up to a larger stateroom I would get all the free perks (liquor, wifi, specialty dining, shore excursions, etc), a balcony and still paid less than Disney.

At that rate I can cruise twice as much as I do now if I wanted, cruise it "higher" staterooms than I do now, or cruise the same and pocket the savings to plan for something REALLY BIG in the future.

This is something I posted in another link titled "Dcl to get rid of Placeholder Booking Perks "and I think it holds true to some of what is being discuses here. I think Disney is going in the wrong direction in regards to some of its most loyal customers. It is costing them not only on the cruise ships but also in the parks. The prices go up and Disney removed more benefits from its guest. They can't have both and I think it has already cost some high up cast members their jobs.
This is what I posted.

"My wife and I have been on seven Disney cruises in the last six years all on the Fantasy. On at least the last three cruises the ships were not going out full and were a couple hundred people short of a full or sold out cruise. They were selling all room category's almost up till the last minute. The ship was noticeably less crowded.

We were gold at the time and had no problem booking on board activity's. On our last cruise we went as Platinum for our first time. Even though we we able to book activity's before other levels as the cruise grew closer there seamed to be no problem for others having plenty to chose from.

If you look at some of the up coming cruises they are now doing something called a Restricted/Guaranteed rates. They are not Florida resident rates they are available for everyone. Some of the prices are several hundred dollars less than a cabin in the same type "ocean view,veranda".

I think Disney is having trouble filling the boats during certain times of the year. I think they would rather offer deals on certain cruises during certain times of the year than rely on Cast Away Club. They are going the rout of other cruise lines by discounting their cruises as they get closer to sail time. For some who are flexible in how they take cruises they are great deals however if you have to plan out far in advance you will pay full price.

I think it will get even more interesting when the new ships come on line over the next few years. As the new ships come into Port Canaveral they should have no problems filling them up for a while because they are new. Cast Away Club will get first chance at the booking them and they will fill up. It will be interesting to see how they do as time goes on. It will also be interesting to see how the other ships will do with their booking. In the end they may have to start doing the on board booking credits again.

My wife and I LOVE Disney. We came to Disney World on our honeymoon from New Jersey twenty nine years ago. We are Disney Vacation Club members going on twenty three years. We have lived near Disney World for twenty years now and stay several times a year. We have been on eleven Disney cruises with twelve and thirteen scheduled. We have spent a lot of money with Disney over the last twenty nine years.
We are loyal Disney guest however recently with some of the changes we are having doubts about Disney's loyalty to us.

In the end we still love Disney cruises. We go because of the quality and outstanding service we have received in the past. To try to save some money after Disney doing away with the on board credit we will probably look at doing cruises more with some of the last minute deals/Florida resident rates they sometimes offer. "

This was something else I posted in response to a post in the same thread about what else Disney may take away. It has to do with the Cast Away Club. I read a lot of people complaining they can't book activity's on certain ships because there are to many Platinum members on the ships. This would be a good excuse for Disney to re do the Cast Away Club.

For the first time my wife and I are booking a cruise on another cruise line. When we look at there loyalty program we were amazed to see that if we had spent the same number of days at sea with them (77days/11 cruises with Disney) vs Disney what the benefits would have been plus the money saved.

This is what I posted on the other thread.

"I think the next big thing you are going to see is the Cast Away Club re done. They are going to have to create a different way for people to achieve different levels. Maybe even adding new levels.
Instead of number of cruises, they may go to days at sea. Any one who has achieved a certain level will stay at that level and all new levels must meet the new guidelines. I know this may be another benefit they may take away from some people working toward Platinum but I think this is next. I know there have been discussion about this in the past but I think Disney removing the on board credit is just the beginning to see peoples reactions. "

I agree when you stay at a high end hotel you expect all the little extras. Disney it high end(price-wise} when comes to cruises. I really wish they'd change the Castaway gift. It's ridiculous to offer the same gift year after year. The state room gifts suck also. Why do I need unripe fruit when there is plenty of fruit onboard. The Chocolates....blah. Palo menu never changes. Come on Disney if your want to keep customers your going have to do better.

I always order the sparkling wine for our Platinum gift and bring it to dinner to share with the table but I don't think it even tastes good. Last week I almost felt obligated to order it because room service kept calling and asking what we wanted.

I wish they would bring back a nice beach towel for the return cruiser gift. They were so nice when they did that.

MJ

I always order the sparkling wine for our Platinum gift and bring it to dinner to share with the table but I don't think it even tastes good. Last week I almost felt obligated to order it because room service kept calling and asking what we wanted.

I wish they would bring back a nice beach towel for the return cruiser gift. They were so nice when they did that.

View attachment 450457

MJ
Too funny, my husband and I were just talking about this beach towel...we do own 4 of them but are tired of sling back bags, wish they would switch up gifts more often but that’s also being selfish of us, we are lucky to take at least two cruises a year, next cruise going to leave sling back in room, have given most of our friends the bags, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter