Stop taking away things and begin adding things, for example...

I was sad when they got rid of the Castaway Club reception. I realize there are many Platinum people now and to have it only on 8 day or longer , how many cruises are actually 8 day or longer. I enjoyed meeting the officers. I wish they would change the Castaway categories and offer the reception to people who have sailed 20 or more.

I think they should offer better rates to Castaway Club Members. They offer military rates, Florida resident rates, IGT/OGT/VGT rates.....why not an extra special rate to repeat cruisers as a perk. When they need to fill the ship, offering a members only rate to those die hard cruisers will bring back a bit of magic! I’d take a discount over a sling bag or towel any day!

It is just not that the Castaway reception is 8 nights or more, the reception itself has been downgraded. .The Mariners lunch on HAL, which is for ALL returning passengers, even those on their second cruise, far surpasses the Castaway reception

Too funny, my husband and I were just talking about this beach towel...we do own 4 of them but are tired of sling back bags, wish they would switch up gifts more often but that’s also being selfish of us, we are lucky to take at least two cruises a year, next cruise going to leave sling back in room, have given most of our friends the bags, lol.
We are taking our 4th DCL Cruise this summer. With 2 rooms for each cruise, we are also tired of the sling back bags. We are hoping they change the gift by August. The beach towel or the back pack would be great. But rather than just leave the sling back bag in your room, maybe you could hang it on your the fish outside cabin with a note explaining that any first time cruiser (they won't be getting a bag) is welcome to take it as a give? Or if you spot a door with a magnet/sign that says "Our First Cruise" you could leave it on their fish with a little note saying "Here's some Pixie Dust! Enjoy your first DCL cruise!"? That's what I plan to do on our cruise in August. :wizard:

My wife and I have so far only been on two cruises, first was Princess (Grand Princess 15 night cruise to Hawaii) and the second was Disney (Dream 3 night to the Bahamas). The cost for the 3 night was the same as one person for the 15 night. I would do the Princess cruise again, but there was an extreme noticeable difference. The Dream was so much nicer and the service was so much more excellent. Princess had the large bottles in the shower, so that is just a thing in this day and age. Disney has the app which is far better than the paper Navigator. I actually didn't feel as nickle and dimed on Disney as much as on Princess. But I can say that exact same thing about the parks when comparing to Universal or others. So I guess everything depends on points of view. We did get a placeholder in with the room credit for our next Disney cruise line.

That is a lot in only 2 years. My first cruise with DCL was 2001 - so there are a few additional things that could be added to your list.

As for Remy - I don't count them because they are not owned by Disney. They are a 3rd party that "leases" the space. I found that out on our last cruise. Although I am sure Disney gave them the OK for the huge price increase.

I did not know this.

I have only been on a total of one DCL cruise - was able to try Palo at night. It was sort of wasted on me - I am not a "foodie."

That said - I would like to try the Palo brunch - it looks like its more my speed.

The cruise we did was the 8 night Med. I felt like I didn't really "experience" the ship - we did excursions every day - then it was the show\dinner. By the time dinner was finished - it didn't seem like there was that much "to do." Or I was exhausted to do it. :)

I will be targeting the EBTA as my next cruise - where there will be 6 days to do cruise things ;) - then I'd be better able to comment on what's missing ;)

I love Disney cruises. We are gold with 7 under our belt and number 8 booked. But, they are pushing us away. We are taking a 10 day Baltic cruise on Norwegian with 2 adjoining verandah rooms for less than it would cost us for a seven day Disney cruise with similar ports and all of us in one room. Plus, we are getting the drink package and specialty dining included. Also, because we have cruised Norwegian before, they took 10% off the price when we booked. This wasn’t even advertised on the website.

I still want to book a spring 2021 cruise when we go this April. But my husband is done. He thinks our vacation dollar will be better served elsewhere. Taking away the stateroom credit was the final straw for him. If the 10% discount goes as well, I won’t fight with him.

People can always vote by taking their money elsewhere.
Many have. The question I have will Disney realize it before they lose the majority of their potential lifetime customers while chasing the once or twice customer that will pay the higher price and spend more in the shops. They are gambling now on the short term model, will be many years before we see the results of this gamble.

Many once strong companies have been disappearing.

My wife and I have so far only been on two cruises, first was Princess (Grand Princess 15 night cruise to Hawaii) and the second was Disney (Dream 3 night to the Bahamas). The cost for the 3 night was the same as one person for the 15 night. I would do the Princess cruise again, but there was an extreme noticeable difference. The Dream was so much nicer and the service was so much more excellent. Princess had the large bottles in the shower, so that is just a thing in this day and age. Disney has the app which is far better than the paper Navigator. I actually didn't feel as nickle and dimed on Disney as much as on Princess.

I'm going to admit, there's no way I'd ever choose a 3 night DCL cruise over a 15 night on any other line. I agree that DCL's service is top notch, but it's quite something to say you didn't feel nickel and dimed when the cost of your 3 night cruise was the same for one person on a 15 night cruise. DCL doesn't have to nickel and dime you when they already have all of your nickels, dimes, quarters, loonies, toonies (Canadian!), and dollar bills!

I will be targeting the EBTA as my next cruise - where there will be 6 days to do cruise things ;) - then I'd be better able to comment on what's missing ;)

I think you will find, ironically, that even though the EBTA is a slow seller (even hit FL resident discount) and a great value per person per night, DCL doesn't skimp at all on such a long sailing. Many more activities are added that you don't see on shorter cruises. Boat building bash, Coast to coast sleepover (kids), Canvas & Cocktails, even special items turned up at liquor tastings and Palo brunch. Crew Talent night. More shows. Broadway stars.

DCL is just following industry.
^ This and “Due to guest feedback” are Disney’s excuses for any type of change and/or cutback. They are quickly headed towards not being much different than any of the other mass market cruise lines, except with higher prices. They are pricing themselves closer to the lux lines without the upscale and all inclusive experience found on those lines.

Also the repeat guess gift
it seems they don’t even change it anymore
it most be the 3 rd years or more with the sling bag :-(

Ok, so you can still go to guest services and get the Navigator, right? And I admit I did love getting the little bottles of shampoo and such, but I do love not having to pack shampoo, conditioner, body wash ect in my luggage now. Kinda bittersweet. But I really would want a daily paper Navigator.

You can go to guest services for the Navigator. Some sailings it is just setting out at the desk and some you have to wait in line and ask for it. It was much simpler for us to let our stateroom host know and then it was waiting for us every night, just like before.

You can go to guest services for the Navigator. Some sailings it is just setting out at the desk and some you have to wait in line and ask for it. It was much simpler for us to let our stateroom host know and then it was waiting for us every night, just like before.
I can see more additional gratuities being added to my stateroom host's envelope now.

That is nice that your stateroom host did that for you. I think I seen on a You Tube video someone was saying if you didn't get there early in the morning they would be gone.

So you don't get a Navigator at check in?

Oooooo....good question. No experience with that, yet, but I would think the one we've gotten on check in is still handed out.

Can anyone tell us?

We were given a paper navigator at check in on our 9 night Alaskan cruise in July.

Too funny, my husband and I were just talking about this beach towel...we do own 4 of them but are tired of sling back bags, wish they would switch up gifts more often but that’s also being selfish of us, we are lucky to take at least two cruises a year, next cruise going to leave sling back in room, have given most of our friends the bags, lol.

I have a few towels and several sling packbacks...just got another one last week. We also give them away a lot to first time cruisers who cruise with us.

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter