Stroller rules to be enforced

Status
Not open for further replies.
99% confident this is only about the huge specialty strollers like posted earlier.

This has nothing to do with Keenz. Those are well within dimensions.

Push/pull distinction is in what the adult can and cannot see. You can't see how wide you are turning and what you're turning into when pulling a wagon behind (and if you're looking behind at the stroller you're not looking ahead where you're walking), but you can see everything in front of you. It's *not* about semantics.

There are certainly some space issues within the parks and Disney has been working on ways to park strollers safely. Len Testa and Jim Hill even mentioned on their podcast (months ago) that Disney toyed around with removing an entire retail location just to build more stroller parking in DL ahead of SWGE. They also ran a pilot in AK last year to create a system for strollers to be moved within designated areas but know where the stroller would be (colored tags corresponding to different areas). Disney has only shown that it's looked to 1) better accommodate strollers without having them "in the way" and 2) reduce strollers that do not meet an already generous size limitation. Enforcement of existing rules will effect very few people.

Anyway, it's been disappointing to see people, including Len Testa himself, speaking about things they have little knowledge about and conflating facts, opinions, and conjectures.

Welp, I'm a fool. :duck: Fell into my own trap criticizing before knowing the facts.

Our first trip without a stroller was the best trip ever. I’m not sure why parents cling to the stroller so much (not parents of special needs kiddos.) My guess is fear of the unknown. I was hesitant to give it up thinking where was I going to store my stuff? But I realized I didn’t need the kitchen sink. It’s so freeing being strollerless and just carrying a small bag.

I didn’t see any of these Keenz wagons or fancy carriage type strollers last year. I will be interested in the enforcement during my trip this summer.

So much this! I guess we've never been able to relate to the "haul tons of stuff around all day" crowd. DW and I started going to the World when we were single and childless, and once we had our only child we strove to keep things as light as practical. DD is now 6, and we've been free and clear of a stroller for over a year. We actually brought it out of retirement for Moonlight Magic last week, since we were planning to be out past 11pm (and didn't want to hear tired feet complaints) but even then it felt wrong.

That said, to each their own, but I agree everything needs to have limits. And the Keenz wagons seemed to be pushing those limits, from both a security and crowding standpoint. And up until last week, we seemed to keep seeing more and more of them each time we went.

I’m not really sure about the looks of different strollers, but could the ban on wagon strollers also be from a security standpoint? Is it harder for the security guards to check all the compartments of a wagon stroller than a regular stroller?

I’m not really sure about the looks of different strollers, but could the ban on wagon strollers also be from a security standpoint? Is it harder for the security guards to check all the compartments of a wagon stroller than a regular stroller?

I know if it's just the stroller, it can go through the bagless line. So you send one person to be a camel with all the bags and send one person with the stroller to the bagless line. But perhaps the stroller wagon increases the number of bags that need to be searched. I imagine if you have all that cargo space, you bring extra stuff?

Stroller wagons aside, I think people will be disappointed if they think this will be noticeable in the parks. The vast majority of strollers, even doubles, fit into the guidelines.

Yes some people use strollers past when they typically would at home, but at the end of the day there’s just so many people in the parks which means so many strollers.

So much this! I guess we've never been able to relate to the "haul tons of stuff around all day" crowd. DW and I started going to the World when we were single and childless, and once we had our only child we strove to keep things as light as practical. DD is now 6, and we've been free and clear of a stroller for over a year. We actually brought it out of retirement for Moonlight Magic last week, since we were planning to be out past 11pm (and didn't want to hear tired feet complaints) but even then it felt wrong.

That said, to each their own, but I agree everything needs to have limits. And the Keenz wagons seemed to be pushing those limits, from both a security and crowding standpoint. And up until last week, we seemed to keep seeing more and more of them each time we went.

We've always had strollers - usually had at least 2 kids small enough to need one, and when your kids are still in diapers you obviously need a diaper bag with changing pads and stuff

We also always bring stacks to avoid having to pay Disney prices for snack and have multiple bottles of water to stay hydrated (I know you can get them from quick service counters but usually small cups and you have to wait on (often) long lines)

Plus if you buy and souvenirs we have somewhere to put them (we stay off site so can't have it sent back to the resort and we've found the pick up area at the front of the park takes forever at the end of the day

Obviously to each there own and I agree some of the stroller and wagons have gotten very large, but we've always benefited from having *something*

Posted this on the news thread where the update came out since I thought this thread was still locked------

looks like they did reduce the size on the stroller so it wasn't a typo. But the good news is there should still be plenty of ones that are within that size limitation :)

Also I love the picture and wording of stroller wagon. Seemed directly aimed at Keenz

Posted this on the news thread where the update came out since I thought this thread was still locked------

looks like they did reduce the size on the stroller so it wasn't a typo. But the good news is there should still be plenty of ones that are within that size limitation :)

Also I love the picture and wording of stroller wagon. Seemed directly aimed at Keenz
I agree.
I think WDW is taking a practical, reasonable approach to a situation that got out of hand. The stroller-wagons in particular seemed to have forced them to get specific with new rules.

I honestly feel that Disney's actually doing stroller-users a favor with these restrictions. We recently returned from a busy Spring break WDW trip and it was truly painful watching parents try to negotiate these stroller wagons through the busy crowds, especially at rope drop. I saw more than one parent becoming exasperated as they struggled to keep up with the rest of their group while also not running their strollers into the other spring-breakers who were rushing past them. With the tall canopies on these wagons, coupled with the weight of the extra stuff they can hold, they seemed really difficult to maneuver.

It may actually be freeing for some parents to be forced to pare down what they bring to the parks into the "bare necessities", if you will, as it will likely make their touring much easier.

Good. I feel the way about this the way everyone else feels about the smokers. I'm sick of people who don't know how to walk in groups taking up an entire path with their smart-car sized strollers for Timmy and Sally with their Amazon expedition equipment loaded up
Plenty of people take up entire paths even without strollers. I have the same issue on bike paths at home when three people walking take up the entire 10 foot wide path.

I honestly feel that Disney's actually doing stroller-users a favor with these restrictions. We recently returned from a busy Spring break WDW trip and it was truly painful watching parents try to negotiate these stroller wagons through the busy crowds, especially at rope drop. I saw more than one parent becoming exasperated as they struggled to keep up with the rest of their group while also not running their strollers into the other spring-breakers who were rushing past them. With the tall canopies on these wagons, coupled with the weight of the extra stuff they can hold, they seemed really difficult to maneuver.

It may actually be freeing for some parents to be forced to pare down what they bring to the parks into the "bare necessities", if you will, as it will likely make their touring much easier.

I can see that ... I can see parents thinking "wow, having this wagon will be great and much easier than a stroller" in their head, and then reality being much different

And there are still plenty of sizable strollers that fit withing the guidelines, even double wides so it isn't like there aren't options, just a bit more restrictive

We have 5 kids ages 11 to 6 weeks. We specifically bought a stroller for our 2 youngest with Disney in mind. Its the Zoe Best v2 Double. It folds very small, weighs less than most any other double (to make it easy to take on transportation without knocking others out) and is well within the new guidelines. It's an easy 1 hand push and fits through standard doors and aisles and also meets airline requirements for gait check (rare for a double). I saw plenty of rude people at Disney with no regard for others, whether it was discourteous stroller use, cutting in lines, or jumping in front of people at parades and shows. I appreciate the new guidelines and just hope parents know to look into it before they are at the park gates.

We have 5 kids ages 11 to 6 weeks. We specifically bought a stroller for our 2 youngest with Disney in mind. Its the Zoe Best v2 Double. It folds very small, weighs less than most any other double (to make it easy to take on transportation without knocking others out) and is well within the new guidelines. It's an easy 1 hand push and fits through standard doors and aisles and also meets airline requirements for gait check (rare for a double). I saw plenty of rude people at Disney with no regard for others, whether it was discourteous stroller use, cutting in lines, or jumping in front of people at parades and shows. I appreciate the new guidelines and just hope parents know to look into it before they are at the park gates.

There are definitely strollers, including doubles, that still fit within this - so plenty of options for people that want one

definitely are rude people with strollers, but having a stroller is definitely not a requirement to being rude - seen plenty of people with them that act ridiculously rude (including those that would jump infront of our stroller or even push our stroller to the side to try and get through ... I mean, it's wall to wall people, yeah, strollers or not it is going to be crowded

Saw wagons at EPCOT yesterday, will keep an eye out for the heck of it.

You may already be aware, but just in case I wanted to mention the new policy starts May 1.

Yes thanks will keep an eye out.

These wagons will be turned away at the bus stops I assume, be a bummer for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter