Supposedly you know your hairdresser.....

I will freely admit that I am fortunate in that I have a job with good benefits, including sick leave.
But yes - I work, and RIGHT NOW I would absolutely stay home with just a mild cough or sniffles. And I am 100% certain my employer would want me to.
I usually push through - I had a cough that just would not quit for most of Novermber and December and only missed one day of work. But in the midst of a pandemic, YES! STAY HOME! For anything. Even just a cough. Even if you are pretty sure it's allergies.
These aren't normal times, and the decision you would make last spring allergy season isn't what you should make right now.

Ok great. And since I would literally be staying home every day if I missed work every time I had a cough or the sniffles, who's going to pay my rent or bills? I get what you're saying and it's a nice idea, but it's not realistic for most people.

Ok great. And since I would literally be staying home every day if I missed work every time I had a cough or the sniffles, who's going to pay my rent or bills? I get what you're saying and it's a nice idea, but it's not realistic for most people.

And don’t you work at a daycare? That is a business that would really be hurt if you did miss that often. They have to have the correct number of employees for the children there, correct?

Which is why these states are opening too early. At least the Governor of Iowa has the decency to admit that they were opening up to relieve the stress on the unemployment system. Our leaders should be have safety measures in places so people don't have to choose being paying rent/bills and exposing people to the virus.

And don’t you work at a daycare? That is a business that would really be hurt if you did miss that often. They have to have the correct number of employees for the children there, correct?
Yes and yes. That's why I don't stay home. BUT if I really thought I was sick, I'd stay home.

Which is why these states are opening too early. At least the Governor of Iowa has the decency to admit that they were opening up to relieve the stress on the unemployment system. Our leaders should be have safety measures in places so people don't have to choose being paying rent/bills and exposing people to the virus.

What exactly do you suggest? Never ending unemployment? Welfare for everyone? Exactly what?

It's definitely a hard situation - I'm not trying to make light of that. I'm SO frustrated at the people who are screaming to open everything up at any cost, because it makes people like you ineligible for the expanded unemployment benefits that should be available to help you pay your rent or bills for the next few months, at least.

I wasn't talking about the hairdressers - I was talking about the population of this country. We've had over two months where people were supposed to stay away from each other, only going out to get the basic necessities, and only doing so while maintaining proper distancing, masks, etc. Why is it still out there then? Because people "cheat" - I watch my neighbors hanging out together on each others decks. One house has had a constant stream of visitors. That's the insanity. So many are trying to do this the right way, while others don't give a flying fig and keep the virus going. You know why they talked about flattening the curve? It's because, by our own selfish human nature, we can't stay put when we need to, so there was no way to eradicate. And for all the sacrifices some have made, others don't care and complain about this and that.

It is still out there because viruses don't just disappear. That isn't a question of human nature; it is a fact of the nature of viruses. Even in countries where compliance was enforced by military in the streets and the doors of housing complexes were welded shut, where only one person from each household was allowed out on a specified day to get groceries to last for weeks at a time, and where people who tested positive were isolated under guard in government-run facilities, the virus is still there and has reasserted itself as lockdowns are relaxed. New Zealand is really the only place that has successfully managed elimination, so far, and that is as much because of their ability to completely control their borders as anything else. Of course, it remains to be seen if that can be sustained as the country slowly reopens to the international spending that drives so much of their economy.

What exactly do you suggest? Never ending unemployment? Welfare for everyone? Exactly what?

A good stopgap, building on infrastructure that already exists, would be to reimagine unemployment as a sort of short-term COVID insurance policy in addition to its primary function. So people who are put out of work for a week here and two weeks there because of symptoms that may or may not be COVID or because of a confirmed workplace exposure would be able to get benefits just for that time that they're required to be off of work. Eliminate the financial incentive to work sick and fewer people will do it.

I haven't seen anything suggesting she doesn't. Have you? I think employers that attempt to fire people for coming in while unknowingly infected
I haven’t but I would guess she is going to lose clients, at the very least.
She may not have been tested at the point she was working but she was working knowing she had symptoms. I think that could be a terminable offense.

I actually went to the salon today . The other stylist were on the other side so myself and my hairdresser neither wore a mask. I would be willing to bet my life savings neither of us contracted the virus from the other in the 2.5 hours we were together.
That's what you did.

Why did neither of you wear a mask? You were in close contact for over 2 hours.

A good stopgap, building on infrastructure that already exists, would be to reimagine unemployment as a sort of short-term COVID insurance policy in addition to its primary function. So people who are put out of work for a week here and two weeks there because of symptoms that may or may not be COVID or because of a confirmed workplace exposure would be able to get benefits just for that time that they're required to be off of work. Eliminate the financial incentive to work sick and fewer people will do it.

Sounds lovely. Where do we get the funds?

Actually from the time this started, they have done that. People could get unemployment if they were off work due to Covid 19.

It’s not always a financial incentive. People with very light symptoms like “a cough” work because they want to have a job not just get paid for that day. I work on days that some of you are saying people should take off because that is how my job gets done, it has nothing to do with my paycheck. I wouldn’t work with fever or a hacking cough. But more allergies type, yes I probably would.

unemployment would be good for people who show symptoms, test positive, or are exposed to someone with COVID-19.

But in order to stay within Disboard rules, I have to tread carefully in my suggestions as they may be taken as political.
There is no need to worry about board rules. Cares Act covers unemployment benefits for those who test positive, are quarantined due to exposure, or live with someone who tests positives or is quarantined due to exposure.

Here, businesses have a long list of measures and precautions they must enact in order to be allowed to open/remain open. The first is having a written Covid19 response plan and a required protocol is to screen employees for symptoms. Among many other things, it's the law under our provincial Emergency Measures act and any employer failing to do so is closed immediately and may have their business license revoked permanently. My own company, deemed essential, has had 3 random inspections from by-law enforcement officers since mid-March.

There's no way that employer wasn't aware the two workers were sick with something; not for that long and the article specifically mentioned them being symptomatic. That would be an open-and-shut case here - $12,500 fine and permanent business license ban. Here also, since the beginning, enforcement officials have made a habit of highly publicizing violators to make an example; everything from kids kicking soccer balls to lack of hygiene in restaurants.
I don't work with the public ,but I have to fill out a form EACH morning asking questions about (1) any symptoms the are new or worsening , even if they are allergies/ cold, pre-existing condition? (2) Have we returned to Canada from a foreign country, (specifically asks about the USA being a hot spot)?(3)Whether I could have come in close contact with someone who has a probable or confirmed case of COVID-19? (4)Come in close contact with a person that has acute respiratory illness, or has returned from outside Canada for 14 days before getting sick? (5) Had close contact with someone not without wearing PPE that has contact (spouse or housemate that works in a hospital)There are 5 questions, If you answer YES to any of them you can not work or visit the office at this time. We will have 2 weeks PAID sick time to remain at home. This form has to be filled out EACH morning, It is mandated by Work Safe BC, and not doing so can make my employer lose their occupational health and safety insurance and be forced to close. We have been open the whole time, but our doors locked to non employees, many of us worked from home for 3 weeks. I feel safe coming to work because my company enacted may of these and other protocols to keep us safe while being able to stay open. There is currently 1 active case in the Island Health Region, recovering in hospital. Island Health region has not had any new case in 2 weeks now. Dr Bonnie Henry has been given control of handling BC's response to COVID-19, with both the Health Minister and Premier of BC deferring to HER advice and protocols.

I don't work with the public ,but I have to fill out a form EACH morning asking questions about (1) any symptoms the are new or worsening , even if they are allergies/ cold, pre-existing condition? (2) Have we returned to Canada from a foreign country, (specifically asks about the USA being a hot spot)?(3)Whether I could have come in close contact with someone who has a probable or confirmed case of COVID-19? (4)Come in close contact with a person that has acute respiratory illness, or has returned from outside Canada for 14 days before getting sick? (5) Had close contact with someone not without wearing PPE that has contact (spouse or housemate that works in a hospital)There are 5 questions, If you answer YES to any of them you can not work or visit the office at this time. We will have 2 weeks PAID sick time to remain at home. This form has to be filled out EACH morning, It is mandated by Work Safe BC, and not doing so can make my employer lose their occupational health and safety insurance and be forced to close. We have been open the whole time, but our doors locked to non employees, many of us worked from home for 3 weeks. I feel safe coming to work because my company enacted may of these and other protocols to keep us safe while being able to stay open. There is currently 1 active case in the Island Health Region, recovering in hospital. Island Health region has not had any new case in 2 weeks now. Dr Bonnie Henry has been given control of handling BC's response to COVID-19, with both the Health Minister and Premier of BC deferring to HER advice and protocols.
Totally. All of this. Not only are there stringent requirements for employers and workplaces, there is no lack of inspection and enforcement down to the fine details. Our last by-law enforcement spot-check resulted in us having to measure and calculate the square footage of every single enclosed space in our building and post these signs:

That's what you did.

That's what you did.

Because we didn’t feel there was a need to! We were not in close contact with anyone else and we both agreed it was unecesary. Neither of us are obese , elderly , or have any other health problems so our risk are very low.

Because we didn’t feel there was a need to! We were not in close contact with anyone else and we both agreed it was unecesary. Neither of us are obese , elderly , or have any other health problems so our risk are very low.
You do realize that the whole point of masks is not to protect the wearer, but to prevent the spread of the virus, right? It’s for the greater good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter