Supposedly you know your hairdresser.....

They just don't care? Seems pretty clear they were wearing masks... many symptoms look a lot like allergies etc.... heck many ppl don't even have symptoms so let's all calm the heck down; figure out the facts before blindly and running insanely scared screaming for ppl. to be prosecuted and put away acting as if they were giving others a death sentence. Good grief...the mania and how easy it is to panic our human race out of using any kind of logic is really sad...and scary.
I completely agree. The lack of logic is really sad...and scary how so many people are arrogant to think they know better than science.

I think what many are forgetting is a positive test does not equal a death sentence for over 98% of the worlds population. Hospitalization and deaths from this virus are both down and it’s time to get back to life.
But death isn’t the only negative outcome. We have no clue what the long term effects might be. There have been reports of organ damage caused by this virus. One broadway actor had his leg amputated due to effects of the virus. Death is the ultimate price but not the only cost.

Why is it still out there then? Because people "cheat" - I watch my neighbors hanging out together on each others decks. One house has had a constant stream of visitors. That's the insanity. So many are trying to do this the right way, while others don't give a flying fig and keep the virus going. You know why they talked about flattening the curve? It's because, by our own selfish human nature, we can't stay put when we need to, so there was no way to eradicate.

I totally get your frustration here. At the beginning of this whole thing, when I get in my car to go to the grocery store, it was like some eerie, apocolyptic ghost town where I live. Now, not so much. I'm cooped up most of the day telework and go out once or twice a week. At least for a month now, when I go out, I'm suprised at all the people out and about. I even got in a traffic backup last week going to the grocery store. People are just over it, I guess.

But I did want to point out that no one ever thought we could eradicate it or "why it's still out there." That was never the going in game--to stop or eradicate it. It was so far out of the bag before any governments did anything that eradication was not an option.

Yes I work and no I have not gone to work displaying (even mild) symptoms of COVID. I also do not work with the public.

In the past going to work with a mild cold is different than what we are experience right now. Right now and in the future that mild cold could be a potentially deadly disease.

I have horrible allergies. This time of year I'm constantly coughing and sneezing. Should I stay home every day? I'd be homeless in short order.

I have horrible allergies. This time of year I'm constantly coughing and sneezing. Should I stay home every day? I'd be homeless in short order.

This is where it's really going to get tricky. The answer, of course, is no. People aren't going to do that. All you can do, though, is be as careful as you can. It seems this hairdresser was at least masking herself.

My son has year-long allergies. He takes Zyrtec 365 days a year and is always blowing his nose or clearing his throat, if not fully coughing. I will say though that he seems to have a knack for telling the difference between his allergy symptoms and "something different." He thinks it just feels really different when you get a respiratory virus. But many people who get sporadic allergies can only figure it out after a few days. I know that I get allergies mainly only in April and May and when they first start I'm like "oh no, am I coming down with something?" Generally after a day or two I can figure it out.

This is where it's really going to get tricky. The answer, of course, is no. People aren't going to do that. All you can do, though, is be as careful as you can. It seems this hairdresser was at least masking herself.

My son has year-long allergies. He takes Zyrtec 365 days a year and is always blowing his nose or clearing his throat, if not fully coughing. I will say though that he seems to have a knack for telling the difference between his allergy symptoms and "something different." He thinks it just feels really different when you get a respiratory virus. But many people who get sporadic allergies can only figure it out after a few days. I know that I get allergies mainly only in April and May and when they first start I'm like "oh no, am I coming down with something?" Generally after a day or two I can figure it out.

Yes, I can generally tell the difference too. But people around me can't. I'd hate to be vilified for daring to work when I'm not contagious at all.

Last edited:
My opinion - if she had symptoms consistent with COVID she should have stayed home.

Would she still have had a job if she did that? Did she have enough paid leave that she could do that without having to do without groceries this week?

This isn't about personal responsibility at this point. It is about a system that demands people go to work sick and leverages serious consequences if they don't. This is allergy season. Most people wouldn't have a job if they stayed home at the first sign of a cough or sore throat. If we want that to change, if we want to demand everyone stay home for a huge range of symptoms (early signs of the virus include not just fever and cough but sore throat, unexplained rash, fatigue, muscle aches, headache, chills, diarrhea), we need to demand the system change somehow to accommodate that. And we need to be prepared for the fact that this would exclude a lot of people from the workforce on a seasonal or episodic basis because they suffer from allergies or other chronic conditions that can mimic some of the symptoms of COVID19.

Would she still have had a job if she did that? Did she have enough paid leave that she could do that without having to do without groceries this week?

This isn't about personal responsibility at this point. It is about a system that demands people go to work sick and leverages serious consequences if they don't. This is allergy season. Most people wouldn't have a job if they stayed home at the first sign of a cough or sore throat. If we want that to change, if we want to demand everyone stay home for a huge range of symptoms (early signs of the virus include not just fever and cough but sore throat, unexplained rash, fatigue, muscle aches, headache, chills, diarrhea), we need to demand the system change somehow to accommodate that. And we need to be prepared for the fact that this would exclude a lot of people from the workforce on a seasonal or episodic basis because they suffer from allergies or other chronic conditions that can mimic some of the symptoms of COVID19.

I can’t totally agree with this. I think everyone does need some sick days or PTO that they can use. BUT should it be used every time they have a slight cough or the sniffles? When are they going to actually do the job?

My job gives me liberal medical days and personal days. I literally could take off for every sniffle. But, I do have a job to do and if I am not there it doesn’t get done. How do we expect businesses, schools, offices, etc to allow for that?

Do you work? Have you seriously never gone to work when you've had a mild cough, or sniffles, a headache etc.? Come on...ppl. wouldn't get paid or have jobs if they literally stayed home for every little thing. I understand that right now all should be more on alert, but like I said many of the symptoms are the same for allergies etc., so I highly doubt those hair stylists really thought they had covid...add to that the fact that they probably haven't been able to pay their bills or feed their families for a while; I can have some empathy for ppl. trying to do the best they can in a crazy time.

There's going to be a risk anytime ppl venture out of their home...anyone walking around assuming theirs no risk to them going out of theirs is living in denial. Many ppl. show absolutely no symptoms so the risk is always going to be there for now.

Ppl. demanding these hair stylists be prosecuted for intentionally risking ones life seem to not be living in reality.

I will freely admit that I am fortunate in that I have a job with good benefits, including sick leave.
But yes - I work, and RIGHT NOW I would absolutely stay home with just a mild cough or sniffles. And I am 100% certain my employer would want me to.
I usually push through - I had a cough that just would not quit for most of Novermber and December and only missed one day of work. But in the midst of a pandemic, YES! STAY HOME! For anything. Even just a cough. Even if you are pretty sure it's allergies.
These aren't normal times, and the decision you would make last spring allergy season isn't what you should make right now.

I can’t totally agree with this. I think everyone does need some sick days or PTO that they can use. BUT should it be used every time they have a slight cough or the sniffles? When are they going to actually do the job?

My job gives me liberal medical days and personal days. I literally could take off for every sniffle. But, I do have a job to do and if I am not there it doesn’t get done. How do we expect businesses, schools, offices, etc to allow for that?

I think that's going to be the biggest question about reopening. Because we are acting like it is flipping a switch, but it isn't. Businesses are going to have to adjust not only to higher absenteeism, if we really do want anyone who has any symptoms of the virus to stay home until they are tested and get results, but also to sporadic and unpredictable closures for cleaning when an employee does test positive. That uncertainty is going to hamper reopening even if there were no lockdown orders or social distancing rules preventing a return to business as usual.

I will freely admit that I am fortunate in that I have a job with good benefits, including sick leave.
But yes - I work, and RIGHT NOW I would absolutely stay home with just a mild cough or sniffles. And I am 100% certain my employer would want me to.
I usually push through - I had a cough that just would not quit for most of Novermber and December and only missed one day of work. But in the midst of a pandemic, YES! STAY HOME! For anything. Even just a cough. Even if you are pretty sure it's allergies.
Its more important now to do this.
I get that it isn't easy.
But....

A number of the hair clients were put under 14 day stay at home quarantine. (Maybe some jobs pay, also likely many do not.)

The salon had to shut down. That mean well stylists are losing lots of workdays.

And of course the 2 sick stylists are having to do without their jobs while under quarantine.

That's adds up to significant missing cash in many pockets, not just 2.

Does she have a job NOW that she has put the lives of a 100 + people in danger?

I haven't seen anything suggesting she doesn't. Have you? I think employers that attempt to fire people for coming in while unknowingly infected are likely to end up on the receiving end of lawsuits, particularly if it can be shown that the employer pressured the employee over attendance (as many do, often by email or text which leaves a convenient trail).

I haven't seen anything suggesting she doesn't. Have you? I think employers that attempt to fire people for coming in while unknowingly infected are likely to end up on the receiving end of lawsuits, particularly if it can be shown that the employer pressured the employee over attendance (as many do, often by email or text which leaves a convenient trail).

Last edited:
From reading the local media, that salon is a booth rental. It's not a typical boss/employer situation.
Maybe she loses her booth, probably depends on the contract and whether the place reopens. She will likely lose clients. So will the well stylists.

I'm really surprised over that. I never thought that Great Clips had the Booth Rental model for employment.

I'm really surprised over that. I never thought that Great Clips had the Booth Rental model for employment.
I don't live there, I was just repeating what I read. But, just in case the article is wrong, I deleted. I can't find any info beyond that.

I think that's going to be the biggest question about reopening. Because we are acting like it is flipping a switch, but it isn't. Businesses are going to have to adjust not only to higher absenteeism, if we really do want anyone who has any symptoms of the virus to stay home until they are tested and get results, but also to sporadic and unpredictable closures for cleaning when an employee does test positive. That uncertainty is going to hamper reopening even if there were no lockdown orders or social distancing rules preventing a return to business as usual.

I have noticed a few of the smallest places-restaurants, family owned stores—are waiting to reopen. They can’t afford to hire enough people to easily replace anyone out with what may or may not be symptoms of the virus. It will be really sad if these businesses go under as a result.

I think what many are forgetting is a positive test does not equal a death sentence for over 98% of the worlds population. Hospitalization and deaths from this virus are both down and it’s time to get back to life.
Of cases with an outcome, 12.7% have died. Taking all active cases combined with past cases, 6.2% have died.

Not sure where you’re getting 98% but it doesn’t match the data I’m seeing. This is my source if you’d like to verify:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I don't live there, I was just repeating what I read. But, just in case the article is wrong, I deleted. I can't find any info beyond that.

Oh no, sorry. I don't think you needed to delete it. I have no clue. I just never though that Great Clips had that booth rental thing going on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter