Talk me INTO it....

BrianL

Doom Buggy Driver
To pinch the theme of wvjules, I have been wanting to do a trip in early May, but I just can't pull the trigger on it. It looks like it would be solo, and while I have done that in the past, it's been a while and sometimes I know that I will feel weird doing it - not in the others judging me sort of way, but more in judging myself. I might be standing in a line and wondering, "Why am I doing this?" Why do I do everything by myself? Then again, some of my best experiences ever came on solo trips too, and I could actually do a water park as none of my friends ever want to. I'm always the first one to encourage others, but sometimes it's hard to follow one's own advice. I kind of need to get on it if I'm going to, but I just still have some doubt.

I have a friend who refuses to travel alone. She'll go to visit friends or include herself onto her brothers travels but then she'll get tired of them and go off on her own. I keep telling her just to go on her own but she will not. If you want to go in May, Do It!

Just got back a little less than a week ago from a solo trip - I am not even sure of my count now, but it's in the dozens of solos to Disney now. My first solo trip started as an accident - someone who was supposed to be going had a last minute schedule change and couldn't make it, and it was just two days out so canceling wasn't a good option - I ended up just going on my own hesitantly. And had such a great time that it became a regular thing - at least one trip a year, sometimes two, now have to be solo. I still take family trips and buddy trips as well, but I think I look forward to the solo ones the most. Nobody's schedule, nobody to be concerned about whether they're having a good time, nobody else's taste in food, nobody to cluck and sigh when I stop for yet another photo or walk around with my tripod taking long exposures. No rush to get to the parks - I can walk the resorts, bus and boat to other resorts to get to the parks indirectly, chill on a bench with a drink and people watch for a bit, skip a ride if the line's too long. And I can be as social or anti-social as I want - sometimes I can just be alone, do my thing - other times I can socialize with others at bars and rides, make friends or brief acquaintances, etc. Solo trips RULE!

I LOVE solo trips! I have a trip next week with my aunt and cousin and while I'm excited to be in WDW, I am hoping I can sneak off for some solo activities around the parks and resorts. For me, making my own schedule and not feeling an obligation to keep everyone else happy and occupied makes my trips so much easier. Plus, I get to meet interesting people at the resort lounges when I'm solo, something that's sometimes less organic when you're with travel companions. Do it!!

I've never done a solo trip to WDW but I've done plenty of solo travel in other countries. I ask myself too why I go alone and I think of it this way: if I don't go alone, I'll probably never do it as my friends are absolutely not interested in the things I want to do. Don't hold yourself back from doing things because of others. You're doing it because you want to. Plus not having to be on other people's schedules and accommodating their needs is refreshing in terms of travel.

You know, I know all of the things you are saying - I say them too. But sometimes I don't feel them. I think that's what's happening today. I feel a little like there are some who might prefer I don't do this, or they want to go and can't, or, or, or.... My usual support system isn't working for me at the moment. I don't know - after how this morning is going at work, I think I need the trip more than ever. Still, I wonder if I won't be sitting there, eating my snacks from the TRON booth and feeling a little lonely.

Up until May 2022, I had never gone to WDW without my DD. I had planned on a solo in May 2019 that ended up being DD, DGS, DSis and her family. In May 2022 I didn't tell ANYONE that I was going until the last minute. I went and I had a fabulous time, so much so that I am doing it again next month (I wasn't talked out of it lol)

DBF doesn't like WDW, my mom will not fly, DD works and can't afford time off, and none of my few friends are WDW folks. I initially felt some guilt (still do a little honestly) but I am getting more excited by the day and I know I'm going to have a great time. I only use PHs for solo trips. Want to leave MK and go to Epcot? Sure... HS too busy and I want a break? Go to the room... I don't need input from ANYONE!

ETA: The only time I felt at all lonely was at Seats and Treats. The rest of time was pretty blissful. :)
Just go!

@Smugpugmug - you know, you're right, it's either go alone or don't go at all right now. Hmmm....

I wish I could still get a solo trip done for under a grand - things have gone up so much! Splitting the hotel room is usually a huge help.

I usually go alone and LOVE IT... My last trip was with friends... and my next two are also planned with other people. And honestly I can't wait to have another solo trip. I love the people I'm going with... But it's not MY trip when I'm with people. Trying to make the number$ work to sneak a solo trip somewhere in there.

@Smugpugmug - you know, you're right, it's either go alone or don't go at all right now. Hmmm....

I wish I could still get a solo trip done for under a grand - things have gone up so much! Splitting the hotel room is usually a huge help.
Oh yeah I get that. The perks of going with others are splitting costs but with solo travel you're on your own.

I speak from experience in that I've missed out on certain trip opporunities because I refused to go alone. If you can afford it finances wise, I say do it. Solo travel is great.

I usually go alone and LOVE IT... My last trip was with friends... and my next two are also planned with other people. And honestly I can't wait to have another solo trip. I love the people I'm going with... But it's not MY trip when I'm with people. Trying to make the number$ work to sneak a solo trip somewhere in there.

I get that, and I have in the past enjoyed solo trips. It's just, I am alone a lot recently (and that's okay, I generally like my alone time). Sometimes I have a need to get away from people that I know - but right now I'm not feeling that. I don't know.

I've done one solo trip. It was a half day solo at Universal and then a full day solo at Epcot... and it was GLORIOUS! I did miss my family a bit but being able to do whatever I wanted whenever I wanted with no one complaining, melting down, or arguing was amazing. :)

I've done one solo trip. It was a half day solo at Universal and then a full day solo at Epcot... and it was GLORIOUS! I did miss my family a bit but being able to do whatever I wanted whenever I wanted with no one complaining, melting down, or arguing was amazing. :)

Yeah. I think a difference is that I don't really have too many people to miss. It just kind of puts a focus on that.

I get that, and I have in the past enjoyed solo trips. It's just, I am alone a lot recently (and that's okay, I generally like my alone time). Sometimes I have a need to get away from people that I know - but right now I'm not feeling that. I don't know.

This makes sense. For me anyway, I tend to want my vacation to be the opposite of my everyday life. If I’m living in the city, I want to get out into nature. If I’m living alone, I want to do a trip with other people. Etc. It’s a break from routine.

So while I love solo trips (getting solo spoiled is REAL), I also think there’s a right time for them, and for me it’s usually when I need some alone time. If that’s not your situation right now, maybe it’s not the right time for a solo trip.

This makes sense. For me anyway, I tend to want my vacation to be the opposite of my everyday life. If I’m living in the city, I want to get out into nature. If I’m living alone, I want to do a trip with other people. Etc. It’s a break from routine.

So while I love solo trips (getting solo spoiled is REAL), I also think there’s a right time for them, and for me it’s usually when I need some alone time. If that’s not your situation right now, maybe it’s not the right time for a solo trip.

Yeah, maybe. Then again, it's not like I don't see people. I do. It's just all so routine right now. I always feel like I'm doing the same thing. Then agian, Disney is the same vacation that I like to take - though there would be new stuff like TRON. I do keep thinking that I should go if I can go - which I can.

Last edited:
I did a solo trip splitting between Pop and Cabana Bay in Feb. Checking in to AKL on May 8 for solo trip. Have a Aventura/WL trip in August for my birthday, a week in September for HHN at RPR. All solo . The only thing I have booked that isnt a solo trip is a 7 day Disney Cruise the Saturday after Thanksgiving because the price is basically the same I’m bringing my Disney loving friend along.

I think there are threads on this forum where solos post their travel dates and plan to meet up with other solos...maybe that would be an option for you. You might find some company for a meal or a few rides but still enjoy doing your own thing.

I think there are threads on this forum where solos post their travel dates and plan to meet up with other solos...maybe that would be an option for you. You might find some company for a meal or a few rides but still enjoy doing your own thing.

I have done that in the past, but it can be hard to match thigns up.

You don't have to answer here, but to think about for yourself: are you alone or are you lonely?

Being alone on a trip can be perfect.
Being lonely on a trip is hell.

I have been lonely in both WDW and on a Disney Cruise. Part of the remedy was to just stay in bed, scroll on my phone, for a day. It was halfway through my trips and fatigue was setting in. Fatigue doesn't help when feeling lonely.
I cancelled my character dinner because that was (to me at that moment) something you really want to do with someone to create memories. I was definitely not feeling Disney at the time. The next day I took it slower and did a day with only things I loved. No new or so-so things.

What might also help when feeling lonely is keep in contact with people at home who love Disney. Live sharing what is happening can improve your mood.

Whenever the voice in the back of your head starts to argue "why are you doing this?" Best is to answer "because I like Disney, now shut up."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter