Talk me INTO it....

You don't have to answer here, but to think about for yourself: are you alone or are you lonely?

Being alone on a trip can be perfect.
Being lonely on a trip is hell.

I have been lonely in both WDW and on a Disney Cruise. Part of the remedy was to just stay in bed, scroll on my phone, for a day. It was halfway through my trips and fatigue was setting in. Fatigue doesn't help when feeling lonely.
I cancelled my character dinner because that was (to me at that moment) something you really want to do with someone to create memories. I was definitely not feeling Disney at the time. The next day I took it slower and did a day with only things I loved. No new or so-so things.

What might also help when feeling lonely is keep in contact with people at home who love Disney. Live sharing what is happening can improve your mood.

Whenever the voice in the back of your head starts to argue "why are you doing this?" Best is to answer "because I like Disney, now shut up."

thank you for that - it's a very interesting bit of advice. I would generally say that I am not a lonely person, though I am alone a lot. Others judge me more harshly for that, though I am pretty good at not letting that bother me (pretty good, but sometimes it gets to me, you know?). You are right though - being alone isn't a bad thing, and I would be keeping the trip short, which helps.

I don't really do any live-sharing etc. with the phones - in fact I try to look it as little as possibe (good luck!). You definitely have me thinking here though.

Last edited:
So I haven't had the opportunity to take an actual solo vacation(to Disney or anywhere else). I am quite introverted-even within my own family unit/friend circle, so I think I would enjoy it overall. I used to go to the movies and out to eat solo and really enjoyed the peace it gave me-even for a short "break" from others. Even from the people that I care about and are close with.

I think all of the feelings you've expressed are valid, but I also think that if you want to go do something-do it. If you have the means and time to go enjoy yourself solo-do it. If you think you'll enjoy yourself even a little bit more than usual-do it. Life is too short to not "do it".

Hopefully that makes sense

I get the same feeling you do sometimes when I think about it. Like "Why am I going solo when I could go somewhere else with friends?" But the moment I'm in the parks all that goes away and it's the best decision I've made all year. I think knowing that these are only thoughts when you're not on the trip helps a lot.

It also helps me to keep the trip short. As a solo I can get through the parks pretty fast and may end up bored by the last days.

I get the same feeling you do sometimes when I think about it. Like "Why am I going solo when I could go somewhere else with friends?" But the moment I'm in the parks all that goes away and it's the best decision I've made all year. I think knowing that these are only thoughts when you're not on the trip helps a lot.

It also helps me to keep the trip short. As a solo I can get through the parks pretty fast and may end up bored by the last days.

This! For me, a slower pace and being present in the moment is the best way to enjoy solo trips. I live alone, my partner is LD and my family is all several states away now, but I enjoy solitude. Most of my Disney trips end up being solo and I've enjoyed all of them. Some of my most magical moments in the parks have been on solo trips. I find that when CMs find out you are a solo tourist they tend to engage with you a bit more and make magic happen. I've never felt especially like I was missing out watching families and groups having fun together, I just sort of feel vicarious joy about it and soak up the happy vibes.

The thing is, despite being a dyed in the wool introvert I also enjoy being around people (it's just my social "meter" fills up a lot faster than an extrovert's would and I need to be alone for a bit after). And I find that when I do need social interaction there's no shortage of it in the parks and resorts, it's probably easier to talk to people actually because you already have something in common with everyone there: love of Disney. On one weekend trip when I was at BC I spent half a Sunday afternoon in the adults only hot tub at SAB just talking about Star Wars and old school Epcot with a pair of couples. Neither group knew the other or me before that but we were old friends by the end of it. I needed some downtime after that, but it was wonderful. On my last trip I was at the big Dig Site pool at Coronado and ended up befriending a young couple from SC, only a few miles from my grandma's hometown. I love chatting with people in lines and while people watching. There hasn't been a single solo trip where I haven't had at least one interesting conversation with total strangers. I get as much of that as I need and then I can wander in solitude or read a book watching the world go by.

So it's very rare that I have ever truly felt lonely at the parks, and when I have it's been because of external factors. Like towards the end of my 40th birthday trip, the last couple of days I was at YC, depression hit really hard bc I keenly felt my partner being missing, the separation due to the border being closed meant her not being able to make it on that trip with me. Even then, I called her and it helped--I was on FaceTime (audio) a lot with her on that trip. I even discreetly video FT so she could "watch" Epcot Forever with me (my spot is always upstairs in Japan outside Tokyo Dining so I wasn't bothering anyone near me). All this is to say that it's in how you approach it, your mindset. Not dwelling on "what if", "shoulda coulda woulda" rather taking in where you're at now and savoring that is key.

To pinch the theme of wvjules, I have been wanting to do a trip in early May, but I just can't pull the trigger on it. It looks like it would be solo, and while I have done that in the past, it's been a while and sometimes I know that I will feel weird doing it - not in the others judging me sort of way, but more in judging myself. I might be standing in a line and wondering, "Why am I doing this?" Why do I do everything by myself? Then again, some of my best experiences ever came on solo trips too, and I could actually do a water park as none of my friends ever want to. I'm always the first one to encourage others, but sometimes it's hard to follow one's own advice. I kind of need to get on it if I'm going to, but I just still have some doubt.

You should ONE MILLION percent do this. I don't know what your situation is, but I can tell you that I got married and had kids much later than most of my friends, which left me on my own a lot there for awhile. I spent some time feeling lonely and LIMITED by that - meaning, I felt awkward enough going out on my own that I just stayed home instead. Which, despite the fact that I am very much a homebody, did eventually get boring. So I decided I wasn't wasting my life sitting in my house just because I happened to not have someone else to go with me wherever it was I wanted to go. So I started doing things alone - movies, restaurants, I'd even go to happy hour with a book and just enjoy some food and drinks, which would inevitably lead to chatting with strangers and sometimes even making new friends.

I realized I really enjoy my own company and the freedom of doing things on my own terms an started throwing around the idea of traveling on my own. Because I LOVE to travel, but it is immensely difficult to find people to travel with when they are mostly settled down with kids and/or are on a schoolteacher schedule! I got SO EXCITED to do a solo trip, and was just getting ready to book one, when..... I met the man I would eventually marry. And instead of my solo trip, we booked a trip to WDW, eventually got married, had kids, and I now I don't know if I'll ever have the opportunity to experience a solo trip! Which, while I love my family and the life we have now, I regret not doing that solo trip earlier, when I had the chance. I feel like I would have enjoyed the opportunity to bask in my independence, grow as a person, learn something about myself, go where the wind would take me, and just do whatever I wanted without having to consider 3 other humans 😂

Unlike me, you've done solo trips before, so obviously you are comfortable doing so and know the benefits. But if you're asking WHY, maybe the problem isn't the company but the destination. All of us here clearly enjoy Disney, but if it's your go-to trip, maybe you need to spice it up? Go somewhere new and different, somewhere that's always been on your bucket list, where you can have truly new experiences, learn new things, meet different types of people. Somewhere that excites and inspires you!

You should ONE MILLION percent do this. I don't know what your situation is, but I can tell you that I got married and had kids much later than most of my friends, which left me on my own a lot there for awhile. I spent some time feeling lonely and LIMITED by that - meaning, I felt awkward enough going out on my own that I just stayed home instead. Which, despite the fact that I am very much a homebody, did eventually get boring. So I decided I wasn't wasting my life sitting in my house just because I happened to not have someone else to go with me wherever it was I wanted to go. So I started doing things alone - movies, restaurants, I'd even go to happy hour with a book and just enjoy some food and drinks, which would inevitably lead to chatting with strangers and sometimes even making new friends.

I realized I really enjoy my own company and the freedom of doing things on my own terms an started throwing around the idea of traveling on my own. Because I LOVE to travel, but it is immensely difficult to find people to travel with when they are mostly settled down with kids and/or are on a schoolteacher schedule! I got SO EXCITED to do a solo trip, and was just getting ready to book one, when..... I met the man I would eventually marry. And instead of my solo trip, we booked a trip to WDW, eventually got married, had kids, and I now I don't know if I'll ever have the opportunity to experience a solo trip! Which, while I love my family and the life we have now, I regret not doing that solo trip earlier, when I had the chance. I feel like I would have enjoyed the opportunity to bask in my independence, grow as a person, learn something about myself, go where the wind would take me, and just do whatever I wanted without having to consider 3 other humans 😂

Unlike me, you've done solo trips before, so obviously you are comfortable doing so and know the benefits. But if you're asking WHY, maybe the problem isn't the company but the destination. All of us here clearly enjoy Disney, but if it's your go-to trip, maybe you need to spice it up? Go somewhere new and different, somewhere that's always been on your bucket list, where you can have truly new experiences, learn new things, meet different types of people. Somewhere that excites and inspires you!

Somehow the fact that you accidentally met your husband while you were trying to go on a solo trip is hilarious! The grass is always greener on the other side—enjoy your family trips! :)

Brian, have you decided yet? Maybe you can book it so you get excited about the possibility of going.

I've never done a solo WDW trip, but I travel with my sister and sometimes she needs a day of staying at the resort and doing nothing. I never ever feel that way at WDW, so I go out on my own and have a great time.

In December, I ended up leaving a day after my sister did--changed my flight since I was concerned about a possible blizzard at home--and had a fantastic time doing Epcot and DHS by myself.

I tend to talk to people in line if it seems like they could be receptive, and I've had wonderful conversations and instant acquaintanceships with many terrific people. That's definitely one way to keep from feeling lonely if you're traveling solo. And at WDW, there's a guarantee of something to talk about, so no need to struggle for topics.

Brian, have you decided yet? Maybe you can book it so you get excited about the possibility of going.

No decision yet. Something I think I'm 95% there, but then, I dunno. I was hoping to make a more interesting update.

That's awesome Brian! Of course you are now required to post a trip report;)

Yay! :cheer2: That was my first Disney Resort and it was pretty good imo! Best part about going solo: You get to decide EVERYTHING! Where you stay, what you eat and when, what you do! You don't feel like standing in a line you've already waited in, get out, who cares? It's your time to use however you want, go get that Mickey pretzel if you want! You want to sit on a bench and people watch? I make up stories about my fellow park goers. The power is in your hands!

Have fun and safe travels!

Yay! :cheer2: That was my first Disney Resort and it was pretty good imo! Best part about going solo: You get to decide EVERYTHING! Where you stay, what you eat and when, what you do! You don't feel like standing in a line you've already waited in, get out, who cares? It's your time to use however you want, go get that Mickey pretzel if you want! You want to sit on a bench and people watch? I make up stories about my fellow park goers. The power is in your hands!

Have fun and safe travels!

YEah, I went with the less expensive option, but it's fine for my itinerary. I'm only doing two park days, going to MK and Epcot each morning, and hopping later. I usaully prefer Pop, but I don't need the skyliner access really, and without someone splitting the room cost, I decided to save the money - not that it won't go toward merch! 🤣 My priorities are TRON, Fantasmic!, Guardians, and Happily Ever After. I took a late flight back on Saturday so that I can hit a water park in the morning. It looks like Typhoon Lagoon will be the only option, though if BB reopens, I prefer that one.

Will you feel more lonely at home or on the trip?

It sounds like you are very good at meaningful interaction with strangers. Will this help fill the lonely aspects of the trip?

BTW, I find WDW to be someplace that I am extremely comfortable being on my own as a 60-something woman. It is safe, lots of people around if I would need assistance, and lots of other solo travelers.

Only you can weigh the pros and cons for your particular situation and mindset. For me, I can’t wait until I can take another solo trip. No worrying about whether my companion is enjoying himself or negotiating what to do next.

YEah, I went with the less expensive option, but it's fine for my itinerary. I'm only doing two park days, going to MK and Epcot each morning, and hopping later. I usaully prefer Pop, but I don't need the skyliner access really, and without someone splitting the room cost, I decided to save the money - not that it won't go toward merch! 🤣 My priorities are TRON, Fantasmic!, Guardians, and Happily Ever After. I took a late flight back on Saturday so that I can hit a water park in the morning. It looks like Typhoon Lagoon will be the only option, though if BB reopens, I prefer that one.
Oohh!! Fun! Looks like you have a great plan! I've never done the water parks, not a big fan of those but I've heard all good things! And Guardians was a BLAST!

The water parks are the one rare thing I haven't ever visited - despite having gone to Disney parks every year since 1971, and having stayed at nearly every resort property at WDW and visiting every theme park...the only water park I ever went to was River Country. Never went to Blizzard or Typhoon. I guess living in SE Florida, in a beach town, and having a pool in my yard, I just never associate vacations with going in the water because I can go in a pool or ocean any day of the year. I even go on cruises and visit all these tropical islands with beautiful beaches, and never swim - I'd rather go tour inland, visit forts, see wildlife, etc.
I honestly should try to visit one or both water parks just to be a properly thorough Disney local and say I've seen it all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter