Target policy changed on GC

I seriously laughed out loud at this. Yes, all of these criminal families "laundering" their Disney money. LOL
I wasn't buying them using Gift cards, but I bought about $800 using my red card and the woman asked me why I was buying them. I did a double take and said, for my Disney trip. She then said she would have to break it up into two transactions. I was like, no, I buy them all the time and never have to do that. She was like, Well, we have to. I'm like if you do that the second transaction won't go through. Then, and this is no joke, she said, well as long as you know what you are buying them for. Really??? LOL!! I got a good laugh out of that one....

I wasn't buying them using Gift cards, but I bought about $800 using my red card and the woman asked me why I was buying them. I did a double take and said, for my Disney trip. She then said she would have to break it up into two transactions. I was like, no, I buy them all the time and never have to do that. She was like, Well, we have to. I'm like if you do that the second transaction won't go through. Then, and this is no joke, she said, well as long as you know what you are buying them for. Really??? LOL!! I got a good laugh out of that one....

Well they're probably asking because there actually is a widely reported scam going on, which tends to target elderly people. They're told that their grandchild is in trouble and then they are directed to buy large amounts of gift cards to get them out of the trouble. It's been stopped at more than one Target location by cashiers getting concerned and asking the people buying them what they're buying them for. I would imagine the targets of these scams also give out signals of being in distress but big box store employees may be being informed to look out for these types of things.
Basically like how you can't buy certain cold medications because of meth dealers and in some places Tide Pods are locked up because of idiots, bad eggs are ruining things for everyone. Sigh.

Well they're probably asking because there actually is a widely reported scam going on, which tends to target elderly people. They're told that their grandchild is in trouble and then they are directed to buy large amounts of gift cards to get them out of the trouble. It's been stopped at more than one Target location by cashiers getting concerned and asking the people buying them what they're buying them for. I would imagine the targets of these scams also give out signals of being in distress but big box store employees may be being informed to look out for these types of things.
Basically like how you can't buy certain cold medications because of meth dealers and in some places Tide Pods are locked up because of idiots, bad eggs are ruining things for everyone. Sigh.
Lol. I can understand that, but I'm only 46 and was like okay.... lol. I could see other kind of gift cards, but not Disney ones. Lol.

I used to work for Target and am glad they keep an eye out for those kind of things.

My husband manages a big box store. At his store they have stopped MANY scams from the "your grandkid is in trouble and $500 in iTunes cards can fix it" to "this guy/prince/lottery winner needs $500 in green dot cards to claim his prize and I'll get $1000 for my trouble." Employees are trained now to be skeptical of large amounts purchased in gift cards and employees do not have to complete the transaction if they suspect anything out of the ordinary. Managers of course can have the final say or complete the transaction as long as it isn't against company policy. Many of the chains don't allow the gift card bought with a gift card. Target stands out there. Certainly some of the clerks unfamiliar with Disney vacations would wonder why someone is buying hundreds or thousands in Disney cards. I'm glad people are reporting that they can still do this at Target. I've never had an issue or been questioned at Target when swapping gift cards but then I only do 100 or 150 at a time.

Lol. I can understand that, but I'm only 46 and was like okay.... lol. I could see other kind of gift cards, but not Disney ones. Lol.

I used to work for Target and am glad they keep an eye out for those kind of things.

Oh I understand, I just had read about that scam very recently. I'm pretty sure they do go for things like iTunes cards myself. She might have only seen the stack of gift cards. LOL. It's amazing though all of these scams that are run with gift cards. Shakes head.

I was just able to buy $300 worth of Disney gift cards using Target gift cards. I had $281 in gift cards to apply to my purchase. I used these which left my balance due $19. I used my RedCard to get my 5% off and pay the balance. The 5% was only applied to the $19 balance so I only saved $0.95 with my RedCard. I didn’t question or argue because I was just glad to be buy the Disney gift cards. I don’t know if this is a new change, but previously the discount applied to the whole order even when using gift cards.

I was just able to buy $300 worth of Disney gift cards using Target gift cards. I had $281 in gift cards to apply to my purchase. I used these which left my balance due $19. I used my RedCard to get my 5% off and pay the balance. The 5% was only applied to the $19 balance so I only saved $0.95 with my RedCard. I didn’t question or argue because I was just glad to be buy the Disney gift cards. I don’t know if this is a new change, but previously the discount applied to the whole order even when using gift cards.

Sorry, but that has never been the case. Would be nice if it were true though! :)

I went to Target today and purchased a Disney Gift Card with Target gift cards. Used self check out. Did not have an issue. They were digital target gift card images saved on my phone. Used 6 different target cards. All went through easily with access numbers.

I think that used to be how it worked online not in the store. If you had a redcard in saved to your account you got the discount even If you paid with a gift card. You can't buy a gift card with a gift card online anymore though.
Correct. This stopped in Aug 2016.

I think that used to be how it worked online not in the store. If you had a redcard in saved to your account you got the discount even If you paid with a gift card. You can't buy a gift card with a gift card online anymore though.

Yup, used to always have a $5 Target gift card laying around from where you'd get the 5% Redcard discount off $100 online, so you'd only have to use $95 in gift cards. Ahhh, the good old days.

Just returned from Target. I purchased a 100.00 disney gc with 4 25.00 Target gift cards loaded on my phone from swagbucks. I used self check out because they only had one cashier open with a long line.

Just tested here in South Florida. Working here now. Cashier was confused when I pulled them up on my phone and asked her supervisor if it's ok and he said if it works then go ahead. Got 2 $50 Disney gift cards for Target gift cards.

Works again in Portland, ME! No issues buying a $50 Disney G.C. with a Target Gift Card!

Had no issues this morning at Target in Columbus, GA! Bought a $100 Disney GC with a $50 Target GC and my RedCard! Pretty happy about it!

Whew! I am so glad this is back! I had $300 of Target GCs that I was kicking myself for not converting into Disney.

I went to Target yesterday with $15 in Target gift cards but the clerk wouldn't let me use them to buy a Disney gift card. I am going to try tomorrow at a different Target.

I have bought a few discounted gift cards the past few days. Target, Bath and Body Works. And I went today to get $200 more in Target and my Disney Visa declined the purchase. Ugggh. I went ahead and just got a $100 one with my debit card and might try again tomorrow with Chase. I guess they think it might be fraud? I will go ahead and head up to Chattanooga tomorrow and make sure I can redeemed the $150 in Target card for Disney ones before purchasing more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter