The “Local” Mentality

swfmco

Mouseketeer
Never more has that air of “we live here, so we know nothing about that” come across than on the recent discussion about the Minnie Vans returning. Nobody had any real experience with it, incorrect info given out about the pricing, and Ryno chiming in with his typical ‘I can’t afford it, so I don’t like it’ spiel. I guess it balances out Pete’s viewpoint of “I only stay concierge”, but it still a little tiring. I feel like nobody even attempts anymore to view things through the prism of tourists who probably make up a large chunk of their audience.

I typically don’t listen if Pete is out, but I wanted to hear about some topics that were on the roster. Pete at least brings a certain level of expertise that I think a lot of his cohosts are missing.

I will never understand why posts like this get made. What level of insight are they supposed to have about a service you experience for 15 minutes at a time for a fairly high premium that with the exception of very specific uses (going to MK) can be accomplished in the vehicles they own?

If you want pricing, Google. It's not hard. This is a tiny part of a massive product that is Disney World. It's not even a brand new service, there is plenty of information out there.

Agree entirely. I just won’t listen if Pete isn’t on. The giggly let’s-be-silly-because-the-teacher’s-gone schtick seriously irritates my ears.

Very dismissive way to talk about people who threw a show together at the list minute that they could have very easily just cancelled. They are grown adults.

Good thing the correct price for the Minnie Van will be displayed in the Lyft app when you're looking to book a ride, so there's no sticker shock.

I'm sure the crew is in a predicament any time Pete is unable to host the show: should they do a show anyway even if it might be a little less disciplined and deal with comments about that, or should they cancel the show and deal with people asking why there wasn't a show?

Even now we don't use rideshare services where we live because it's unnessecary. That said, during our 2018 WDW trip, we got stranded at PO Riverside during a downpour. My wife asked a cast member about using the Minnie Van service to which the cast member suggested that we use the standard rideshare services instead because of the price difference. We were curious about the Minnie Van service so we used it instead. It was fantastic! There was lots of room to stretch out, the CM loaded/unloaded our bags & stroller, he even joked with the kids. For the rest of that trip, if the buses were few and far between and the bus lines were long, we opted for the Minnie Van service. Yeah, it cost a little extra, but it was well worth the amount of time we saved, especially when resort hopping to make a dinner reservation. Our only regret that trip is that we didn't think to use the service at the end of our first day on property. After a 6 AM flight, getting rained on at MK throughout the day, and making the mistake of leaving right after the fireworks, we waited 3 hours for a bus with two exhausted young kids. For those times you can't (or don't want to) wait for Disney transportation, it can be a wonderful alternative.

I've listened to the podcasts and participated in the podcast board discussion and the "local mentality' assertion has been flung about for as long as I have been participating. The same for the elitist charge. Just yesterday and today, Deni has been posting a good bit of content from WDW.

Never more has that air of “we live here, so we know nothing about that” come across than on the recent discussion about the Minnie Vans returning. Nobody had any real experience with it, incorrect info given out about the pricing, and Ryno chiming in with his typical ‘I can’t afford it, so I don’t like it’ spiel. I guess it balances out Pete’s viewpoint of “I only stay concierge”, but it still a little tiring. I feel like nobody even attempts anymore to view things through the prism of tourists who probably make up a large chunk of their audience.

I typically don’t listen if Pete is out, but I wanted to hear about some topics that were on the roster. Pete at least brings a certain level of expertise that I think a lot of his cohosts are missing.
Normally I wouldn't comment on these posts either but there are at least a couple of things I need to point out. First off, we literally try to do everything through the eyes of tourists. The one thing we don't really do is the experience of staying on property and using transportation and in situations where we know our opinion is one-side, like the Minnie Vans, we say that we are locals. If this is content you want to see, write to the boss and let him know, because if I go and turn in hundreds of dollars in receipts for Minnie Vans just to say I'm an expert, that's probably the last day you'll see me on the shows for a bit.

Second, your statement of expertise is just flat-out wrong. Maybe Pete has more expertise in the areas that you're interested in - DVC, higher-end experiences, booking trends that he can see from Dreams, but when it comes to in-park information and the current experience of visiting the parks the team can run circles around him. Pete pays attention to the parks side of the company, but the group on the show you were mentioning knows more about the studios and Disney+ and stay in touch with that aspect of Disney. If you mean we lack professionalism in the way we deliver our expertise compared to Pete, I can't argue with you there. I'm not Pete and I've been told for 10 years to be myself when I'm on camera, not a persona, so that's what we do.

Agree entirely. I just won’t listen if Pete isn’t on. The giggly let’s-be-silly-because-the-teacher’s-gone schtick seriously irritates my ears.

Finally, you have the right to not listen if Pete isn't on and no worries if you decide not to. I don't listen to things that irritate me in the same way. I just think it's hilarious that you're essentially saying that you don't listen when Pete's not on because you don't like to hear people who are having fun with their work. Again, this is not an act or persona we are putting on. This is how we talk as friends when we are discussing things that we enjoy. We'll remember this for next time and try to take the fun out of Disney and our jobs. It's hard to remember sometimes that Disney isn't about fun.

Craig- love the podcast & everyone on it. You all make me laugh & look forward to Tuesday’s shows. Keep up the good work!

A little FYI - I was watching another blog’s YouTube video about cost of tickets & value of park hopper. One person said “I don’t know how much a park hopper costs. Whatever” They didn’t know since they have an annual pass. It’s fine.
I don’t expect every blogger to know every cost.
Just my two cents.

Craig-- You bring a fun, relatable vibe that makes listening even more enjoyable. Thank you!

edited to add-- I enjoy listening to everyone, whether they are hosting or on the panel. Also, I think many people can relate to Ryno lamenting about the Minnie Van pricing.

Last edited:
I'm not a local - but I think locals are the best people to talk regularly about the parks. I'm consistently impressed by Kathy/Ryno/Deni/Craig/other's detailed knowledge of both what the current state of the parks are, and the history of what they used to look like. In order to know that much, you either have to live in Orlando or do many (maybe 5+?) vacations/year at WDW, which is very rare. There are definitely some benefits from getting vacationers' inputs - mainly transportation+lodging discussions, since that's the main way locals/non-locals experiences differ - but on most show topics, a non-local wouldn't provide any unique insight.

I love the show and appreciate those of you on it!

Normally I wouldn't comment on these posts either but there are at least a couple of things I need to point out. First off, we literally try to do everything through the eyes of tourists. The one thing we don't really do is the experience of staying on property and using transportation and in situations where we know our opinion is one-side, like the Minnie Vans, we say that we are locals. If this is content you want to see, write to the boss and let him know, because if I go and turn in hundreds of dollars in receipts for Minnie Vans just to say I'm an expert, that's probably the last day you'll see me on the shows for a bit.

Second, your statement of expertise is just flat-out wrong. Maybe Pete has more expertise in the areas that you're interested in - DVC, higher-end experiences, booking trends that he can see from Dreams, but when it comes to in-park information and the current experience of visiting the parks the team can run circles around him. Pete pays attention to the parks side of the company, but the group on the show you were mentioning knows more about the studios and Disney+ and stay in touch with that aspect of Disney. If you mean we lack professionalism in the way we deliver our expertise compared to Pete, I can't argue with you there. I'm not Pete and I've been told for 10 years to be myself when I'm on camera, not a persona, so that's what we do.

Finally, you have the right to not listen if Pete isn't on and no worries if you decide not to. I don't listen to things that irritate me in the same way. I just think it's hilarious that you're essentially saying that you don't listen when Pete's not on because you don't like to hear people who are having fun with their work. Again, this is not an act or persona we are putting on. This is how we talk as friends when we are discussing things that we enjoy. We'll remember this for next time and try to take the fun out of Disney and our jobs. It's hard to remember sometimes that Disney isn't about fun.
I think for every person who prefers when Pete is on, you'll find at least one who prefers when he is not. Personally, I like the variety and find something to enjoy no matter who is hosting (I've always loved when Pete's away and you guys would go off the rails). Y'all are each great, have something to offer, and together you make a great team. Part of the joy we get from the show is hearing different opinions and comparing them to our own.

Good thing I didn’t mention your routine contribution of “let me tell you how much better Universal is” or else you might have been REALLY offended.
I, for one, am thrilled that Craig and Ryno talked up Universal! It was their praise that made us give it another chance last year after a 10 year absence. We ended up adding a Universal annual pass to our WDW annual pass and have had an absolute blast!

Craig and gang I usually listen to you guys while I'm mowing the lawn or doing yard work/house work so I associate your podcast with sweating and a feeling of passing out from heat exhaustion. It makes me feel like I'm with you in Orlando! Keep it up!

I'm not a local but the comments about the Minnie Vans pretty much echoed my feelings on them. Not all tourists enjoy setting money on fire.

I want honest critiques, which most of the crew provide. If I wanted pixie dust blown up my shorts there are plenty of other options out there who are more than happy to do so.

I'm not a local but the comments about the Minnie Vans pretty much echoed my feelings on them. Not all tourists enjoy setting money on fire.

I want honest critiques, which most of the crew provide. If I wanted pixie dust blown up my shorts there are plenty of other options out there who are more than happy to do so.
The only positives I see to Minnie Vans are that they have car seats and they drop you off at the MK bus stop. If you're not in those two specific categories there is no benefits over normal Lyft.

The only positives I see to Minnie Vans are that they have car seats and they drop you off at the MK bus stop. If you're not in those two specific categories there is no benefits over normal Lyft.
But it looks cool too. 😎

We used them a couple times in 2018. We had Lyft discounts (like 20%), which made the price within a couple dollars of a regular Lyft, so we tried it out. We really liked it. At the prices they are charging now, though, probably wouldn't bother.

But it looks cool too. 😎

We used them a couple times in 2018. We had Lyft discounts (like 20%), which made the price within a couple dollars of a regular Lyft, so we tried it out. We really liked it. At the prices they are charging now, though, probably wouldn't bother.
giphy.gif

The drivers are CMs instead of Lyft drivers. I don't care about that, but it is a benefit for some certainly. Lots of weirdos drive for Lyft and Uber (again, doesn't bother me).

But it looks cool too. 😎

I can’t seem to find anything concrete about Minnie van pricing but I will note that regular lyft and uber pricing around the parks can be pretty ridiculous at peak times. We paid $35 one morning for an Uber from Disney springs to epcot. It was like a 10 minute trip (at other times we paid less than $10).

Do Minnie vans have dynamic surge pricing? If not, they may not always be that pricey, relatively speaking.

I was super bummed to find out they weren't doing airport to resort trips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter