The “Local” Mentality

I can’t seem to find anything concrete about Minnie van pricing but I will note that regular lyft and uber pricing around the parks can be pretty ridiculous at peak times. We paid $35 one morning for an Uber from Disney springs to epcot. It was like a 10 minute trip (at other times we paid less than $10).

Do Minnie vans have dynamic surge pricing? If not, they may not always be that pricey, relatively speaking.
I don't know if they do surge pricing. Originally it was $25 flat rate, then it changed based on how far it was, but I don't know if it spikes for demand. My guess is no because the cast members are paid a normal hourly salary.

Normally I wouldn't comment on these posts either but there are at least a couple of things I need to point out. First off, we literally try to do everything through the eyes of tourists. The one thing we don't really do is the experience of staying on property and using transportation and in situations where we know our opinion is one-side, like the Minnie Vans, we say that we are locals. If this is content you want to see, write to the boss and let him know, because if I go and turn in hundreds of dollars in receipts for Minnie Vans just to say I'm an expert, that's probably the last day you'll see me on the shows for a bit.

Second, your statement of expertise is just flat-out wrong. Maybe Pete has more expertise in the areas that you're interested in - DVC, higher-end experiences, booking trends that he can see from Dreams, but when it comes to in-park information and the current experience of visiting the parks the team can run circles around him. Pete pays attention to the parks side of the company, but the group on the show you were mentioning knows more about the studios and Disney+ and stay in touch with that aspect of Disney. If you mean we lack professionalism in the way we deliver our expertise compared to Pete, I can't argue with you there. I'm not Pete and I've been told for 10 years to be myself when I'm on camera, not a persona, so that's what we do.

Finally, you have the right to not listen if Pete isn't on and no worries if you decide not to. I don't listen to things that irritate me in the same way. I just think it's hilarious that you're essentially saying that you don't listen when Pete's not on because you don't like to hear people who are having fun with their work. Again, this is not an act or persona we are putting on. This is how we talk as friends when we are discussing things that we enjoy. We'll remember this for next time and try to take the fun out of Disney and our jobs. It's hard to remember sometimes that Disney isn't about fun.

For crying out loud. We all are subjective with any review we make or give, anywhere, at any time. Yes, Pete does concierge level all the time; he can afford it. Ryno doesn't use Minnie Vans. I'm "Local" but for what it's worth, I'm an hour and a half away. I park my car when I get there and it doesn't move again until I leave unless I'm picking up/bringing back someone from/to the airport. I have had to use a scooter due to one knee and 2 hip replacements since 2018. I use buses when I'm there and people question me saying "You what? Don't you get free parking with your AP or with your handicap tag?". We all have our own unique experiences every time we go to Disneyworld.

Stop complaining the show/podcast/message boards don't do everything from your perspective. They can't, they don't have your perspective because they aren't you. how many of us can look at someone from Dis Unplugged and say "Yep, they are exactly like me!"

I'm appreciative of all of The Dis employees. Each brings their own perspective to the table. Their perspective. Not ours or mine. If you don't like what they say, tune in to AllEars, WDWNT, Disney Food Blog, Mickey Views, or any other Disney related boards on the Internet.

IDK.....I listen to the podcast while on my daily walks... I rarely find out anything new or earthshaking I didn't know about Disney, in fact I have no plans or desire to visit Disney right now- yet I still listen- why? I enjoy listening to people talk about subjects that I like, and I enjoy listening to this group of people chat about this stuff. I have never, and probably will NEVER take a minnie van, yet I enjoyed hearing all the opinion about it. I listen to a podcast b/c I like the people involved, and I listen to quite a few different ones. There are certain ones I stick with just b/c I like the sound of their voice!

I usually stay on Disney Spring hotels, so I may consider it if they can get me there from MK late at night without having to take the Monorail.

The drivers are CMs instead of Lyft drivers. I don't care about that, but it is a benefit for some certainly. Lots of weirdos drive for Lyft and Uber (again, doesn't bother me).
We got some unusual personalities, including one that sort of creeped my kids out, doing standard Lyft on our last trip. :scared: We did it anyway, but we hit the tail end of Minnie vans before while one son really needed that car seat and never ran into creepy Minnie drivers.

The only positives I see to Minnie Vans are that they have car seats and they drop you off at the MK bus stop. If you're not in those two specific categories there is no benefits over normal Lyft.
Last month my brother had two little ones needing car seats. One morning we left the same hotel aprox 1/2 hour later than they did. We hopped in a Lyft and were entering EPCOT just as they were approching the SEAS. The time savings were gold, better than expected and I have no idea what the heck their bus was doing, but I felt terrible they were left out due to lack of carseats from Minnies being down.

I don't know where you've been using Uber/Lyft but here in Central FL We have never encountered anything like that.

Same. I've used it around the country and I'm usually picked up in a pretty nice car. Typically very clean with some ridealong perks because they want good reviews.

My family members use Uber/Lyft often and in several different cities. We all agree that 99% of the drivers are great and the cars are very clean.

Not only is the OP correct but the attacks for having an opinion other than agreement is an even bigger problem. I would add that the opinions of the Dis that disregard everyone with children is even worse. There is zero family perspective on this show which is about a destination designed for children and families. Sometimes the truth hurts and we arent asking for pixie dust in or shorts, but we surely dont want disunplugged diarrhea in there either. I much prefer Nate and Paging Mr Morrow or The Tim Tracker … They get it

Going back to the original topic LOVE the show, the team and everything they do, BUT the local angle leaves a bit of a blind spot in the coverage at times.

Always thought the potential of a supplemental show consisting of Non-Florida Residents would be sort of a cool idea. Bring in a panel from around the US, and possibly beyond, call it something like “The Outsiders”. Definitely willing to offer my services, but happy if they just stole the idea.

:)

I love the idea of bringing on a non local perspective to the podcast every so often. I love the idea of having a mom on the podcast as well. Something to think about for sure.....
Having articles published from a non local perspective of a recent trip is also great from a recent trip. A different eye.

Having articles published from a non local perspective of a recent trip is also great from a recent trip. A different eye.

How about someone an hour and a half away? The only time I've done a day trip was to Disney Springs to pick up a seasonal passholder magnet, otherwise I'm usually spending at least one night on property. I do bring a car though, and also stop at Walgreens for bottles of soda, orange juice, and a bag of donuts. $4.99 for that same bottle of OJ at the resorts is nuts. :eek:

I don't know where you've been using Uber/Lyft but here in Central FL We have never encountered anything like that.
I definitely had two like this during my May trip (in Feb, we didn't use Lyft/Uber - in Sept, I did some but didn't experience this). I was really thrown off by a couple of my May drivers.

I spent a long time on these message boards while planning my family's first trip . I learned the ends and outs of Disney World from everyone on these boards. I didn't even realize there was a podcast until after my 2nd trip. I look at the podcast the same as the boards. Not all of the opinions and information shared is going to be relevant or apply to me and my family but it is still nice to know because I enjoy all things Disney/Parks/Movies etc. I will never spend the money to stay concierge at a deluxe resort like Pete because for my family and I, it just doesn't make sense. But will I drop a few extra dollars to support a Disney run rideshare service with actual Disney employees, yes I will. I can also appreciate that someone else might not find the value in that.

I watch the Podcast because I enjoy hearing everyone's opinions and thoughts. I love that everyone has their own ideas and thoughts on all the different topics. They are not here to create tourist content. If you don't like them, don't watch it then.

... BUT the local angle leaves a bit of a blind spot in the coverage at times. ...

:)
This will always be a problem. Everyone who covers WDW Resort has wanted to be "local" Rob from Midway to Main St and Brandon from Mickey Views both moved here. AJ from Disney Food Blog doesn't but nearly her entire staff is local. Tim Tracker is local. All bring their own unique perspective to what they produce. You may not like it or agree with it but that's your prerogative, just like theirs is to provide their perspective.

I love the idea of having a mom on the podcast as well. Something to think about for sure.....
They have 5 moms I can think of, Deni, Julie, Jackie, Kathy, and Theresa. How many more do you need? All have been going to Disney for years. One of them has young children, one is a great special needs child. Two have older kids. Two have adult kids, one of whom is a former cast member. All bring their own unique perspective. What more do you want? Does anyone really expect The Dis to have a panel full of people similar to just them?

...there is zero family perspective on this show which is about a destination designed for children and families. ...
If this was true there wouldn't be so many conventions held at WDW There wouldn't be 4 PGA level golf courses at WDW. There wouldn't be so much fine dining and a lot more quick service dining. There wouldn't be a very profitable wedding business. There wouldn't be targeted advertising toward seniors. DISCON would be filled with families with small children and there's hardly any at it. I went to the first Disneyana convention in 1992 and was talking to a cast member manager and I asked him why they decided to get into collectibles. He told me "It's apparently big business and we're not in it." And there were few families there.

I know firsthand how conventions are operated. The only reason we didn't have ours at Coronado Springs in 2017 was that Disney wanted $110 per conventioneer, per day for food and beverage. It was a hobby convention, it wouldn't fit within our attendee's budget. We could have had EPCOT After 2 pm tickets for $50; after 4 pm they were $35. We didn't care; our attendees were coming to the convention first, the theme parks second. Disney didn't care that we weren't bringing families; they cared we were bringing money. Plain and simply put, WDW is a destination designed for anyone and everyone who can afford it. If anyone thinks they are hurting because their service is lower than it has ever been, thinks the "magic" is lone gone, or it's too expensive needs to visit WDW. Based on the crowd levels I think they're wrong.

Anyone who thinks a blog, vlog, or show, "needs" to change what they produce because it doesn't meet their perspective should find a show that does.

Really good point Danielle! :worship:

I'd just like to add that people should indeed continue to provide a critique of the podcast. Feedback to the originators is important for continuous improvement.

This will always be a problem. Everyone who covers WDW Resort has wanted to be "local" Rob from Midway to Main St and Brandon from Mickey Views both moved here. AJ from Disney Food Blog doesn't but nearly her entire staff is local. Tim Tracker is local. All bring their own unique perspective to what they produce. You may not like it or agree with it but that's your prerogative, just like theirs is to provide their perspective.

Thanks for making my point. Everyone is local.

Love their coverage just thought it would be cool if they added another angle. The team covers real estate and DVC in different shows, just thought it would be nice to add a different view on occasion.

Guess it's also my prerogative to make a suggestion that I think would improve what's already my favorite YouTube channel for Disney Coverage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter