The “Local” Mentality

What's the difference between a Local and a Non-Local? Pretty much not too much; how we get there and how often we go. I consider myself "local" and I'm an hour and 20 minute drive away. Two thirds of my trips I stay at a resort on Disney property.

And how often we go isn't really part of my definition. Would someone from Miami who flies to Orlando be considered a Local? How about someone from Key West, local or not? How about Jackie Gailey? She lives in Jacksonville. What's your dividing line? How far? Do they stay in a hotel? Do they have AP's? How often do they visit?
You make a good point. I think it's clear that I'm local. I actually live closer to the parks than any of the podcasters. I'm not so sure I'd call you @DanielleC a local from my perspective.

I’ll bite. More than 2 hours away and more likely requires a flight in. Yeah, you could theoretically drive from Alaska, but I think we all know what we’re looking at.

I mean, I certainly would hope that someone who lives in Winter Garden treats a trip to WDW differently than someone who lives in Phoenix.

My point is this. Or my real question. Why or how does distance change everyone's Disney experience? Should it? How does it? Are we saying that someone's level of being a fan or the experiences they enjoy differs by their distance to Orlando? Why does the term "local" even exist?

Why does saying something like "I don't like/care about XYZ" end with "because I'm a local"? People have said The Dis didn't review Minnie Vans. Huh? They are fancy-painted Lyfts driven by Disney employees. What's to review??? They're a damn cab.

Are you saying all locals won't use them? I don't and not because I'm a local. I don't want to pay for them. I have buses, monorails, boats and a thing in the sky. I use an ECV and I think how they load them on a bus is amazing. (I know, simple things amuse me).

Want to know what sucks about being a local? The traffic. Try getting on I-4 West when leaving Disney.

Last edited:
Local is someone who drives in for the day and then drives home at the end.

I don't understand why some people expect the DIS to review EVERYTHING WDW offers either. Why SHOULD they care about Minnie Van's? Why would they ever need to use one? And like a previous poster said, what do people need a review for? It's a rideshare. You can read about what it entails as far as car decor and CM drivers. What else do you need to know? Plenty of people here on the boards have used them and discussed their experiences.

As a Disneyland local, I don't know much about renting a wheelchair or stroller, or which hotels on Harbor are the best, because I never have a need to know so I don't care. That doesn't make me any less knowledgeable about the parks and the park experience. And it certainly doesn't make me less of a fan.

My point is this. Or my real question. Why or how does distance change everyone's Disney experience? Should it? How does it? Are we saying that someone's level of being a fan or the experiences they enjoy differs by their distance to Orlando? Why does the term "local" even exist?

Why does saying something like "I don't like/care about XYZ" end with "because I'm a local"? People have said The Dis didn't review Minnie Vans. Huh? They are fancy-painted Lyfts driven by Disney employees. What's to review??? They're a damn cab.

Are you saying all locals won't use them? I don't and not because I'm a local. I don't want to pay for them. I have buses, monorails, boats and a thing in the sky. I use an ECV and I think how they load them on a bus is amazing. (I know, simple things amuse me).

Want to know what sucks about being a local? The traffic. Try getting on I-4 West when leaving Disney.
I am not sure people were judging anyone's fandom. If we go back to the OP, it was offer a specific critique as it related to a specific product or service that was mentioned on the show based on the OPs point of view. Being that the panel is full of "locals", none of which could offer any real advice as to the OPs specific use case. Certainly not every person or panel will have experience with any single thing and there is nothing wrong with that. They were providing feedback to the show, perhaps a little harsh, but feedback nonetheless.

I think we’re saying the same thing. Your experience on I-4 and my experience coming from MCO are different and sometimes it would be nice to hear more about the differences.

Again. This is nothing against anyone or anything but there are different experiences at these parks all over the place and many have been mentioned. This thread, I thought, was about the difference between how distance changes aspects of your visit and maybe sprinkling some of those aspects into the coverage might be OK to do once in a while.

I think we’re saying the same thing. Your experience on I-4 and my experience coming from MCO are different and sometimes it would be nice to hear more about the differences.

Again. This is nothing against anyone or anything but there are different experiences at these parks all over the place and many have been mentioned. This thread, I thought, was about the difference between how distance changes aspects of your visit and maybe sprinkling some of those aspects into the coverage might be OK to do once in a while.
Imagine a high speed freeway. That's the 417 East to MCO. Imagine a 7 mile long parking lot. That's I-4 West. Some days it's so bad I go out through Animal Kingdom and take either 192 east to US 27 South or take the 429 to I-4.

I am not sure people were judging anyone's fandom. If we go back to the OP, it was offer a specific critique as it related to a specific product or service that was mentioned on the show based on the OPs point of view. Being that the panel is full of "locals", none of which could offer any real advice as to the OPs specific use case. Certainly not every person or panel will have experience with any single thing and there is nothing wrong with that. They were providing feedback to the show, perhaps a little harsh, but feedback nonetheless.

The Dis is not all things to all people. It's a one hour show once a week that provides more discussion on more than one topic than other bloggers. You want food reviews, DFB. You want park ideas, Molly. You want discussion on a single topic, Mickey Views. You want a local family view, Tim Tracker. The list is long and lengthy. I only know one blogger who uses Minnie Vans, that's AJ from DFB because she is always running late (my kind of woman!).

Local is someone who drives in for the day and then drives home at the end.

I don't understand why some people expect the DIS to review EVERYTHING WDW offers either. Why SHOULD they care about Minnie Van's? Why would they ever need to use one? And like a previous poster said, what do people need a review for? It's a rideshare. You can read about what it entails as far as car decor and CM drivers. What else do you need to know? Plenty of people here on the boards have used them and discussed their experiences.

As a Disneyland local, I don't know much about renting a wheelchair or stroller, or which hotels on Harbor are the best, because I never have a need to know so I don't care. That doesn't make me any less knowledgeable about the parks and the park experience. And it certainly doesn't make me less of a fan.

My point about being a fan is that until 1990 I was not a local. When I moved I became a local. I've been both. The only thing that changed for me was getting to Orlando. Beyond that all trips were the same experiences. Even still, there were a few trips from NJ where we drove down to FL so we didn't have transportation experiences except the monorail. And back then, bus tranpo was horrible. Today it's much better. But I think having your car is what makes someone a local more so than they go home at the end of the day. And that's a key because you don't need any Disney transportation. Yeah, I get there, I park and don't move my car until I leave but a lot of others park and drive their car to wherever they are headed.

The level of offense taken by the term “legacy fan” and the level of dismissiveness given to “vacation people” on the last podcast only confirms my thinking that led to my original post that started this thread.

I think the issue is....missing Deni....there is an adjustment to her not being on the team, particularly the podcast and maybe some are not realizing how it is now without her. The past year or two she was Pete's sub host. So there is a hole that needs to be filled there that no one can replace her.

I mean…being a local affects the experience in a lot of ways, and not just in regard to WDW, it’s the same anywhere.

I live just outside of NYC - I haven’t been to the Empire State Building or Statue of Liberty since I was a kid. I know if taking my car into the city is worth it or not based on what neighborhood I’m going into at what time of day and for how long I’ll be there. I know if some dude starts taking his clothes off on the 6 train during rush hour a bunch of seats are about to free up. I don’t stay at the world class hotels because it doesn’t make sense when I can do everything I want to do and then be home within an hour afterward. Yeah, the Rtiz-Carlton is gorgeous, but I’m not going to spend $1k+ Per night to sleep in my backyard? No, probably not.

There are a lot of things that change with proximity and frequency of travel. The distinction may not be as major when discussing non-locals that can afford to fly in multiple times a year, but for the average non-local there are definitely differences. I’m going to prioritize different things than someone that can just pop back in next weekend if they are of a mind too. It’s not a value judgement, but there are definitely differences in perspective.

I previously posted my take. I want to express one more time. I am fine if DIS people do not cover the things local people do not care, IF they want to focus as their audience is local. Anyway, their info is very valuable for both local and non-local. There is no difference for many info they provide. But Some info like Minnie van is very valuable to many non-local people. And those non-local people may not want to listen to DIS podcast if the contents is focused to local audiences. As someone mentioned, DFB covers food, park idea Allears/molly etc.
But some of those site does not have travel agency as sponsors. Actually, DIS is equal to Dreams Unlimited. If Dream Unlimited does not want to have any customers from non-local people, I think it makes sense to make their podcasts or contents to local only. Maybe that's the way things going? - discouraging to use sponsor? (which I highly doubt that it was the intention of the DIS people in podcast).

There's a lot to unpack in this thread and I don't know where to begin. All I do know is my experience as a "Non-Local" more and more revolves around the avoidance of massive crowds. Since Covid especially, I hate huge crowds. The biggest mistake Disney ever made, which is now being resolved, was FP+. It brought the "Locals" in by the droves. Disney makes it's money from "Non-Locals". They typically stay longer, stay at the hotels and typically eat most of their meals on property. When I spend $$$$$ on a vacation for a family of 4, I don't want to spend the majority of my time in clogged parks waiting in lines. I agree with Pete that Disney is also making the park experience with its crowd management way too complicated.

I REALIZE AND KNOW things have changed now, but prior to FP+, our October trip every year, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, People Mover and Small World were all practically walk-ons any time of day. Disney is doing its best to discourage "Locals" from coming with its pricing policy. Reducing crowds and increasing profits is always a good thing though.

We still LOVE Disney and have a trip planned next spring, unfortunately however, our kids who are a little older now when asked, which would you rather do, go to Disney or go skiing, more and more they say skiing.

Last edited:
There's a lot to unpack in this thread and I don't know where to begin. All I do know is my experience as a "Non-Local" more and more revolves around the avoidance of massive crowds. Since Covid especially, I hate huge crowds. The biggest mistake Disney ever made, which is now being resolved, was FP+. It brought the "Locals" in by the droves. Disney makes it's money from "Non-Locals". They typically stay longer, stay at the hotels and typically eat most of their meals on property. When I spend $$$$$ on a vacation for a family of 4, I don't want to spend the majority of my time in clogged parks waiting in lines. I agree with Pete that Disney is also making the park experience with its crowd management way too complicated.

I REALIZE AND KNOW things have changed now, but prior to FP+, our October trip every year, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, People Mover and Small World were all practically walk-ons any time of day. Disney is doing its best to discourage "Locals" from coming with its pricing policy. Reducing crowds and increasing profits is always a good thing though.

We still LOVE Disney and have a trip planned next spring, unfortunately however, our kids who are a little older now when asked, which would you rather do, go to Disney or go skiing, more and more they say skiing.

I consider myself a "local" I live an hour and 20 min from my front door to the gate at any theme park. In 2021 I spent around $4,500 at Disneyworld. The reason Disney likes "non-locals" is because they can closely track how much they spend. Every time you use a Magic Band or charge something to your room Disney can track your spending. Disney can say/tell investors "This quarter we had an average sale to a family (or whatever you are) spend $XXX on a room, $YYY on tickets, $ZZZ on meals and snacks and $QQQ on souvenirs.

As a local, I don't use my Magic Band that way. Heck, I don't even wear it; I just wave it at the tap point at the gate and put it away right after. This is why they consider AP holders "Unfavorables". They can't get an accurate spending report on us. They know I'm spending when I'm there, I have to eat. But they don't know how much I spent. I went up on 8/13 to EPCOT for F&W. I spent $85 on Food, all on my Chase Disney Visa. They don't see me buying is higher end art at the Art of Disney. Yes, I do use my Chase Disney VISA card but because of Chase's privacy policies they don't know who bought that $300 painting of Winnie the Pooh. They have to report how much I spend, but can only report what they know I spent. To do anything else would be a fraud.

Disney is going to report the best numbers they know and can every quarter. If they have to call us "Unfavorables" they will because it makes the people pay $5,000 for a week look much better. What would you rather do, report every quarter on a single family spending $5,000 or saying someone else spent $1,000? Yeah, I may come back but they don't know that and don't know when I will.

There are not many people who are looking for reviews on everything. But for everything Disney offers, there are a lot of people who would like it reviewed. And that is what this website/podcast aims to do, provide information about all things WDW to people. So I don't understand why you would not expect everything at WDW to be reviewed at some point. Doing so, in support of a travel agency, is the entire business case for this site.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter