The DarkSide's not so Dark after all....

I just found your trip report and wanted to say that I loved every second of it! The pictures were amazing and the way you detailed everything was just as great. Honestly, I just have to say this might be the best trip report I have ever read. Kudos to you.

I am heading to Disney on my first solo trip ever but since it's me I am spending two different days at both Universal parks. I purchased the photo connect star package card and was wondering if you could share some details on it. I read your report and the pictures look amazing but I want to make sure I have everything right before I go.

I was told I have to stop at a kiosk photo shop and get a lanyard for the photographers to see my card and then they scan it. I was hoping there is some type of kiosk shop that I could go in before I actually hit the park. Also after every day I think I read you did go to the shops and make sure all your pictures were there. Do you put the borders on yourself or does a member help you? At the ones from Men In Black and Hulk and Spiderman, those are ride photos, how does that exactly work? Must you seek out a cast member after each ride to get those pictures on your card and have them scan it and last question, when you got home I was told and read that you have to download your photos. Did you have any trouble with that and can you download as much as you like. Thanks again and sorry for all the questions.

Wow, that's very humbling. Much thanks for that.

I don't believe there's an external PhotoConnect shop, but there is one right inside of the entrance for both Parks on the right hand side. It took no time at all to get the card and they were open for early entry.

All we did was show them the on-line email confirmation print out we had with barcode and off we went with the card and lanyard! (even though I just put it in the lanyard I already had).

As far as checking the photos and adding borders, the green screen photo Ops like Spidey and the Simpsons and rides like FJ and MiB were all done right there at the ride or green screen kiosk with the help of the TM's staffing them. All of the TM's we encountered were very helpful, btw.

It's very similar to WDW, with the kiosks inside of the giftshops for the ride photos. It was at the FJ counter we also took advantage of the $2.99 8x10 ride photo with the package.

The Simpsons green screen opportunity is not part of the ride, however, and is directly across from the big Krusty entrance on the lagoon side. Fun stuff and not to be missed if you have the Package...

I would suggest checking your photos before the end of the day or right at Park close time - we did the last day and it was the longest line we waited in the whole trip! (won't happen this time...;))

We logged on to the PhotoConnect site and downloaded once we were home (very easy). They also had an app you could download to look at your pictures while in-Park or at the hotel (which we did) but it was very slow. Maybe that's been improved...

One other very important thing for you with your split trip: the PhotoConnect Package timer starts the first day you activate it. For us it was 3 consecutive days. So, if you're planning on spreading out your 2 days at Uni over your full stay, make sure you get your 2 days in within the allotted PhotoConnect time!

I've never done a solo trip, but some of the best times I've had have been during corporate events or corporate business visits to Disney where I've been able to sneak away for a day, half a day, or a few hours in the Parks - really fun not being on any other agenda but your own :thumbsup2

Hope this helps

Wow, that's very humbling. Much thanks for that.

I don't believe there's an external PhotoConnect shop, but there is one right inside of the entrance for both Parks on the right hand side. It took no time at all to get the card and they were open for early entry.

All we did was show them the on-line email confirmation print out we had with barcode and off we went with the card and lanyard! (even though I just put it in the lanyard I already had).

As far as checking the photos and adding borders, the green screen photo Ops like Spidey and the Simpsons and rides like FJ and MiB were all done right there at the ride or green screen kiosk with the help of the TM's staffing them. All of the TM's we encountered were very helpful, btw.

It's very similar to WDW, with the kiosks inside of the giftshops for the ride photos. It was at the FJ counter we also took advantage of the $2.99 8x10 ride photo with the package.

The Simpsons green screen opportunity is not part of the ride, however, and is directly across from the big Krusty entrance on the lagoon side. Fun stuff and not to be missed if you have the Package...

I would suggest checking your photos before the end of the day right at Park close time - we did the last day and it was the longest line we waited in the whole trip! (won't happen this time...;))

We logged on to the PhotoConnect site and downloaded once we were home (very easy). They also had an app you could download to look at your pictures while in-Park or at the hotel (which we did) but it was very slow. Maybe that's been improved...

One other very important thing for you with your split trip: the PhotoConnect Package timer starts the first day you activate it. For us it was 3 consecutive days. So, if you're planning on spreading out your 2 days at Uni over your full stay, make sure you get your 2 days in within the allotted PhotoConnect time!

I've never done a solo trip, but some of the best times I've had have been during corporate events or corporate business visits to Disney where I've been able to sneak away for a day, half a day, or a few hours in the Parks - really fun not being on any other agenda but your own :thumbsup2

Hope this helps

This has been a of help. I do appreciate it. I did know about the photo connect package timer. When I was told by an agent of Universal, I was shocked a little but no biggie. I just changed my plans a little. I intend on going to Universal on a fri and Islands of adventure on a Sunday. So problem solved.

Glad to hear I can get there early and get this taken care of. Someone one said there is one of these internal things around City Walk. My goal is, have to done before park opens and make a bee line for Harry Potter. Since it is me, and I walk pretty fast :) I should be in good shape for Forbidden Journey. Would like to bang that fairly quick.

Walk around Harry Potter maybe do Dueling Dragons etc etc and get some Butterbeer. The way you described it man I am definitely going to try some. Along with a nice mixture of more alcohol beverages later on lol

The thing is I never received an email from them. I ordered online. The only barcode I have is from the back of my ticket. I hope that will be fine with them. I wasn't planning on hitting the simpson's ride but now I will to take advantage of what you are telling me.

Everything you are saying it making so much more sense to me. Making me feel a little relaxed. Actually I will feel so much more relaxed when I land safely in Orlando. :goodvibes

As far as doing the solo, I agree 100%. Being on your own agenda is going to be very cool. I have some ADR'S set for 7, 8 and after 9 pm. A few bars as well lol but it will be nice to have fun. I do thank you for everything and me and you are almost in the same that we are huge planners.

I had booked the trip in August and trust me, almost everything I needed to do was done by September, so your not alone my friend. Well, I promise you, if I have any more questions I know where to find you and I am going back and reading over that report again. Seems like you did all the rides I want to do as well. Very cool and thanks again!

As far as doing the solo, I agree 100%. Being on your own agenda is going to be very cool. I have some ADR'S set for 7, 8 and after 9 pm. A few bars as well lol but it will be nice to have fun. I do thank you for everything and me and you are almost in the same that we are huge planners.

I had booked the trip in August and trust me, almost everything I needed to do was done by September, so your not alone my friend. Well, I promise you, if I have any more questions I know where to find you and I am going back and reading over that report again. Seems like you did all the rides I want to do as well. Very cool and thanks again!
Ask away!

Though I doubt you'll need to. It sounds like a great trip you've really thought out well - have a great time :thumbsup2

Ask away!

Though I doubt you'll need to. It sounds like a great trip you've really thought out well - have a great time :thumbsup2

Maybe I missed it but did you ride Disaster at all? Were there rides that you wanted to do that you didn't get a chance to do? I saw you ride Hollywood R.R.R 4 times. How does the bar lap feel. I have heard conflicting reports on it. Some Say, it is terrifying while some say it doesn't faze them. I also read but not sure is if still exists, but I think Hollywood R.R.R offers a cd of your ride as well. Just thought I ask. Thanks again.

Maybe I missed it but did you ride Disaster at all? Were there rides that you wanted to do that you didn't get a chance to do? I saw you ride Hollywood R.R.R 4 times. How does the bar lap feel. I have heard conflicting reports on it. Some Say, it is terrifying while some say it doesn't faze them. I also read but not sure is if still exists, but I think Hollywood R.R.R offers a cd of your ride as well. Just thought I ask. Thanks again.

Disaster was down for refurb when we were there last year, so we'll be giving that a try this year.

Dr. Doom and Beetlejuice are the 2 at the top of the list along with Ripsaw Falls for things we didn't do. Winds were too high when we went over to Dr Doom and the other 2 were down for refurb.

There was a lot more down for refurb last Jan compared to this month.....

RRR's restraint is snug but one that I had no probs with it. Just make sure you start punching your music in quickly. you only have about 10 seconds before it locks down.

It's one of my favorite 'coasters because it's so unique - the music really adds to the experience. Plus, the 90 degree lift-off is pretty amazing at night with the lights :thumbsup2

I'm a 'coaster junkie, but what I've found is that they (more than any other ride-type) have to be individually experienced since it's amazing how they can generate such wide ranges of opinion even with those who love to ride them....

Disaster was down for refurb when we were there last year, so we'll be giving that a try this year.

Dr. Doom and Beetlejuice are the 2 at the top of the list along with Ripsaw Falls for things we didn't do. Winds were too high when we went over to Dr Doom and the other 2 were down for refurb.

There was a lot more down for refurb last Jan compared to this month.....

RRR's restraint is snug but one that I had no probs with it. Just make sure you start punching your music in quickly. you only have about 10 seconds before it locks down.

It's one of my favorite 'coasters because it's so unique - the music really adds to the experience. Plus, the 90 degree lift-off is pretty amazing at night with the lights :thumbsup2

I'm a 'coaster junkie, but what I've found is that they (more than any other ride-type) have to be individually experienced since it's amazing how they can generate such wide ranges of opinion even with those who love to ride them....

Thanks for the information. There is a lot I have planned but I am going to see where the day takes me. In other words, I am not going to rush around lol H'Wood R.R.R is something I think I am going to have to try myself like you said. Maybe just for the experience. Did you see any of the live entertainment they offered at Harry Potter at all? I know they have the Triwizard thing where people from the schools that they had in episode 4 or 5 I believe perform.

Thanks for the information. There is a lot I have planned but I am going to see where the day takes me. In other words, I am not going to rush around lol H'Wood R.R.R is something I think I am going to have to try myself like you said. Maybe just for the experience. Did you see any of the live entertainment they offered at Harry Potter at all? I know they have the Triwizard thing where people from the schools that they had in episode 4 or 5 I believe perform.

The Frog Choir was really Good stuff...!

I have another question, so I hope you don't mind. I both days I am going to Universal. One is a Friday and then other is a Sunday. I do plan on hitting Harry Potter areas both first. With that said, do think it wise to do them first or do I risk it and save them for later in the day? Also what time do the characters usually come out? Are they out as soon as the park opens and would you know where I can find Scooby Doo and Shaggy by chance? Thanks again.

I have another question, so I hope you don't mind. I both days I am going to Universal. One is a Friday and then other is a Sunday. I do plan on hitting Harry Potter areas both first. With that said, do think it wise to do them first or do I risk it and save them for later in the day? Also what time do the characters usually come out? Are they out as soon as the park opens and would you know where I can find Scooby Doo and Shaggy by chance? Thanks again.

Depending on what time you get there first is always good. If you don't have EE or arrive after Park opening, the wait times also seem much better for FJ and Gringotts the last hour of the Parks being open, from what most have said and what the sites like TP have shown.

You know, on the characters, we saw them out at all different times, Shaggy and Scooby we caught in front of the Horror Make-up Show, Doc was by the Aladdin Apts, Shrek right at the Theatre exit, Lucy and Betty Boop were just walking down the street heading towards Lucy's Show.

And the Blues Mobile came down the street from Transformers and parked right there in the middle of the street before the Blues Brother Stage.

If there's a rhyme or reason as to when they appear, it wasn't obvious....

the performance times for the Blues Brothers are listed in the park brochure.
times can change based on day of the week or season.

Depending on what time you get there first is always good. If you don't have EE or arrive after Park opening, the wait times also seem much better for FJ and Gringotts the last hour of the Parks being open, from what most have said and what the sites like TP have shown.

You know, on the characters, we saw them out at all different times, Shaggy and Scooby we caught in front of the Horror Make-up Show, Doc was by the Aladdin Apts, Shrek right at the Theatre exit, Lucy and Betty Boop were just walking down the street heading towards Lucy's Show.

And the Blues Mobile came down the street from Transformers and parked right there in the middle of the street before the Blues Brother Stage.

If there's a rhyme or reason as to when they appear, it wasn't obvious....

Thanks again for the great information. Really appreciate it.

the performance times for the Blues Brothers are listed in the park brochure.
times can change based on day of the week or season.
Good catch!

Me being obtuse again. It's the roaming characters I didn't sense any rhyme, reason, or general order as to when they appeared...

We seemed to get very lucky with the Blues Brothers sched last time there. We caught their full act the last day and parts of them each day without checking the sched. Which was great, 'cause they're good.....

I was curious to know if you had purchased the express pass and if so did you think it was worth the extra dough. Just read a thread on dis, and a lady compared the new fast pass and express pass. She said the express pass is so much easier to use and after your done with a ride, you can immediately go right back on that ride. I know she mentioned the HP rides not having this feature but that's is understandable. Just thought I might ask if it is worth to buy.

I was curious to know if you had purchased the express pass and if so did you think it was worth the extra dough. Just read a thread on dis, and a lady compared the new fast pass and express pass. She said the express pass is so much easier to use and after your done with a ride, you can immediately go right back on that ride. I know she mentioned the HP rides not having this feature but that's is understandable. Just thought I might ask if it is worth to buy.

We were on-site at PBH, so EP was included. As far as worth it, we won't ever go back without it. It really was just about the main reason it was such a relaxing, no touring plan, vacation.

However, since you're going down as a single, you have more options and flexibility than we did/do as a family of 4, single rider lines, etc. I'd look at the time of year you're going and the cost of the EP add-on. If it's really cheap, you probably don't need it as a single. If it's more expensive, that's a higher crowd day and maybe more necessary depending on what rides and how many times you want to ride in your alloted timeframe....

We were on-site at PBH, so EP was included. As far as worth it, we won't ever go back without it. It really was just about the main reason it was such a relaxing, no touring plan, vacation.

However, since you're going down as a single, you have more options and flexibility than we did/do as a family of 4, single rider lines, etc. I'd look at the time of year you're going and the cost of the EP add-on. If it's really cheap, you probably don't need it as a single. If it's more expensive, that's a higher crowd day and maybe more necessary depending on what rides and how many times you want to ride in your alloted timeframe....

I think since this is my first time and being that I will be solo I am not going to get it. I thank you for the information again.

I think since this is my first time and being that I will be solo I am not going to get it. I thank you for the information again.

Have an awesome trip and make sure you report back to everyone! Doing a split trip as a solo while staying at WDW you'll probably end up with some good pointers for everyone else thinking of doing the same.....

Have an awesome trip and make sure you report back to everyone! Doing a split trip as a solo while staying at WDW you'll probably end up with some good pointers for everyone else thinking of doing the same.....

Thanks and will do. Not sure if I do a trip report it will be anything as good as yours. A couple people want me to do one not sure I will follow threw, we'll see and thanks again!

Me again, with one question. What time should I get to the Photo Connect center to look over my pictures and did you do that every day you spent at the park? Park is closing both days I am going at 7 PM. Hope that helps and thanks again. I owe you a case of beer for all these questions. :thumbsup2

Great TR. I can't wait for the next one.

Much thanks!

We're here now and I'm definitely going to have to learn a few new adjectives before doing another one. DA is that amazing....

Me again, with one question. What time should I get to the Photo Connect center to look over my pictures and did you do that every day you spent at the park? Park is closing both days I am going at 7 PM. Hope that helps and thanks again. I owe you a case of beer for all these questions. :thumbsup2

Hah!

I've never been known to turn one of those down...;)

We used the app to check the pics the first day, and checked mid day on the 2nd. It was the last day that we checked right at park close when the line was long. Kinda silly since we only had one ride photo and maybe one photog photo in the last few hours, so we could have avoided all that. I'd play it by ear based on if you've checked during the day...

We activate ours tomorrow for this trip

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter