The DarkSide's not so Dark after all....

Only on pg 5 of your report so far but just had to stop to say how much I am enjoying it! I have booked the Hard Rock Hotel for May 2015 and am so excited for Express Passes.

We are Disney geeks and I am trying to convince DH to try the Dark Side. He is not 100% convinced yet. He is a little nervous because he gets a little motion sick sometimes. He can handle motion simulators, but worried about too many in a row and the rides there seem to be mostly simulators. He will definitely be skipping all the big coasters.

Only on pg 5 of your report so far but just had to stop to say how much I am enjoying it! I have booked the Hard Rock Hotel for May 2015 and am so excited for Express Passes.

We are Disney geeks and I am trying to convince DH to try the Dark Side. He is not 100% convinced yet. He is a little nervous because he gets a little motion sick sometimes. He can handle motion simulators, but worried about too many in a row and the rides there seem to be mostly simulators. He will definitely be skipping all the big coasters.

Very glad you're enjoying it!

You probably saw in the TR that DW had some issues. But, it seemed not so much to be the Simulators, but a combo of what she ate (or drank - looking at you Butterbeer...!) and the 'coasters.

Hulk and Dragons' Challenge did her in. She had no trouble riding Transformers multiple times or the Simpsons, for that matter.

Early, when she did FJ, followed by DC, followed by Spidey, followed by Hulk - big issue after having downed that "elixir of the gods" known as Butterbeer.

Everybody's different, but how quickly we were able to ride and how many times in a row because of Express Pass (and that drink) seemed to be the perfect storm for her.

When we slowed down and took it easy in the afternoons, she had not one problem. So, if he just takes it easy, with time in between rides, it should help tremendously if he hasn't had that much trouble with simulators before.....

Just finding your TR as I begin planning for our first trip to the park-who-shall-not-be-named in June 2015. The most important thing I am learning is that I have a lot of new acronyms to learn. And that we should really consider staying onsite....

Thanks for the great report!

Just finding your TR as I begin planning for our first trip to the park-who-shall-not-be-named in June 2015. The most important thing I am learning is that I have a lot of new acronyms to learn. And that we should really consider staying onsite....

Thanks for the great report!

My pleasure!

Definitely consider on-site if you can work it into your plans. The convenience and quality of the Resorts really ups the enjoyment and relaxation levels.

Wow, really enjoyed reading the TR and ur perspective on it all. Have never been....Disney Addicted for so long, jumping ship almost makes me feel guilty, lol. Now planning a short January visit. Thanks for all the tips. Enjoy ur next visit, look forward to that TR.

Wow, really enjoyed reading the TR and ur perspective on it all. Have never been....Disney Addicted for so long, jumping ship almost makes me feel guilty, lol. Now planning a short January visit. Thanks for all the tips. Enjoy ur next visit, look forward to that TR.

My better half is coming up with a set of TR Ground Rules for me.

I'm guessing that Rule #1 is going to have something to do with her having full editorial control over any pictures.

I'm not sure I can work under that level of censorship........

Still reading thru your TP - lots of great stuff and we will certainly use your advice!

We are headed there for the first time this coming Tuesday morning; bought AP's and will be staying at Royal Pacific thru Monday the 5th.

Our plan is to not have a plan at all - just returned from a couple of weeks at WDW earlier this month and looking forward to going somewhere without having to take a spreadsheet :)

Still reading thru your TP - lots of great stuff and we will certainly use your advice!

We are headed there for the first time this coming Tuesday morning; bought AP's and will be staying at Royal Pacific thru Monday the 5th.

Our plan is to not have a plan at all - just returned from a couple of weeks at WDW earlier this month and looking forward to going somewhere without having to take a spreadsheet :)

I think we need a t-shirt: "I'm on the No Plan Plan". Let's pop a trademark on that. You're going to love that NPP part, no doubt.

Looks like we'll just miss by 2 weeks. We're down on the 19th and at RPH, as well. And this is also our first time with UOR AP's - really couldn't pass it up since it's such a great deal.

I had figured a couple of days for maybe a WDW side trip, or at least a day at Blizzard Beach.

But, that was before we decided on the AP's for the hotel savings. I get the feeling DW is going to settle right into relax mode and we won't get into a moving transportation vehicle all week unless it's the Hogwart's Express, or a Pedicab, or one of the resort boats.

And, that's absolutely fine by me......;)

We have decided to plan a totally spur of the moment COMPLETE surprise trip for the kids leaving 1/11-1/16, rather than the spring break trip we had promised them. I am SO excited! I read back through your TR for ideas and planning. I love that we have not one single reservation (other than the HRH room!). We are most certainly planning on Cowfish one night after hearing rave reviews about the Charlotte location, and will likely try The Kitchen and Mama Della's, too, per your great recs. I'm hoping it's warm enough for the boys, at least, to get in the pool, too. I debated upgrading to a regular annual pass for an additional room discount, but I think we will stick with power passes, which we can hopefully use one more time before they expire.

We have decided to plan a totally spur of the moment COMPLETE surprise trip for the kids leaving 1/11-1/16, rather than the spring break trip we had promised them. I am SO excited! I read back through your TR for ideas and planning. I love that we have not one single reservation (other than the HRH room!). We are most certainly planning on Cowfish one night after hearing rave reviews about the Charlotte location, and will likely try The Kitchen and Mama Della's, too, per your great recs. I'm hoping it's warm enough for the boys, at least, to get in the pool, too. I debated upgrading to a regular annual pass for an additional room discount, but I think we will stick with power passes, which we can hopefully use one more time before they expire.

We can't wait to try Cowfish, either. Antojito's is high on the list, as well.

The new additions at CityWalk are the main reasons why I'm ok with RPH this trip instead of going back to PBH. Can't beat the dinner choices in walking distance, that's for sure.

Gonna have to make it back to Mamma Della's, though - really good stuff :thumbsup2

And isn't it great heading into it with nothing but a room ressie! Have a great trip and that's an excellent way to bring about a surprise - moving up the trip.

I'll have to remember that....

Had a fun day reading your report. Laughed out loud at your resort/teen comparison at end. I have tried for years to get my DD and 2 GDs to go to Universal but couldn't pry them loose from WDW. Am planning to go in February. It first started out with me "sneaking" away by myself to US from WDW for a day. Now we are going to be staying at RPR for 4 nights before traveling to BC at WDW. We have never been to US before. (live in state of Washington) My 16 year old GD is going kicking and screaming. She just told me yesterday that RPR is going to have to prove itself. Glad to see you think that is the most Disney-esk.

One small question -I believe that I read somewhere a while back that liquids (full water bottles) are not allowed in the parks. I'm a pill poppin 70 yr old that enjoys the convenience of the bottles. Did you notice if this is true?

Since we will be there 2nd week in February, am afraid we will not be able to benefit from your next report. Unless you start it on the plane home. hmmmm?:rolleyes1

Great post! I feel as if tomorrow I am leaving for the dark side tomorrow and bought the season pass(hubby's idea) But no worries I will still use my WDW annual pass more! . I even packed my Mickey backpack to make me feel a bit better! Wish me luck, I love the roller coasters at universal but it's nothing like Mickey!

Had a fun day reading your report. Laughed out loud at your resort/teen comparison at end. I have tried for years to get my DD and 2 GDs to go to Universal but couldn't pry them loose from WDW. Am planning to go in February. It first started out with me "sneaking" away by myself to US from WDW for a day. Now we are going to be staying at RPR for 4 nights before traveling to BC at WDW. We have never been to US before. (live in state of Washington) My 16 year old GD is going kicking and screaming. She just told me yesterday that RPR is going to have to prove itself. Glad to see you think that is the most Disney-esk.

One small question -I believe that I read somewhere a while back that liquids (full water bottles) are not allowed in the parks. I'm a pill poppin 70 yr old that enjoys the convenience of the bottles. Did you notice if this is true?

Since we will be there 2nd week in February, am afraid we will not be able to benefit from your next report. Unless you start it on the plane home. hmmmm?:rolleyes1

We took water bottles in last trip. So, no problems there.

And I'l be shocked if your GD doesn't have a blast. 16 is such a fun age, don't you think?

I remember when my 16 year-old cousin came to visit us in Jax in the 70's and we went to MK. He'd never been but didn't want to be caught dead in that "kiddie park".

Of course he had the time of his life and has been back at least 50 times.

I'm sure she will too.....

Have a great time and report back!

"Do we cower in bed, pull the curtains, and wait it out..?!!! No! We live on a frickin' spit of sand 30 miles out in the middle of the Atlantic! Bathing suits for the kiddos, wet gear for the adults and off to the boat!"

I loved this statement! My family will be following this same logic when we head to U in March.

Thank you for making my afternoon.

"Do we cower in bed, pull the curtains, and wait it out..?!!! No! We live on a frickin' spit of sand 30 miles out in the middle of the Atlantic! Bathing suits for the kiddos, wet gear for the adults and off to the boat!"

I loved this statement! My family will be following this same logic when we head to U in March.

Thank you for making my afternoon.

My pleasure

And I see from your location you also understand that the 2 most important things when it comes to the weather are the right gear and a sense of humor :thumbsup2

Just got back last night; we got there last Tuesday, checked into RPR around 3pm, got our AP and EP vouchers and decided to check out the parks that night in order to formulate a strategy for the next few days.

Silly us. We were thinking like we were at WDW.

Turns out we got a heck of a lot done just the first night. Funny thing, the first attraction we just about walked on was Spider Man. DS9 was hooked after that, and we hadn't even done Harry Potter yet. He thought USO blew away anything at WDW based on Spider Man alone.

The resort was great, definitely what you would expect from a "deluxe" but at a moderate price. We didn't do any sort of dining plan and were pleased that the food prices were reasonable at both the resorts and City Walk.

Can't beat Express Pass. We kept commenting to each other how that's what FastPass should have been.

And the Harry Potter stuff - simply incredible. I hope they continue to crank out future attractions with that level of intricate detail and complex experience immersion. Because it definitely looks like they are building something huge across from the Jurassic Park area.

Just got back last night; we got there last Tuesday, checked into RPR around 3pm, got our AP and EP vouchers and decided to check out the parks that night in order to formulate a strategy for the next few days.

Silly us. We were thinking like we were at WDW.

Turns out we got a heck of a lot done just the first night. Funny thing, the first attraction we just about walked on was Spider Man. DS9 was hooked after that, and we hadn't even done Harry Potter yet. He thought USO blew away anything at WDW based on Spider Man alone.

The resort was great, definitely what you would expect from a "deluxe" but at a moderate price. We didn't do any sort of dining plan and were pleased that the food prices were reasonable at both the resorts and City Walk.

Can't beat Express Pass. We kept commenting to each other how that's what FastPass should have been.

And the Harry Potter stuff - simply incredible. I hope they continue to crank out future attractions with that level of intricate detail and complex experience immersion. Because it definitely looks like they are building something huge across from the Jurassic Park area.

So glad you had an awesome time :thumbsup2

It's not bad for a trumped up amusement park, don't you think...;)

And I know what you mean. 13 days until our 2nd trip in a year and I'm still thinking I should be planning something. You'd think I'd have gotten that out of my system by now.

Cutting edge quality, immersion and great Resorts - it's tough to beat for a relaxing vacation.

Not surprising that there's suddenly a lot of "activity" down I-4 without a lot of dog and pony. I just hope it's good activity and not just for show because it's just hard for me not to feel that I'm getting so much more return on my vacation dollar at UOR right now.

I know the boys sure feel that they are...

Not surprising that there's suddenly a lot of "activity" down I-4 without a lot of dog and pony. I just hope it's good activity and not just for show because it's just hard for me not to feel that I'm getting so much more return on my vacation dollar at UOR right now.

I know the boys sure feel that they are...

I was really surprised at the number of guests in both parks wearing WDW MagicBands. Struck up a conversation with some of them, the consensus was pretty much the same - EP was much better than FP. In fact, they were in Universal parks because they had used their 3 FP's and were only left with hours long standby lines.

Even talked to a couple who had annual passes but paid an additional $140 each for unlimited EP for ONE day. They were staying at Pop Century, paying more than we paid for RPR. They were a bit upset when I explained how we got EP for every day of our stay.

But I think the simple reason for the success of EP is that they DO charge people for it if they aren't staying on-site. And they charge enough to control demand.

I was really surprised at the number of guests in both parks wearing WDW MagicBands. Struck up a conversation with some of them, the consensus was pretty much the same - EP was much better than FP. In fact, they were in Universal parks because they had used their 3 FP's and were only left with hours long standby lines.

Even talked to a couple who had annual passes but paid an additional $140 each for unlimited EP for ONE day. They were staying at Pop Century, paying more than we paid for RPR. They were a bit upset when I explained how we got EP for every day of our stay.

But I think the simple reason for the success of EP is that they DO charge people for it if they aren't staying on-site. And they charge enough to control demand.

Wow.

Who would've thought you didn't need a 100 mil McKinsey study to figure out guests at a Theme Park wanna ride Rides....?!

Takes me back to the first time I read that Patent App you discovered. All I could think was - interesting idea - if you doubled high demand capacity.........

I just found your trip report and wanted to say that I loved every second of it! The pictures were amazing and the way you detailed everything was just as great. Honestly, I just have to say this might be the best trip report I have ever read. Kudos to you.

I am heading to Disney on my first solo trip ever but since it's me I am spending two different days at both Universal parks. I purchased the photo connect star package card and was wondering if you could share some details on it. I read your report and the pictures look amazing but I want to make sure I have everything right before I go.

I was told I have to stop at a kiosk photo shop and get a lanyard for the photographers to see my card and then they scan it. I was hoping there is some type of kiosk shop that I could go in before I actually hit the park. Also after every day I think I read you did go to the shops and make sure all your pictures were there. Do you put the borders on yourself or does a member help you? At the ones from Men In Black and Hulk and Spiderman, those are ride photos, how does that exactly work? Must you seek out a cast member after each ride to get those pictures on your card and have them scan it and last question, when you got home I was told and read that you have to download your photos. Did you have any trouble with that and can you download as much as you like. Thanks again and sorry for all the questions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter