The DIS Dad's Club XII: Oh... There You Are Perry!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe we are playing each other this week. Two undefeated teams with a big matchup. Too bad your high scorer this week will not be playing. :rolleyes1

Luckily I'm deep at WR....And Running Back...And Quarterback. Tight End, not so much......

Just remember the name Eric Decker.....

Cheers,
Indy

So have you guys seen the latest news?

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/09/avatar-coming-to-disney-parks/

Still processing this one. Adding a new "land" to the Animal Kingdom was part of Disney's plan from the beginning. Originally it was supposed to be the Beastly Kingdom and focus on mythical creatures. So making it like Avatar kinda fits with that.

I was kind of "meh" on the movie, but the visuals and special effects were amazing, and could make for an incredible theme park experience. As long as I don't have to cheer for the extermination of my own species. :rotfl:

So what do you guys think?

I'm weirded out by it, actually. I'm confused how this "land" fits into Animal Kingdom, and though there are two sequels, it's not like this film has made a huge impact on pop culture moreso than any other "blockbuster" in past several years. It would make more sense, IMO to expand the Star Wars brand in the parks. If they're hellbent on getting a new "Potter-esque" land into the park, I don't know why they haven't been doing everything to woo Peter Jackson and drop a Hobbit Hole and a Tower of Barad-dur in every park. At least that'd be based on a Fantasy series that's stood the test of time.

On the other hand, Avatar was just Pocahontas with Blue People as the Indians and the White Guys as, well, White Guys, so maybe it is a good fit in the Disney lexicon.

Cheers,
Indy

:woohoo::cool1::banana: party:

Sorry, I already have a nemesis. Beat him last week. :yay:

I beat my nemesis in week 1 thanks to P. Manning #1 pick. Thanks, Dave.

Curse you Captain Oblivious!!!!!

Ummmm, yeah. Let's see, 2-0 and by a grand total of 4.85 + 0.6 = 5.45!!!

Talk about squeaking it out!

Keep this up and I'll fill your facebook page with drivel. :rotfl2:

I'll help. He did sit more scoring points than I. Is that enough drivel.

Still processing this one. Adding a new "land" to the Animal Kingdom was part of Disney's plan from the beginning. Originally it was supposed to be the Beastly Kingdom and focus on mythical creatures. So making it like Avatar kinda fits with that.

I was kind of "meh" on the movie, but the visuals and special effects were amazing, and could make for an incredible theme park experience. As long as I don't have to cheer for the extermination of my own species. :rotfl:

I have always found AK lacking. It is such a big park, but not many attractions. I am glad to see it.

I believe we are playing each other this week. Two undefeated teams with a big matchup. Too bad your high scorer this week will not be playing. :rolleyes1

Y'all are in our thoughts and prayers.

Praying everything goes ok for her, Dave! :thumbsup2

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

:rotfl2: Glad I'm not the only one! I can't help it that old broken down 9 year old recliner is sooo comfortable!!

I'm pretty pumped about it! I actually really enjoyed the movie (kinda a sci-fi nut).

I think, for me, it will make AK a little more enticing....maybe even a full day park.

I'm curious to know what all they have planned...I'm sure we'll find out in the weeks to come. :thumbsup2

I'll be praying all the way from Minnesota for you and Tammy, Dave :grouphug:

thanks guys!

Dave be sure to tell TAmmy that Shari and I are praying for her and will be waiting to hear godo results tomorrow!!

Have any o fyou Dad ever done a "Truck or Treat"? We never have but we are going to do one with the church this year and I need ideas to decorate the car/van/suv and costume ideas...

well, tomorrows the day. i have to take tammy back to philly for her mri to see what the spot was on her brain. we are hoping, as the doctors are thinking, its just scar tissue from her radiation treatment. not sure if they can tell what it is by an mri but im guessing they want to make sure it hasnt grown. shes not having head aches and or seizures so we are hoping for the best. her mri is at 7:30 and the doctor at 10:30. we are both a bundle of nerves at this point. hopefully we will be able to sleep tonight. she had her stereotactic radiation treatment last september. by december of last year, the tumor shrunk and had little holes in it.(the dr. showed us the before and after mris.) when we went back in may, the tumor had shrunk even more, they didnt think it would shrink that much. but, there is a little spot on her brain now. both doctors she sees said the are pretty sure its from the radiation treatment. she this is were we are at. hopeing for the best tomorrow!!!!

Good luck... praying for you.

Hmmmm... Avatar.... Disney... isn't that Pocohontas?

well, tomorrows the day. i have to take tammy back to philly for her mri to see what the spot was on her brain. we are hoping, as the doctors are thinking, its just scar tissue from her radiation treatment. not sure if they can tell what it is by an mri but im guessing they want to make sure it hasnt grown. shes not having head aches and or seizures so we are hoping for the best. her mri is at 7:30 and the doctor at 10:30. we are both a bundle of nerves at this point. hopefully we will be able to sleep tonight. she had her stereotactic radiation treatment last september. by december of last year, the tumor shrunk and had little holes in it.(the dr. showed us the before and after mris.) when we went back in may, the tumor had shrunk even more, they didnt think it would shrink that much. but, there is a little spot on her brain now. both doctors she sees said the are pretty sure its from the radiation treatment. she this is were we are at. hopeing for the best tomorrow!!!!

Good vibes to you and your DW (with a prayer or two as well.)

I'll withhold judgement until I see what they're going to do with it. I watched Avatar, but wasn't really crazy about it.:confused3

AK needs something, but I've got to say this is a bit of a head scratcher. I'd probably rather have seen something original from WDI in the form of the Beastly Kingdom, but I'm sure they can do something great with Avatar.

Luckily I'm deep at WR....And Running Back...And Quarterback. Tight End, not so much......

Just remember the name Eric Decker.....

Cheers,
Indy
I could probably help you out at RB if you can help me out at WR... :rolleyes1

Wow how did they come up with this, IMO it would go better in HS:confused3 Or better yet maybe in a 5th park with the $4 Billion worth of Marvel comic characters:confused3. It's probably why I don't make the big bucks:lmao:

My wife brought something up yesterday that really made me think:scratchin She reminded me that I did not go to any car shows this year and we also didn't do any parades with my son that I would have made a float:confused3

Well the truth is for the car shows, I have over 275 tropheys in the 20+ yrs I've been to the shows , I'm just burned out I've won just about anything I can win, there is just no challenge being the compitition for so long:confused3

The parade with my son I'm pretty much in the same boat, after winning time and time again it's just not that fun anymore:confused3

I think my next venture after the successful wins at Gift Auctions in the last year , is to go to some higher stake ones and see what I can do, already lined 2 up and got ticks for Oct:woohoo:

As far as the Car Shows in the next couple of years my son will most likely want to go and understand about the cars more:confused3 After being out of the loop for a few years, see if I can make a top finish come back as a Father & Son team:goodvibes

I would rather see this idea at Hollywood studios. I feel the same way you do about the movie. I would like to see something else added to AK with a Wooden Roller Coaster!:cool1:

Thanks guys.

just got back from the ER. Nine hours. Not fun. She saw a neuro guy. Her right eye does not move to the right very well causing the double vision. Many "look this way" things. Then they POKED HER EYE with a Q-tip to see how it moves around. I almost lost it there. They were encouraged that it moved well when they poked it.

They ordered an MRI to rule out a tumor. They will have the results tomorrow or Tuesday. If that comes out OK they have to do a spinal tap to measure pressure and if there is an infection.

Doc, she suffers from migraines but according to her, the pain is in different places. She was sick with a bad cold and they think that might have caused something with the nerve.

Just waiting to see what is next. She is in good hands. Bascom-Palmer is one of the top eye places in the country. Thanks again for the thoughts and prayers.

Prayers going out from our house to yours!

My DW has an MRI on Thursday and her first visit with a radiation oncologist on Monday. She's feeling a little better some days but now she's nervous about the prospect of having radiation treatments.

Welcome new Dads!

David and the Blue Angels will be in Norfolk this weekend. Anyone going?

Up early for a follow-up visit to the eye doctor this morning. Her eye is improving but not much. Headaches are not as bad. I'll let you know how the visit goes. Dave and Mike hope things go well.

Have a good day everyone.

In regard to Avatar, if they come up with a way that you can ride those sweet fighting robot suits...I'm in:lmao::lmao:

Hope all you guys with health and family issues find today to be better than yesterday:goodvibes

I was supposed to go to the doctor about my ankle today, but got a call from the Ortho clinic after they got my X Ray saying "yeah, um, we want to reschedule you so our ankle expert can come up from Orlando to look at this".
:eek::eek:

I guess it's another Vicodin fantasy day on the couch~!

Up early for a follow-up visit to the eye doctor this morning. Her eye is improving but not much. Headaches are not as bad. I'll let you know how the visit goes. Dave and Mike hope things go well.

Have a good day everyone.

We’ll be keeping everyone in our thought and prayers.

Ain’t it about time for all this mess to be clearing up?
I do believe that this group has had more then its fair share.

Speaking of which…

In regard to Avatar, if they come up with a way that you can ride those sweet fighting robot suits...I'm in:lmao::lmao:

Hope all you guys with health and family issues find today to be better than yesterday:goodvibes

I was supposed to go to the doctor about my ankle today, but got a call from the Ortho clinic after they got my X Ray saying "yeah, um, we want to reschedule you so our ankle expert can come up from Orlando to look at this".
:eek::eek:

I guess it's another Vicodin fantasy day on the couch~!

Son… you must’a busted it real good if they want to bring in their gunslinger. On the up side, maybe this Doc will put it back together right the first time. Trust me… that would be a good thing.

Morning guys :thumbsup2

‘Morning Dave

Really? Avatar? Hummmmm… AK certainly need some updates, but this seem an odd fit (although I though how y’all tied it back to Pocahontas was quit insightful). I think I’ll wait and see what the Imagineers actually have in mind before I say yah or nay (they usually exceed everyone’s expectations anyway).

Wishing good health and quick recoveries for everyone here and their families, who are facing health challenges right now.

As for Avatar land, I jokingly suggested that it should replace Dinoland, as they are at about the same level of not-fitting-in-visually. But who knows? These Disney folks can be pretty good about this sort of thing. I guess they have room at AK, and it fits the whole eco-friendly, at-one-with-nature theme of the movie, but it seems like it might be placed away from the other parts of the park, like Rafiki's Planet Watch is now. Get on a ride vehicle, get transported to another world... it would be a little less jarring, I think, than just walking over a bridge into an alien landscape.

Oh, and Fed, I saw this story and thought about that fishing trip with your son you mentioned here. Slightly larger critter: Gator

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter