The Dis Goes to Italy 5/24 - 6/1/2012 Viva Italia!!!!

Sitting in Philadelphia waiting for our last connection.

Looking forward to being home, but already miss Italy.

I'm really back home...I've been doing nothing but laundry all day. Someone please take me back to Italy...

Laundry is such a drag. The pile was so giant I couldn't open the doors to the laundry without moving it. That's when you know things have gotten out of control!

Coming back home to the real world is definitely the hardest part about a great vacation!

Sayhello

That's why you start planning a new one straight away! December 15, 2013 Backstage Magic! Anyone, anyone?????

Sitting in Philadelphia waiting for our last connection.

Looking forward to being home, but already miss Italy.

You're almost home! :banana:

Whoever thought it was a good idea for me to take an all day job on Monday was plainly an idiot. Oh, wait a minute. That was me. :cutie: So I've gotten my usual post vacation cold, which is awesome. I've done my pile 'ol laundry before it collapsed on someone and killed them and uploaded my photos. Need to wait on the CD though before true scrapping can start. But the ideas are swirling!

So the highlight for my trip was racing through the Germany airport with John and Micki thinking, wow, when she wants to that little woman can really make time! :rotfl: Thanks for the Cokes, John. You're a life saver! :hug: Okay, that really wasn't the highlight of the trip. Though it was impressive. But there were so many highlights I can't seem to pick one. Everyone keeps asking what my favorite part was and I start naming 50 things. I have kind of built the Dove/Holy Spirit story up pretty good though. I can bring down the house with that one! And Christina yelling at the people in line was awesome. And the Pope was Super Totally Awesome Coolio. I think I saved about $100 bucks on water for Jeri in Rome, so also awesome! The tomatoes were really good too. :laughing: Can someone else pick a favorite part so I can just use theirs and have a short answer? That would be great, super helpful!

One awesome thing since we came home. The cats really missed us and finally, after a year and a half, got in the bed with us for the first time. I guess absence really does make the heart grow fonder! :cloud9:

Yeah, I'm a dork for my cats. What can ya do? :love:

We are at the Venice train station, waiting on our train to Milan, and then on to Lugano. We just said goodbye to Marco, who is taking a train home, so he rode on the water taxi here.

I'm sorry for the absence of photos but Internet coverage has been pretty spotty in Venice and the hotel's prices for Wi/fi were insane, more on that later, when I have a full keyboard.

While, as Pete said on the podcast (to which I have only partly listened) there are "opportunities", our guides couldn't have been nicer and more helpful. As you can imagine, this group put them through an experience and a half.

Having to look out for ourselves the next few days will be an adjustment. Today, fitting the mood, is a grey overcast day; it is very humid.

The weather on this trip could not have been better, a bit warm at times, but I will take that over cold and rainy. I hope it clears up for those who are Staying in Venice for a few more days.

Hope the rest of your trip was terrific! The weather in Venice remained warm and increasingly humid. It was overcast in the mornings and evenings, but it never rained, which was awesome. I am in love with Rome and Florence, but I want to marry Venice. It was great to have the extra days to soak it all in. We saw the Klimt exhibit and I made it to the Fortuny Museum as well, but there are many things still on my Venice to-do list.

I'm really back home...I've been doing nothing but laundry all day. Someone please take me back to Italy...

No kidding! I'm going to continue to say "allora" even though I'm back on US soil. It's my new favorite word and I would like to at least pretend I am still there. I would get on a plane going back in a heartbeat if someone offered me the opportunity.

Welcome back!!
We so miss Italia!!!!!

What an incredible time we had, and I know I am not prepared for the shock of entering my real life after the dreamworld of Venice.

Laundry is such a drag. The pile was so giant I couldn't open the doors to the laundry without moving it. That's when you know things have gotten out of control!

Whoever thought it was a good idea for me to take an all day job on Monday was plainly an idiot. Oh, wait a minute. That was me. :cutie: So I've gotten my usual post vacation cold, which is awesome. I've done my pile 'ol laundry before it collapsed on someone and killed them and uploaded my photos. Need to wait on the CD though before true scrapping can start. But the ideas are swirling!

So the highlight for my trip was racing through the Germany airport with John and Micki thinking, wow, when she wants to that little woman can really make time! :rotfl: Thanks for the Cokes, John. You're a life saver! :hug: Okay, that really wasn't the highlight of the trip. Though it was impressive. But there were so many highlights I can't seem to pick one. Everyone keeps asking what my favorite part was and I start naming 50 things. I have kind of built the Dove/Holy Spirit story up pretty good though. I can bring down the house with that one! And Christina yelling at the people in line was awesome. And the Pope was Super Totally Awesome Coolio. I think I saved about $100 bucks on water for Jeri in Rome, so also awesome! The tomatoes were really good too. :laughing: Can someone else pick a favorite part so I can just use theirs and have a short answer? That would be great, super helpful!

One awesome thing since we came home. The cats really missed us and finally, after a year and a half, got in the bed with us for the first time. I guess absence really does make the heart grow fonder! :cloud9:

Yeah, I'm a dork for my cats. What can ya do? :love:

So glad to hear the cats are expressing their appreciation in a snuggly way! Maybe you can put off getting that third cat...You obviously do need to continue scheduling these trips periodically. December 2013 is very tempting.

I am like you in that there are so many things that I loved about this trip that I don't have a gestalt concise description yet. I can't wait to see your scrapbook pages!!!

I got up super early this morning and walked around between 6 and 7 am just to have one last taste of the magic. It was beautiful out in the piazza with only a few people around (most tourists and all the gadget salesmen were apparently still sleeping). There was a woman letting her dogs run through the piazza and it was fun to see them go flying across the square.

I am now on my own in Philadelphia, waiting for my flight to Seattle. Kevin and John and I hung out together until their flight time for their connection to Orlando. Immigration and customs were a breeze, and then we had some pixie dust and were put into an express line to security, bypassing masses of other people. While I'm looking forward to seeing my kitties and making my coffee just so I am already dreaming of returning (allora).

I feel really lucky to have shared these amazing days with all of you, and look forward to our next adventure!

So... We are home

Reality crept in when we landed at JFK, in Dino's words: "never never ever again with a commuter size plain out of that airport"

Let's just stay it wasn't the best way to end the trip.

With only 4 hours sleep last night under my belt, I'm getting ready for the next reality---- the office.
It's damp and cold here right now, but the little bird that lives in the birdhouse on the front porch is chirping and a bunny is out on the lawn having his/her morning greens.

I pick up the dogs and cats from the kennel this afternoon. I miss them so much.
Laundry can wait....
There are do many pages to go back and read on this thread to get caught up.
Perhaps tonight- if I can stay awake

Caio!!!

We got in about 9:30 PM last night and we were exhausted. Did not sleep on the plane(s) and rushed through airports so last night was hug the dogs, eat and watch a little TV until we crashed.

But I got up early today so that's a small plus. Kevin is still asleep.

I've just slogged through a giant pile of regular mail (still have to head to PO box and get more) and cleaning out email before I can actually accomplish something.

The good news is we don't have a TON of laundry to do - that bad news is that's because it cost me a mortgage payment to have clothes cleaned in Venice. I could have bought us all a new wardrobe!!!

It's hard to wrap my head around what an incredible trip this was. Not only was it long for us (3 weeks) we got to do and see so mant cool things I'm having a hard time recalling them all and putting the trip in in order.

The best part was spending time with all of you!!

A day didn't go by that I didn't laugh myself silly. Even our time at the Tuscan prison :) was made so much better by having you all there to laugh and share it with.

I don't think I laughed harder in my life than those bus rides up and down the mountain.

Looking forward to hearing about the trip, John! Wish we there with everyone, but there is always the next one. :rolleyes1

John said it so eloquently, that all I can add is that agree completely.

This was a marvelous opportunity, made so much better by the folks with whom we got to share it.

John and I have spent some time, just the two of us, in Italy....and it's beautiful.

It takes on a whole different beauty when shared with friends.

All I can say is THANK YOU for showing us that side of Italy

I don't think I laughed harder in my life than those bus rides up and down the mountain.

I was telling Tracey that when I sit back and try to think of my favorite moment of the trip this may top my list. As much as I absolutely love the destinations and everything was got to see and do it will be those bus trips up and down the mountain that I will remember for a long time to come. Haven't had that much fun in a long time.

I'm so glad everyone is finding their way back home safely. I've been following Matt's progress via Facebook. I don't know how he survives the, what seems like, days and days of airplanes and airports.

Thanks again for a fabulous trip with fabulous people!! I say we keep this thread going and pretend that we're still planning a trip to Italy...let's not let it go...

Need to post that without a doubt, this was a trip to always remember.

Sights and experiences were great and this group was fantastic to travel with, so much fun!

I don't think our ABD guides will get over their first DIS experience for quite a while.

Thanks to all for your help with my getting around during the trip, I had so many friends that made the trip a lot easier for me.

Frank

A day didn't go by that I didn't laugh myself silly. Even our time at the Tuscan prison :) was made so much better by having you all there to laugh and share it with.

Boy, Pete wasn't kidding when he said you guys were going to have quite the story to share when you do your Trip Report on the Podcast!

Sayhello

This trip was Awesome ...... because it was shared with all of you .:grouphug:

Laundry is done.. :laundy: now that I have my suitcase which arrived at 5:33 Sunday Morning . I guess it just needed to stay one more day in Venice .. glad it could, sad we couldn't..
John went back to work today - I go back tomorrow... already had an email from the boss asking where I was :confused: !! UGH .

I agree with Christy, lets just keep this thread going ..JUST for US !! :cheer2:

Hugs to all

We are Waiting at Dulles for our final leg home. I thought I would get to see a fight between skycap and a gate agent but it fizzled.

We have many memories to sort through. Switzerland, which at first seemed like it was a mistake, turned into a breath-taking experience. I don't think I have taken as many photos in one day as I did on Saturday. We topped it off with authentic Swiss cheese fondue, which was so good, we didn't get the chocolate fondue!

I woke up on Saturday and realized we didn't have a schedule. Funny thing is that I didn't feel we were on a schedule in Italy.

I will miss the Tuscan tower of terror for the fun, though not for the drive (Bravissimo Franco). I look forward to the next time we meet; it will not be soon enough.

Laundry is done.. :laundy: now that I have my suitcase which arrived at 5:33 Sunday Morning . I guess it just needed to stay one more day in Venice .. glad it could, sad we couldn't..
John went back to work today - I go back tomorrow... already had an email from the boss asking where I was :confused: !! UGH .

I agree with Christy, lets just keep this thread going ..JUST for US !! :cheer2:

Hugs to all

So glad your suitcase finally decided it wanted to come home...I can understand the need to stay in Venice one more day though. :goodvibes

We are Waiting at Dulles for our final leg home. I thought I would get to see a fight between skycap and a gate agent but it fizzled.

We have many memories to sort through. Switzerland, which at first seemed like it was a mistake, turned into a breath-taking experience. I don't think I have taken as many photos in one day as I did on Saturday. We topped it off with authentic Swiss cheese fondue, which was so good, we didn't get the chocolate fondue!

I woke up on Saturday and realized we didn't have a schedule. Funny thing is that I didn't feel we were on a schedule in Italy.

I will miss the Tuscan tower of terror for the fun, though not for the drive (Bravissimo Franco). I look forward to the next time we meet; it will not be soon enough.

So glad that you and Cathie enjoyed your extra time in Switzerland!

I was just watching the short snippet of video that I took on our way up the Tuscan Tower of Terror on that first day. You can hear all of the laughter in the background...it is definitely the hardest I've laughed in a long time...well that and the night of musicians and the animal hats...

Well I think I am the last one to get home. Now to think about laundry :laundy:

Matt

You mean they don't do your laundry in those first class suites?? Welcome home and hope your move goes smoothly.

So glad that you and Cathie enjoyed your extra time in Switzerland!

I was just watching the short snippet of video that I took on our way up the Tuscan Tower of Terror on that first day. You can hear all of the laughter in the background...it is definitely the hardest I've laughed in a long time...well that and the night of musicians and the animal hats...

It was a trip of laughter, which was one of my favorite things as well.

Well I think I am the last one to get home. Now to think about laundry :laundy:

Matt

Welcome home! Glad you were able to change your plans when you wanted to just get back and get started on the next part of your life. Good luck with packing and moving, and finding a super cool place to live for this next stage!

I'm glad to hear that your time in Switzerland was outstanding, and I can't wait to see the pictures!

Need to post that without a doubt, this was a trip to always remember.

Sights and experiences were great and this group was fantastic to travel with, so much fun!

I don't think our ABD guides will get over their first DIS experience for quite a while.

Thanks to all for your help with my getting around during the trip, I had so many friends that made the trip a lot easier for me.

Frank

I'm so glad you were able to make this trip! It wouldn't have been the same without you. :goodvibes

Hugs to all

I hope your suitcase had some good stories to tell! It was fantastic to travel with you again, and I look forward to the next one!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter