The Genie Usage, Tips and Strategy ONLY Thread

Does anyone know if I can book LL reservations starting at 7am on the day we arrive if we are not checking in to our resort until 2pm? Hoping we can get some for later in the day.

When I practice this has happened a lot to me. But only for HS. Never freezes or glitches for other parks. It’s got me worried about day of. It locked me out for about 3 min and when went back into HS stuff was gone.

I have had it happen a couple of times when playing at home right at 7AM. I have attributed it to heavy traffic. If it spins for more than about 10 seconds I close and reopen the app because after that long the next thing to open up usually seems to be the “Something Went Wrong” page.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app but getting same results. I can see my park and hotel reservations, friends, current wait times, etc.. But still getting "something went wrong" on tips page. I have a new pixel 6 Android which is up to date. I'm located in Canada right now if that matters.. Really really hoping I am misunderstanding something. I want to get familiar with the app now so we are prepared for our trip in March. Appreciate any help anyone can provide. Thank you!
You are not the first Canadian to report a tip board problem on this thread. See post 1644 on page 83. There may have been others.

Reactions: mjf
I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app but getting same results. I can see my park and hotel reservations, friends, current wait times, etc.. But still getting "something went wrong" on tips page. I have a new pixel 6 Android which is up to date. I'm located in Canada right now if that matters.. Really really hoping I am misunderstanding something. I want to get familiar with the app now so we are prepared for our trip in March. Appreciate any help anyone can provide. Thank you!
I have read here (not personally experienced) both Canadians and android users having issues.

I have read here (not personally experienced) both Canadians and android users having issues.

Thank you for this.. a couple of things we have figured out in case this helps anyone who is trying to use the Tips board while still in Canada or elsewhere..

- Android phones while in Canada can't access Tips board. We got an error using Cell Data and home wifi. 3 different Android phones, all running the latest app. Error "something went wrong"
- iPad using same home wifi in Canada works :)
- Android phone using activated US AT&T SIM while still located in Canada also works :)

We only have one US SIM card so hoping there are no issues with the other 2 Android phones using Disney wifi once we are there.

Thanks everyone!

Question - I was chatting with a friend yesterday who has just returned from Disney last week and I told her for Epcot that our plan was to book an ILL$ for Rat, and then get a G+ for TT and then go to Frozen first and hope we can ride Frozen and then back track to TT to ride it before (1.) the non-resort guests are let in and (2.) before our G+ time so we can ride it twice...

and she said that TT can be down a lot in the am and therefore my G+ could turn into an "anytime" FP - in that case can I still book another G+ for TT since I technically never used my G+?

thanks!

Excuse me....anyone happen to know the answer to my question...👆

[
Question - I was chatting with a friend yesterday who has just returned from Disney last week and I told her for Epcot that our plan was to book an ILL$ for Rat, and then get a G+ for TT and then go to Frozen first and hope we can ride Frozen and then back track to TT to ride it before (1.) the non-resort guests are let in and (2.) before our G+ time so we can ride it twice...

and she said that TT can be down a lot in the am and therefore my G+ could turn into an "anytime" FP - in that case can I still book another G+ for TT since I technically never used my G+?

thanks!
This heat map shows Test Track for Feb. Grey means it was closed/down. Please note many days the park didn’t open until 9:00 so Grey in the first block does not always equal the ride being down.

Last edited:
[

This heat map shows Test Track for Feb. Grey means it was closed/down. Please note many days the park didn’t open until 9:00 so Grey in the first block does not always equal the ride bring down.
View attachment 651279

I appreciate that information but I guess my real question was: If a ride goes down and your G+ changes to an anytime pass, can you then get another G+ for that same ride if there are remaining G+ to get or have you used up your one G+ per applicable ride?

Can you have multiple people signed into the same account at 7AM looking for different options, or does everyone need to be on their own account? Going with kids that don't have their own account but there are a wiz with iPhones!

I appreciate that information but I guess my real question was: If a ride goes down and your G+ changes to an anytime pass, can you then get another G+ for that same ride if there are remaining G+ to get or have you used up your one G+ per applicable ride?
You may only get 1 G+ for an attraction per day. If it goes down and you are given an anytime pass you can wait and use it for the original attraction (TT for you) if it comes ba k up or, a different eligible attraction. If you use the replacement anytime LL for a different attraction you will need to wait in standby if you wish to ride the original attraction you had a LL for. In your example TT.
Can you have multiple people signed into the same account at 7AM looking for different options, or does everyone need to be on their own account? Going with kids that don't have their own account but there are a wiz with iPhones!
You can have multiple people signed into the same account.

The Everything Genie… thread explains the new system in great detail in the first few posts.

So we just added G+ to our length of stay tickets. DH convinced me that since we planned for half of them already to go ahead and add it so it would just be there and done. Overwhelming.

Pertinent details: June 18-24. 6 day park hopper tickets only planning 2 ADR, one for being on a rest day so very flexible. Not our first rodeo, kids 15 and 22(former DCP). We like rope drop, summer heat break, close.

1. ROTR at least once is a priority. Theoretically plan to try for this every morning. So, if DHS isnt our first park, should the strategy be to have one person trying for this and one trying for first available in morning park? If we get Rise, start stacking for DHS for that pm?

2.We will try tap and go at MK on our second day and don’t plan to hop that day so we will see how that goes.

3. If we don’t get ROTR- does anyone anywhere have a good strategy for figuring best park to hop to - should we try to base on G+ availability? Ex: no ROTR. Start Epcot. Best to try to get FEA, TT there and then see what the evening availability is looking like at other parks around 11? What are the chances of having both of those before noon?

I just know someone out there more analytically minded than me can figure this out. I’m usually a down to the hour planner and the idea of going with the flow and flexibility is both daunting and exhilarating.

When you say you will theoretically try for ROTR every morning is that because you want to do it multiple times?

If you follow the tips on the board for continuing to look for ROTR even after they first run out in the first minute there is a high probability that you can get one any day that you want one.

In short, some additional slots for ROTR generally appear around 7:10 and a few other times between 7 and 8.

So we just added G+ to our length of stay tickets. DH convinced me that since we planned for half of them already to go ahead and add it so it would just be there and done. Overwhelming.

Pertinent details: June 18-24. 6 day park hopper tickets only planning 2 ADR, one for being on a rest day so very flexible. Not our first rodeo, kids 15 and 22(former DCP). We like rope drop, summer heat break, close.

1. ROTR at least once is a priority. Theoretically plan to try for this every morning. So, if DHS isnt our first park, should the strategy be to have one person trying for this and one trying for first available in morning park? If we get Rise, start stacking for DHS for that pm?

2.We will try tap and go at MK on our second day and don’t plan to hop that day so we will see how that goes.

3. If we don’t get ROTR- does anyone anywhere have a good strategy for figuring best park to hop to - should we try to base on G+ availability? Ex: no ROTR. Start Epcot. Best to try to get FEA, TT there and then see what the evening availability is looking like at other parks around 11? What are the chances of having both of those before noon?

I just know someone out there more analytically minded than me can figure this out. I’m usually a down to the hour planner and the idea of going with the flow and flexibility is both daunting and exhilarating.

Also keep in mind that the shortest waits of the day are generally just before closing time.

For example, last Friday Rise had an actual reported wait of 20 minutes about a half hour before park close. The posted wait at the time was 55.

This may be a viable option.

My experience with the ILL last week was that they would generally all initially disappear within less than a minute. However, all is not lost. I also noted that a large amount of additional ILL times would drop between 7:11 and 7:18. Keep refreshing during that time frame and you’ll likely get one. This happened on ROTR, SDMT, and Remy for me, and I was successful in grabbing ILLs on that second drop.

Was playing around the app this morning (practicing for our April trip) and trying to load the HWS Tip board I got an error message. I did this at exactly 7:00AM and by the time I stopped getting an error message at 7:02 there was no more ROTR LL+ left.

Anyone know what this might be? Was it just an app glitch or specific to me? I recently added genie+ to my trip so wondering if that has anything to do with it. I will keep checking and practicing of course but now I’m stressed about this happening on our trip (we have two Hollywood studios days but still).The amount of time I’ve put into strategizing genie + is embarrassing lol.

When you say you will theoretically try for ROTR every morning is that because you want to do it multiple times?
There is a chance DH may want to do it twice, but I’m just thinking of the worst case scenarios if not getting it on the day I really want it.
This may be a viable option.
Sorry, got backspace happy. My family prefers slinky at night, so it’s usually our closing park ride. But may use this as a back pocket option, also.

Remind me please- if a ride is down during your genie plus window, are they giving the multi-experience pass to replace it? I know they did in November but I feel like I read somewhere that they don’t anymore….

Remind me please- if a ride is down during your genie plus window, are they giving the multi-experience pass to replace it? I know they did in November but I feel like I read somewhere that they don’t anymore….
Yes they do. It happened to us last month when Toy Story Mania was down during our window. We could use it on anything except RotR or SDD.

If you follow the tips on the board for continuing to look for ROTR even after they first run out in the first minute there is a high probability that you can get one any day that you want one.

In short, some additional slots for ROTR generally appear around 7:10 and a few other times between 7 and 8.
I concur assuming you are staying onsite.

FYI, response from Disney Support regarding Canadian Android issues

Thanks for contacting the Digital Guest Experience team.

We're sorry to hear about the troubles you're having with Disney Genie. We are aware of the issue you are reporting, and our technical teams are hard at work resolving this issue in a future update.

Meanwhile, you may wish to view the Map (second tab on on bottom menu) in order to view Wait Times for attractions or view dining locations. When you're in-park please turn on the Disney-WiFi in order for your app to recognize you're in the US.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter