The Genie Usage, Tips and Strategy ONLY Thread

On that thrill data map, does the green signify lots of availability, yellow and orange less availability and red even less availability? And the grey areas no availability?
Thanks for an explanation!
From the Thrill-Data website: "This graph indicates Lightning Lane availability at Walt Disney World. A non-gray color indicates that Genie+ Lightning Lane or Individual Lightning Lane can be purchased, and the return time. Greener colors indicate return times earlier in the day were available; orange to red indicates return times later in the day were available. Hover over items to see the current return time in 24 hour decimal notation. "

Thank you. Is there any ability to select later return times if they are available for either the ILL’s or the G+ rides? I assume not correct ?

do you think 7:10 will give me an afternoon shot for jungle cruise? (That’s take off time)

I would also like to nab Snow White for the afternoon at that point ideally.
I would anticipate yes re: grabbing times before takeoff for attractions where LL fill quickly. E.g. We wanted an afternoon for SDD. I was online right at 7AM, pulled down to refresh my screen twice (so maybe 10 seconds total?) and already times were in the afternoon. I grabbed one at approx 7:00:10 and got a return time after 3:00PM. Hopefully you'll be able to get afternoon for Jungle Cruise but it will depend on the day as it doesn't fill as quickly as SDD does. Just keep trying is my only suggestion. Sorry.

Re: Snow White are you asking about Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (SCMT)? Only asking because Disneyland has a Snow White attraction and their G+ and ILL$ is very different at DL than WDW.

If you're asking about SDMT, you will see the earliest time available on the screen but when you click in to purchase it you will be offered more times to select from so can choose a later time.

I have followed this board for a long time. I have read the first pages too, so please forgive me. I have an April trip and just want to make sure I know what to do.
1.) everything I read is to grabl the next LL after double tapping into attraction. Is that just to get the quickest next available or is there a short window that is avail that will close if you don’t grab one. Or can I ride the ride and then do LL after the ride?
2.) I Am worried that if my party of 4 are at HS and two of us grab a ToT for 9:45 and two of us do RnRc for 10:00 how will that affect the next genie plus that I want to book for all four at same time do I just wait til the people get off at 10? does this mess it up

No, the color spectrum indicates return time. Green (early) => Yellow => Orange => Red (late) => Grey (none)
Any color block other than Grey means there was LL availability, it's a question of how early a return time.

Generally the color progresses along the spectrum over time on a given day as LL's sell out. But. When the color goes the other direction (eg from Orange to Yellow, or Grey to any color) it's a sign that new LL availability got added. That's how you can find drop patterns.
That is a great explanation- thank you!

1.) everything I read is to grabl the next LL after double tapping into attraction. Is that just to get the quickest next available or is there a short window that is avail that will close if you don’t grab one. Or can I ride the ride and then do LL after the ride?
After you double-tap or any time after that you can try for a new G+. Most do it right away because of the high demand.

2.) I Am worried that if my party of 4 are at HS and two of us grab a ToT for 9:45 and two of us do RnRc for 10:00 how will that affect the next genie plus that I want to book for all four at same time do I just wait til the people get off at 10? does this mess it up
That is going to be complicated because the new G+ system does a very poor job of you giving you a choice on when to ride. That you can get a G+ split (2 people each for 2 rides) both ToT and RnR at the same window (or for any two rides, for that matter) will be virtually impossible.

After you double-tap or any time after that you can try for a new G+. Most do it right away because of the high demand.

That is going to be complicated because the new G+ system does a very poor job of you giving you a choice on when to ride. That you can get a G+ split (2 people each for 2 rides) both ToT and RnR at the same window (or for any two rides, for that matter) will be virtually impossible.
Thanks. Appreciate the advice.

Also make sure you understand the 2 hour rule for getting a FP. It is either that or the double-tap on the most recently reserved ride, whichever is first.
Right. So if I have a ride for LL for 10:45 (that I made at 7am). Park opens at 8:30. I enter park and at 10:30 I can make a new LL (2 hour rule) then I tap in at 10:45 and I can make another?

Right. So if I have a ride for LL for 10:45 (that I made at 7am). Park opens at 8:30. I enter park and at 10:30 I can make a new LL (2 hour rule) then I tap in at 10:45 and I can make another?
No, once you make a new LL, your next time to make one will be tied to that most recently made one (so after you double tap into the one you make at 1030 or at 1230, whichever is earliest)

I have followed this board for a long time. I have read the first pages too, so please forgive me. I have an April trip and just want to make sure I know what to do.
Post 5 of the Everything Genie thread explains it clearly. It was what I used as my guide when we went last month and it worked really well.

Back in October and early November, you could indeed have made new LL reservations at the 2-hour mark and upon later tap-in. However, it was pretty obviously an unintended loophole. Disney got around to fixing it shortly before Thanksgiving. Beware any videos and blogposts about Genie+ that were made in October. The system has changed since then.

I would anticipate yes re: grabbing times before takeoff for attractions where LL fill quickly. E.g. We wanted an afternoon for SDD. I was online right at 7AM, pulled down to refresh my screen twice (so maybe 10 seconds total?) and already times were in the afternoon. I grabbed one at approx 7:00:10 and got a return time after 3:00PM. Hopefully you'll be able to get afternoon for Jungle Cruise but it will depend on the day as it doesn't fill as quickly as SDD does. Just keep trying is my only suggestion. Sorry.

Re: Snow White are you asking about Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (SCMT)? Only asking because Disneyland has a Snow White attraction and their G+ and ILL$ is very different at DL than WDW.

If you're asking about SDMT, you will see the earliest time available on the screen but when you click in to purchase it you will be offered more times to select from so can choose a later time.

yes SDMT, thank you much !

For a morning at HS, which ride am I most likely to get a 9 am Genie+ for? MMRR, TT or MFSR? I have been studying the drops and I'm trying to organize a strategy where I book Genie+ rides right after using them but it's pretty dependent on actually getting a 9 am!

For a morning at HS, which ride am I most likely to get a 9 am Genie+ for? MMRR, TT or MFSR? I have been studying the drops and I'm trying to organize a strategy where I book Genie+ rides right after using them but it's pretty dependent on actually getting a 9 am!
Usually when I see TT I think Test Track (at Epcot) but I think you mean Tower to Terror (usually I see ToT for that).

I am in the same boat as you. I have gathered that while G+ is in the current state of operation I will be better off trying to get my first G+ (I will call that G+ #1) that has a window opening before the 2 hour after park opening rule kicks in. So here is the strategy I plan to follow:
  1. At 7AM try and get G+ #1 with a window that opens before 11AM (the 2 hour point on my day)
  2. Use G+ #1 before 11AM so I can book G+ #2 before 11AM after I double-tap
  3. That should allow better access to G+ #3 before 1PM (the 2 hour rule after G+ #2)
Like me, it sounds like you will not try to get SDD with G+ #1. Since that appears to be by far the most popular choice for #1, that gives you and me an advantage over many other G+ users.

Here was the heat map from yesterday at Thrill-data...
https://www.thrill-data.com/waits/park/wdw/hollywood-studios/2022/03/03/2022/03/03/False
Based on this data below it shows that MMRR was the least in demand of the three you mentioned and I would guess the most likely to have a G+ #1 available in the first 2 hours.

Two screen shots of the same data. One for all day and one only for early day when G+ usage is most critical.

Working on the same strategy for one of our two DHS days (we'll do Slinky the other day).

Plan to do Rock n Roller Coaster at 8:00 EE and expecting little wait for that. Since we are that end of the park, I figure that Tower of Terror 8:30-ish LL makes the most sense. (Will probably do Lightning McQueen at 8:30 if Tower of Terror LL not till 9:00-ish).

Will get 2nd LL for either MMRR or MFSR. The tricky part is the 3rd LL. Will either of those still be available at 11:00-ish. Looking pretty doubtful especially for our week which is the week mostly sold out.

Usually when I see TT I think Test Track (at Epcot) but I think you mean Tower to Terror (usually I see ToT for that).

I am in the same boat as you. I have gathered that while G+ is in the current state of operation I will be better off trying to get my first G+ (I will call that G+ #1) that has a window opening before the 2 hour after park opening rule kicks in. So here is the strategy I plan to follow:
  1. At 7AM try and get G+ #1 with a window that opens before 11AM (the 2 hour point on my day)
  2. Use G+ #1 before 11AM so I can book G+ #2 before 11AM after I double-tap
  3. That should allow better access to G+ #3 before 1PM (the 2 hour rule after G+ #2)
Like me, it sounds like you will not try to get SDD with G+ #1. Since that appears to be by far the most popular choice for #1, that gives you and me an advantage over many other G+ users.

Here was the heat map from yesterday at Thrill-data...
https://www.thrill-data.com/waits/park/wdw/hollywood-studios/2022/03/03/2022/03/03/False
Based on this data below it shows that MMRR was the least in demand of the three you mentioned and I would guess the most likely to have a G+ #1 available in the first 2 hours.

Two screen shots of the same data. One for all day and one only for early day when G+ usage is most critical.
View attachment 651951
View attachment 651952
Thanks for that! We'll see how it goes. My 4 year old is now tall enough to ride most of the rides at HS. Unfortunately it doesn't look like we'll be able to fit in both ToT (sorry I put TT, good call!) and Slinky dog in the same day which is a bummer. Maybe she will end up not liking one of them on the first go and make our planning easier lol

OH MY GOSH, I'm so overwhelmed by this long post/ changes etc and the new Genie+/ Lightning thing that you pay for. Can anyone recommend a place where I can read about these two things that Disney has introduced? Something with all the rules etc? We plan on going to WDW January 2023. Taking a Teen Star Wars nut. His life dream is to ride the rides and make a light saber. Trying to find a way that he can do this.

OH MY GOSH, I'm so overwhelmed by this long post/ changes etc and the new Genie+/ Lightning thing that you pay for. Can anyone recommend a place where I can read about these two things that Disney has introduced? Something with all the rules etc? We plan on going to WDW January 2023. Taking a Teen Star Wars nut. His life dream is to ride the rides and make a light saber. Trying to find a way that he can do this.
Everything Genie, Genie+.....

The first 7 posts summarize things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter