The Genie Usage, Tips and Strategy ONLY Thread

Yes they do. It happened to us last month when Toy Story Mania was down during our window. We could use it on anything except RotR or SDD.
In post 3 of the Everything Genie, (etc.) thread it says:

- If an attraction goes down during the time which you hold a Genie+ LL booking for, you will be automatically given an 'Anytime LL' pass that is good for any non-ILL$ G+ attraction from that time until park closing.

In the post I am replying to, it says the 'Anytime LL' wasn't good for SDD, which is not an ILL$ attraction. Does anyone else have experiences with Anytime LL's not being good for other non-ILL$ attractions? If so, please let us know what attractions and perhaps we can get post 3 of the Everything Genie, (etc.) thread updated/corrected.

- If an attraction goes down during the time which you hold a Genie+ LL booking for, you will be automatically given an 'Anytime LL' pass that is good for any non-ILL$ G+ attraction from that time until park closing.

In the post I am replying to, it says the 'Anytime LL' wasn't good for SDD, which is not an ILL$ attraction. Does anyone else have experiences with Anytime LL's not being good for other non-ILL$ attractions? If so, please let us know what attractions and perhaps we can get post 3 of the Everything Genie, (etc.) thread updated/corrected.
I can add a bit from my experience. BTMR went down and my LL was converted to an anytime LL good for a selection of ~5 MK rides but not all eg I don't think JC or PP were included. HM was, not sure of the rest. I remember the CM I asked saying something like it was valid for a certain tier of rides.

I can add a bit from my experience. BTMR went down and my LL was converted to an anytime LL good for a selection of ~5 MK rides but not all eg I don't think JC or PP were included. HM was, not sure of the rest. I remember the CM I asked saying something like it was valid for a certain tier of rides.

We got an anytime pass after Winnie the Pooh went down and we were after the merge point, and it was good on everything but the meet and greets, Space Mountain, Peter Pan, and Jungle Cruise (and obviously 7DMT). So that must be the same "tier" as BTMR!

It really depends partially on the demand of an attraction. SDD fills its LL return time within seconds each day. If they opened it to anyone who cad an anytime LL in a rough day in the park it would virtually grind the standby line to a halt.

I will update post one to say it is good for most non-ILL$ attractions.

Question.
I am landing in Orlando at 10am.

my expectation is to be at MK by 1pm.

So my goal is to stack a 7am, 11am, 1pm selection and get on a nice run of rides when we arrive.

7am will be tight since the plane supposedly departs soon after.

my question as a first time G+ user is how hard will it be to get a 1pm+ return time at or near 7am?

Will I have to wait quite a while? Can I select a later return time at booking?

will nothing at MK book that far out that early?

thanks for any advice on this.

Question.
I am landing in Orlando at 10am.

my expectation is to be at MK by 1pm.

So my goal is to stack a 7am, 11am, 1pm selection and get on a nice run of rides when we arrive.

7am will be tight since the plane supposedly departs soon after.

my question as a first time G+ user is how hard will it be to get a 1pm+ return time at or near 7am?

Will I have to wait quite a while? Can I select a later return time at booking?

will nothing at MK book that far out that early?

thanks for any advice on this.
Peter Pan and Jungle Cruise will quickly build return times. A couple of refreshes should give you a time that works for you. Also, with the attractions that go quickly, it’s quite likely that by the time you finalize your LL booking the time could be pushed out by a couple of hours from what you chose.

Jungle Cruise was down during my LL time innearly February, and I was given a multi-experience LL, but it could not be used for Peter Pan. Splash was still under refurbishment that week.

I appreciate that information but I guess my real question was: If a ride goes down and your G+ changes to an anytime pass, can you then get another G+ for that same ride if there are remaining G+ to get or have you used up your one G+ per applicable ride?
I don't think you'd be able to. I haven't trued so can't say 100%, but it seems to me the system would have already counted as you got a fastpass for Test Track and it wouldn't let you book again for that.

Yes, last week MMRR went down as we were about to load. They scanned an anytime pass, but said it was not good for RoTR nor ToT. ToT is NOT an ILL, but we could not use it there.

In the past, before Genie, this was also common. I've had an anytime pass not be available at 7DMT, Slinky and TT. This was all before Genie, but I believe it shows Disney's tendency to donthos when they feel it's appropriate.

Let’s say I’m ready to book my next G+. I keep reading that if you continue to search you might eventually find something decent to grab. Would
It be best to pick an attraction as soon as I’m available to pick my best Genie+ and then continue to search within the app for a better option or is it better just to keep refreshing until you see the Genie+ attraction that you’re happy with even if it takes 10-15 mins of refreshing? I heard that modifying your existing G+ Is not very intuitive. That you will need to cancel your G+ first and then take the chance to book. That better attar ruin with the possibility of not getting it in time. Hope this makes sense.

There is no modify option, only cancel and hope! If you look at the recent TP blogs, they chart which G+ attractions run out first. That may help you to decide.

I think this will all be personal preference, so you are about to get a wide variety of answers based on recent experiences.

Short answer (if it were me) is to refresh until I actually find what I want. Now this comes with a caveat....you have to be okay that you might refresh and what you want doesn't pop up within 10-15 minutes. In the old days of FP+ I could just grab any old FP+ and just refresh until I found something better. You had a back-up FP in case what you were looking for doesn't pop up. So in today's system, it feels more risky because in order for you to grab a last-minute cancellation quickly, you can't have selected a G+ because by the time you cancel your original booking, I guarantee that the G+ you saw pop up is long gone.

Here is what I did in our last three trips and it seemed to work good for us. When my next booking window opens, I would check availability and grab something. But if I really wanted a different attraction, what I would do is select my preferred attraction as my only ride preference in the Tip Board so it was pinned to the top of the page and I would begin to refresh. If I see that availability would pop up and go away once or twice, I would cancel my original booking and start refreshing. You can't hesitate, and you would have to be okay with whatever time you are offered, especially if your attraction of choice has no availability showing. On the other hand, if you select an attraction, then refresh the Tip Board for awhile as you look for your preferred ride and nothing is popping up, then you can decide to just keep whatever you originally selected. No harm, no foul.

I've done this on our last three trips and was able to snag LL's for rides such as Test Track, Toy Story Mania, and Big Thunder after refreshing. But beware, as YMMV. Sometimes the refresh would only take a few minutes. Sometimes it took longer. This is exactly like FP+ in the sense that those who don't give up refreshing will see the most last minute cancellations. Patience and persistence are key. I think most people don't have the patience for this, especially on vacation, so they give up after a minute or two. But for me I have no problem refreshing for 20-30 minutes if it saves me 2+ hours of waiting in a standby line for a popular attraction, especially if I'm refreshing while waiting in another line, transporting from park to resort, or just chilling in the hotel. Others won't see the value in that, however.

Last edited:
When I canx my selection and rebooked something else it would reset the 2 hour time clock until my next selection. After that happened I didn’t modify (ie canx and rebook) anymore. Just selected from what happened to be there within the first few minutes of me refreshing.

This was a little later on, of course. At 7 AM I took what was there immediately before rides sold out.

I thought I read that Ill adds more times in the beginning every so often? Mine train was showing booked at 7:02am this morning. Will more become available? If so, when should I check again?

I thought I read that Ill adds more times in the beginning every so often? Mine train was showing booked at 7:02am this morning. Will more become available? If so, when should I check again?
From what I’ve read here, check again at 7:10ish. Sorry it’s after that time already.

We're here right now. Fellow DISers--keep checking! Yesterday morning we thought we were sold out of ILL$ for RotR at 7. The system took too long to process my payment so it never went through, and then there were no more times available. This was at maybe 45 seconds after 7 am. But we kept refreshing and at 7:17 or so new times for RotR started showing up. We took the first one we saw--11:25 am--and got it.

Also, another note: If you have data, turn off your Wi-Fi. I had a much faster response time on MDE using data than Wi-Fi. I'm on the AT&T network, btw.

We've been able to get pretty much everything we wanted, just not necessarily at the time we wanted it. That part is frustrating. The other thing we noticed yesterday was that at 11 am (2 hours after DHS opened) the times for the next G+ ride we were trying to book (TSM) increased very very fast. I booked 2:50 and got 3:10. About 10 seconds later, the next available time was well after 4 pm.

Generally SDMT is available after the initial 7AM rush subsides. I'd try between 7:15-8:15 if staying on site. According to thrilldata there is fairly consistent availability during those times, see below. If staying offsite booking right at 9AM seems to be the most consistent. That's when we got ours over the holidays, we were in the car, DD had my phone and booked it.

View attachment 651750
On that thrill data map, does the green signify lots of availability, yellow and orange less availability and red even less availability? And the grey areas no availability?
Thanks for an explanation!

Peter Pan and Jungle Cruise will quickly build return times. A couple of refreshes should give you a time that works for you. Also, with the attractions that go quickly, it’s quite likely that by the time you finalize your LL booking the time could be pushed out by a couple of hours from what you chose.

Thank you. Is there any ability to select later return times if they are available for either the ILL’s or the G+ rides? I assume not correct ?

do you think 7:10 will give me an afternoon shot for jungle cruise? (That’s take off time)

I would also like to nab Snow White for the afternoon at that point ideally.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter