The Learning Curve

But now I have a question,.... For night shots of say the entrance to tomorrow land with the bright lights, what would you say I should try my settings at? I have been practicing tonight with street lights, but I know the lights are different there. Any tips ??

One easy way to handle this is to bracket the exposure. Set the camera for AEB (Canon) with +/- 2 stops and take three exposures in P or Av mode. One of the exposures should be pretty good. After that you can further tweak the exposure up to 2 stops with compensation.

Another benefit is you should have an underexposed image which you can use to copy and paste the actual light sources (which are probably blown out in the best overall exposure).

That's great advice from Bob and an HDR image would in all likelihood give you the best results here (using those three exposures). Here is a shot I took a few weeks ago which looked pretty good on my Mac, but looks a little overexposed on my PC monitor here at work (factory settings, btw). You can see that some of the brighter light sources are blown (the Laugh Factory sign and some details in the yellow and green lights).
538584042_BaKsV-L.jpg

This was 34mm, f/11, 8 sec. shutter, ISO 200

I'm sorry I don't have anything to add at this time.
Thank you Pea-n-Me and everyone else this is a great
thread. I need to sit and read through the whole thing.
Since I can't do that now I wanted to have it in my
subscriptions so I can come back to it.

Again Thank you.

Thanks for the filter info. I just found this thread and will refer to it often. I am having a lot of fun experimenting with my camera.

Ok I just ordered a tamron 18-270vc lens. Is this a good investment? Man I hope so or my husband is liable to kill me. LOL

Ok - I finally bought a DSLR when my beloved G9 died earlier this month. I couldn't see putting any more time into point-n-shoots even if two of my last three were freebies and great to boot! Well, now I have a Canon XSi which I really like, complete with kit lens EF-S 18-55 IS.

I'm getting out and practicing as much as possible and using Canon's online lessons, the manual of course etc. to learn quickly but I would really like some advice about the following.

As you can see in my counter below we are headed out west very soon for a big trip where I will be doing mostly landscape shots and some macro. This is a special trip with time to photograph and we don't expect to get back to Washington state for several years so I want decent pictures.

1) What limitations will I have with my current lens?

2) What is the strength of my current lens?

3) If I can scrounge up $100 - $200 to spend on one lens what should it be?
nifty 50? or what?

By the way, I had been reading this thread since it started (and related ones) and learning as much as I could absorb each time. I did scour the reviews online before I shopped for my DSLR and went out twice to actually hold Canons, Nikons and Sonys' in my hands. Canon just felt right and the controls were more familiar from my use of the G5 and G9.

Thanks!

Welcome to the club, klmall. I'm glad you've enjoyed the thread.

I think many people like to have a zoom that covers more focal length than where the 18-55 leaves off, to start. It's frustrating being out there trying to photograph something and not having the extra reach. I think my two kits were 14-48 and 50-150 which worked out pretty well for general shooting (for a while - I've since bought an 18-180 so I no longer use the kits, ie I don't have to change lenses most of the time.)

I think you should be able to do some macro-type shots with your 18-55 so you're set there. You will love the nifty fifty down the road, but IMO you'll get more use out of a zoom now (but of course it's all about personal preferences).

One thing I will share that I learned in going from a pns to a dSLR is that daytime shots around high noon are often overexposed, whereas on a pns they'd look beautiful. It's not the best time to shoot. (I think we discussed the phenomenon somewhere here, probably toward the beginning. Some people use filters successfully, but I haven't gotten that far yet. I tried using some, but then my shots were too dark.) A tip I read somewhere that's stuck with me is to find your light first, then find your subject. :thumbsup2 (It will almost never be at noon, LOL.) So you might think about planning some of your shooting outings for early morning or late afternoon/dusk.

Ok - I finally bought a DSLR when my beloved G9 died earlier this month. I couldn't see putting any more time into point-n-shoots even if two of my last three were freebies and great to boot! Well, now I have a Canon XSi which I really like, complete with kit lens EF-S 18-55 IS.

I'm getting out and practicing as much as possible and using Canon's online lessons, the manual of course etc. to learn quickly but I would really like some advice about the following.

As you can see in my counter below we are headed out west very soon for a big trip where I will be doing mostly landscape shots and some macro. This is a special trip with time to photograph and we don't expect to get back to Washington state for several years so I want decent pictures.

1) What limitations will I have with my current lens?

2) What is the strength of my current lens?

3) If I can scrounge up $100 - $200 to spend on one lens what should it be?
nifty 50? or what?

By the way, I had been reading this thread since it started (and related ones) and learning as much as I could absorb each time. I did scour the reviews online before I shopped for my DSLR and went out twice to actually hold Canons, Nikons and Sonys' in my hands. Canon just felt right and the controls were more familiar from my use of the G5 and G9.

Thanks!

You may need a longer lens... Even if planning on shooting landscape, there wil be times when you may want or need to zoom in. 55mm may not cut it. If I were you, I'd look for a longer lens. The nifty 50 isn't necessary when doing landscape shots. You won't need it unless you're doing low light or want to do close ups with nice bokeh.

Welcome to the club, klmall. I'm glad you've enjoyed the thread.

I think many people like to have a zoom that covers more focal length than where the 18-55 leaves off, to start. It's frustrating being out there trying to photograph something and not having the extra reach. I think my two kits were 14-48 and 50-150 which worked out pretty well for general shooting (for a while - I've since bought an 18-180 so I no longer use the kits, ie I don't have to change lenses most of the time.)

I think you should be able to do some macro-type shots with your 18-55 so you're set there. You will love the nifty fifty down the road, but IMO you'll get more use out of a zoom now (but of course it's all about personal preferences)......

You may need a longer lens... Even if planning on shooting landscape, there wil be times when you may want or need to zoom in. 55mm may not cut it. If I were you, I'd look for a longer lens.......

Thank you Pea-n-Me and DisneySuiteFreak for your ideas. Pea-n-Me, you are so right about DSLRs being more sensitive to bright light. I'm becoming more aware of that the hard way.

So my kit lens might not be enough for all the zoom I will probably need out there.

Do either of you (or anyone else....) have a specific recommendation in my general price range? I am still such a newbie here.

Again, thanks so much!
Kathy

I can't help all that much as I'm not familiar with Canon lenses at all. But from what I understand, they're fairly affordable, and you can probably find one in your price range. Take a peek at what places like B&H and Amazon offer.

Many of the zooms in that price range will not be "fast", ie have a wide aperture, like you would want to shoot sports and such. But for general shooting, to start, it should be fine. Give yourself some time with your dSLR to figure out what works for you, and what you're missing as far as lenses go. Then you can plan on adding those later.

I've found that buying lenses is kind of like buying furniture: sometimes your tastes change over time, or you buy something you love at first, but then wish you bought something else, etc. So it's good not to rush into anything. But general, inexpensive lenses are almost always good at the beginning.

Thank you Pea-n-Me and DisneySuiteFreak for your ideas. Pea-n-Me, you are so right about DSLRs being more sensitive to bright light. I'm becoming more aware of that the hard way.

So my kit lens might not be enough for all the zoom I will probably need out there.

Do either of you (or anyone else....) have a specific recommendation in my general price range? I am still such a newbie here.

Again, thanks so much!
Kathy

Im not familiar at all with Canon lenses either but you might check your local Craigslist listings under photo and video category for a used telephoto lens in that price range. I was recently looking for a wide to standard zoom and found a good one on Craigslist for a decent savings over buying new. I found most sellers on Craigslist will be willing to meet you and let you check out the lens and try it on your camera. I wouldnt buy one from there unless you can meet the person and inspect and try the lens first hand.

Will add that Craigslist has worked well for me, too.

I got both my 18-180 and my newest aquisition, a Sigma 24mm f/1.8 :lovestruc on Craigslist, both with a very significant savings over new. I also recently bought two flash units for less than the cost of the more expensive one alone. I checked everything out on my camera before I bought.

Now if I can just find the 70-200 f/2.8 that I'm looking for...

I'm not all that knowledgable when it comes to Canon either, but I do lurk on Canon threds and have found that lots of people would recommend the Canon 55-250 IS if you are looking for an inexpensive lens with more reach. You can find this lens for around $250 new (give or take) and it will probably be more versatile than buying a 50mm or dedicated macro lens at this point. Definitely before taking a trip to The World, if you want to try getting good ride shots, I'd invest in the 50mm or the Sigma 30mm. :thumbsup2

Thanks spinetngrl, Pea-n-Me, and annnewjerz!

I have just spent the last couple hours reading all about lenses on Digital Photo Review and the 55-250 IS has been mentioned quite a bit for a second lens in my situation. I think I will try checking around for it.

Everyone has been so helpful here! Hopefully I'll have some pictures to share in a month or so.

Thanks again!
Kathy

Again, thanks so much!
Kathy

This is really important, first thing you need to figure out is what you need the zoom for. Not all zooms are created equal. Canon has a cheaper 70-300 zoom that works great in good lighting, but is almost worthless once the lighting gets sketchy.

Anyone still hanging out here?

I need... inspiration, or something. Maybe plain old encouragement.

I feel like my photos are getting worse instead of better. :confused3

They all just seem really boring. Has this happened to anyone else? Where you feel like you're almost going backwards?

This is the last one I've taken that I'm okay-happy with, and it was over a month ago, but even here... is it just b/c she's my kid that I like this? Eyes closed--not so good, right?

3850701165_ae7f45b2e2_o.jpg

Critique welcome.

Anyone else struggling?

I believe there is a little "dip" where you're somewhere between brand spankin new and sort of figuring it out. How long have you been at it?

The cure is just to keep shooting! And maybe opening your mind to some new concepts by just reading, or studying photos, etc.

Normally, eyes closed would be a problem. But this is one of those circumstances where it's probably ok - who's eyes would really be open under a waterfall, right? The girl and the drops to the right are nice and clear, and the water coming down has a nice smoothness to it. Very good. I might try to keep shooting to get one or two where eyes are open, in awe of water, or with an excited expression, etc.

My personal taste is that I like deeper colors, but not everyone feels that way. It's also difficult to get those colors in bright daylight, where sometimes pictures look a little washed out. Filters can help here.

Now, I have no idea what that dark thing is in the top right, but I don't like it there at all. It distracts me from the subject. Turning the camera vertically here would have allowed you to capture all of the girl with a lot of the waterfall and none of the dark thing. Or positioning yourself or the camera differently may have eliminated it as well. Lots of ways to do this. Practice. Take a look at some articles on composition which will give you ideas.

You can also look to editing to help you make your pictures a little better when they're not perfect right out of the camera.

Anyone still hanging out here?

I need... inspiration, or something. Maybe plain old encouragement.

I feel like my photos are getting worse instead of better. :confused3

They all just seem really boring. Has this happened to anyone else? Where you feel like you're almost going backwards?

This is the last one I've taken that I'm okay-happy with, and it was over a month ago, but even here... is it just b/c she's my kid that I like this? Eyes closed--not so good, right?

3850701165_ae7f45b2e2_o.jpg

Critique welcome.
Anyone else struggling?
Don't beat yourself up! Shoot your way out of it learning from your disappointments..
Yes, I have times when I'm just what I call "rutting-out". Nothing comes out the way I envision it. Blah#! My digital trash can helps me move on quickly. Then I make a concerted effort to get out and shoot the same thing different ways ISO, F, filters till I'm happy.

I personally love this shot. It needs cropping (that dark thing in the background) but the composition once cropped would be balanced. It's spontaneous, candid and the subject is sweet and adorable. The color & lighting is natural the way it should be without harsh shadows.

Oh, bless you Pea and Deb!

I have had my DSLR about a year, Pea. Long enough to be getting frustrated with some of its limitations. (Nikon D60--major frustration source #1 is crappy high ISO performance, anything higher than 800 is really not usable--major frustration source #2 is the lack of in-body lens-focusing motor.) I really WANT to upgrade the body but (a) it's not the best time $$-wise for that and (b) I know there is a TON more I can still learn on the D60.

Thank you both for the critique on the photo. You are totally right about the dark thing (it's the bottom of a seashell, BTW!)--and see I wasn't even SEEING that, but now that you say it's distracting, I'm like "Duh!"

Still struggling sometimes with soft images and/or slightly off-focus. Especially with narrow depth of field with a moving object. Example: was trying to shoot a kitten at f/1.8. Thought I got a good shot, come to find out (once on the computer) that I had her whiskers and not her eyes as the focal point. Anyone have tips for that? Or is that just part of the deal when using shallow DOF and shooting a moving object, and you just have to take lots of pics to get a few right?

Also--anyone read a really good book on composition recently? Has anyone read The Photographer's Eye or Learning to See Creatively--any good?

B/c I think that's where I feel MOST "stuck" lately--composition, creativity...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter