The new Concierge Sun Deck Jacuzzi--just an extension of the main Kiddie pool???

Uncleromulus

Plain grey will be fine
It sure seemed like it last week!!!

In spite of the "rules" and warning signs, it was over-run by unattended Children on several occasions.

Once there were 6 or 7 small kids in it, actually running along the small deck, dripping ice cream cones into the water, and jumping in just as tho they were at the pool.

Another time there was a gentleman with his child, standing on the metal stars going into the Jacuzzi and actually TOSSING the kid into the water like a basketball!!

This Jacuzzi has an all metal floor and side, and when I sit on the bottom, the water is almost over my head.

The only time Mrs U and I could enjoy the thing was when we were the only guests up on the Sundeck.

Concierge must decide if they want a relaxing spot (as I think a Jacuzzi usually should be), or just another pool for kids to play in. It can't be both..

Wow. That would certainly ruin the private sun deck experience for me. I know Disney is loath to say anything about children acting up but this sounds like a safety issue as well.

Oh it is!!!

When we informed Concierge they reacted in dismay--even admitting an unattended kid could drown in the thing.

Sadly the signs about food, running and jumping, NO CHILDREN UNDER 16 W/O ADULT SUPERVISION--are all cheerfully ignored by oblivious parents who assume the rules don't apply to them.

Concierge will have a tough time with this since there is usually no one up there to enforce the rules--except an attendant or two who no doubt will be unable or unwilling to say anything.

Me thinks that it will unfortunately require some child to get hurt before something will be done.

But again--what can be done when folks ignore whatever rules are posted????

I won't be travelling concierge for a year but from what I understand this is the only water feature on the concierge sundeck. Also the concierge sundeck is not an adult area but an area for those who pay to stay concierge. Of course there are going to be kids in the concierge hot tub, much as there were always kids in the non concierge hot tub before it was removed. If you want to relax in an adult only area, there are two of those with water features.

OF course--but under 16 must be WITH an adult!!! That's the posted rule!! You really think 5 or 6 small kids by themselves eating in and jumping around in a Jacuzzi is a neat thing??

I sure don't!!!

And I paid for that Sundeck--my $$ is as good as their families $$$.

I'd counter by saying there are plenty of childrens areas where they can thrash about in the water--why drive me to an adult only area?? Let them go to the Deck 11 pool!!!

Of course this can't have a good result--either it's an extension of the kiddie pool or not. And since DCL is fixated on kids, they will allow this sort of stuff in the Jacuzzi--until some kids slips and falls while running around the top, or slams their head on the metal seats while diving. Then DCL will wonder how it happened----

OF course--but under 16 must be WITH an adult!!! That's the posted rule!! You really think 5 or 6 small kids by themselves eating in and jumping around in a Jacuzzi is a neat thing??

I sure don't!!!

And I paid for that Sundeck--my $$ is as good as their families $$$.

I'd counter by saying there are plenty of childrens areas where they can thrash about in the water--why drive me to an adult only area?? Let them go to the Deck 11 pool!!!

Of course this can't have a good result--either it's an extension of the kiddie pool or not. And since DCL is fixated on kids, they will allow this sort of stuff in the Jacuzzi--until some kids slips and falls while running around the top, or slams their head on the metal seats while diving. Then DCL will wonder how it happened----

Well yes bad behavior is bad behavior regardless of where. But the main pools can be so crowded as to be virtually unusable. The obvious solution would be for everyone to follow the rules and for the kids and adults who pay for concierge to both use the hot tub respectfully. It sounds like these particular kids/parents were behaving inappropriately. I'm not saying that's ok. I'm just saying, it's a Disney Cruise, it's an area where children are allowed to be, maybe give the kids a bit of a break when they act like, well, kids.

Kids will do whatever the parents allow--which today is a big problem since many parents are either oblivious, or they just think such behavior is perfectly fine.

The rule of having an adult with anyone under the age of 16 is intended to see that kids act peacefully--whomever wrote that rule knew full well that unsupervised children would act out in the Jacuzzi--which they did!!

The kids in the normal pool also must be supervised so I don’t know why you would assume the behavior would be different on the concierge lounge. As the area is for concierge families I would absolutely assume that it would be an extension of the other family areas of the ship.

The rule of having an adult with anyone under the age of 16 is intended to see that kids act peacefully

What makes you assume that? My first assumption would be it's a safety rule, not a "no playing allowed" rule.

Setting that aside, did you notice the concierge deck as a whole getting more use? I know on my last trip it was mostly barren aside from the two times they had the happy hour up there instead of in the lounge.

My guess is that a kid 12-15 years old does not need safety supervision!!! And playing IS a safety issue actually--when kids are diving into a Jacuzzi and running around a 2 foot wide "deck".

We picked our spots going there--any screaming kids and we learned to go elsewhere. So we really didn't see it on--lets say--a sea day.

My guess is that by allowing the Jacuzzi to be a swimming pool, the Sundeck will get more use--before that, wasn't much up there to do. Should add that lots more shade than before----

Last edited:
The kids in the normal pool also must be supervised so I don’t know why you would assume the behavior would be different on the concierge lounge. As the area is for concierge families I would absolutely assume that it would be an extension of the other family areas of the ship.

That's my point--the kids were NOT supervised in any way, shape, or form. The pool has Lifeguards --someone to say to a misbehaving kid to knock it off. The Jacuzzi has a big sign--cheerfully ignored.

Mark my words--we will be hearing of an accident at that Jacuzzi and then the finger-pointing etc will begin.

Was this Dream or Fantasy? We found the sun deck was empty a lot on the Dream when we sailed in May

This is why I would rather go to the satellite falls area when I need a few moments of peace. Nice and quiet and kid free

Fantasy.

And tho Satellite Falls is adult and quiet, I feel that having paid for the Concierge Sundeck that I perhaps might be able to enjoy it in somewhat relative peace.

But no--so as I say we picked our spots and did get in the Jacuzzi 2x when the kids weren't over-running things.

I've always understood that children are not allowed in hot tubs/jacuzzis in general for safety reasons. They may not know when too hot is too hot for their bodies and the water can be scalding hot. I know, even as an adult, I nearly passed out in one because I stayed too long and DH did get a burn in one once. (neither were Disney)

So, while most kids do go in hot tubs, I think the signs of 'no kids allowed' is a requirement from the lawyers. You'll see them in hotels, too.

In this Jacuzzi kids are allowed-- they must have understood kids would be swarming all over it when they put it in.

And if I do recall there is part of the posted rules that said NMT 15 minutes at a time for anyone. The kids we saw cavorting were in there for over an hour.....

To add that this tub is not what I would call super-heated---certainly not scalding. But still hot---

When I was on the Dream in October, the concierge sundeck was almost vacant. The only time I saw it get any use was during the "cocktail party" where they had an open bar up there at 4:30p, and even then there was just one boorish guy in the hot tub snapping his finger at the bartender everytime his mojito went empty. Note that the bartender dutifully complied and hand delivered the guy a drink in the hot tub every time he was summoned.

But I agree with you...any responsible parent should be supervising their children around water at all times. My kids are great swimmers, but they're not immune to doing dumb stuff when not being watched.

A toddler/small infant can easily drown in 4 inches of water. Tiny Humans are simultaneously incredibly resilient and incredibly fragile.

And tho Satellite Falls is adult and quiet, I feel that having paid for the Concierge Sundeck that I perhaps might be able to enjoy it in somewhat relative peace.

But no--so as I say we picked our spots and did get in the Jacuzzi 2x when the kids weren't over-running things.

I think this is where you lose me. These kids (or rather their parents) also paid concierage prices to enjoy the sun deck. I would not assume that any family area would be enjoyed in relative peace-that’s why I go to the adult only areas when I want a relaxing atmosphere.

Supervising a child doesn’t mean the same thing as making them act peacefully (although I agree that running shouldn’t happen on a wet pool deck).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter