The new Concierge Sun Deck Jacuzzi--just an extension of the main Kiddie pool???

IF you saw the kids walking around that small deck and jumping in to a metal Jacuzzi, you might change your mind!!!

Fixating on a difference between jumping and diving suggests you miss my entire point...

And this was our 5th Concierge cruise--I am well aware of how DCL is mostly about the kids.

It doesn't. We were concierge the cruise after you, and we accessed the sun deck from Satellite Falls for the soiree. You could easily hear the kids, the musician and the conversation from outside the walls.

That said, Satellite Falls isn't very well policed either. From sailaway to the last day I saw kids in Satellite Falls every time I was there.

Us as well--once at Sail away we saw a # of kids so we said something to the bartender at Satellite Falls. He told us he stopped saying anything since once before he mentioned to a family it was an adult area and the father of the 2 kids challenged him to a fistfight!!!

The only saving grace I guess is that they can only cram 6-8 kids at a time into the Jacuzzi, so that might limit the noise somewhat

Pardon me while I step on my soapbox for a moment.

I haven't sailed concierge yet but I can understand your frustration. A hot tub is not for diving, jumping in and rowdy behavior....period. Breaking the posted rules is not ok...period. It doesn't matter if it's adults or kids engaging in that behavior. You simply cannot do that in a small hot tub and not negatively impact the other people who are in there and THAT is when the line is crossed between "kids being kids" and unacceptable behavior. I work with children. I understand their need for active play, a need which is woefully unmet these days by the way. They are not built to sit still or be quiet and we shouldn't expect that from them. They NEED movement, they need to rough house and be loud and it's our job as parents to make sure they get the active play they need. However (and this is what's lost on too many parents) it's ALSO our job to teach them the appropriate times, places and ways for them to engage in loud, rowdy play. Their play should not pose an unreasonable safety or health hazard to themselves or others and it should not unreasonably infringe upon other people's comfort or cause potential damage to or loss of property. Allowing your kids to run up and down the halls at midnight banging on other people's stateroom doors is not ok. Allowing your kids to roughhouse in the pools continually knocking into and hurting other kids is not ok. Allowing them to chase each other recklessly around the pool deck spilling people's drinks or stepping on other people's belongings is not ok. Allowing your kids to be disrespectful is not ok. This is all behavior I witnessed on our most recent cruise. Yes, kids will be kids but it is OUR job to also teach them to be respectful of others and understand that there are other people in this world who have needs that should be considered. The way the phrase "kids will be kids" is used at times really makes me angry because when you use that phrase to excuse bad behavior you are implying that children are inherently bad. They are NOT! Children will do what their boundaries allow them to do and we are responsible for setting those boundaries. Active, loud play is normal for kids. Bad, disrespectful behavior is what happens when parents don't adequately supervise or teach their children appropriate behavior.

<steps off soapbox>

On a side note, there's a family hot tub at our health club that I used to use with my children but too many times I overheard a kid telling their parent they...ahem...relieved themselves while sitting in close proximity to me. You couldn't pay me to sit in a kid-friendly hot tub ever again.

once at Sail away we saw a # of kids so we said something to the bartender at Satellite Falls. He told us he stopped saying anything
Sounds like it was time to ask for his manager....

Jennifer 777 you have my admiration, I like the way you said that.

OKW Lover, are you implying the CM is at fault?

What’s interesting is I have found that the times I’ve sailed during “off season” the children on board were better behaved and supervised well. My first time on the Fantasy was during summer break and it was a different story. The crew seemed very reluctant to “ruffle feathers” as it may. I only saw the life guards in the main pools enforce safety. Otherwise, If a child or a family with children were doing something that went against a posted or spoken rule, it appeared ignored. I even asked a CM directly about an issue with handicap seating in the theatre, and it was met with an uncomfortable shrug and she walked away.

The argument that DCL is a kids’ Line is a weak one—kids are kids but the parents are responsible for teaching them how to act appropriately in public. Every cruise line, except for exclusive ones and lines targeted primarily at older adults, have families. RCI has just as many families. No one I’ve read so far has complained about children being present in this concierge spa. The complaint is that their behavior did not honor the posted rules.

It would seem enough people would have to complain on the comment card for changes to be enforced. If they are confronted with enough complaints, it would overrule the awkwardness of confronting a parent or family about their behavior.

It doesn't. We were concierge the cruise after you, and we accessed the sun deck from Satellite Falls for the soiree. You could easily hear the kids, the musician and the conversation from outside the walls.

That said, Satellite Falls isn't very well policed either. From sailaway to the last day I saw kids in Satellite Falls every time I was there.

This is really sad. Sure, DCL is for families, but I have to say that on our last cruise DD was 19 and we really enjoyed the adult areas, especially Satellite Falls. It was a spring break 2016 cruise on the Dream, totally packed, but we never saw kids up in that area. Not even one. If they aren't going to enforce the rules then we're unlikely to keep sailing with them. There are more than enough family-friendly/kid-friendly areas on the ships and as paying adults I don't think a little quiet space here and there is too much to expect.

This is really sad. Sure, DCL is for families, but I have to say that on our last cruise DD was 19 and we really enjoyed the adult areas, especially Satellite Falls. It was a spring break 2016 cruise on the Dream, totally packed, but we never saw kids up in that area. Not even one. If they aren't going to enforce the rules then we're unlikely to keep sailing with them. There are more than enough family-friendly/kid-friendly areas on the ships and as paying adults I don't think a little quiet space here and there is too much to expect.
Totally agree. The only reason the 2 of us sail DCL is because they have adult only areas. We are cruising again in Feb. and I will have no problem talking to the Concierge hosts about any problem that may arise. Ashley was great last cruise when we had smokers on the veranda next to us.

Yes, there are a lot of family friendly spots on the ship. One of those spots (as it is designated right now) happens to be the concierge sun deck for concierge guests. I know we will plan to use it on our next cruise and my daughter will be all over that hot tub like no tomorrow. I would suggest, if people want more adult areas that are sheltered from children (and I don't fault you for this, sometimes you just don't want to hear the commotion), send your comments to Disney requesting such.

It's unfortunate that they placed Satellite Falls so close to an area where children might be. But please don't fault families for using areas they paid and are allowed to use.

It's unfortunate that they placed Satellite Falls so close to an area where children might be. But please don't fault families for using areas they paid and are allowed to use.

It's not that families use it. It's that the parents don't monitor their children and allow them to be loud, rambunctious and, frankly, dangerously behaved. Top this off with this unmonitored chaos being smack in the middle of the adult area and it's problematic.

Satellite Falls is rapidly becoming an area that isn't adults only anyway. Like I said prior, every time I was up there this past cruise there were kids up there. This includes the toddler wrestling with his sister with no parents in sight. In fact, the adults near them were asking the kids where their parents were, but the kids didn't speak English so there was a language barrier.

Last edited:
It's not that families use it. It's that the parents don't monitor their children and allow them to be loud, rambunctious and, frankly, dangerously behaved. Top this off with this unmonitored chaos being smack in the middle of the adult area and it's problematic.

The unmonitored bit as well as the placement is more an issue to take up with Disney. If parents are not following rules, that certainly is one way to make them accountable. Also whenever someone mentions children being 'loud', I do side eye a little bit. Loudness is entirely subjective. To some folks, a child is loud if they are heard at all. I'm not saying that is your measurement of loudness but it is something I've encountered in the past. Dirty looks because how dare my child laugh or talk.

Mine will be using the hot tub but she'll be sitting in there like a little adult most probably. That's what she likes to do. Sit there, soak in the heat and then move on.

Satellite Falls is rapidly becoming an area that isn't adults only anyway. Like I said prior, every time I was up there this past cruise there were kids up there. This includes the toddler wrestling with his sister with no parents in sight. In fact, the adults near them were asking the kids where their parents were, but the kids didn't speak English so there was a language barrier.

That's definitely something that should be taken up with Disney. If people cannot self-regulate to follow the rules, Disney needs to step in and enforce.

Sounds like it was time to ask for his manager....

We thought about asking for an Officer, but then decided it wasn't worth the effort as none of the crew themselves showed any interest in doing anything.

What gets me tho is the impunity of these families ignoring and walking right past the signs saying reserved for guests 18 and over only. The signs themselves are too "vanilla"---need to be more sternly worded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter